• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS Lite, or core PSP?

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2007
    I'm sure this has been brought up several times, but I've come to a rather large wall that continues to block my path: Should I purchase a DS Lite, or a Sony PSP?

Evidently, the Pokémon games aren't my first concern when it pertains to choices. I mainly want games that are going to be interesting, and have plot-depth.

So, if anyone can aid me with input on which is the better of the two, feel free to speak up. Thanks.

Legacy

The Living Legend
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2009
    DS Lite. It's actually a gaming console. I have them both and I hate the PSP so much that I haven't played it in over a year. I think it's a terrible machine.

And sales figures don't lie. DS >>> PSP

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2007
    -OMG NEVER BUY THE PSP. i had one for about two years and i was super excited when it came out i was sure it would be ten billion time better than the DS. BUT I WAS WRONG. yeah sure the multi media thing is cool and the -web browser is really cool(but ds comes out with that next month).
    -the music is unpractical who wants to listen to a thing the size of the PSONE remake so thats not really good just but an ipod(they have more memory than the psp memory sticks anyway,which in America only have 32mg{which doesnt even fit one album on it of music} theres 1gb, 2gb, and 4gb{which is as much as the ds lite price wise}and 8gb in Japan.) so those are spendy.
    -the movie thing is cool(not really) who wants to watch a video on a 4inch screen which the movie cost the same as a regular dvd(just buy a portable dvd player with a 10 in screen much better!) you could download movies of the internet and but on memory stick(which again you have to buy a big enough one {man sony really is raking in the big bucks with this ripoff}) but who wants to pay for those and if you download them from like bearshare or limewire or do torrents for free they have horrible resolution.
    -there are no good games oh wait there are only four good ones sorry my mistake (they are metal gear portable ops, ratchet and clank size matters, the gta games, and untold legends the warriors code and i am telling you those are the only good ones they're maybe some semi-mediocre ones that are not worth the money {oh yeah psp games cost the same as PS2 games 49.99, 39.99, and 29.99 for the really bad third person games})SO DONT BUY A PSP. DONT DO IT YOU WILL REGRET IT

-REASONS TO BUY A DS
    - really good cheap games (the most they are priced at is $39.99)
    -backwards compatibility with the GBA (this may or maynot be good)
    -amazing possibility's, think if they are making mem. sticks with 8gb of memory on it and the ds game card is essentially a mem. stick they could have 8gb games so that means like 100hrs of game play(so think of legend of zelda twilight princess with only slightly worse graphics it would be amazing!!), better sound, slightly better graphics( the ARM 7 and 9 processors can only handle so much so slightly better graphics and shading), and better and longer CGI Cut scenes.
    we should see at least a 2gb game card coming out really soon cause the best they have now is 1gb game cards and those have been out for a while so IDK THEY MIGHT BE MAKING GAMES ON 2GB MEMSTICKS RIGHT NOW!!!.
    -CHEAP PRICE
    SO DONT BUY THE PSP (WHY DO YOU THINK THEY DROPPED THE PRICE TO 169.99 BECAUSE IT WASNT SELLING{CAUSE IT SUCKS!!!})
    BUY A DS YOU WILL BE HAPPIER IN THE LONG RUN TRUST ME I KNOW I AM.
    hope this helped

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I have both a PSP and DS Lite. My PSP is now gathering dust somewere. I forget were it is now. The DS has lots of games that are better than it. So what if PSP has a full media system. It isn't all that anyway. The story lines in the games are alot better. Sonic Rush and New Mario are the best games i have ever played on a handheld console. Other than pokemon Ruby.
    In General the DS has alot of good games out now and is still getting them coming throught PSP games are just remakes of PS2 games.
    Get a DS not a PSP.

Years
  • I've owned both a PSP and a DS lite, and I'd definitely recommend the DS. The PSP does have much better graphics, but in my opinion it was difficult to hold and cramped my hands after awhile. That being said, there are some advantages of the PSP. RPGs are a big one, as they don't require that great of control, and the graphics really do improve the experience. First person shooters, oddly enough, also seem to be better on the PSP (probably because DS only has metriod prime hunters, which isn't really that much of a 'classic' FPS anyway).

