• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Don't you think the overdid evolution this time...?

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Aha ok now i get it. But yeah lickylicky was a bit uneeded but it is good nonetheless. Makes you wonder what they could do for pokemon like farfetched and pre evos of other pokemon. You fogrot to as of our opinions for pre-evos! I really reallt liked them btw.

KadabraK

pokeboy
    Years
    Am i the only one who acually loves probopass and tangrowth? Seriously i acually think there all god and in their own unique way. Except ryperior. Did it go 2 legs 4 legs and back to 2 legs?
    Rhyhorn is 4 legs, Rhydon 2 legs, Rhyperior 2 legs

Dark_Master

Dark/Ghost Pokemon Master
    Years
    personally i think the evolution of dusklops could have looked cooler but i still love dusknoir.

Pharue

Breeder, EV'er... and more?
    Years
    Personally, I would've preferred new pokemon instead of some of the evolutions... but I s'pose it's not that bad. Some are cool-looking too.

JessieB

Pixel Princess
    Years
    It probably didn't help matters much that they had SO MANY evolutions of previous pokemon. Most of them are hideous :/ But I think Togekiss is cute :3

rxpapi12

Metal Gear....
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2009
    I hope they don't ruin pachirisu next game if they wan it to evolve
    the cute pokemon like it such as aipom usually get ruined through evolution
    hopefully a pachrisu evolution will be pretty like Lopunny

Ryuu Akamatsu

Oh yeeeah!
    Years
    Since I'm new to D/P, I have a picture of all the Pokemon, and I'm guessing Togekiss is what comes after Magmorter? I don't like it, they went too far. It's underside looks like the laffy taffy that has the sparkle sprinkles on the top of it. And also what I see is what looks like a Porygon 2.0 I'll call it ( =P ) Porygon was square, hence why he was Porygon basically, so now he evolves into something completely opposite? =/ No thanks ^_^
    Actually, Porygon is a pun on polygons which are/were used to create 3-D video game models. This is further evidenced by the fact that it's a "Virtual" Pokemon.

I personally like the new evolutions. My favorites are Electivire and Weavile. They totally rule. XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Ambipom is awesome >:(
    Don't you think the overdid evolution this time...?

Anyway, I don't really like Togekiss. Come on, what is it supposed to be? A plane? I didn't think Eevee needed new evos, and definitely not Rhydon or Dusclops. Rhyperior is plain ugly, and seriously, a remote-controlled ghost?

I actually like Probopass, Tangrowth and Lickilicky; they have their own unique charm

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
    Aslong as they don't add more evolutions to Kanto Pokémon, then I'm fine... Wait has there already been evolutions for all Kanto Pokémon? O_o
    *epic confusion*

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    EXCUSE ME?? When I saw that you said Ambipom was unnecassary I just had to post and say how could you??? And yes the evolutions were awesome!!!!!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Yeah, especially with Ambipom (its hands and antenna bother me a lot), Probopass (unneeded and just plain weird), Magnezone (forced), and Lickylicky (forced, uninspired name; funny to laugh at 2 of 'em in Rise of Darkrai, though! :laugh:)

Only Rhyperior's tail bothers me but otherwise it's awesome-looking, just like Dusknoir and Yanmega! :D I really wish Yanmega was Bug/Dragon w/ the ability Levitate (though that would deviate from its actual origins)...that'd make so much more sense and would be an interesting type combo... :) Maybe it could be changed in Gen. 5!:nervous: You never know!

Anyway, I hope we get "natural-looking", cool evos in Gen. 5, with none of them looking forced, ugly, or unneeded.

Crap! My Magnezone's stuck like that forever!! What happened to the Pokemon with the awesome design that was Magneton??! :surprised: Well, it's not your fault you got a final evo with sucky design!! (no offense...but seriously, it'd be terrible having to go out in public like a Magnezone forever!)

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    Aslong as they don't add more evolutions to Kanto Pokémon, then I'm fine... Wait has there already been evolutions for all Kanto Pokémon? O_o
    *epic confusion*

Besides the Legendaries, Farfetch'd, Kangaskhan, Tauros, Pinser, Ditto, Aerodactyle, and Lapras have still been left untouched.
    And best be kept that way, I think.

EDIT:
    My opinions on the individual Pokemon, rather than pointless babbling analysis.
    (Plus, some have grown on me since my original reply).

Pre-Evolutions:
    Budew: Yeah, it's not that bad when your eyes adjust. It's kind of cute. :cer_smile:
    Chingling: I don't really think Chimecho needed an pre-evolution, but it works. :cer_smile:
    Bonsley: I don't really have an opinion on this Pokemon. :cer_shifty:
    Mime Jr.: I don't think it looks at all like Mr. Mime.. But it's still cute. :cer_confused:
    Happiny: I guess Chansey had to start from something smaller. It's not my favorite, though.:cer_confused:
    Munchlax: Snorlax had to have started from something smaller too.. this is sensible. :cer_smile:
    Mantyke: Is absolutely ADORIBLE! :cer_love:

