• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Does my shiny Charizard stats suck?

Years
    Hi all,

First time making a post here so apologies if I'm formatting incorrectly or in the wrong place. I'm a also primarily familiar with the old generations so I don't have a good grasp on the IV/EV thing. I do kind of understand natures though.

So, to get to it, I somehow managed to get really lucky and hatched a shiny Charmander within like 300 eggs or so. I think his IV's state best in multiple categories but his stats at level 100 are below some of my level 80's. Can someone who knows what they're doing look at the below and tell me if this guy will be good or is he maybe just best used as a beautiful shiny Charizard? Besides Gyrados he's my only ever shiny (and I don't count Gyrados) so I'm hoping he is competitive.

Health - 301
    SP. Atk - 242
    Atk - 231
    Sp. Def - 186
    Def - 193
    Spd - 215

If I'm right about what IV's are (which is doubtful) they are below

HP - Best
    Atk - Best
    Def - Best
    Spd - Best
    Sp Atk - Pretty good
    Sp. Def - Decent

So, overall does this look pretty good and I'm just being silly or is there room for improvement. If this is a silly question apologies but I feel so lost in whatever the meta is these days.

Once you beat the game the IV judge/checker function will open up to you, and can be unlocked by visiting any Pokemon Center from that point on. An IV labeled as "Best" means it has the maximum IV value for that stat, and you can technically increase any stat's IVs to the max via an NPC in Monteneverra by trading them bottle caps.

There are also other things that determine a Pokemon's stats, which are its Nature and it's EVs. Natures you can change by using a Mint on the Pokemon. EVs are generally obtained either by using vitamins (stuff like HP Up or Calcium) on the Pokemon, or by battling other Pokemon. You can have a maximum of 252 EVs in a single stat, and 508 in total. There are certain berries that will reduce a Pokemon's EVs so you can EV train them in whatever way you need.

This is the nice thing about more recent generations, and Scarlet/Violet in particular--you can fairly easily fix up a Pokemon's stats if it's not born with or initially trained into optimal stats.

Hi all,

First time making a post here so apologies if I'm formatting incorrectly or in the wrong place. I'm a also primarily familiar with the old generations so I don't have a good grasp on the IV/EV thing. I do kind of understand natures though.

So, to get to it, I somehow managed to get really lucky and hatched a shiny Charmander within like 300 eggs or so. I think his IV's state best in multiple categories but his stats at level 100 are below some of my level 80's. Can someone who knows what they're doing look at the below and tell me if this guy will be good or is he maybe just best used as a beautiful shiny Charizard? Besides Gyrados he's my only ever shiny (and I don't count Gyrados) so I'm hoping he is competitive.

Health - 301
    SP. Atk - 242
    Atk - 231
    Sp. Def - 186
    Def - 193
    Spd - 215

If I'm right about what IV's are (which is doubtful) they are below

HP - Best
    Atk - Best
    Def - Best
    Spd - Best
    Sp Atk - Pretty good
    Sp. Def - Decent

So, overall does this look pretty good and I'm just being silly or is there room for improvement. If this is a silly question apologies but I feel so lost in whatever the meta is these days.

I can check by running it in an IV calculator for you, but in order for me to do that, I need to know some other stuff, such as its current Nature, characteristic (such as whether or not it "likes to fight"), and if it has been EV trained at all. However, the best way to do this is to unlock the judge function after beating the game. When you do so, you talk to Nurse Joy at a Pokémon Center and she would give you the judge function. Do you have it? If not, we can trade Pokémon and I can tell you what your Charizard's stats are before trading it back. Would you be ok with that?

To add on to what the others said: Probably listed the IVs correctly, assuming you are taking them straight from the game's Judge feature. Suspects you mainly leveled Charizard through Experience Candies. Resulted in not getting many EVs. Makes a pretty big difference in the stats you care about.

For example: level 100 Charizard. 31 IVs in Hitpoints.
    - 0 EVs in Hitpoints: 297 hitpoints
    - 252 EVs (maximum) in Hitpoints: 360 hitpoints.

