• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DSi Discussion Thread

Are you going to buy the DSi?

• Definitely, I love it!

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • What a ripoff. NO

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • Whats a DSi?

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I hope!

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • maybe.

Votes: 20 21.1%

• Total voters

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Wha?! Yes thats right. Nintendo would love to implement a phone into the DS if charges werent existant. You read right its from iwata asks for the DSi
    https://www.nintendodsi.com/iwataasks/vol4_page1.html
    We also learn some other sutff about the the DSi. Anyway lol it now seems the ds will never get a phone inside it. But you never know. But may i just say that if it did nintendo would not only cream the PSP but the i-phone. I know i sound crazy but i would see it happening. But also how the hell would it be a phone? You flip it open and to the side? I could never see my self holding my DS to my ear. Never.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    That's actually pretty cool.

It would look weird to hold the DSi next to your face while walking down the street though. I'm just too analytical.

BUT NO I really do think that's a cool idea, I would most definitely use it... at home. But only if you can talk long distance. If not, there wouldn't really be any point for me to get it xD;

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't know if it would "cream" the IPhone. The IPhone is a cornerstone, no one item is going to bring it down that much or quickly. A DSi phone would be interesting, though the bulkiness that would come with it would be a bit on the inconvenient side. As for it "creaming" the PSP, Sony would just retaliate by doing the same thing. :|

glow.ForEveR

wut is this i dont even
    Years
    Looking forward to the Dsi?

Hey guys.. I was just wondering if you guys are excited as me about this Dsi. I cant wait! ill be going to the gamestop i work at for the midnight opening on the 4th!!!! OMG i cant wait!!!

How bout you guys? :3

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    I have mine preordered and will be going to the midnight launch next saturday night.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I've got the original DS and it stills works fine. I don't see the point in going to buy a system I already have. Whether it has new features or not doesn't defeat the point that I already have something to play DS games on. XD;

I do like the DSi's fancy blue color though. It's very nice.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    I honestly couldn't care less at the moment.

My DS Lite still works and I rather enjoy having a GBA slot for Pokémon and playing older games that I still enjoy.

And this is coming from a Nintendo fan boy. The DSi is a downgrade in my opinion. Removing the GBA was a horrid move, even if it made the system smaller. The DS Lite is compact enough. And I'm sure they could have found another spot for SD cards.

Conman

Knowledgeable Ignorance
    Years
    I could never see the DS as a phone unless it got hax shrunk to a point it wouldn't look weird and would feel decent. Though this does make me think of something better than a phone for a DS! Video chat, basically a phone but better and then it also wouldn't look weird.

----------------
    Listening to: DOOM - That's That
    via FoxyTunes

Cid

Years
    It WOULD feel weird having a phone as big as a Nintendo DS.

Weird idea, but could be useful at times.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    It's an okay idea, but how could you make it small enough to be convenient while incorporating two large touch screens? It just doesn't sound feasible.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Maybe if the app had capability to work with a wireless headset, it would be more convenient, but Nintendo would have to make the app free if they expect us to buy that headset.

Oh, and put touchscreen Qwerty letters for texting while you're at it.

Cid

Years
    Hmm...
    Now that I read it, I think I get the picture.

The wireless headset and the touchscreen as the keyboard sounds neat.

But still, it's bulky. It will probably always serve as a side app because of its size.

glow.ForEveR

wut is this i dont even
    Years
    I honestly couldn't care less at the moment.

My DS Lite still works and I rather enjoy having a GBA slot for Pokémon and playing older games that I still enjoy.

And this is coming from a Nintendo fan boy. The DSi is a downgrade in my opinion. Removing the GBA was a horrid move, even if it made the system smaller. The DS Lite is compact enough. And I'm sure they could have found another spot for SD cards.

TBH, I think the "bad" in taking out the gba slot is just opinionative. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder amirite?

Ill just wait till the DsiWare lets you download the games. Nintendo said that in 2 years they want their full gameboy and gba libraries on there. and i have my reason to believe pokemon will be one of the first games available.

So taking out the slot is not so bad after all.

Gavin<3

Years
    I didn't get myself a DS and still haven't played through D/P very far :]

So a DSi might very well come in handy. Pity it's probably not cheap though. My economical situation isn't a petal dance today.

Starway

Artist and Gamer
    Years
    I don't really care if it comes out or not I'm perfectly fine with my really old red DS still works perfect for me and intill it breaks I won't be seeing any new game system in my future.

xMiZx

Lazy Battler
    Years
    Looks like it may be successful. But I already have a DS, so I'm not looking into getting it until sometime next year.

Morgenstern

"Lame."
    Years
    I'm still using the old DS, and personally I love it to bits, so it would take something pretty nifty to convince me to buy a DSi. However, I am looking forward to seeing what other people think of it, because I wanna know whether or not to get one in a few months, when they're a bit cheaper x3

It seems really over-priced in comparison to 'superior' consoles (at least as far as graphics and capabilities are concerned), such as the Xbox 360. I saw an advertisement up in my local GAME store proclaiming: "Trade in your Nintendo DS Lite, Nintendo Wii, or Xbox 360 20GB, and get a Nintendo DSi for half price!" Loads of people were commenting on the ridiculousness of it - I mean, surely an Xbox 360 or a Wii is worth more than half of a little handheld console? O_o

Well, it baffled me, to say the least. But yeah, I'm kinda excited about it.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    It's a gimmick, they took bits from PSP and crammed them into a DS, but removed BW compatibility.

When the guy in Gamestation tried to get me to reserve one, my initial question was "what makes this better than DS?"

He went on a bit about being able to store music, take pictures and download games, I told him my PSP does this just fine, in fact better (for music and film anyway). He then said that DSi can play any nes, snes or GBA game ever made via download, again i told him my PSP does that, but will play Megadrive, PS1 and Arcade games too (due to CFW). He then said DSi had a touch screen. I kindly pointed out my current DS has one of those.

I asked him does it offer anything worthwhile as a stand alone console to someone who owns a PSP and a previous DS. He mumbled something then pretended to have to check something.

Long story short, the DSi isn't worth the extortionate price tag, especially when it's fundamentally the same as the DS, with a bunch of haphazard and limited extras thrown in.

Back