• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Election 2016

Years
  • I feel like I have to reiterate the part about Mrs. Clinton talking about her being a woman again because it just irritated me so much that someone would use this as a talking point.
    I was also irritated, but for a slightly different reason. It was that she mentioned it like that was all she needed to say. She could have tried to tie it strongly to other issues like pay inequality and how she could sympathize with that because she's faced some kind of disparity in her own life, could have used it as a platform to address a lot of issues, but no. I don't know if it's because she didn't want to come off as "angry feminist" or or she thought it was self-explanatory (which it can be for some people, but not the people who need to hear it) but it was a lot worse to bring it up like she did and then not follow through.

Years
  • I was also irritated, but for a slightly different reason. It was that she mentioned it like that was all she needed to say. She could have tried to tie it strongly to other issues like pay inequality and how she could sympathize with that because she's faced some kind of disparity in her own life, could have used it as a platform to address a lot of issues, but no. I don't know if it's because she didn't want to come off as "angry feminist" or or she thought it was self-explanatory (which it can be for some people, but not the people who need to hear it) but it was a lot worse to bring it up like she did and then not follow through.

For me, I found it distasteful because I felt she was doing it to pander to her audience (who surely erupted into applause upon hearing it). And prompted to speak about policy she says that "there's a lot she'd do" and she'd "build on and go beyond" on a "full range of issues that she's talking about this campaign" which she apparently didn't talk about in her answer to this question and you'll have to look up her platform to see what she actually means. Which I feel was a cop-out answer.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I was also irritated, but for a slightly different reason. It was that she mentioned it like that was all she needed to say. She could have tried to tie it strongly to other issues like pay inequality and how she could sympathize with that because she's faced some kind of disparity in her own life, could have used it as a platform to address a lot of issues, but no. I don't know if it's because she didn't want to come off as "angry feminist" or or she thought it was self-explanatory (which it can be for some people, but not the people who need to hear it) but it was a lot worse to bring it up like she did and then not follow through.
    I'm rather glad she didn't, since I don't buy it and I tend to find the discussion misleading and, by extension, upsetting. I've seen what I believe to be very reasonable critiques of the modern feminist rhetoric on the subject, both professionally through formal research and informally [and again] through observation and reasoning.

It seems like the tendency when talking about the wage gap, especially among many modern feminists and the politicians appealing to them, is to imply that employers are actually paying people significantly differently based solely on their sex or gender, which doesn't really seem to be the case. I will admit that I seem to recall a report that women are less likely to negotiate their salary given the same circumstances, which, if true, is a legitimate and remediable problem by way of mandatory salary renegotiation (banning salary renegotiation is a terrible idea that only harms workers), but if this really is true, it's still not a phenomenon created by employers intentionally doing anything wrong. Regardless, I think mandatory salary renegotiation is actually a pretty good idea, whether this turns out to be the case or not.

Anyway, one of the more rational (but still, I believe, misguided) arguments regarding this subject is the idea that women simply aren't pursuing careers in lucrative fields and that this is a problem. In fact, I agree with that right up until the part that says "this is a problem." I don't believe there is an issue with men and women having a tendency to pursue different kinds of jobs. There's nothing wrong with people choosing to pursue things that interest them. People shouldn't be pushed into fields they're not interested in and they certainly shouldn't be bribed with incentives doled out purely based on their gender or race or whatever. If there is a problem, it is that men and women are interested in different things to begin with as a result of their upbringing, but even this I don't really see as a problem. It's more just something that is, I don't really think it's good or bad. What's important is that people be free to pursue their own ends. To that end, I also don't think it's right for certain programs to exist that try to get certain demographics into a specific field; I think it would be a much better and fairer use of resources to try and get everyone interested in your field. Every time I hear about one of these programs, like programs that specifically try to get girls involved in technology, I think of all the boys out there who might also be interested in the subject but whom nobody is going out of their way to involve with these things. It really bothers me that some kid might be missing out on something they could really be interested in because so many universities only care about appealing to certain demographics.

On the other hand, the more extreme "remedies" proposed to the wage gap "problem" tend to be along the lines of mandatory adjustments to salary based on sex or gender (unfair and sexist) or taking the power away from employers to determine wages on their own, which removes their ability to account for education, experience, merit, risk, demand, and countless other factors that I'm sure hiring managers use that I haven't thought of (unfair and stupid). These are things I am definitely opposed to and would significantly influence my voting decisions, as fair treatment based on sex/race/etc. is the second most important issue to me as a voter (the first being the preservation of and possibly improvements to the democratic process). So I suppose I should be happy that this isn't one of the issues du jour of the Democratic Party right now, as this tends to be the kind of discussion that happens surrounding this issue.

