• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does the new Windows Live Messenger 'Suck'?

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I love WLM 2009. Yes, the interface is a little more rough and cluttered than the last version, but in all honesty, the new features make up for all the re-arrangement hassle. If you get mad at a program for changing the UI at all, then you should seriously examine your user skills and learn to explore and adapt more. No program will ever stay the same if you update it regularly. (and if you dont update regularly, you'll find yourself left in the dust, and you're putting your data at risk)

Admittedly, I'd love to find a hack or tweak that would get rid of the adverts. I haven't found one yet, but since the adverts are really not intrusive...I don't mind them.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Hmmm... I don't use Windows Live, but it sounds like you have updated to an earlier version than the newest update. I heard VERY similar responses from people using it about 4-5 months ago...

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
    I have it on my laptop, but not my desktop. I like the animated display pictures and the customization, but it messes up a lot for me.. freezing, the likes, you get where I'm going with this.

Years
    It is just another pointless upgrade. Like most upgrades! XD

Another annoying upgrade is skype. I really really really don't like the layout!

dolce.

divide & conquer.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2011
    I really like the new Windows Live Messenger... it feels more modern, and a lot cleaner. And it runs just fine on my computer, so.

Oh but sometimes it won't let me send hand drawn pictures, but that's kind of minor to me.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    When it comes to software design and layout, I'm strictly a minimalist. MSN's new update makes it feel more bloated than ever, compared to what I usually use (Pidgin). I didn't mind the old (pre-Vista) interface so much, but this new one makes me want to use MSN even less.

Years
    It has no webcam functionality with users who don't have WLM 2009. Ergo, yeah, it does suck, in my opinion, as the person I regularly webcam with is a Mac user. Dx
    That's a shame, they do need to fix that.

I took me a while to get used to it, but now I love it. The layout, in my option is better than the previous versions. The extra customisation with the themes is great. I understand that this was available before, with Plus!, but I find Microsoft's approach much cleaner.

I just know I'm going to cop a hiding for this, but in most cases, I love the standard Windows applications. This of course, doesn't apply to IE.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2012
    I think WLM 2008 is better than 2009, because 2008 is smarter and nicer, and you can use the a-patch better. 2009 is heavier and it has a lot of useless function.

So, WLM 2008 RULES!!!

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I have never had MSN before until I got it the other day so I can chat with my PC friends on it, but I must say it's totally out there compared to what I'm used to (Yahoo, and before that, AIM).

The biggest gripe I have is like what twocows said - it's bloated. Everything about it is unnecessarily bulky and cushioned with excessive space, especially in the main window. I wish there were more options to shrink fonts or something, and an option to get rid of the giant email icon, since I never intend to use it and it just takes up space.

Aside from that, I quite like it so far, though I haven't gotten to really try out too many of the features.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I don't really mind it, though I can't say much about it because ever since it the first "WLM" version came out, I haven't really been able to properly stay connected to the damn service, so I end up just not even using it.

Years
    It sucks complete...well, the word I want to use here wouldn't be allowed on this forum. It's like MSN just got downgraded, not upgraded. I'll be sticking with the previous, and currently best, version for now.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I don't really care. As long as I can have my regular conversations, I'm OK with it. I'm just pissed off about its size. It took quite a while to download and install, and we have bandwidth limitations in Australia :(

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    It does have one thing that annoys me. The DP n stuff are on the left, not the right on the convo D: That's annoying lol. Otherwise, meh...I use it to talk to people so idc.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    It does have one thing that annoys me. The DP n stuff are on the left, not the right on the convo D: That's annoying lol. Otherwise, meh...I use it to talk to people so idc.
    These small things bother me as well.
    Small changes like this is the reason why we cannot have good things.

Back