• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Duck Dynasty guy encourages men to marry 15 or 16-year-old girls.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    @007_Eleven - You shouldn't assume the same of everyone based solely on your own experiences. Yes the majority of both guys and girls at that age are way too immature to even consider marriage but there is a minority in the age group that really could handle it. There's not really much evidence I can give other than saying I know people who got together then that are still together and live together (in fact one was fourteen at the beginning). If you look hard enough you'll find the odd person like that.
    That's true but you really shouldn't encourage it. The point of the matter is that this duck dynasty derp thinks that it should be encouraged, and considering how I was at 15/16 I say a BIG NO lol

It works sometimes, sure, but most of the time it doesn't, at least in our culture.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    The concept of being "too young" is a pretty interesting social phenomenon.

Biologically, we reach sexual maturity very early on, sometimes as early as 10-11. To say that someone is "creepy" for feeling an instinctually determined attraction to someone post-pubescent is like faulting water for being wet. "Feeling" and "acting upon feelings" being two different things, of course.

Everything else related to this subject is entirely decided upon by society. You only think age gaps and young marriages are gross because you were told to think it's gross. If tomorrow, all of society decided that the legal age of consent were 10, you'd be appalled at first, disgusted, but eventually you and everyone else would be okay with it because that's how normalisation works.

Teenagers are immature because our culture perpetuates that immaturity. We coddle our youth far longer than we should, to the point where you have people well into their 30s and even 40s (very late if not too late biologically to have children) saying they're not "ready" to handle "commitment". Yes, every person is different but this happens far too often, and unfortunately we've adopted the mindset that that is the norm and people simply cannot be "mature enough" at a young age. What is our standard for maturity, I wonder? Why is 16 legal and 15 a crime?

Again, an interesting phenomenon. For the record I personally wouldn't marry someone under 20 because they probably aren't as mature as I'd like them to be, but that probability exists because society made it that way, not because a 15 year old is intrinsically immature.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2015
    It doesn't break your leg nor picks your pockets if Phil believes something based off a book full of fictional characters and stories. If that's what he believes then that's his business and if he wishes to express it, that's his right.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
    It doesn't break your leg nor picks your pockets if Phil believes something based off a book full of fictional characters and stories. If that's what he believes then that's his business and if he wishes to express it, that's his right.

Can we please keep religion out of this?

Anyway, I agree with everyone who says that most teens aren't mature enough to make a commitment.

Nakala Pri

Because guys have urges, and they need to fufill those urges so they don't go out onto the streets and drag a kid behind an alley, so then the young girl jumps in the sack and...

THEN I BUST THROUGH THE DOOR AND VICIOUSLY MAIM DAT GUY!!

And how will that work out? He might want kids, and she'll be like, sixteen, then when he get's her pregnant, then what? Is she gonna spend her teenager years cleaning diapers?

I think this is sick. >:C

I'm blunt, Moddies, deal with it. *puts on sunglasses*

Years
    I think it's kinda... sick.

Because guys have urges, and they need to fufill those urges so they don't go out onto the streets and drag a kid behind an alley, so then the young girl jumps in the sack and...

THEN I BUST THROUGH THE DOOR AND VICIOUSLY MAIM DAT GUY!!

And how will that work out? He might want kids, and she'll be like, sixteen, then when he get's her pregnant, then what? Is she gonna spend her teenager years cleaning diapers?

I think this is sick. >:C

I'm blunt, Moddies, deal with it. *puts on sunglasses*

Oh God that annoys me.
    I like you Tiara, but seriously?!?! SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!

Women get sexual urges just as bad as men do. Don't suggest that the reason this is wrong is because a male might decide to jump a younger girl and get her pregnant. Plenty of times it is the girl - younger or not - that's the instigator and if that results in her getting pregnant and cleaning baby butts before she's even legally an adult then that's her fault. Yes, sometimes it's the man. But it is also sometimes the woman.

@Daigonite - I'm not saying encourage it, I'm just saying don't put stigmas on things unnecessarily.

It's exactly as LoudSilence said, these are all random social rules developed by society. The way I see it, it's not that he thinks it is a good idea to marry significantly younger girls it's why he thinks that's a good idea.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    This is a producer of a popular TV show. He's going to say things to get the public stirring and watching his show because that's all that matters. Anybody who actually is following what people say like that have some serious issues or something. If you're a 16 year old girl and you see someone say "It's okay to marry at 16" I guarantee that in this day and age, you'll probably have enough common sense to know that you probably shouldn't.