I would, however, like to see someone bring up the fact that workplace deaths are overwhelmingly male. I think that's a rather interesting data point. It really makes me wonder: if some modern feminists believe that the solution to gender-based differences in wage statistics is to modify wages based on sex or gender to force equivalency of aggregate data, what exactly would their solution to gender-based differences in workplace death statistics be?

... on second thought, maybe it's a good thing nobody talks about this.

Sir Codin

I'm rather glad she didn't, since I don't buy it and I tend to find the discussion misleading and, by extension, upsetting. I've seen what I believe to be very reasonable critiques of the modern feminist rhetoric on the subject, both professionally through formal research and informally [and again] through observation and reasoning.

It seems like the tendency when talking about the wage gap, especially among many modern feminists and the politicians appealing to them, is to imply that employers are actually paying people significantly differently based solely on their sex or gender, which doesn't really seem to be the case. I will admit that I seem to recall a report that women are less likely to negotiate their salary given the same circumstances, which, if true, is a legitimate and remediable problem by way of mandatory salary renegotiation (banning salary renegotiation is a terrible idea that only harms workers), but if this really is true, it's still not a phenomenon created by employers intentionally doing anything wrong. Regardless, I think mandatory salary renegotiation is actually a pretty good idea, whether this turns out to be the case or not.

Anyway, one of the more rational (but still, I believe, misguided) arguments regarding this subject is the idea that women simply aren't pursuing careers in lucrative fields and that this is a problem. In fact, I agree with that right up until the part that says "this is a problem." I don't believe there is an issue with men and women having a tendency to pursue different kinds of jobs. There's nothing wrong with people choosing to pursue things that interest them. People shouldn't be pushed into fields they're not interested in and they certainly shouldn't be bribed with incentives doled out purely based on their gender or race or whatever. If there is a problem, it is that men and women are interested in different things to begin with as a result of their upbringing, but even this I don't really see as a problem. It's more just something that is, I don't really think it's good or bad. What's important is that people be free to pursue their own ends. To that end, I also don't think it's right for certain programs to exist that try to get certain demographics into a specific field; I think it would be a much better and fairer use of resources to try and get everyone interested in your field. Every time I hear about one of these programs, like programs that specifically try to get girls involved in technology, I think of all the boys out there who might also be interested in the subject but whom nobody is going out of their way to involve with these things. It really bothers me that some kid might be missing out on something they could really be interested in because so many universities only care about appealing to certain demographics.

On the other hand, the more extreme "remedies" proposed to the wage gap "problem" tend to be along the lines of mandatory adjustments to salary based on sex or gender (unfair and sexist) or taking the power away from employers to determine wages on their own, which removes their ability to account for education, experience, merit, risk, demand, and countless other factors that I'm sure hiring managers use that I haven't thought of (unfair and stupid). These are things I am definitely opposed to and would significantly influence my voting decisions, as fair treatment based on sex/race/etc. is the second most important issue to me as a voter (the first being the preservation of and possibly improvements to the democratic process). So I suppose I should be happy that this isn't one of the issues du jour of the Democratic Party right now, as this tends to be the kind of discussion that happens surrounding this issue.

I would, however, like to see someone bring up the fact that workplace deaths are overwhelmingly male. I think that's a rather interesting data point. It really makes me wonder: if some modern feminists believe that the solution to gender-based differences in wage statistics is to modify wages based on sex or gender to force equivalency of aggregate data, what exactly would their solution to gender-based differences in workplace death statistics be?

... on second thought, maybe it's a good thing nobody talks about this.

Maddox did a very amazing video about the whole gender wage gap issue:

Here's his accompanying article: https://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=hire_women

Here's also a few of the sources he cited in the video (the article has even more sources cited at the bottom:

https://www.consad.com/content/reports/Gender Wage Gap Final Report.pdf
    https://www.aauw.org/files/2013/02/...and-men-one-year-after-college-graduation.pdf
    https://www.ne.su.se/polopoly_fs/1.99257.1346412310!/menu/standard/file/anna_sandberg.pdf

Another thing the article notes is that women seem more likely to argue for better wages when they're told to "ask for better wage" instead of "negotiate for higher pay": https://www.med.upenn.edu/gastro/do...erandframingontheinitiationofnegotiation..pdf

Years
  • I really don't think that anybody would imagine Clinton as an "angry feminist" right now, and if she tried to portray herself in that way, it would only perpetuate the belief that she'd say anything to get elected.

