• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

EA Sports - It's in the game!

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    What is your opinion on the sports gaming genre? Do you end up buying the newest edition of a sport each and every year? Do you ever just feel like the games are the same but with updated rosters?

FIFA is one of the worst offenders for this; FIFA 14 is one of the weakest in the series that I can recall, it really is just a FIFA 13 update/expansion pack (and considering FIFA 13 itself wasn't great...).

That said, I still do end up going to buy the newest one (partly through morbid curiosity, partly because i'd miss out on the drunken FIFA tournaments with my friends).

I think EA could do with actually listening to the fans and trying to implement some of their ideas, rather than churning out the same game year in/year out.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    FIFA is one of the worst offenders for this; FIFA 14 is one of the weakest in the series that I can recall, it really is just a FIFA 13 update/expansion pack (and considering FIFA 13 itself wasn't great...).

That said, I still do end up going to buy the newest one (partly through morbid curiosity, partly because i'd miss out on the drunken FIFA tournaments with my friends).

I think EA could do with actually listening to the fans and trying to implement some of their ideas, rather than churning out the same game year in/year out.

Do you find that one of the biggest draws to buying a newer version is because all your friends have it? Have you ever tried to convince them to stick with older versions?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Do you find that one of the biggest draws to buying a newer version is because all your friends have it? Have you ever tried to convince them to stick with older versions?
    They wouldn't be able to play online.
    The biggest draws to buying a newer version is multiplayer.
    Older servers get closed after 2 years.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    They wouldn't be able to play online.
    The biggest draws to buying a newer version is multiplayer.
    Older servers get closed after 2 years.

Ahh, that last sentence was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. I understand better how sports games corral their players now.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2017
    Bought NHL14 when it was just released. Don't really see much improvement with NHL09. It's just like you say, updated rosters. EA is a terrible company, 'nough said.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I am completely bored out of my mind when I play sports games. They're just so repetitive and it gets old so quickly. I played one game of NBA and I was wanting to quit by halftime. The teammates I wasn't controlling were making the same mistakes over and over again no matter what. It was so infuriating when my team left a guy wide open and he made the three-pointer after the tenth time.

My oldest brother, on the other hand, can't get enough of those games. He spends all day, every day playing them. I don't get how he can still find it interesting. He has to have the newest version of every sports game excluding golf, FIFA, and hockey. I was looking through our old games and realized that we had way over 100 old x-box games. Over half of them were my brother's sports games.

Anyway, in case you couldn't tell, I really couldn't care less about sports games. I think EA just tries to squeeze as much money as possible out of each of their games, and I don't really play a lot of games by them because of it.

Years
    Yea... it's unfortunate to admit but it's fantastic marketing on EA part...
    And terrible for fans... With this no one at EA can be surprised at decreasing sales...

Ahh, that last sentence was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. I understand better how sports games corral their players now.

Before online play it was the promise of better gameplay and up to date rosters, the latter of which was always a huge draw.

I own a few of EA's sports games, but none are newer than 2011, I think.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
    The last EA sport game I bought brand new was Madden 11. I am huge sport gamer I love FIFA, NBA Live (Nintendo 64 to about the original Xbox era), The NBA Street & NFL tour games are my Favorite by far. I'm also fan american college football so NCAA used to be a must. But EA can no longer make the college game anymore because of a lawsuit involving using player likeness in game and the players not get paid. :/ Madden hasn't been fun since 11 so nothing EA is offering in the sport department has me gunning to buy a new sports game from them. And the new NBA Live for Next Gen is awful so I want no part of that game.

Back