Evolutions:
    Roserade: Much improved from Roselea. Beautiful. I very much like. :cer_nod:
    Ambipom: Scares me. :cer_frown:
    Mismagius: I approve. Kind of creepy.. but it's a ghost Pokemon, so it should be. :cer_smile:
    Honchkrow: I think Murkrow was just fine being left alone. :cer_no:
    Weavile: Pretty much absolute awesomeness. :cer_love:
    Magnezone: It's appearance doesn't please me. But Magnemite and Magnetone were never that great looking either. :cer_sneeze:
    Lickilicky: Honestly.. I'm offended by this Pokemon. Don't ask how.. I just am. :cer_blankstare:
    Rhyperior: I wish it resembled Rhydon a little better.. but it's alright. :cer_confused:
    Tangrowth: What on earth were they even thinking!? :cer_eek:
    Electivire: Love. :cer_love:
    Magmortar: I won't complain about it, but I liked Magmar just the way it was. :cer_confused:
    Togekiss: They've officially robbed Togepi and Togetic of their.. Toge-ness. Togekiss looks completely pointless. :cer_no:
    Yanmega: Looks a bit scary at first, but once the eyes ajdust, it's pretty cool. :cer_smile:
    Leafeon: I've been waiting for a grass-type Eevee evolution. :cer_love:
    Glaceon: Not as much love as Leafeon, but still, it's an Eevee evolution.. and it's still love. :cer_love:
    Gliscor: Is very scary, but it's still pretty cool looking at the same time. :cer_tongue:
    Mamoswine: Doesn't really look like it would evolve from Piloswine.. it looks like something completely different. :cer_confused:
    Porygon-Z: It's like a sweet, glitched out version of Porygon2. I like it. :cer_nod:
    Gallade: I think it would make more sense if all the male Ralts turned into Gallade, while all the females evolve into Gardevoir. But I like Gallade.. he's pretty cool. :cer_nod:
    Probopass: Nosepass was already a "no".. Probopass made it worse. :cer_no:
    Dusknoir: I'm not a big fan of this evolutionary line, but it's much more improved over Dusclops. :cer_shifty:
    Frosslass: Again.. I wasn't a fan of Snorunt of Glalie.. and I'm not much more fond of Frosslass.. I think it looks a bit creepy.. :cer_shifty:

Last edited:

Ashen

※ あなたを…
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2009
    Well, didn't Tajiri create over 1000 Pokémon or something for the series? Or was that just some random rumour I heard?

As for the evolutions, I'm really only put off by Lickilicky, and that's mainly because of the name. Magnezone does look a little silly, but at least it got somewhat of a Speed boost from the evolution. But all the rest I'm cool with. Yes, even Togekiss. If they're doing it just to flesh out the Pokédex, I'm fine with that: just gives me more game for my 40 dollars.

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the pre-evolutions they added to DPP: Happiny and Munchlax (there might be one more; it's extremely late so my brain isn't exactly functioning at 100% capacity). And, again, personally I'm fine with them.

b7astoise

GrinchGod
    Years
    pokemon are pokemon and they evolve so i cant really say anything except YES TO ELECTIVIRE lol and people have favorite pokemon ( old and new) and might want to see an evolution so its win win lmao

Neslug

Overgrown Slug
    Years
    Crap! My Magnezone's stuck like that forever!! What happened to the Pokemon with the awesome design that was Magneton??!
    No, just no. Magneton is just three Magnemites combined, just like Dugtrio is three Diglett. How's that for an awesome design? Thankfully, they stopped with the lame combination evolutions back then.

While some of the new evolutions might be pretty weird looking, at least they're not uninspired like some of the old ones.

That said, I think most of the evolutions were a welcome addition. Magneton was the only one of the Pokémon that got evolutions that I actually saw people use. Tangela, Aipom, Yanma, Gligar and Nosepass were made usable, the rest just got better.

Let us hope they give Dunsparce an evolution in the next generation. That little bugger deserves more attention.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    IMHO, Tangrowth, Lickilicky, and Ambipom are rather fugly. The rest are okay looking, but Electivire and Dusknoir are probably the only two I'd consider using in an actual party.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Ah the pre-evos. I actually love em all(even budew). Anyway someone here mentioned that how the hell do new pokemon to pokemon discovered way before be possible? Well in game timeline kanto is only 2-3 years before dpp. The technology and method of evolutions for all 29 pre-evos and evos was just found out so it makes sense at the most. Anyway i really do hope pokemon that where left all alone with one pokemon evo lines are given evos-pre-evos. I want every single pokemon to have a pre-evo and evo. Why? Makes it more realistic. Like baby-teen-adult.

ManaphyLv100

Legendary Ranger
    Years
    Gallade, Dusknoir, and the Eeveelutions are cool-looking, Weavile is great because of its battling prowess, but the others... I think Nintendo was smoking the same stuff they were when they decided to hate Sneasel and ruin the stats he needed. I mean, Froslass looks NOTHING like Snorunt or Glalie, Probopass has a weird moustache, and Yanmega... I don't like Yanmega; Yanma was cool enough, thanks.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2008
    Tangela's evolution looks like a half-arsed design job to me... It needs to be redesigned, and badly :P

Magmortar's awesome! He has huge flame firing cannons on the ends of his arms... like a Mega Man boss :cool:

Last edited:
    Back