Other than a few standout games however, the PSP is very difficult for a handheld. With the DS, you can close it any time, no matter where you are in a game, and it will automatically sleep at that point (effectively pausing your game until you're ready to play again). This makes it great for playing for five minutes while waiting for the bus, or other times when handhelds really shine. The PSP however, takes some time to sleep when you're done playing.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a jack of all trades machine (and you don't already own an mp3 player), the PSP can be rigged to play some great emulator games, and if you have the money you can buy a very large memory card, to load all the emulated games you want. You can play a few mp3s from it, but in my opinion a normal mp3 player is better. And finally, the movies look great on a PSP. But personally, I would rather watch them on a computer or TV.

So remember, if you just want games, DS is the way to go, if you want something that can do everything pretty well (not exceptionally, but just pretty well), you'd be happy with a PSP.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2007
    hey dont buy a psp cause they have emulators cause that can potentially destroy your hardware and then you would be out a psp..
    look this is what you do if you want a little of everything.
    -buy a ds (its cheap and has really good games)
    -then buy a multi media device like an ipod or zune then your set for life okay
    JUST DONT BUY A PSP YOU WILL BE WASTING YOUR MONEY
    they have no good games DONT DO IT. REPEAT. DONT DO IT.

Years
  • Even though the PSP has homebrew, so does the DS.

I highly recommend the DS over the PSP. I, like many others here, have both. PSP games just aren't that good, or they are just ports. Besides the DS and its games being less expensive, there are many more people to play online with, if that's your thing. There is also a wider variety of games out there, and plenty of different control styles.

So, just avoid a hassle of finding good games, and get a DS.
    I also recommend disregarding fanboy posts, such as "PSP has homebrew" and "I like DS." They are provdiding you no information.

Soujiro

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2007
    All depends on what you're into. DS is pretty much a kiddie system (like every nintendo system except for maybe gamecube. That one actually had some cool Mature games. PSP has more mature action games and stuff.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Soujiro, it was incredibly difficult for Nintendo to shake the GCN's "kiddie" image. I think you have it backwards. Nintendo increased the whole cutesy thing in their franchises during the GCN era.

Soujiro

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2007
    I dont think housing a bunch of mature games count as being cutesy. And having the mature games be big hits rises the mature Nintendo level.

This is horrible...This whole post goes against my first post XD

Years
  • A DS or PSP? I got both systems.

The DS is the more superior of the handhelds and having a ton of good games with it, plus the dual screens with the touch feature is a major selling point. I still can't believe how small the DS games are. I did have a problem trying to find one when I tried to get mine.

The PSP can do everything except hack into computer systems. I use my PSP all the time to listen to music, look at photos, play its games and I'm still trying to learn how to go online with it. The game selection for the PSP is weak at best, plus your hands ache a bit after long sessions of playing. However, this is Sony's first real foray into the handheld war, so the system will be a bit iffy at first.

Overall, get a DS. I'm saying this because the DS can't play music like the PSP.

Years
  • Get a ds and a flashcart for homebrew and music you still spend less than you would for a psp. DS closes the screen won't scratch in your pocket.

the DS is not for "kiddies" have you acctually played Castlevania, Resident Evil or Metroid?
    Don't try and tell me that the psp is for older people. Loco Roco? WTF!

Also the DS has been remade compleytely, but the psp just changed colour. what do you think this means sony thinks about their product?

DS pwns PSP

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • The PSP has a lot of features to play movies, music, etc. But if you want that, buy an iPod or something like that.

On the other hand,the DS is really a gaming console. With two screens, touch screen, microphone (kinda strange but useful) it is really focused in how the games are played and offers thousands of new ways to play. That's what I find impressive.

Years
  • I dont think housing a bunch of mature games count as being cutesy. And having the mature games be big hits rises the mature Nintendo level.

This is horrible...This whole post goes against my first post XD

Chibi Robo.

you can't say thats mature.

I really should get a DS lite cause I need more battery life, but I don't wanna spend money on something I've basically already got.

PSP, I don't see a reason why I would need one, I have a DS for games and my creative zen for media (its an mp4)

Back