• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Earth Hour

Years
    Has anyone heard of Earth hour?

Today, Saturday 28th, Earth Hour will make an effort to tell everyone to turn their lights out from 8-9PM to help stopping climate change.

Personally I think it wont stop climate change much but it could be my chance to experience blackouts like in WWII.

Still I think its a bad idea.

Your thoughts?

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    It's a nice idea and may help, but the idea that entire countires or even entire cities will do this is completely unrealistic. I for one hadnt heard about it until now, and i dont think restaurants or hospitals will wanna continure business in the dark lol

Black_Wolf

I'm online. I'm just invisible
    Years
    I heard about it. Heck, the whole base knows about it. We got some of those Environmentalist chicken littles askin for us to turn the lighs off.

Are we gonna do it?

Not likely, We can't get anything done without lights.

But I still think it would be nice to be able to see the stars, though.

Spaekle Oddberry

this is why i'm hot
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    I didn't know about it until around 3 AM this morning when I went on Google and was all ":0 Google turned black!"

And, well, uh, I guess it's not hurting anything if just for an hour? I'm assuming it's a voluntary thing and not some "OKAY CITY'S SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN" ...which actually could be a problem. But, if it's just a thing you can choose to do, most people won't bother. Meh.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Actually, a lot of cities are really pushing Earth Hour. The city I'm in (Toronto) is one of the official participants so a lot of businesses and restaurants are actually going through with it. For example, one restaurant downtown that usually has a DJ will be having acoustic music all evening and dinner in candlelight.

Anyway, I don't believe having a lot of people turn lights off for an hour will have any real impact on the environment, but the whole point of it, as I see it, is mostly to raise awareness. It kind of reminds me of when a lot of the Eastern US and part of Canada had those blackouts in August... '05? All of a sudden we had no lights but with a few candles, we were able to pretty much continue on as normal. It really wasn't too bad at all. I know my family will sometimes leave lights on when we don't really need them so maybe a night like this will just teach a little preservation. It might make people realize just how unnecessary some things we take for granted are.

My family's participating. Though I think only my brother and I will be in the house for that time. XD;

On a related note... has anyone seen Google today?

Years
    Actually, a lot of cities are really pushing Earth Hour. The city I'm in (Toronto) is one of the official participants so a lot of businesses and restaurants are actually going through with it. For example, one restaurant downtown that usually has a DJ will be having acoustic music all evening and dinner in candlelight.

Anyway, I don't believe having a lot of people turn lights off for an hour will have any real impact on the environment, but the whole point of it, as I see it, is mostly to raise awareness. It kind of reminds me of when a lot of the Eastern US and part of Canada had those blackouts in August... '05? All of a sudden we had no lights but with a few candles, we were able to pretty much continue on as normal. It really wasn't too bad at all. I know my family will sometimes leave lights on when we don't really need them so maybe a night like this will just teach a little preservation. It might make people realize just how unnecessary some things we take for granted are.

My family's participating. Though I think only my brother and I will be in the house for that time. XD;

On a related note... has anyone seen Google today?

Yes I have seen Google today.

It really spooked me because when it has a theme it is still white usually I would of though they would of just make the "Google" logo black.

Years
    I think it's good... at least we're gaining a good amount of energy, but the blackouts part isn't gonna be good. :x I'm personally not participating because I like my lights. :D

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Yeah I got freaked out when I saw Google last night...

I'm living at London Bridge.. though honestly there doesn't look like many people are considering in taking part here >_>

Years
    Yeah I got freaked out when I saw Google last night...

I'm living at London Bridge.. though honestly there doesn't look like many people are considering in taking part here >_>

I hate to offend my home country but that is probably because this country cant be bothered.

It could also be because the word hasnt spread here though.

Still I dont think it will go down well with our country at all.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    I have just heard of it right now, and I should be doing it in a minute @_@"
    Well, I guess I will shut as many lights as I can.
    Ok, the streetlamps have gone off XD
    *Yurns the lights off*

Himawarii

LOOOONGITUDE
    Years
    Hahaha I've heard about it since yesterday,and I personally will try and participate,since as of late I've been an environmental freak haha ;]

I liked Google's way of spreading the word xD; It certainly got my attention.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Well.. we're 20minutes into London's Earth Hour.... I've put all my lights out (though not my laptop obviously) and it's really messing up my eyesight >_>

When I look outside the window... everything looks as normal. Guess not many people are taking part. To be fair though it wasn't really well publicised at all.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I won't be doing it, because I'm staying at a hotel xD

Google looks like a piece of crap now xD

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I saw google today, but I didn't know this was the reason why they were doing this. I think it's a good idea and I'm all for conserving energy so my lights will be out tonight. I think some people will go through with it because they've been playing commericals about it around here to get our attention.

So point being, I think it's a good idea and I'm going to do it :D

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Ahhhh so its an american thing. That explains why i havent heard about it :)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Ahhhh so its an american thing. That explains why i havent heard about it :)

No, it isn't.
    According to my usual newspaper, it has been done in 400 cities and towns in more than 35 countries.
    It started this morning in Sidney (Australia) and it will end in San Francisco (USA), after going through Asia and Europe.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    My lights are off right now... but it is almost 11AM.. xD
    I only heard about this last night when it was about 11PM as I happened to be online... it wasn't publicised here at all, so I didn't even know about it when it happened so hence I didn't take part.

It's certainly a nice idea though, conserving the energy. But the question is; how much of an effect is this really going to have?
    I guess it's large-scale enough if everyone did it to conserve a significant amount of energy, but it'd be easier if this just happened usually with small daily routines. I.e. Turning off lights when you leave the room or when not in use... but I guess it's just not that simple a solution to stop climate change. More needs to be done if it's really to work out.

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    I did my earth hour last night.

But we didn't have the middle room light closed.

And my dad was freaking out that we'd get fined or something.. @_@;;

But it's voluntary so yeah. o.o

I don't think shutting off the lights for one hour will do anything. That's just a call for vandalism and whatnot.

Maybe if we had to do it for a day, that might do something.

Back