• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Does HGSS Surpass Platinum?

What's the better game?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    HgSs are better-looking. Sprites, graphics...are generally better.

However, Platinum has a better plot, more pokemon variety, more replay value (pokemon variety is too crap to vary your team in Hg/Ss), and the graphics, being halfway between Diamond (which I love the box-art for, and Dawn's design) and Hg/Ss, which are beautiful, have a nice feel to them. I love a lot of the areas, however both games have that effect...

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    IMO, HG/SS are better than Platinum. I feel that the graphics were better (or is that just me), of course there is the nostalgia factor, and its great how Pokémon get some new moves (like Aron's new HG/SS egg move, Head Smash). I did feel that the levels were too low for the game, and Team Rocket never really did any major damage. However, the Radio Tower fiasco was probably one of the most nostalgic things in the game for me, so I loved it. I was hoping Kanto had more of a plot. :( Also, I wish there were more spots to level up—I cannot train my team on level 40 Pokémon. Still, overall, its a great game and like I said, I find it better than Platinum.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • In terms of Pokemon? Platinum pwns HG/SS any day, every day (Sinnoh Pokemon >>> Johto Pokemon).

In terms of gameplay? HG/SS is decidedly better, although the man-candy is slightly lacking (Platinum has Byron, Cyrus and Looker plz <3).

So all in all, I can't decide. Whether one is better or worse all depends on what they're being judged for. XD

Years
    • NC
    • Seen Jan 30, 2012
    I prefer HG/SS, but G/S has a bit of nostalgic value. I'm currently playing through Platinum for the first time at the moment, and it's a great game - just lacking that certain "something" that I got from the remakes.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    HG/SS simply because of the Pokemon. I can't stand 4th gen Pokemon... my Platinum cartridge is collecting dust somewhere, with 2 badges earned. I just can't play it. It bores me to death.

In terms of Pokemon? Platinum pwns HG/SS any day, every day (Sinnoh Pokemon >>> Johto Pokemon).

In terms of gameplay? HG/SS is decidedly better, although the man-candy is slightly lacking (Platinum has Byron, Cyrus and Looker plz <3).

So all in all, I can't decide. Whether one is better or worse all depends on what they're being judged for. XD
    No. Just no. No, no no no no. NO. 4th generation Pokemon were some of the most unoriginal, horribly designed, overpowered machines ever to be named "Pokemon". Dialga... Palkia... Bronzong... Tangrowth... Mime Jr.... Arceus... Shaymin... GIRATINA... oh god the list goes on and on!

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    HG/SS simply because of the Pokemon. I can't stand 4th gen Pokemon... my Platinum cartridge is collecting dust somewhere, with 2 badges earned. I just can't play it. It bores me to death.

Then why did you buy Platinum in the first place?
    If you don't like the gen III, gen IV, and gen V pokémon, don't buy the games in the first place, nobody is stopping you.
    And don't say, "'Cos it's Pokémon", since you've already basically said that "the new pokémon don't even look like pokemon"
    -----------------------
    In my Opinion, HGSS surpasses Platinum, mostly because of the graphics, and the fact that you can explore two regions.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I just think HG/SS is more or less level with Pearl/Diamond where as Platinum is more for the advanced Pokemon gamers as it just seems like it was built on top of Pearl/Diamond when they're used as a foundation and added a whole bunch of new stuff to it.

Somewhat like Emerald is to Ruby/Sapphire and LG/FR. But HG/SS is by far much better than LG/FR.

Silver Metagross

Better than blue.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2010
    I like HGSS better because of newer egg moves. Not to mention easily passed down IV's. HGSS is a breeders dream. And seeing as thats all I do after the main plot, I give my vote to HGSS.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I never was a super fan of the Johto region but HG/SS made me love it a lot more.
    Pokemon follow you<3 & most things are on the touch screen for easy access.
    Everything just has a better design than Platinum.
    Those are probably the best parts for me xD

MidnightEclipse

Ice-Type Trainer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    Well, although I loved Platinum I eventually got bored, while in HG there is so much to do, with two regions to explore and everything.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2010
    Platinum had the nostalgia for me because It was the very first game i ever imported and i got so much joy playing it with my star Infernape...HGSS got much nostalgia after i imported it because Gold was my favorite game as a kid and the pokemon following you was a very nice touch.
    My verdict is that Platinum introduced new things such as the Torn world and HGSS got a pokemon to follow you which i did get sick of it...I got bored with both of these games after i got them in english so my verdict is Platinum because its the under dog and gen 4 got me back into pokemon

iForever

~ Forver Memory ~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2010
    ~ KEKE!

I prefer Pokemon HG/SS more than Pokemon Platinum, because I love the cut scenes when you're catching Ho-Oh or Lugia, but tops other games as well.

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    HGSS doesn't have much to do when you're clueless after you beat the Elite Four and collect all 16 badges. Platinum has a bit more of a fun, replay value. But overall, HGSS beats it because of its Battle Frontier, Safari Zone, Overall Story, Region and Pokemon of course. And of course the nostalgia brings you back.

Yoshikachu

Bring on the R/S/E remakes!
    Years
  • In my opinion, I preferred HGSS to Platinum by a lot.

There were two regions, which made the game much longer and the battle at the end was challenging because of such a high amount of levels between Blue and Red.
    There were starters that were an actual challenge because the rival's pokemon was strong against your pokemon and not have one type weak against yours.
    So Team Rocket were incredibly weak, but the storyline wasn't full of some random guy from a city under some roads, who was trying to make pokemon appear from inside a mountain.
    The menu in HGSS is much simpler and the Pokedex and the PC are much easier to maneuver.

This is my opinion and Platinum was a fabulous game, but HeartGold and SoulSilver were much better.

The battle against Red wasn't challenging at all i killed all of his pokemon in one move except Snorlax and Venusaur with my lv 100 Pikachu that i migrated from emerald

.Aqua.

Water Pokémon Fan
    Years
  • I'd say HGSS would be the winners in comparison to Platinum.

Firstly, because, things such as the Pokéwalker make a nice change. It makes it a bit easier to level up your pokémon & go outside while your pokémon in the Pokéwalker is growing slowly, bit by bit.

Secondly, it's a refreshing change to have your pokémon follow you around while you're exploring the game, it makes it a little bit more interesting.

And lastly, it's kind of exciting to have to fight more of the Gym Leaders and Elite Four, it makes the game longer, but in my opinion that's a good quality for a game as you get less bored of it & play it for longer.

tvoza2

Armored Skarmory
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2019
    Soul Silver is the remake of my favorite game to date, so I think HGSS wins

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • While I can't really give a critique, I personally preferred HGSS over Platinum. I wasn't a big fan of Platinum and would probably consider it my LEAST favorite among all the Pokemon versions. Only thing I really liked about it were the additional Pokemon forms (which was the only reason I bought it). =/

Years
  • i love the plot line and almost everything about platinum!
    but gen two was my fave gen.
    i don't know!
    Yeah i totally agree with you. second generation was sooo beast. and now with hg/ss its even more awesome. I got platinum and heartgold at the same time and when i started them both i thought platinum had a really good story line, but also heartgold was sooo cool because of johto region.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • As much as I like HG, Platinum has been my all time favourite pokemon game. It just brought pokemon to a whole new level IMO and Had just the best storyline.

Back