• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Dragon Ascent: A Dragon Lover's Club

Pick the newest dragon club mascot!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
Years
  • *Dialga Iron Tail* 🔩🔩🔩🐒🐒🐒

*Dragalge and Naganadel Sludge Wave* ☣☣☣🌊🌊🌊

Didn't see that coming did you?

Not only do we resist you, but WE have the advantage...

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hello my scaled friends!

Who is excited for Isle of Armor?

Isle of Armor is just around the corner, and there we will get at least one new dragon pokemon Regidrago. I'm really curious about it's signature ability dragon maw. It sounds intriguing.

Will you be reuniting with any old dragon friends? I'm still sad that Dragonite has yet to be seen in Galar, but there is still much to look forward to, Kingdra, Garchomp, Altaria, Dragalge, all the legendary Dragons.

Which dragon pokemon are you most looking forward to the return of, and which dragon not revealed in the dlc do you most miss?

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • It's practically a guarantee Dragonite and company will be there because "Kanto Number 1 AWH YEAH!" , and I'm not entirely even sure what the DLC/Upgrade, certain pokemon not being previously available returning...and I'm still not sure I believe that certain pokemon "just won't be available" , one way or another. At this point we just need Dragonite and Salamence.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    *Dialga Iron Tail* 🔩🔩🔩🐒🐒🐒

*Dragalge and Naganadel Sludge Wave* ☣☣☣🌊🌊🌊

Didn't see that coming did you?

Not only do we resist you, but WE have the advantage...

Haha, well played and fair enough! This time my plan is foiled but just wait till I make another daring return with Mawile! ψ(`∇´)ψ

I really, really have my heart set on the Dratini line, Skrelp line, and Horsea line being introduced in Isle of Armor! It would make perfect sense; an island, surrounded by water, with all of those Dragons being associated with the ocean? I can't gauge the likelihood but I feel like it's not unreasonable to assume.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • [Haha, well played and fair enough! This time my plan is foiled but just wait till I make another daring return with Mawile! ψ(`∇´)ψ

I really, really have my heart set on the Dratini line, Skrelp line, and Horsea line being introduced in Isle of Armor! It would make perfect sense; an island, surrounded by water, with all of those Dragons being associated with the ocean? I can't gauge the likelihood but I feel like it's not unreasonable to assume./QUOTE]

Nope! That won't work either! We have Charizard X for that! Reshiram, Garchomp, and Flygon! Not to mention if you're not Mega Evolving don't even try it! 🧨

Horsea and company and Skrelp and Dragalge are definitely confirmed though, the only ones I haven't seen are Bagon and Dratini and the evolutions. Pretty sure all fossils are there also.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • tfw got distracted by fairies and didn't see the isle of armor post.
    Anyways, I'm a bit excited for Isle of Armor but I have also been playing Digimon Cyber Sleuth so I'm not sure if I'll play it right away (fwiw, I've been adding some dragon Digimon to my squad). I'm still hoping for Naganadel but I am happy Dragalge, Kingdra, and Garchomp will be returning.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Fear not...your King's giant army will keep those pests away....

BUT YEAH, I really feel like UB are a big yes, since they were made to be such a huge big deal, and a friend told me Beast Balls are obtainable naturally anyways.

Naganadel is the brother Dragalge severely needed, just sucks neither of them are overly well rounded, but they are like polar opposites exactly almost.

Dragalge- Not a lot of speed at all but very defensive and Bulk. Good Special attack but not much else.

Naganadel- VERY FAST on the other hand, one of the fastest, if not THE fastest alone, capable of outspeeding Latios and Latias, but not much else going at all that's too high besides Special Attack. No heavy defense whatsoever.

Both lines would have benefitted massively by being another 3 stage Dragon Line from the stat increases.

faf

Years
  • Who needs Defense when you can be at +2 and KO a Pokémon to gain a speed boost and destroy an entire team?

:]

Although losing Hidden Power is going to suck for Naganadel, Heatran coming back means it can wall it if it's running NP/Draco Meteor/Sludge Wave/Fire Blast.

Dragalge will be fun though, probably not OU material but Adaptability + Specs can melt teams in lower tiers.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Yeah the biggest part of Naganadel is no doubt Beast Boost, raising speed each time you drop someone lol...very good coverages too with Dark Pulse and he's pretty much always swinging first so unless you're just a tank he's hard to stop.

Dragalge is always fun for being the ultimate Fairy crusher.

faf

Years
  • I'm pretty sure Draco Meteor hits Psychic-types much harder than Dark Pulse would and stuff like Aegislash gets roasted by Fire Blast so I see no reason to run Dark Pulse.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure Draco Meteor hits Psychic-types much harder than Dark Pulse would and stuff like Aegislash gets roasted by Fire Blast so I see no reason to run Dark Pulse.

True, but Draco Meteor lowers special when he's almost all special...I mean if you're into competitive that's probably obviously the better choice, but I'm never really much into it honestly. U-Turn would be great for something like Naganadel though....

