• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Does anyone else miss the old contests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarstheCar

I lurk often.
Years
  • I love Gen 3 contests. I hate accessorizing my pokemon just so I have a higher chance of losing because I don't have the proper items in Gen 4. I somewhat enjoy the dance portion, though.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • I've always hated the contests (not literally)
    I always lost, lol.
    I got pissed off that I was always the fourth one, and that the judges liked everyone else's Pokémon but mine ;-;

MiniM00se

Toad in a stroller
    Years
  • I haven't done a Gen III contest in a while, but I remember them enough to say that I like them a lot more than Gen IV contests. (And Pokeblock sounds cool to me :3)

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2010
    YES! I miss them soo much! I really wish that they hadn't added the 'super' part because I think it really just makes it more difficult and time consuming.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • i just think the dance and decoration should be scrapped, if i were a poke contest watcher i would watch for good looking move combos, not what goodies a trainer was able to buy to make his pokemon to look like something else.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
  • I used to do contests all the time in R/S/E, now I don't do them at all because they take too long and don't get straight to the point.

Since when can a Wailord dance anyway? o.O

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • I like them both. I think the dress up part of the Gen IV contests is very fun. I love making my Pokemon look good. =) The dancing part is ok as well. Gen III contests were more simple though and the mechanism for making PokeBlocks (the little spinny thingy...) was more enjoyable. Oh, Gen III had cooler combos as well. I enjoyed the III contests way more (they took up way too much of my life, haha >.<), but IV isn't all that bad.

Ankoku Flare

Artsy Dragon
    Years
  • I prefer the old contest from the gen IV ones. The current ones seem to drift away from the once they do from the anime. I mean they removed combos... And the way you had to dress up for a certain topic was very vague on information.

Years
  • For me, the Gen III ones are WAY better than Gen IV because:

a.) It has more of a strategical aspect and better gameplay than the Sinnoh contests, plus you don't have to have lots of dress-up items just to win a third of your total.
    b.) Pokeblocks were easier to make.
    c.) You can win more easily because Pokeblocks raise the stats higher while adding less luster.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2016
    I have no problem with the Dancing and Dressing part...

But I dislike it when they "change" the combos moves and they even take the jamming part for worst :( making it less fun...

KnilShadowLink

#1 Arcanine Fanboy
    Years
  • Although I'm not a huge fan of contests, I did actually enjoy playing the gen III contests (However I do hate the gen IV ones). I remember winning the beauty master rank contest with my Blaziken and winning the cool master rank contest with my Swellow. I think I liked the contests in gen III more, because it was 'Just another minigame'. Gamefreak didn't try to make them seem all cool, they had a little charm to them. The gen IV ones seem to be ridiculous...dressing up Pokemon? Having them dance? Why? What's the point? I felt it was extremely tedious to sit through the first two parts of the contests just to get to the 'fun' part, which wasn't as fun (IMO), because there were no jamming moves...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back