• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Drugs

Outlier

I was going to put this in the debates section but I don't really wanna discuss prohibition. Although feel free to if you really want.

I wanna hear about your experiences with recreational drugs and or experiences with medicinal drugs that perhaps effected you in ways you weren't expecting it to. Were you able to enjoy whatever drugs you were on without negative side effects, did you ever become addicted to anything and if so what substances were they?

Has anyone here ever fought addiction? Relapsed ect?

I'm not looking to glorify or condemn drug use I just really feel like talking about drugs for some reason lol.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Not even once

IMO inhibiting your faculties intentionally in any way is stupid; we say/do enough stupid things consciously, anyway. Same reason I will never touch alcohol. This is aside from any negative health effects the drugs in question may have, which to me offsets any sort of potential benefit anyway.

Also life is enjoyable enough to me that I don't feel the need to temporarily enhance or escape from my experience. So yeah, pretty much not a fan.

Years
    I love the psychedelics. I mean, drugs like magic mushrooms, DMT, and LSD. They helped me develop a strong sense of empathy for both myself and others, raised my self-esteem, and were a handy cure for the depressive component of my bipolar disorder. They're among the most nontoxic and nonaddictive of all drugs and have a terrific therapeutic index. Currently under investigation for helping end of life anxiety in populations with terminal illness. Clinical trials are promising and are showing positive results. I don't trip much anymore, but I look back fondly on the times when I was doing it every weekend. I learned a lot from psychs.

Marijuana helps even out my mood swings (associated with dat bipolar disorder.) It also helps me get to sleep at a reasonable time. I'm very open about my marijuana usage with my doctors, and they, for the most part, encourage using it to help manage my bipolar disorder. When I'm having problems with mania or depression, smoking brings me to a more normal state of mind and calms me down.

I used to have a problem with alcohol, so now I don't drink anymore. Alcohol really was not for me. It exacerbated depressive cycles, I almost commit suicide while under the influence a couple of times, I was sexually assaulted while drunk, and I did so many embarrassing and destructive things while drinking. Some people can handle alcohol, I cannot.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've only smoked weed, and that's about as far as I think I'm going to go. Though I don't really consider it a drug like others do. It's on the same line as alcohol and tobacco for me. I enjoyed every experience I've had with it, and the experiences I've had have been pretty different each time. Granted I've only smoked it four or five times. I've smoked enough to think "I need a blunt." when things are getting too stressful for me, though, which I think says a lot.

I'm one of those people who will smoke if offered, but won't go out of their way to find weed or buy it. If I'm with a friend and they want to smoke and have some and don't mind sharing, then I'll share with them.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
    Given my family history, I never will. I just don't get what's so fun about losing control over your own body. xD I can understand if it helps with a medical problem. But I do not, and never will, support the drinking of alcohol. It is the worst drug out there. So many people die each year because of it. It disgusts me. And it doesn't even taste good. Why would I want to drink something like that? Far better things to do in life than to drink nasty stuff. xD

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    Given my family history, I never will. I just don't get what's so fun about losing control over your own body. xD I can understand if it helps with a medical problem. But I do not, and never will, support the drinking of alcohol. It is the worst drug out there. So many people die each year because of it. It disgusts me. And it doesn't even taste good. Why would I want to drink something like that? Far better things to do in life than to drink nasty stuff. xD

Agreed 100%. I've seen people pee/puke all over themselves, babble incoherently, and fall all over the place trying to walk, covered in their own filth. That's pretty much the description of a baby, you know.

But somehow it's so totally cool getting "smashed" with the bros!! Aiming to get drunk sounds absolutely stupid to me but apparently it is a completely normal practise and you're considered socially uptight for actually wanting to have full control of your mind and body.

Last edited:

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
    Agreed 100%. I've seen people pee/puke all over themselves, babble incoherently, and fall all over the place trying to walk, covered in their own filth. That's pretty much the description of a baby, you know.

But somehow it's so totally cool getting "smashed" with the bros!! Aiming to get drunk sounds absolutely stupid to me but apparently it is a completely normal practise and you're considered socially uptight for actually wanting to have full control of your mind and body.

I live in a city that's huge on partying. It gets so insane here that on Halloween they had t bring the swat team here. So many people were getting arrested for being intoxicated on the streets. And if it wasn't that, people were passed out on the sidewalk from drinking. How is drinking fun? I really don't get it. xD So many bad things happen.

Faye Rose~

Resilient
    Years

But somehow it's so totally cool getting "smashed" with the bros!! Aiming to get drunk sounds absolutely stupid to me but apparently it is a completely normal practice and you're considered socially uptight for actually wanting to have full control of your mind and body.

This is one of the most intelligent, level headed things I have ever read in my life.

I applaud you, sir.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    I've smoked weed when I was in high school. But I gave it up.
    I'm addicted to tobacco though.

Being drunk, high or buzzed is the 3 best feelings in the world. You have to try it to understand. Which is probably why you shouldn't try it.