Do not worry, however. Adjusts EVs at any time. Recommends:
    A. Removing EVs in stats you do not place much value in. Accomplishes this via Pomeg, Kelpsy, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, or Tamato Berries, depending on the stat.
    B. Buy two of the Power items (Power Bracer, Power Lens, Power Anklet, etc) from the Delibird Presents in Mesagoza. Speeds up the EV grinding process considerably.

Covers IVs, EVs, and natures in this Daily article, if you want some more in-depth explanations. Lists where to find the aforementioned berries and Pokemon to EV train on, also.

I for sure used the exp candies :(
    Got to excited and now that the main game is over hard to level fast without.

Looking at the stats posted (I'll post them again for clarity) would you move anything around?

Health - 301
    SP. Atk - 242
    Atk - 231
    Sp. Def - 186
    Def - 193
    Spd - 215

I feel like there is no need for Atk and SP. Atk to be so close right? Like he should ideally excel in one or the other but I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Man this game got confusing : /

Thank you so much! It's nature is Hardy. It says it likes to take plenty of siestas. Doesn't sound great as far as stat building : /

I think I unlocked the judge function. Is that where the "Best, very good, decent" etc...comes from? It has not been EV trained (I honestly don't know what that means) as far as I know. I was very silly and used candies after a little. I would say like 80 of the levels came from exp candies which I realize now was silly.
    I'm kinda sad his atk and sp. atk are so close together. And both defenses seem low. But I did manage to take out the 7 star raid this weekend so maybe he's not awful.

Thanks so much for even replying. This community is really helpful.

I for sure used the exp candies :(
    Got to excited and now that the main game is over hard to level fast without.

Do not fret about using Experience Candies. Speeds up the leveling process by a ton. Shoves them down Pokemons' throats all the time.
    I feel like there is no need for Atk and SP. Atk to be so close right? Like he should ideally excel in one or the other but I have no idea what I'm doing.
    Man this game got confusing : /
    Gets a bit easier after doing it a few times. Kept the mechanics mostly consistent across generations.

Keeps IVs and EVs straight like this:
    - IVs: Inherent. Was just born stronger (or weaker).
    - EVs: Effort. Requires a Pokemon to train and put effort into improving something. Expects a Pokemon who lifts weights a lot to have high Attack. Works like that, but with punching Pokemon instead.

Nods. Generally recommends for Pokemon to focus on either Attack or Special Attack, not both. Suggests Special Attack for Charizard, as its Special Attack will be higher. So, in that case:
    • Look for the person with an Abomasnow in Montenevera. Bring a Bottle Cap or two. (Might have some already.)
    • While in Montenevera, visit Chansey Supply for mints. Probably wants Modest (+Special Attack / -Attack) or Timid (+Speed / -Attack), but pick whatever suits your fancy. Should reduce Attack, as you do not plan to use Attack.
    • Feed those EV-reducing berries to it. Stop feeding that particular berry when it says "Its base Attack can't go any lower!" (or whatever stat you do not want). Guesses 5 berries per stat at most.
    • Buy a Power Lens (plus the other Power item of your choice) at Mesagoza and give it to Charizard.
    • Head to Area Zero and beat up 25-26 Girafarigs to max out your Special Attack EVs. Do not use the autobattle feature. (Tip: Make Sandwich #80 (Ham Sandwich). Learns it from the Sandwich Shop in various towns, if you do not have it. Gives you Encounter Power: Normal Level 1. Finds Girafarig much easier that way.)

Visit your Pokemon's summary screen to check EVs. Might need to hit L to switch graphs. Looks like this:
    [PokeCommunity.com] Does my shiny Charizard stats suck?
    Maxed out this Iron Moth's EVs in Hitpoints and Special Attack, as indicated by the light blue bit. Sparkles when you have 252 EVs in that stat. (Note: Does not tell you on the summary screen when you have hit the total EV cap for all stats. May need to give it an EV-reducing berry in some other stat if you cannot quite get the second sparkling stat.)

