• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Does pressing B while catching a Pokemon really help?

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I always press B + Down when the Pokéball closes (Or B + Up for Ultra Balls) out of habit. I read somewhere it increases the chances of a successful catch, whether it does or not is open to debate. I don't think it's been proved or disproved yet so who knows.

HiroUey

Pokemon Master of Masters!
    Years
    well, for me, it always seem to work when i press up+A right when the pokeball closes

Last edited:

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Only if you're doing a TAS run then it's used for luck manipulation. Sometimes it feels like it actually helps though.

Years
    PRESSING BUTTONS DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! It's just a rumor that is as absurd sounding as yelling into the DS mic to increase the chances of catching a Pokemon or waking up...
    But I can't help but find myself doing it out of habit, even though I know that it doesn't work. Just gives me that false sense of confidence. When it "didn't work", I just tell myself that I didn't press it at the right time. Basically, it "works" because you make yourself think that it worked. IMO, anyway.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    I doubt it actually works but from my experience pressing B actually decreases the chance of the Pokemon caught. xD

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I've always pressed Up+A out of habit (for catching and for critical hits when attacking), and though it doesn't make a bit of difference, it feels sort of 'wrong' not to press the buttons after having done so for that many years. I don't think I really even believed it in the beginning; it was more of a good luck thing for me.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I use to wait the first ball wiggles then I hold B down and I catch the pokemon. It does actually work, but just make sure its perfect timing maybe... lol xD

Gold95

Am I really...? Gold?
    Years
    I press and hold L+R+START when catching Pokemon it catches most of the time, I also press and hold A+B and I never pressed B+Up.... :-/

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I just tap a... or was it b, I can't remember it has been a while. Anyways, the more rapidly I tap the better I feel.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I don't think it does anything, but I always hold down and rapidly tap B out of habit.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    I don't think that it works, only on emerald there is one that does actually work though I can't remeber it. xD I still always tab that B button. O.O Just can't get out of that habit.

alexis515148

The shiny pokemon trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2021
    It DOES NOT WORK. PERIOD. It only seems like it works because if you belive (Yes, I know I spelt it wrong) something is real enough it will SEEM like it is, but sadly it isn't.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2012
    Yeah I doubt it works, but I still find my self doing every time, I press and hold B+Down for catching pokemon and for attacks lol. Old habits die hard I suppose.

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
    When I play Pokemon Yellow (which I am right now) I press B ANYTIME while its wiggling, which is because sometimes I forget when it first closes. If i do that then I just tap it while the ball is still wiggling. It helped me capture a Pidgeot on like, my third ball.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well, I do press any button vividly whenever anything is happening xD

I've convinced myself it does help tapping A (or be, don't remember) when attacking for making more critical hits 8)

Back