As stated earlier, this is all just a stunt to bring more attention to Duck Dynasty. Stuff like that works.
    Miley Cyrus' whole 2013 was saying she's pregnant, wearing clothes that raised eyebrows, twerking and smoking weed. And guess what? She was the most viewed celebrity of 2013.

Negative Media is more popular than positive media and that's how the rich gets richer.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    To all of you people who call it "sick", "disgusting" and "wrong", bear in mind it'd be a lot more sick if he was encouraging men to marry to 10-year-olds. A mere century ago terms like ephebophilia had no meaning, as it was the norm to marry fourteen-year-olds at that time. Physically the majority of women are capable at that age of what they can do at 25, but their mental stability as far as the inworks of a marriage is more questionable. Seriously, he's not encouraging pedophilia; stop pretending to be grossed out.

To the point: Don't you think they'd have a school of some sort to put guys like Phill-O through that teaches him to shut his god damn mouth? Apparently this whacko has no concept of public image, and the fact that the majority of people don't agree with his ass-backwards 18th-century frame of mind. The fact is, it's on him and his employers, ultimately. All I'm responsible for is laughing my ass off at his massive display of ignorance.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    To all of you people who call it "sick", "disgusting" and "wrong", bear in mind it'd be a lot more sick if he was encouraging men to marry to 10-year-olds. A mere century ago terms like ephebophilia had no meaning, as it was the norm to marry fourteen-year-olds at that time. Physically the majority of women are capable at that age of what they can do at 25, but their mental stability as far as the inworks of a marriage is more questionable. Seriously, he's not encouraging pedophilia; stop pretending to be grossed out.

As I said in my post, some 10 year olds are already sexually mature, though. Achieving psychological fortitude is a matter of social upbringing, not mental incapability. You alluded to it yourself: it would have been perfectly okay 100 years ago because terms like "sick" and "disgusting" are relative to the times.

Responsibility was taught a lot earlier on as well. This I feel is more in line with nature, as nature deems us as adults at puberty. Why do we force the mind to lag behind?

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years

To the point: Don't you think they'd have a school of some sort to put guys like Phill-O through that teaches him to shut his god damn mouth? Apparently this whacko has no concept of public image, and the fact that the majority of people don't agree with his ass-backwards 18th-century frame of mind. The fact is, it's on him and his employers, ultimately. All I'm responsible for is laughing my ass off at his massive display of ignorance.

I see what you mean. One of my great-grandmothers was married at 14 and had her first kid at 16. Her husband was 10 years older than her. They were from a rural village in Lebanon. (It was perfectly normal in those days - and in some areas of the Middle East they still do that.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    While biologically, marrying at 15 or 16 would be fine I don't think that it would be fine as a social aspect. 50 years ago? Yeah, probably but society is a hell of a lot different today than it was back then. Most teenage marriages don't last, it's better to wait until a woman has matured to be married. Men marrying young girls is frowned upon today as well.

At Duck Dynasty, the show's alright but it seems to be mostly fake. I'm not a fan of it although most people in KY and the south are....

Lord Kraith 2

Старый Сергей
    Years
    While biologically, marrying at 15 or 16 would be fine I don't think that it would be fine as a social aspect. 50 years ago? Yeah, probably but society is a hell of a lot different today than it was back then. Most teenage marriages don't last, it's better to wait until a woman has matured to be married. Men marrying young girls is frowned upon today as well.

At Duck Dynasty, the show's alright but it seems to be mostly fake. I'm not a fan of it although most people in KY and the south are....

By society, you talking about West society and English speaking countries. Where I from, men marrying younger girl higher encouraged. Im talking about Buryatia and rest of Northern Asia. In fact, nearly all countries in Asia except for countries where Americans have influenced.

What the guy in Duck Dynasty say I think correct. Men naturally go for younger women. I considered 15-16 to be women not girls. Also marrage stability is better with older men and younger women. Also this what nature encouraged. America and West are feminist countries. This might be why big difference compare to past. Also I think West people have highest divorce rates in the world, and they are marrying at age older than most countries. Good thing if I marry, I don't marry in West countries views too different.

Back