Mentions the red ^ and blue v as what your nature is doing for you. Happens to be +Special Attack and -Attack in this Iron Moth's case.

It's nature is Hardy. It says it likes to take plenty of siestas. Doesn't sound great as far as stat building : /
    Hardy nature: Just neutral. Not bad, but not great either.

"Likes to take plenty of siestas": Just an indication of what your Pokemon's highest IV is. (Hitpoints, in this case.) Unlocked a much easier way of figuring out that information with the Judge feature.

Oh, and do not be afraid to ask further questions if you do not understand something.

Thank you so much! It's nature is Hardy. It says it likes to take plenty of siestas. Doesn't sound great as far as stat building : /

I think I unlocked the judge function. Is that where the "Best, very good, decent" etc...comes from? It has not been EV trained (I honestly don't know what that means) as far as I know. I was very silly and used candies after a little. I would say like 80 of the levels came from exp candies which I realize now was silly.
    I'm kinda sad his atk and sp. atk are so close together. And both defenses seem low. But I did manage to take out the 7 star raid this weekend so maybe he's not awful.

Thanks so much for even replying. This community is really helpful.

Alright, based on what you told me, I put your values in an IV calculator and this is what I got:

IVs:
    HP: 31 (Best)
    Attack: 31 (Best)
    Defense: 25 (Pretty good)
    Special Attack: 19 (Pretty good)
    Special Defense: 11 (Decent)
    Speed: 10 (Decent)

Stats at Lv.100: 301 (16) / 231 (108) / 186 / 242 / 186 / 215
    NOTE: The numbers in the parentheses represent EVs.

Assuming I did everything right, your Charizard likely earned some EVs in HP and Attack, which can be done through battles and vitamins. However, there is no guarantee that this is the truth, considering that it's possible that your HP and Attack IVs aren't actually 31 and you could have earned more EVs than shown. EVs stand for "Effort Values," which are points that a Pokémon earns for a specific stat after a battle or after being given a certain vitamin. To test if this is correct, try giving your Charizard some Pomeg and Kelpsey berries. Pomeg berries boost friendship and drop HP EVs earned by 10 and Kelpsey berries also boost friendship, but drop Attack EVs earned by 10. If this information is correct, you should be able to make it to where HP "can't drop any lower," as the game would say, after using 2 Pomeg berries and 11 Kelpsey berries for Attack. Try using each one at a time to see if it really works. If not, then I did something wrong based on information that I don't know. As for Attack and Special Attack being so close together, that can be possible for a couple of reasons: one, your Charizard has a high Attack IV and a lower Special Attack EV, which is what the results show, and/or two, your Charizard has been EV trained in Attack, but not Special Attack. The results show this as well, but I had to plug in possible EVs for your stat line to be possible. (If so, this is actually something you don't want, as Charizard is a much better special attacker).

However, considering that you said you probably unlocked the judge function, you can check your IVs in the boxes by pressing the + button. After you do that, tell us what you see if you can.

Last edited:
    I think the stats are pretty solid but but I'm not an expert. Definitely look into bottle caps and hyper training to manually give it perfect stats~

Alright, based on what you told me, I put your values in an IV calculator and this is what I got:

IVs:
    HP: 31 (Best)
    Attack: 31 (Best)
    Defense: 25 (Pretty good)
    Special Attack: 19 (Pretty good)
    Special Defense: 11 (Decent)
    Speed: 10 (Decent)

Stats at Lv.100: 301 (16) / 231 (108) / 186 / 242 / 186 / 215
    NOTE: The numbers in the parentheses represent EVs.

