• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do your favorites die a lot?

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
Years
  • Can be in anything really. Do your favorite characters tend to be killed off commonly? How badly does it impact your opinion of the show/movie/game/etc they're part of?

Unfortunately I seem to be borderline cursed. My favorites have almost always died off in anything where death is a common (and some cases even uncommon) factor. Just this year I started up an anime that seemed interesting. I went in KNOWING a ton of major characters die out of nowhere and nobody is safe, but the VERY first death of a main character in the entire show was not only my favorite character, but the most brutal death in the series... it was also completely unnecessary and extremely avoidable.

Most recently, though, I found out a spoiler about a show I -use- to love (which I'm a bit behind in) that my favorite character dies... in a very "out of nowhere", "completely unnecessary" kind of way. Granted the show's quality has kind of dropped the last season or so, it might be what gets me to quit the show. I can deal with my favorites dying if it's meaningful or at least well done, but... a lot of the time it's not.

Please, mark spoilers if you name any specific characters. Preferably with the name of what it happens in BEFORE the character's name so we can look and see if it's something we're caught up with/have any interest in.

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • Can be in anything really. Do your favorite characters tend to be killed off commonly? How badly does it impact your opinion of the show/movie/game/etc they're part of?

Unfortunately I seem to be borderline cursed. My favorites have almost always died off in anything where death is a common (and some cases even uncommon) factor.

Same here. My friends have said I'm cursed too, lmao.
    A good portion of my favorite characters are dead.

Although, since it's happened so much, I've come to somewhat expect it. As a result, I'm not that affected by it anymore. I'm still going to be a bit salty, because it always sucks that your favorite character is gone, but I eventually got used to it. So character death doesn't majorly impact my opinion of the show/movie/game.
    I'd have problems if the death was handled horribly, but I'd get over it and continue enjoying the show/movie/game (that is, if the plot is still good, and the characters left are bearable).

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • To be fair, the writers do tend to know which characters will be the favorites, so whenever they want to get some emotion out of the audience, it's off to the chopping block.

That being said, I will stop playing a game for a week when one of my favorite characters die. I get way too invested in good characters, and when it's paired with a good story, I really struggle to move past some deaths. And thanks to the aforementioned tactic, it happens quite a lot when going through a more emotional story.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • To be fair, the writers do tend to know which characters will be the favorites, so whenever they want to get some emotion out of the audience, it's off to the chopping block.

That being said, I will stop playing a game for a week when one of my favorite characters die. I get way too invested in good characters, and when it's paired with a good story, I really struggle to move past some deaths. And thanks to the aforementioned tactic, it happens quite a lot when going through a more emotional story.
    The weird part is a lot of the time my favorites aren't actually the fan favorites, and quite a few fan favorites don't appeal very much to me. This is ESPECIALLY true in anime; reasonably true in video games.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • The weird part is a lot of the time my favorites aren't actually the fan favorites, and quite a few fan favorites don't appeal very much to me. This is ESPECIALLY true in anime; reasonably true in video games.
    Which is why a lot more of the niche-favorite characters tend to die off a lot more than the most popular fan favorites.

Let's take a look at Mass Effect to see what I mean. I'm putting the rest in spoilers, since I'm going to be talking about character deaths, and how they die.
    Spoiler:

TL;DR
    Maybe that's exactly what the writers intended to happen.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • Which is why a lot more of the niche-favorite characters tend to die off a lot more than the most popular fan favorites.

Let's take a look at Mass Effect to see what I mean. I'm putting the rest in spoilers, since I'm going to be talking about character deaths, and how they die.
    Spoiler:

TL;DR
    Maybe that's exactly what the writers intended to happen.
    Unfortunately I know next to nothing about Mass Effect, but I think I still get your point.

What gets me is a lot of the time characters I favor are characters nobody even pays attention to. Sometimes this is because they don't get as much attention and not as many people pick up on their really likable qualities, while others just... click with me. In these cases I understand why they'd be killed off, they're essentially expendable, but... it does suck being a fan of those kind of characters.

What's worse is liking a character who gets PLENTY of attention, but for whatever reason they just don't pick up in popularity with hardly anybody, so they're easy to throw on the chopping block. I think this sort of goes along with one of your examples, though that example included characters who have SOME popularity.

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
    Years
  • No, not really. No characters that I am attached to has died so far (I haven't watched TWD dead sooo...) But X, a character from Megaman that I actually care about is canonally dead after Zero 3 which sucks major Plusle.

Back