• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS vs. PSP

Well, which one?

• Total voters

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021

No game now simply has simply "giant yucky pixels". It a matter of how complex the polygons can get.
    This is part of debating you don't seem to get. It's an over exaggerated statement to show how graphics do matter to a large portion of gamers out there.
    That's already answered with a previous quote.
    However there are so many devices, the developers are looking at the "innovations", then trying to make games to fit around them. Not approaching the DS with their games, and finding they can improve them on the DS because it has these things. Most of the games out there for the DS now are just novelties designed to show off the features. I get what you're saying, that it offers innovation. But so so much, and most untested, developers feel pressured not to use it as they need it, but to work it in any way they can. Look at the game out now, almost all of them follow this.

I'll take my FPSes on the PC rather than some tiny box that has horrid controls. D-pads are either be too slow or too inaccurate, since every button press value is fixed, rather than having a variable joystick.

Adding more innovation into the mix isn't a negative thing. It's better to have more options than to simply make a rehash system of a console. If a piece of technology wasn't found to be useful, then it will be removed in the next Nintendo portable system.
    You seem to think I'm marketing for the PSP. I'm not. I think all 3D needs to stay off handhelds, because, yeah, it works better on consoles. I prefer those games on a TV/PC screen, and a touch screen isn't going to cover that up. Nintendo is just as much to blame for rehashing old technology, then covering it up with some clever ideas. Even if they work, the meat of the console is still stale. At least the PSP is using modern technology. The DS isn't, and again, it's using these devices to cover it up. But both don't belong in the handheld market.
    My POV still say says the PSP is a POS (lots of acronyms there). The DS may be a step down from the PSP in terms of power, but the PSP is just a downgraded laptop. There are many less rude ways to refer to the PSP, but they don't hold the same truth to the system nor does it continue the nice acronym repetition.
    The DS is just a downgraded console with a few peripherals if you want to put it like that. The GCN is just a less powerful Xbox. But there's more to it than that.

And there is no truth in what either of us are saying, except when we link to statistics. Because the PSP being a POS is your opinion. Me thinking they're both a waste is my opinion. I'm not trying to pass it off as fact. I thought you were criticizing my debating style?

It's interesting how you enjoy debating, yet you answer your own rhetorical questions.

Aren't rhetorical questions used to force your answer of a question onto the opposing point of view?
    I was showing you how games will be presented poorer on inferior hardware, no matter how hard the developers work. I don't see your point?

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
  • This is part of debating you don?t seem to get. It?s an over exaggerated statement to show how graphics do matter to a large portion of gamers out there.

This is part of debating you don?t seem to get. It's a means by which your rhetoric can be disregarded/belittled.

?This has huge potential. It's very nice that we can create games using DS that were not possible before.?
    -- Yoichi Haraguchi, Vie President of Namco

?When Nintendo came down and presented the DS platform to us, ? I think everyone was in shock. It was amazing. ? Our technical and central technology guys were kind of drooling at the abilities and wanting so much to program and dive into programming for the system. ? Nintendo DS, I believe, is a revolution in change for hand-held gaming.?
    -- Will Kassoy, vice president, global brand management, Activision

?The Nintendo dual screen is something that we?re really excited about developing for. It?s very innovative, which is classic Nintendo.?
    -- Nick Earl, vice president and general manager, Electronic Arts

?The fact that touch panels can be associated with many terms about touching that we never had, such as touch, push, feel, rub, slide and pat is wonderful. ? I have been working in this industry for 20 years. During that time I made many games. But I think this is the first time that we have a new input device.?
    -- Yuji Naka, senior corporate officer, development division, Sega

Nintendo DS is ?a new game machine that will build the future of the game industry. ? Our frontier spirit has been awoken.?
    -- Tsunekazu Ishihara, chairman and CEO, Pok?mon

?Nintendo DS is going to push the hand-held technology to really uncharted territories. By that I mean that it?s going to bring amazing new game mechanics, new game design.?
    -- Yves Blehaut, senior vice president, Atari

?I think the DS will stimulate the process of game development.?
    -- Tomofumi Gotsubo, president and CEO, Konami of America

You said that developers didn't like the added peripherals? Few games are out now. You can't expect that a system's features will be fully taken advantage of at the onset of the system's life.

