• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS or DS Lite?

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2008
    Which one you prefer and basicly why: Nintendo DS or Nintendo DS Lite?

Also it would be great if you´d also share some advices as I will get either one really soon and I am not able to choose which one

Years
    DS Phat because it gets underrated, never gets decals in ONM when the lite does, doesnt break as easily and the lite doesnt even weigh much less.

GO PHAT!

Saud-Blaziken

You Think You Can Beat Me?!
    Years
    Well The DS lite Is Acutely Better Its Much Brighter And Weights Less Then The Old One You Should Get a DS lite.

Serious

Ev'ing is for the talentless
    Years
    I never owned the ds fat. I have lite cuz it looks better, you can get more acesoories for it plus its easier to hide in class :)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Well I have an original DS at the time but my mom has a Lite and I prefer hers because the color on that screen is noticably brighter and clear, especially when play pokemon the sprites look better, for my birthday on the 15th Im getting a DS Lite and an R4. The range of colors is better too, my mom got the pink one and I have the red and silver original and am getting the red and black Lite

R a i n n s a n雨

デンリュウ
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2010
    I prefer Lite well because its smaller and more portable than the normal Nintendo DS. Not only that its brighter than the normal one and its louder!!

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years
    It's been quite some time since I've seen an original DS, but I own an Lite and I like it. As others have said, it's brighter, which I think is nice. (I went from an original GBA to a DS Lite, so it was a huge switch for me.) Since I don't have anything to argue against the original DS, so I'll just say that the Lite is a nice little system, slim enough to fit into most bags and carrying cases, a good light, and, if you're into it, plenty more customization options.

Guitar God in Training

Glam Metal Rules
    Years
    DS Phat is way more comfortable than the Lite and less fragile, which is why I'm not upgrading mine yet.
    However, I hate to say this but, I reccomend the Lite, simply because Nintendo completely ignores Phat users and there are no compatible accessories being sold for it anymore.
    The Phat's finish scratches easily as well.

Nintendo's next DS will hopefully be more comfortable than the Lite.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Since this is discussing technology that has to do with video games, it belongs in Other Games~

-Moved-

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Since this is discussing technology that has to do with video games, it belongs in Other Games~

-Moved-

.....................................................Classic.

Anyway, I have both, and I have to say that the DS Lite is the better of the two. Not only is it easier to carry around, but the controls are a little easier to deal with, the buttons are more raised from the system so they're easier to press, and the light is actually a bit brighter and crisper.

Years
    I like the Lite. It's smaller, brighter, ect. It's a whole lot easier to stash in my purse! XD & the skins are pretty neat too!

Shem

Bored...
    Years
    Which one you prefer and basicly why: Nintendo DS or Nintendo DS Lite?

Also it would be great if you´d also share some advices as I will get either one really soon and I am not able to choose which one

Definatly ds lite, Its got a brighter screen, seems alot more durable (my ds is falling apart), and its not a brick like the ds. Or you could wait for the new ds, anyone know if the ds lite compact is real or fake?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020

-Moved-
    It would be easier if all actual technology was kept in Computers/Technology Discussion, and only discussions pertaining to games themselves kept here.

I prefer the original DS because I like the added weight, simple as. That and the DS Lite is nothing but a sales gimmick to get people to rebuy a DS.

evilmagikarp94

Don't mess with Magikarp!
    Years
    Definitely DS Lite, the stylus is in an easier position to get it out and the screen is brighter plus it isn't as bulky and feels way more comfortable.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    I am SOOOO tempted to move this to OVP just to be a prick. XD

Anyway, I have both the DS and the DSLite, and I've had both and quite a while. And personally, I love my DSLite. The old DS is big, clunky, the screen isn't as bright and so on. Where the DSLite is smaller, smooth, has different brightness settings and so on.
    Now, it is true that the DSLite can be broken more easily then the old DS. The old DS is a rock, you can drop that thing from like 500 stories and it'll still be ok. But the DSLite... yea it's more for looks, the smaller, and the upgraded stuff.

Apple Inc.

This Changes Everything. Again
    Years
    I prefer the original one as when you have a GBA game in the DS Lite 1/2 of it is sticking out the bottom and if you drop it. It's toast.

Rinku

Is back for "REVENGENCE."
    Years
    I think I'm gonna have to say DS Lite, because it is very nice (simple design, easy-to-grip stylus, doesn't scratch easily, light in weight, vivid screen color, etc.) though thinking about the negitive features... (very fragile, half-exposed gameboy cartridge, etc.) it is a tough decision...

but, still... DS Lite is the way to go!

Last edited:
    Back