• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you value nicknames?

2PercentMiltank

Got Miltank? :D
    Years
    I love giving my Pokemon nicknames. Yes, it makes me feel closer to them, and makes them seem like they're really my own, and not just like anyone else's Pokemon of the same species. I used to give my Pokemon theme names (such as all of them have Greek god/goddess names, or all being named after elements/gemstones or something), but lately I like giving them completely random names that make no sense.

I feel it gives me the advantage in battle. |D

Years
    I definitely give nicknames to pretty much all of my Pokémon in all of my games. It amuses me, really, and usually I go with a theme (I sometimes run into trouble, though, with genders; e.g. if I'm doing a Biblical names theme, as there are only so many women named in the Bible).

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I usually nickname all of the Pokemon I catch because they end up in my party usually at some point or another. And I try to avoid names like "Blaze" and "Slash"; hell, half the time I end up typing random characters and pronouncing it in my head whichever way. I dunno, I just keep playing with letters and stuff until I get a word that looks kinda cool. :)

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Honestly ...I don't even bother with them. :x
    Probably because I'm not creative at all, and I'm lazy. Good excuse, huh?
    If I can come up with anything good (which isn't always) I'll draft it on my Pokemon.

Folkedahl

Wizard
    Years
    I only nickname pokemon I 100% know I'm going to use in battles, and all other pokemon get released. For me, I feel like it's rude to not nickname them. I mean, you don't just call people 'baby', 'teenager', 'adult' their whole life, do you?

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I started doing nicknames in D/P, and I've made it a habit ever since. But only my party members. I've actually went through each region and replayed the games with nicknames. My nicknames tend to be semi-generic. Nothing hard to comprehend, but nothing too bland. Example, I named my Empoleon "Blitzen" after the reindeer and my Blaziken "Pele" after the Hawaiian fire goddess.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I don't do much nicknaming, but when I do its because I'm bored. The only nicknamed Pokemon on my wifi team is Gengar, nickmaed "Darkness:

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    I don't Value them much. I have used them and in fact find myself using them more these days. Though I don't really care for them all that much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I like to nickname my pokés if I feel creative in that moment. I usually only nickname my starters since I'm almost always keeping them in my party but sometimes I'll nick name a couple other pokémon I catch. I'm not very creative with them though and can tend to be generic. I tend to pick names from animes/shows I like too. Or, sometimes if I like a certain type of poké element wise and use it, I will nickname it the element it is in a different language. I sometimes do theme names too, but hardly. I don't think I've ever gone all out on nicknaming, even back in the day with my gameboy games. I did think "Squirt" and "Bulba" were awesome back in the day though. XD

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
    I think it's stupid NOT to nickname your Pokemon, and this is why.

Pokemon all have a species name, just like animals do in real life. Well, do you call your dog "Dog"? No, and why would you? To me, Pokemon are your trainer character's only real friends, the only things that stay with him/her consistently, all the time. Not giving a name to them is very impersonal, and sad.

hmw

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    i don't nickname that because i don't want to ever give it the wrong name
    and i only keep one of each Pokemon so i don't need to name them
    but i love pokemons!!!!!!!!!

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    ugh, nicknames. i like using them, but i always forget to change the names of my own pokemon. Its just one of those things i keep pushing back until i forget about it entirly :(. so i guess i value them, just not quite enough to consistantly use them.

Years
    My Pokemon HAVE to be nicknamed. If not, then the whole game just feels soo... empty.
    Besides, it gives you a sense of ownership when you nickname them. Just like what Ghostie said, you wouldn't call your dog Dog, right? I think nicknames is a necessity in Pokemon. It HAS TO BE DONE. T^T

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
    I always name the ones I plan to use. Worst part is I can take forever to do this. Generally it's not so bad, if I can't think of something I'll just wait until I do and visit the name rater, but I have begun a new game and then stared at the starter naming screen for like ten minutes.

I've gotten to the habit of not starting new games until I have an idea of what I want to name my character and my starter, now, heh.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I love nicknaming my Pokémon. It makes them special and gives me a reason to get attached to them, which gives me a reason to use them in battle. :( I used to just nickname them their names in NOT ALL CAPS but since Ruby, I've started giving them meaningful nicknames--be them fandom characters somewhat related to the Pokémon or simply their names in another language--and I've really gotten used to it.

I can't not nickname Pokémon that I intend to use now. It's also how I tell them apart when I have multiples. XD;

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
    Years
    I've been nicknaming my Pokemon since I was able to properly think of decent names (sometime around Gen III). Since then, It's always been something special to me, and it's gotten me attached to my little 1s and 0s--though they seem like so much more to me, honestly, like they are in their own world, and I'm interacting with them. HG/SS has only made me even more joyful with the interactions, but that's a bit off-topic.

Apart from my recent super-fast run through Emerald (though I do plan on naming them shortly), I've nicknamed every-single Pokemon of mine, whether it be Shadow the Shedinja, Tuvall the Quilava, Venru the Umbreon, or even Fishface the Magikarp. Names all the time!

Over time, I've found that I change the style of names I give to my Pokemon (as well as other things), and it's a way I express myself. Gonna keep at it~ :3

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
    I usually don't nickname my Pokemon unless I accidentally say that I want to because I'm in too much of a hurry. I don't because usually when I do, I just end up regretting the name.

When I restarted my Ruby version I named my Mudkip (now Marshtomp) Zeus, and I do really like that nickname. :P I don't remember if I nicknamed any others though. On Platinum I have Duskull's named Z, Tinkerbell and Grim because I wanted a male named Reaper and had to say I wanted to nickname them to see their genders. Those are definitely names I wouldn't actually use in my party. And I once had a Bill the Bagon (an accidental "yes I want to nickname it"), but traded him.

Back