Pressure seems to be nonexistant with developers regarding the DS. Indeed, there is a great sense of enthusiasm and renewed creativity. Where was your point going?

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    As soon as I get well I've more points to make, although perhaps the pressure isn't as bad as I'd feared. But yeah, just letting you know I'm still in this. ^_~

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • HellishHades said:
    This is part of debating you don't seem to get. It's a means by which your rhetoric can be disregarded/belittled.

"This has huge potential. It's very nice that we can create games using DS that were not possible before."
    -- Yoichi Haraguchi, Vie President of Namco

"When Nintendo came down and presented the DS platform to us, … I think everyone was in shock. It was amazing. … Our technical and central technology guys were kind of drooling at the abilities and wanting so much to program and dive into programming for the system. … Nintendo DS, I believe, is a revolution in change for hand-held gaming."
    -- Will Kassoy, vice president, global brand management, Activision

"The Nintendo dual screen is something that we're really excited about developing for. It's very innovative, which is classic Nintendo."
    -- Nick Earl, vice president and general manager, Electronic Arts

"The fact that touch panels can be associated with many terms about touching that we never had, such as touch, push, feel, rub, slide and pat is wonderful. … I have been working in this industry for 20 years. During that time I made many games. But I think this is the first time that we have a new input device."
    -- Yuji Naka, senior corporate officer, development division, Sega

Nintendo DS is "a new game machine that will build the future of the game industry. … Our frontier spirit has been awoken."
    -- Tsunekazu Ishihara, chairman and CEO, Pok?mon

"Nintendo DS is going to push the hand-held technology to really uncharted territories. By that I mean that it's going to bring amazing new game mechanics, new game design."
    -- Yves Blehaut, senior vice president, Atari

"I think the DS will stimulate the process of game development."
    -- Tomofumi Gotsubo, president and CEO, Konami of America

You said that developers didn't like the added peripherals? Few games are out now. You can't expect that a system's features will be fully taken advantage of at the onset of the system's life.

Pressure seems to be nonexistant with developers regarding the DS. Indeed, there is a great sense of enthusiasm and renewed creativity. Where was your point going?
    What developers say and what they do are two totally different things. Developing games with all of these special features might sound like a fun idea, but their finished product is yet to be experianced.

Like I said many times before, waiting is probably the best option to take, considering that zilch is really known about these products game-wise. =/

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • Brittany said:
    What developers say and what they do are two totally different things. Developing games with all of these special features might sound like a fun idea, but their finished product is yet to be experianced.

That's not always the case...heck, Namco expected Tales of Symphonia to flop, and it sold wonderfully...

What I can say is, usually what the deveolpers say is true, but there are the rare occasions where the two are totally different things, which is what your saying.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • Dakota said:
    That's not always the case...heck, Namco expected Tales of Symphonia to flop, and it sold wonderfully...

What I can say is, usually what the deveolpers say is true, but there are the rare occasions where the two are totally different things, which is what your saying.
    *developers
    *you're
    :P

Anyway, what I'm saying is, assuming the best for a product, when we have almost nothing to base it on, isn't a particularly smart move. Of course, you may be right, but it's still a risky move in my opinion. Of course, developers will love it's novelty design and features, but saying that it is easy or even feasable may be words that we shouldn't put into developer's mouths. Utilizing those features may compromise classic gameplay. Why?
    -Cartridge space is low.
    -Hardware's performance is behind the times- finding balance(more of a compromise IMO) between gameplay and features always has to be met to make the game run smoothy.
    -Usage to appeal to gamer's interests

Sacraficing what we already have, to get new 'features' is a dilemma developers will have to face sooner or later.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
  • Brittany said:

Like I said many times before, waiting is probably the best option to take, considering that zilch is really known about these products game-wise. =/

* experienced

If a developer says that they will be able to do many things with a system and they continue to develop for a system, that developer hasn't any pressures regarding "forced innovation". That's all I was trying to say.