Mine definitely has either Flamethrower or Fire Blast, not sure which but I sometimes stay from the less accurate moves lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Since the Dratini and Treecko line have been datamined for Crown Tundra all is right with the world again.

I have most of what I want now, Absol, Sceptile, Nidoqueen, Suicuine, Alakazam, Starmie, Kingdra, the Lati twins, Metagross, Garchomp, Cresselia, Skarmory, Zorua, Dragalge and Volcarona were all favorites of mine that were missing, but pretty much all have been confirmed as returning I think. My sticking point was Dragonite though, no sale without him.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Yeah, that's a good looking list of *possibilities *, which I say because I'm trusting NO rumors from here on out, since there was all this hype of what was going to be/could be Isle Of Armor, then literally got exactly what GF said, and nothing else, and some more new Kanto Forms.

Dratini, Bagon, Treecko, Tyrunt, only thing really missing is Mareep. There's the idea going around that a very large number of the Crown Tundra stuff can Mega, which would show why ONLY Gen 3 starters are here, and 95 percent of Megas ARE included in that list as well.

Who knows though, like I said, trusting nothing until shown truth, great selection though, even though its, Kanto, Legendaries, Kanto, Legendaries, Fossils, Kanto, Legendaries, Fossils, Kanto, Gen 3 Starters and some classic favorites that can Mega. Definitely don't trust GF either so we'll see.

Years
  • The month of June comes to an end, and the reign of Charizard is complete. It's time to pass the torch to new Pokemon for Dragon of the Month. I almost didn't make it today, but these are dragons that I really wanted to celebrate, they are some of my favorites, so I made sure that I didn't miss their special day.

If you read your horoscope you'll know that the month of June means the sun is in Gemini, the twins, a constellation that is named after the brothers Castor and Pollux from Greek mythology. I think this is a perfect time to welcome the Eon Twins to the Hall of Memorial here at Dragon Ascent.

Dragon Ascent: A Dragon Lover's Club

Come share your thoughts on the dragon brother and sister Latias and Latios! This month's spotlight dragon. I personally love them!

Before gen 3 dragons were so elusive that we would get one dragon for each region, starting with the Dragonite evolutionary line for Kanto, and Kingdra in Johto for GSC, both of which I like. However, Hoenn in Ruby and Sapphire went all out and gave us a whole feast of dragons, which is one of the many reasons why I like this region so much, there are also these cool soaring creatures to choose from, there's Altaria, Flygon, Salamence, Rayquaza and of course Lati twins.

Latios and Latias are both excellent pokemon. They have immediately appealing designs with expressive faces, especially Latias' big innocent hazel eyes.

Their conception is also very interesting and creative as a pair of empath twins that are telepathic and can shapeshift and become invisible, one always female the other always male.

Their typing of dragon/psychic is equally unique. It's the only base form pokemon with this dual typing. While it has its share of weaknesses, it has a lot of resistances too. I think it's an especially strong typing offensively on Latios, because you can hit 9 pokemon out of 10 for neutral or super-effective damage with just your stabs, and like most dragon mons they have no shortage of coverage moves to take care of the rest, and with the right set they can deal with any matchup with all these hard-hitting moves, earthquake, thunderbolts, grass knots you name it.

They also have a useful ability levitate that protects them against earthquake, one of the most powerful moves in the game and stops a lot of entry hazards from hurting them like toxic spikes.

Both Latias and Latios have their own signature move. For Latios it's luster purge, a 70 base power stab with a 50 percent chance to drop their foe's special defense, breaking them for the kill from this devastating sweeper. Latias has Mist ball, a 70 base power stab that does the reverse, dropping your enemy's special attack, making an already bulky pokemon even harder to take down.

They are super fast pokemon with all sorts of good utility moves. I mean these guys are really versatile. They can heal, boost their stats with calm mind, defog, pass wishes, set up screens, can paralzye you.

It doesn't end there, they get a trademark held item soul dew that doubles their special attack/defense.

They both have the same base very high 600 stats, but the distribution is flipped around, with Latias being a great defensive pokemon, and her brother Latios being made for all out attacking. I have used both, they are both fantastic, and even their weakest solid enough that a Latias can still have an offense presence, and Latios can still potentially defend.

With the advent of mega evolution they became even more extraordinary with another 100 base points to spread around. Mega Latios can be an especially good mixed attacker with that 130 physical attack and 160 special attack.

I just wish they distinguished them visually in their mega forms a little better like they do in their base form. They pretty much get the same color scheme.

Which one do you prefer, Latias or Latios?

I really like both. I have conquered the Battle maison and Battle frontier with Latias as well as Latios, it just really depends on what you need on the team. They are both great pokemon.

If I have to pick though, it's Latios. It more frequently tends to be the version exclusive available in the game I get, so I am a little more accustomed to using it, and really got attached to it in Omega Ruby after soaring on him. I like it's more sedate color scheme best too with the light teal blue, since the twins are associated with the sea I think the male one's color evokes that best. Latios also has endeared itself to me because of it's brave actions in the pokemon 5th movie.

