• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you want Ash to be replaced?

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
    Years
    Honestly, I want Ash to be replaced already... Not that I don't like him... It's just that I want to see his dream come true already...

Anyway, here's what I thought of:

Ash becomes the greatest Pokemon master, apparently, he disappears...
    10 years later, new trainer is introduced. He gets into a dilemma on his first day of journey, trying to chase a Pichu. He meets up with a stranger who offers aid. IN the end, he befriends (sort of) Pichu and it evolves to Pikachu, when he finally arrived in the lab, prof tells him to keep pikachu as his starter. He also discovers that the trainer is Ash. Ash then gets interested in this new trainer and offers to be his mentor.

Anyway, point is, Ash can still be included in the story, this time, in the sidelines... something like that -_-

Years
    Ash could never be replaced. Then where would the show go then. He was the show. Without him you don't have his star Pikachu anymore. What would you replace him and his pokemon with? The show just wouldn't be right without Ash.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Ash becomes the greatest Pokemon master, apparently, he disappears...
    10 years later, new trainer is introduced. He gets into a dilemma on his first day of journey, trying to chase a Pichu. He meets up with a stranger who offers aid. IN the end, he befriends (sort of) Pichu and it evolves to Pikachu, when he finally arrived in the lab, prof tells him to keep pikachu as his starter. He also discovers that the trainer is Ash. Ash then gets interested in this new trainer and offers to be his mentor.

Anyway, point is, Ash can still be included in the story, this time, in the sidelines... something like that -_-

You know, that's actually a sort of thing I'd think would go very well. After BW I'd honestly sorta wish the anime would just reset in a similar style like this.

I read in this old PC Magazine I dug up on how DOS got old and replaced by Windows. Now it SHOULD be that Windows is getting old and should be replaced. Ash is like Windows. We need a replacement based off of Windows.

Mostly because I can't stand the age-freeze time continuum in the anime >__> Still, the anime is going to need a hard reboot one of these days.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    They could just make a new character who is exactly like Ash but isn't actually Ash. Give him the Pikachu and the stupidity and everything. Who would care? The new fans probably won't.

The Red Chain

No. For the same reasons I don't want Pikachu to evolve :
    It's been soooo long now with Ash as Pokemon's main character that replacing him is almost out of the question.
    That's like trying to replace Mario or Sonic.. just.. no.

He's become the mascot character. Anytime someone sees Ash who was born before or during the Pokemon era, even if they don't -know- Pokemon like we do, still know he's from Pokemon and that he's the main character.
    That's just something that is not easily replicated. Ash is just too well renowned now that it would be stomach churning for someone else to take his place.

& I for one actually love Ash as a character.
    I love his stupidity, his immaturity, his quick temper, and his hard-headed will.
    He's just great to me, and no one will be able to do that personality as well as he does it. <3

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    No. For the same reasons I don't want Pikachu to evolve :
    It's been soooo long now with Ash as Pokemon's main character that replacing him is almost out of the question.
    That's like trying to replace Mario or Sonic.. just.. no.

He's become the mascot character. Anytime someone sees Ash who was born before or during the Pokemon era, even if they don't -know- Pokemon like we do, still know he's from Pokemon and that he's the main character.
    That's just something that is not easily replicated. Ash is just too well renowned now that it would be stomach churning for someone else to take his place.

& I for one actually love Ash as a character.
    I love his stupidity, his immaturity, his quick temper, and his hard-headed will.
    He's just great to me, and no one will be able to do that personality as well as he does it. <3

Solid Snake was the mascot character of the Metal Gear Solid series (Heck, one of the reasons it was named Metal Gear Solid was because of Solid Snake, in addition to solid graphics), and did that stop him from being replaced by Raiden and Big Boss? No. And trust me, if newcomers came onto the show, and Ash was not on it, they probably would barely even care.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I would have to say no. Ash has been in each season since Pokémon started and to have a change in him being the main character now would be a bit over the top; in my opinion at least. He's been a part of the Pokémon anime and franchise as a main for such a long time he's known as the anime's mascot alongside Pikachu. Besides if you think about it, if we were to have a change in the main character, would he/she be as good? Or if you like to think Ash being good is out of the question, would the new character be worse? v_v

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2010
    Should there be a new Ash?