The new features on the DS will allow games to be made and played in different ways, unlike the PSP. The PSP's name says it all. It's just a portable Playstation 2. The games for the PS2 have already been done. The genres available and hardware limitations have been established, and if anything, a portable version of the PS2 will have more limits than the actual PS2 (i.e. Where's the analogue stick?). In effect, there will likely be more rehash than anything else. That's Sony's problem with their portable device.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • HellishHades said:
    * experienced

If a developer says that they will be able to do many things with a system and they continue to develop for a system, that developer hasn't any pressures regarding "forced innovation". That's all I was trying to say.

The new features on the DS will allow games to be made and played in different ways, unlike the PSP. The PSP's name says it all. It's just a portable Playstation 2. The games for the PS2 have already been done. The genres available and hardware limitations have been established, and if anything, a portable version of the PS2 will have more limits than the actual PS2 (i.e. Where's the analogue stick?). In effect, there will likely be more rehash than anything else. That's Sony's problem with their portable device.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding then, but I still brought up another point.

PSP isn't just going to be a portable PS2. It will have it's share of PSP-only games- especially when PS3 gets released. I don't think PSP will come any close to the graphics possible with PS3 and it's Cell. Considering that PS2 could perform PS1's FMV graphics as gameplay graphics, I expect the future to follow in a similar fashion. *dreams of CG cinemas being performed in real time*

Oh yes PSP does have it's analogue stick, you may have not noticed it. :\

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
  • Brittany said:
    Sorry for the misunderstanding then, but I still brought up another point.

PSP isn't just going to be a portable PS2. It will have it's share of PSP-only games- especially when PS3 gets released. I don't think PSP will come any close to the graphics possible with PS3 and it's Cell. Considering that PS2 could perform PS1's FMV graphics as gameplay graphics, I expect the future to follow in a similar fashion. *dreams of CG cinemas being performed in real time*

Oh yes PSP does have it's analogue stick, you may have not noticed it. :\

It's pretty flat for an analogue stick. I don't know that you could call it one. It's more like a really multidirectional control pad.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • HellishHades said:
    It's pretty flat for an analogue stick. I don't know that you could call it one. It's more like a really multidirectional control pad.
    Well, it works well. A tiny bit getting used to, but it works nicely nevertheless.

Sadly I don't own a PSP for myself yet though, I was at my uncle's house. :(

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
  • DS vs. PSP

Sony and Nintendo should be using the analogue device (on the left) on the above PC controller. It works as well as a conventional stick and it is no more high than buttons. I have a controller like this, and the control is nice.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 27, 2007
    I choose for PSP,

Simply because I really liked the playstation far more then the n64.
    And it will be probably the same for PSP and DS.

The Playstation had,
    Better graphics
    Better games, it had much more games and also longer games. (the good RPG's for example)
    Better controlller
    Discs >>>>>>>> Carts

And the idea of the touch screen, is pretty useless. It is really difficult to control, it takes for ever to get used to it.

And the very kiddy games on the DS are one reason I won't buy it.
    If I would be younger (like 10) I might have bought one.

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    HellishHades said:
    DS vs. PSP

Sony and Nintendo should be using the analogue device (on the left) on the above PC controller. It works as well as a conventional stick and it is no more high than buttons. I have a controller like this, and the control is nice.
    Not an official post here, but quote for emphasis. D-pad only is just stupid with 3D games, for both handhelds.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
  • A game can be programmed to interpret an analogue stick like a D-pad, but the controls on the converse just stink. Mario 64 was easier to play than Mario 64 DS.

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    That's a point I made way back, somewhere in here. Kinda disappointing, cause frustrating controls can often cover up a good game. That's why they should stick with 2D or games that actually use the stylus, like Warioware. >P

Years
  • i go for the ds^__^and i dont know if its told here yet the psp has a cooling problem o.0; its get overheated after a little time>_<

Back