Years
    I've made a lifetime commitment never to drink, smoke or do drugs. This also includes medicinal drugs and coffee. I'm against the use of anything that can harm my mind and body.

Last edited:

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I am addicted to Caffeine (sarcasm I just drink coffe alot) and I only take medicine when I need to which is rarely. I don't like medicine because it tastes like Dr. Pepper and I don't want medicine to ruin my favorite drink for me. I am not against drugs because we need some drugs for pain killers and other medicinal reasons.

Outlier

I love the psychedelics. I mean, drugs like magic mushrooms, DMT, and LSD. They helped me develop a strong sense of empathy for both myself and others, raised my self-esteem, and were a handy cure for the depressive component of my bipolar disorder. They're among the most nontoxic and nonaddictive of all drugs and have a terrific therapeutic index. Currently under investigation for helping end of life anxiety in populations with terminal illness. Clinical trials are promising and are showing positive results. I don't trip much anymore, but I look back fondly on the times when I was doing it every weekend. I learned a lot from psychs.

Marijuana helps even out my mood swings (associated with dat bipolar disorder.) It also helps me get to sleep at a reasonable time. I'm very open about my marijuana usage with my doctors, and they, for the most part, encourage using it to help manage my bipolar disorder. When I'm having problems with mania or depression, smoking brings me to a more normal state of mind and calms me down.

I used to have a problem with alcohol, so now I don't drink anymore. Alcohol really was not for me. It exacerbated depressive cycles, I almost commit suicide while under the influence a couple of times, I was sexually assaulted while drunk, and I did so many embarrassing and destructive things while drinking. Some people can handle alcohol, I cannot.

I've always wanted to try DMT. When I used to listen to the Joe Rogan podcast he made it sound like one of the most enlightening experiences a human could have. I wish that I would have tried more psychedelics in general actually. Mushrooms in particular.

I agree 100% about marijuana. I don't have bipolar disorder (despite the Two-Face avatar lol) but it definitely helps me with a lot of my anxiety issues, and the side effects are very minimal compare to what a lot of people would have you believe.

Yeah not everyone can handle their liquor sadly. I'm sorry to hear about the bad experiences you've had while under the influence. Especially the part about getting assaulted that's messed up.

In my opinion recreation drug use isn't stupid as long as you're fully aware of what you're putting into your body and aren't doing something while under the influence where you could hurt or kill someone like driving or operating heavy machinery. Stuff like that.

Some people think the trade off of being high is worth whatever side effects that come with taking the drug be it short term or long term. And that's each individual's prerogative. I do feel bad for those who feel they need to take drugs in order to function or be happy. But there are a lot of people out there who use drugs and don't become addicted at all.

Weed for example enhances a lot of experiences and there are next to no negative side effects for most people. I often feel very loving when I'm under the influence and the only negative side effects I've had with weed is saying some dopey things here and there, but even then I'm usually making someone laugh. But different substances effect everyone differently. I'm not going to make a sweeping generalization that everyone should try weed or any other drug because you're not always going to have positive trips or reactions to certain drugs depending on who you are.

I've made a lifetime commitment never to drink, smoke or do drugs. This also includes medicinal drugs and coffee. I'm against the use of anything that can harm my mind and body.

Okay this is where you straightedge people completely lose me. How far are you willing to take this? Would you refuse anesthetics heading into a surgery? Or not take medication that could prevent a heart condition you have from killing you? Again these are hypothetical scenarios but take that into consideration before making claims that you'd never take medicinal drugs, even if you needed them to survive.

You're acting like everyone who drinks is automatically going to get ****faced after their first sip and lose control of their bodily functions lol. You can drink in moderation you know, you can over indulge in pretty much anything. Food, coffee, soft drinks.

I know often the aim of drinking IS to get completely ****faced, especially with younger people. But that's not the case for everyone, for every single time they drink. You made another generalization just like the people who dismiss you as some uptight prude for not drinking.

Last edited:
    Years
    Okay this is where you straightedge people completely lose me. How far are you willing to take this? Would you refuse anesthetics heading into a surgery? Or not take medication that could prevent a heart condition you have from killing you? Again these are hypothetical scenarios but take that into consideration before making claims that you'd never take medicinal drugs, even if you needed them to survive.

Let me put it this way then. Being straight edge is all about taking care of yourself with minimal use of medicinal drugs. If I were to refuse them in those two scenarios, I would die. I'd call that stupid, not straight edge. Haha

If I'm having a headache, fever or common cold, I avoid medicine because they can be cured naturally by drinking plenty of water and taking rest. It'll just take a little longer to get better, that's all.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    I will never smoke or do drugs as it is against my values and what I've been taught, but I'm alright with alcohol as long as it isn't consumed excessively. I do drink, but only on special occasions such as weddings, dinners, etc., and then again only very sparingly; never enough to get drunk. In fact, I've never gotten drunk in my life and will never consciously go to that extreme. I have enough self control and common sense for that. As for medicinal drugs, I personally do not prefer to take them unless my health really depended on them to the point that if I do not take them, I would never recover/I would die.

Back