• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Egyptian Gods Meet Pokemon, Pokemon meet Egyptian Gods

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    I've just spent the last few hours or so working on a plot for a team (excluding legendary Pokemon) designed completely around Egyptian mythology. Tell me what you think:

- Anubis

or
    - Ra

- Bastet
    - Osiris

- Set

- Hathor

Reasoning for Pokemon choices:

Lucario - Anubis has a Jackal head and Lucario has a Jackal head...'nuff said.
    Charizard - Ra is the Sun God with a falcon's head. While Charizard may not have a falcon's head, he's got the Sun God part down pat.
    -or-
    Pidgeot - While Charizard eminates the Sun God aspect of Ra, Pidgeot certainly has the falcon and Egyptian look better. Also, Amore kindly referred me to Bulbapedia where it says, "Its eye markings strongly resemble the Sun/Sky gods of Egyptian mythology; Ra and Horus."
    Weavile - Bastet is a cat. Weavile is a cat with an Egyptian headdress. Match made in Sinnoh?
    Houndoom - Osiris is Death, but instead of going with a ghost type, Houndoom popped up (thanks Amore). Houndoom cry is stated to sound like the coming of the Grim Reaper.
    Sandslash - Set is sometimes described as an aardvark and is god of the desert. Sandslash anyone?
    Miltank - Hathor is represented by a cow and is female, Miltank...yeah.

Last edited:

LiquidR

I am the shadow on the moon at night
    Years
  • I would have used Moltress as Ra, main reason is that Ra is depicted as a bird-like creature. But hey, that's my opinion.

Either way, I like the choice you made.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    I would have used Moltress as Ra, main reason is that Ra is depicted as a bird-like creature. But hey, that's my opinion.

Either way, I like the choice you made.

I would totally agree with you, however, it's like I put in the first post, I wanted a non-legendary list.

My reasoning on Charizard was much the same as it would be with Moltres. Ra is the Sun god and depicted with a falcon head, thus he would be a fire / flying type Pokemon. That leaves me only three options: Charizard, Moltres, and Ho-oh. Seeing as, again, legendary Pokemon are out, Charizard is left to be ruler of the Sun.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~~.~.
    Rules said:
    Teams do not have to include a full six pokemon
    . However, all team members must have movesets listed. It is preferred that you add other information such as natures, items and abilities as well, but these are not required. Please use something resembling the following format when posting your team:

Do this plz. ^

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010

Do this plz. ^

I'm sorry, I had already planned to do this but just needed some time to pull that info together.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

Sableye is good, after all, he has no weaknesses. Also, Houndoom means you have another fire-type. But you have two normal-types, after all.

I just thought I'd point out that Houndoom's Japanese name is "Hellgar", and Bulbapedia also states his cry was once thought to be the call of the Grim Reaper.

Just food for thought, I think both Houndoom and Sableye are good.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010

Sableye is good, after all, he has no weaknesses. Also, Houndoom means you have another fire-type. But you have two normal-types, after all.

I just thought I'd point out that Houndoom's Japanese name is "Hellgar", and Bulbapedia also states his cry was once thought to be the call of the Grim Reaper.

Just food for thought, I think both Houndoom and Sableye are good.

That is actually a pretty great idea for the Osiris Pokemon; I might just do that. Also, I'm thinking of swapping out Zangoose for Weavile. I think it has a bit of an Egyptian look going on and it takes a Normal type out of the mix since, like you said, there are two already.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yeah, it does. Also, something else for your consideration, Pidgeot's Bulbapedia states "Its eye markings strongly resemble the Sun/Sky gods of Egyptian mythology; Ra and Horus."

I think it does have a slightly egyptian feel.....and while Charizard's stronger, Pidgeot has the appearance....

Found some Weavile stuff for you too: "Its appearance seems to be based on old Egyptian fashion, as it "wears" a headdress, collar, and earrings similar to what Egyptian deities wear. Its "eyeshadow" also resembles Egyptian makeup. It is possible that Weavile has some influence from Bastet or Sekhmet in its design, being somewhat feline based, and having a very Egyptian style and garb. In addition, both these deities were famous for using their claws in warfare."

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    Yeah, it does. Also, something else for your consideration, Pidgeot's Bulbapedia states "Its eye markings strongly resemble the Sun/Sky gods of Egyptian mythology; Ra and Horus."

I think it does have a slightly egyptian feel.....and while Charizard's stronger, Pidgeot has the appearance....

Found some Weavile stuff for you too: "Its appearance seems to be based on old Egyptian fashion, as it "wears" a headdress, collar, and earrings similar to what Egyptian deities wear. Its "eyeshadow" also resembles Egyptian makeup. It is possible that Weavile has some influence from Bastet or Sekhmet in its design, being somewhat feline based, and having a very Egyptian style and garb. In addition, both these deities were famous for using their claws in warfare."

Funny you mentioned Pidgeot; I had actually planned on him using him for Ra at first because he does represent the falcon head part of Ra, but I do not get the Sun part reflected in him. I sortof saw Charizard as representing both. On a side note, Pidgeot is actually one of my favorite Pokemon to date.

As for Weavile and Houndoom, the information you shared has hammered those decisions in!

-Updated first post-

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Good to know I helped.....I'd be stupid to argue against Lucario, I thought he looked like Anubis without even knowing what that was....and I don't know about Sandshlash and Miltank either, but they give balance to your team xD

Although, if you weren't going for the aardvark (whatever that is), Flygon is the "spirit of the desert":P

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    I had thought of Flygon, but Sandslash fits the role of Set perfectly.
    This is why:

This is an aadvark. Not only does Sandslash have a reasonable resemblance to this, but his is also a ground type.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yeah...Sandslash is definitely the best choice here. It may not be a "god of the desert", but it's a hell of a lot harder to hit in a sandstorm than Flygon....

Also, after looking in deeper...Sandslash is one of those pokemon that I've assumed is worse than it is.....it's actually pretty strong...

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    I've always liked Sandslash. The fact that he may be under par doesn't bother me at all. My only intent behind making this team is for role-playing the real games with. I'm not too big into Shoddy and competitive play.

Brave Jonah

Ground Trainer
    Years
  • great choices. the anubis and bastet are great choices

I've got to agree with Tolanator. The Anubis and Bastet Pokemon are perfect matches, maybe even the Set, but the Ra, Osiris, and Hathor don't grab me right away as great matches. Though, there might not be better choices than what you've got listed. As for Ra, being between Charizard and Pidgeot, I'd lean towards Pidgeot.

So, are you going to actually play this team in a game? Roleplay it maybe?

Back