Latios and Latias have made some important apoearances in the television series and movies. Ash notably faced Tobias's Latios in a Titanic duel with Pikachu for the final battle of the Lily of the Valley Conference.

Latias and Latios also came to Ash's rescue in the movie Hoopa Clash of the Ages.

However, their most significant role is undoubtedly in the film pokemon Heroes as part of a mystical family of protectors for the city of Altamore.

Dragon Ascent: A Dragon Lover's Club Have you ever seen Pokemon 5: Heroes, and what did you think of it if you did?

I have seen it, and I like it, but it's really sad, still a good movie, but it gets harder to watch as it climaxes.

I really liked the look of Altamore as this ancient city built on the water, much like Venice, and the back story of the first Latios that came to the city and became it's protector, their father, gave additional texture to the world.

I thought Bianca, the pretty painter who accompanies Latias was a nicely-designed character as well.

I always enjoy the beginning of the movie most. It has a nice opening animation sequence in the prologue, and the water races are a lot of fun. This is notably also Misty's last movie appearance.

What I liked most is that Latias and Latios very distinct personalities and a lot emotion is conveyed through the animation with Latias being very sweet and playful, and Latios being more protective and serious, but still really loving.

If you played Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald you probably remember that Latios and Latias were roaming legendaries, much like Suicuine, Entei and Raikou were in Gold and Silver.

Did you ever catch Latios or Latias in a roaming encounter?

Indeed, I stumbled upon Latios in Emerald completing randomly while I was surfing near I think Pacifidlog Town. I was just trying to do some ev training on the tentacool, when the shadow of a pokemon that looked really different than anything else I had seen in the area appeared where there should have been just run of the mill water pokemon. My brain then put together what was happening as Latios came into full view.

I knew what this pokemon was, and that it could run away. I also had nothing that could put this guy to sleep or trap it, so I hurled my master ball without even asking questions, and welcomed Latios to my team. If there was ever a time to use a master ball, then it was then. I might not have ever see this enchanting creature gain so I wasn't taking any risks.

The role of Latias and Latios increased in the remakes of the Hoenn games, pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Did you ever play these games, and what did you think of their earlier availability, incorporation into the main story?

I think it was honestly a little op to have legendary Pokemon after like the 3rd gym, and you don't even have to battle them to obtain these pokemon, they're just gifts. I think they probably should have been introduced just a little later so that we have worked harder and come farther to earn being rewarded with something so rare and special, but I do ultimately like the idea of you obtainimg them before the post game plot-wise. It's neat detail that you have to defend them, and they are there to help you on your quest to protect the region of Hoenn from the ensuing disaster, that is more dramatic and seems in keeping with who they are because they are psychic-- they should have some sense of the changes happening in the world around them.

Though I have some questions about the placement of where we meet these pokemon in the story, all in all I think still Oras went in the right direction to make these pokemon more active in the game. Their plotline also really helps further the development of another character Steven Stone, one of the best characters of the series, and some of the most iconic parts of Oras are riding on Latias/Latios with Steven Stone, and getting the eon flute to use the soaring mechanic.

It's not for no reason that Omega Ruby is my favorite game.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It would've been nice if they made their megas more distinct from each other yeah. Not sure why they made them look so similar.

I do remember seeing their movie, and I think it was even in the movie theater too.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Definitely two of my favorites. I always make sure to use them both at the same time in the same party because they're so useful and versatile, plus it feels like the right decision. I actually loved they're availability at earlier levels in ORAS, because it means you get more fair usage out of them.

As I've spoke of my fantastic time in UM, I actually moved Latios from OR, and was able to GTS Latias, then have both around the same levels in UM at one point which was very useful.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Add shiny Druddigon to the list! I've had someone contact me about offering one of those strange lv 10 Shiny Dragonair from GSC too...after thinking of it I'll do it.

Strange, but very rare and unique deal I'd not otherwise have access to. I read a remark from someone when looking into the whole thing...that IS a very long time to have a Dragonair, but also could be cooler to have one amongst the group at those lower levels, and overall I think it could be fun.

Sam knows this, but I've been just slowly casually building up for a possible future next game /new run. This time:

EVERY Dragon or Pokemon that evolves into a Dragon. Except they're all shiny this time.

So far-I have, Dratini, Druddigon, Goomy, Gible, Bagon, and Noibat. Treecko is one I'm really looking for, and got a possible line on that...

They'll either be for US one day, or if I ever get SWSHD.

Years
  • Hi Dragon Tamers. While the Fairy Club is discussing pokemon to include in The Clubhouse banner, I'm going to be plotting on behalf of the dragons in this den. We must not be overshadowed by all those sparkles and light, no sir! We are a magnificent race of our own.

I think I'll take a photo of some of my Dragon memorabilia, like my N nendoroid with his Reshiram. I might also draw a Dratini. That doesn't seem like too difficult of a Pokemon for a beginner to sketch. If anyone else gets the spirit of the dragon feel free to discuss your ideas here.

Fairy and I have found some nice contributions to the banners in our inbox, but nothing from Dragon Ascent yet. *Excitedly rolls up sleeves* I'll change that.

Back