I totally am fine with Ash being the main guy, but maybe there can be another series with a new person.... just thinking...

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    This is actually a route I would seriously consider preferable. Because even for me (coming from a guy watching and honoring since the beginning) Ash has gotten pretty stale.

But actually my biggest pet peeve is how much time discontinuum they put into the show. 4 Regions cannot possibly be crossed in less than a matter of a year. It even contradicts a lot of events.

Which is why I would actually prefer a fresh start with a new trainer. It would kill the discontinuum, let the writers fix their mistakes, and probably give Ash a girl, which is what 99% of watchers have been asking for.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    It would kill the discontinuum, let the writers fix their mistakes, and probably give Ash a girl, which is what 99% of watchers have been asking for.
    Or a man. Preferably a man. /shot

To actually contribute to the thread... I would like to see Pokémon be split into two branches: one continuing with Ash, actually letting him age; and another beginning with a new trainer.
    The first one should be closer to Pokémon Special in terms of drama and logic and such; marketed to the older fans of the anime. The second branch should be closer to what the anime is now, although with a new protagonist.

Another idea comes to mind: A new protagonist takes the stage, with Ash becoming the male sidekick of the series.

So no, I don't want to see Ash go- but I do want a bit of a change.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    That wouldn't be such a bad idea. We've had Ash for the past 10+ years, and I feel that it should start fresh at some point. It could play out in a way similar to Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, when the new character meets a grown-up Ash.

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
    This entirely depends on the franchise industry. They might want to change Ash in the future, they might not.

Over time, there have been successful franchise that change their protagonists over time, and others who don't.
    Personally, though, I'd be surely changing Ash to someone else, because unlike other franchises, I think Pokemon deserves a new protagonist.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    If you mean replace him, then I guess I wouldn't mind but I wish they could at least get him closer to his goal or something before they replace him, like win a league or defeat a champion.

Although, what I would like much better is another Pokémon series spin-off, they could still carry on with the main series, but it would keep things fresh and have a new main character.

I wouldn't even mind a girl.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, when the new character meets a grown-up Ash.
    That episode didn't make much sence anyway, Atem was supposed to be gone.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
    New Ash

Will not mind, I think in my opinion that he got pretty old on some, and changing him to a new character might refresh some and add a new story plot. I like the idea of the new character meeting the older Ash though. ;)

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2011
    That episode didn't make much sence anyway, Atem was supposed to be gone.

He was. That was actually Yugi who apparently grew up to have Atem's voice in both the original and English version. There wasn't a puzzle around his neck, so it couldn't have been Atem.

While I understand people's desire have something really different with the show, I don't really think that they'll get rid of Ash. They easily could have wrote off Ash's character ages ago, like maybe after he defeated the Battle Frontier, focus on a new male trainer, as I believe they would still want a male lead for the series, and give him a Pikachu, but they haven't done that in the past thirteen years. I don't think that it would negatively affect the anime if they did replace Ash or cause kids to be upset, but I don't think that it would result in a larger financial gain for the people involved with the series, which is probably what counts more for them than giving closure to Ash. Besides, replacing the main character of a successful series by this point doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm actually pretty okay with Ash being the main character. I wouldn't be against another series focused on a different main lead, but I don't see Ash leaving anytime soon.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    Very much so. He's just not a good character. He reached his character development back at the end of Kanto and there's really nothing left for him. Problem is, the writers will get rid of him as soon as they get rid of Team Rocket, which is probably never.

mou

Pokemon Ranger-in-training
    Years
    I don't really mind if Ash gets replaced or not.
    tbh, I'm watching best wishes because of Dento and Ash is just okay with me.
    tho it would be great if he retires in the anime and becomes the pokemon master

I'd be more interested if they'll actually age him.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    Of course not! If Ash got replaced, things would be very different. After 4 generations and a 5th one going right now, it would be a shame to have him leave after all this time.

Back