Assuming I did everything right, your Charizard likely earned some EVs in HP and Attack, which can be done through battles and vitamins. However, there is no guarantee that this is the truth, considering that it's possible that your HP and Attack IVs aren't actually 31 and you could have earned more EVs than shown. EVs stand for "Effort Values," which are points that a Pokémon earns for a specific stat after a battle or after being given a certain vitamin. To test if this is correct, try giving your Charizard some Pomeg and Kelpsey berries. Pomeg berries boost friendship and drop HP EVs earned by 10 and Kelpsey berries also boost friendship, but drop Attack EVs earned by 10. If this information is correct, you should be able to make it to where HP "can't drop any lower," as the game would say, after using 2 Pomeg berries and 11 Kelpsey berries for Attack. Try using each one at a time to see if it really works. If not, then I did something wrong based on information that I don't know. As for Attack and Special Attack being so close together, that can be possible for a couple of reasons: one, your Charizard has a high Attack IV and a lower Special Attack EV, which is what the results show, and/or two, your Charizard has been EV trained in Attack, but not Special Attack. The results show this as well, but I had to plug in possible EVs for your stat line to be possible. (If so, this is actually something you don't want, as Charizard is a much better special attacker).

However, considering that you said you probably unlocked the judge function, you can check your IVs in the boxes by pressing the + button. After you do that, tell us what you see if you can.

Yup. The stats at level 100 are very close to what you thought they were. I only used him in battles when he was pretty low level so he only had stuff like scratch and what not so that's probably where the little bit of EV comes from?

I really appreciate all of this. I'll try the berries to start and go from there.

Do not fret about using Experience Candies. Speeds up the leveling process by a ton. Shoves them down Pokemons' throats all the time.

Gets a bit easier after doing it a few times. Kept the mechanics mostly consistent across generations.

Keeps IVs and EVs straight like this:
    - IVs: Inherent. Was just born stronger (or weaker).
    - EVs: Effort. Requires a Pokemon to train and put effort into improving something. Expects a Pokemon who lifts weights a lot to have high Attack. Works like that, but with punching Pokemon instead.

Nods. Generally recommends for Pokemon to focus on either Attack or Special Attack, not both. Suggests Special Attack for Charizard, as its Special Attack will be higher. So, in that case:
    • Look for the person with an Abomasnow in Montenevera. Bring a Bottle Cap or two. (Might have some already.)
    • While in Montenevera, visit Chansey Supply for mints. Probably wants Modest (+Special Attack / -Attack) or Timid (+Speed / -Attack), but pick whatever suits your fancy. Should reduce Attack, as you do not plan to use Attack.
    • Feed those EV-reducing berries to it. Stop feeding that particular berry when it says "Its base Attack can't go any lower!" (or whatever stat you do not want). Guesses 5 berries per stat at most.
    • Buy a Power Lens (plus the other Power item of your choice) at Mesagoza and give it to Charizard.
    • Head to Area Zero and beat up 25-26 Girafarigs to max out your Special Attack EVs. Do not use the autobattle feature. (Tip: Make Sandwich #80 (Ham Sandwich). Learns it from the Sandwich Shop in various towns, if you do not have it. Gives you Encounter Power: Normal Level 1. Finds Girafarig much easier that way.)

Visit your Pokemon's summary screen to check EVs. Might need to hit L to switch graphs. Looks like this:
    View attachment 105498
    Maxed out this Iron Moth's EVs in Hitpoints and Special Attack, as indicated by the light blue bit. Sparkles when you have 252 EVs in that stat. (Note: Does not tell you on the summary screen when you have hit the total EV cap for all stats. May need to give it an EV-reducing berry in some other stat if you cannot quite get the second sparkling stat.)

Mentions the red ^ and blue v as what your nature is doing for you. Happens to be +Special Attack and -Attack in this Iron Moth's case.

Hardy nature: Just neutral. Not bad, but not great either.

"Likes to take plenty of siestas": Just an indication of what your Pokemon's highest IV is. (Hitpoints, in this case.) Unlocked a much easier way of figuring out that information with the Judge feature.

Oh, and do not be afraid to ask further questions if you do not understand something.

I had no idea you could see EV's by clicking L. Thank you very much for that.

I somehow managed to hatch a second (within the same batch!) and he has 4 out of 6 perfect IV's so I'm gonna try to start over with him and see how it goes. Will raise this guy through battles primarily.

Big thank you to you and everyone else in this community!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back