• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you value nicknames?

Years
    Since the Pokemon games came out, we had the ability to nickname our catches,
    giving them a more personal feel. What is your take on nicknames? Does the nickname feature make you feel more attached to your pokemon, which are really just data, or do you find it childish and unecessary? Personally, I've lost zeal for it, I usually nickname my two best Pokemon with something generic like "Blaze" or "Slash", unless it's a special occasion like a Nuzlocke Challenge.

Last edited:

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    I'll nickname my Pokemon if I feel the need to,though I usually end up with 1-2 nicknamed pokemon and the rest of my party just has species names.If the urge strikes me to nickname my entire party I most generally have a theme I.E Characters from Movies,Books,Video Games or Mythology.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I name everything and I love all my names. Like Pants the shiny Arbok. She's great. :D

Hoppip

Hoppip used Solarbeam!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    I rather like nicknames, they make me more attached to my Pokemon.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years
    I used to nickname all of my Pokémon when I first got Ruby. I've since stopped doing that, but when I decided to open my old file again and just look at my Pokémon, guess what I found? A Rhyhorn with the nickname "Horny". I was like WTF IS THIS??? I can't believe I seriously named it that. Oh gosh. xD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I used to nickname all of my Pokémon when I first got Ruby. I've since stopped doing that, but when I decided to open my old file again and just look at my Pokémon, guess what I found? A Rhyhorn with the nickname "Horny". I was like WTF IS THIS??? I can't believe I seriously named it that. Oh gosh. xD

GURL I HAD ONE TOO OMG. I had a Rhyhorn named Horny on my Sapphire looog ago in 6th grade (so I was like 11?) and my friend was looking through the boxes in my PC and she was like "SYD DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS" I was so embarrassed. I renamed the Rhyhorn Conifer...she's (yeah...a girl named Horny, it was great) on my Emerald now. But eeee I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that. v_v

Years

GURL I HAD ONE TOO OMG. I had a Rhyhorn named Horny on my Sapphire looog ago in 6th grade (so I was like 11?) and my friend was looking through the boxes in my PC and she was like "SYD DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS" I was so embarrassed. I renamed the Rhyhorn Conifer...she's (yeah...a girl named Horny, it was great) on my Emerald now. But eeee I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that. v_v

LOL. I opened up my platinum this morning and went into the box, remembering I was trying to make my boxes filled with a live pokedex, and found 'Horny' the Heracross, 'Horny' the Rhydon and 'Horny' the Vespiquen, (Dont ask about the last one).

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    I have never liked giving my pokemon nicknames and i don't think i will ever give one a nickname.

Years
    @all the horny people.
    I used to give any Pokemon I recruited on Mystery Dungeon, and never got around to using, some childish name or
    a random scramble of letters. One day I was looking through the Chimecho Assembly, and found some Pokemon like "Stinkyguy the Phanphy",
    "Abcdelfoop" the Regigigas, etc. I found a Rhyhorn as well and my eyes widened when I found it's nick to be "Horny".
    A few moments later, I realized it was named "Honry" and that I spelt it wrong, I lol'd for about an hour.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    You will find nicknames really rare on my games. I believe the last nickname I gave my pokemon was to an Electrike. I named it Bluerike because it was my first shiny pokemon and I felt that it deserves a nick name :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't value nicknames as much because I don't nickname my Pokemon. I might nickname them when I get B/W.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years

LOL. My friends like to tease me about it too. But it seems many people here also named their Rhyhorns Horny xD Poor Rhyhorn. All the other Pokémon make fun of him/her for being horny.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i really like nicknames but alot of times i cant think of anything good to name them so i wait. the only one i really like is my pidgeot named saljane

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I like nicknames, but I don't find myself giving nicknames much. :/

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I love nicknames, but I lack originality and the ability to give good ones, so I just don't even bother.

Back