Sir Codin

I really don't think that anybody would imagine Clinton as an "angry feminist" right now, and if she tried to portray herself in that way, it would only perpetuate the belief that she'd say anything to get elected.
    Oh, dear science, yeah.

We've got enough of that nonsense with Trump.

Years
  • -lots of text-
    I don't want to get too off topic, but I think what you're talking about is (correct me if I'm wrong) that you see programs trying to entice women (for example) into STEM fields (for example) as a kind of push to create an artificial equality of men and women when women and men aren't necessarily interested in the same things in the same numbers. Consequently, because not all fields pay the same, there will be some inequality based on that. That about right?

I agree to a point. People should be free to pursue whatever they want. What I think should be addressed is the kind of situation where a certain field is less appealing to women (for instance) not because of the inherent nature of the field but how its members treat women. So in the chicken-and-the-egg debate I see women not going into certain fields as often as men is because they are not welcomed or are in some way or another actively or artificially pushed away from it. They don't find it appealing because they can see all the extraneous stuff that they'd have to deal with and take that into consideration. I don't think it's usually intentional that people in a field are creating a hostile environment, but I think it's still on them to change it regardless. That's the kind of way I'd like to see pay/workplace inequality addressed.

Re: workplace deaths, I think a feminist would say that more safety precaution and/or regulatory oversight would be helpful. I've heard (anecdotally) that in police forces it's men not women who instigate/exacerbate the overwhelming number of violent encounters while woman officers are much better at de-escalating potentially dangerous situations so I think a feminist would encourage the adoption and training of all officers in the methods/manners used by those successful women officers as a way of reducing violent encounters and consequently deaths of officers.

twocows

Years
  • I'm going to apologize in advance because this is probably going to get a bit long and I generally like to try and keep things as brief as I reasonably can.

I don't want to get too off topic, but I think what you're talking about is (correct me if I'm wrong) that you see programs trying to entice women (for example) into STEM fields (for example) as a kind of push to create an artificial equality of men and women when women and men aren't necessarily interested in the same things in the same numbers. Consequently, because not all fields pay the same, there will be some inequality based on that. That about right?
    Yes, that's exactly right.

I agree to a point. People should be free to pursue whatever they want. What I think should be addressed is the kind of situation where a certain field is less appealing to women (for instance) not because of the inherent nature of the field but how its members treat women.
    I agree, and I think there's a discussion to be had there. There are definitely some people in certain fields that act unfairly toward people on this basis and I believe that's wrong and something that we should speak out against.

On the other hand, there are cases like the so-called "Donglegate" that took place at PyCon where I think things were taken way, way too far. It's one thing to be overtly unfair or unprofessional to someone, it's another to make a benign joke to someone in a conversation that was never intended to be public. I think the person who uploaded that to Twitter with the intention of shaming these people did a bad thing, though I don't think it was bad enough that she deserved to be publicly shamed herself and lose her job in the same way the other person did.

In general, I think any accusations of unfairness (or of most things) should be approached with the assumption that all parties were acting in good faith, because usually people are. That way people aren't, for example, publicly shamed to the point of losing their jobs because they made a joke about the word "dongle" in a conversation intended to be private. But unfortunately, it seems like in the age of the internet, everyone is so quick to assume bad faith whenever something marginally bad happens. People always seem ready to jump on their high horse and start acting like they're the holiest kid on the block whenever they see even the smallest perceived injustice.

I'm not really sure what specific point I'm trying to make, I'm really just ranting about several things (it's late), but I think you probably get what I'm saying. There's more to this than just being fair and while I think we do need to address people acting like jerks on the basis of things like gender or race, I have concerns with the "climate" that may come about as a result of people trying to address this issue without considering it more deeply. Obviously, I care more about these issues since many of the fields under scrutiny are fields I am involved with.

So in the chicken-and-the-egg debate I see women not going into certain fields as often as men is because they are not welcomed or are in some way or another actively or artificially pushed away from it. They don't find it appealing because they can see all the extraneous stuff that they'd have to deal with and take that into consideration. I don't think it's usually intentional that people in a field are creating a hostile environment, but I think it's still on them to change it regardless. That's the kind of way I'd like to see pay/workplace inequality addressed.
    Changing attitudes is a very difficult thing to do without causing a huge mess. I think it's even more difficult in a case like this where there are a lot contributing factors making it more complex; it's much easier when it's simple to determine who is right and who is wrong. It's hard to argue that segregation is a good thing, for instance.

Part of the problem is that, for brevity's sake, we have to generalize a lot when talking about this issue. Unfortunately, these generalizations themselves are part of the problem, making people on both sides constantly feel straw-manned or stereotyped. This tends to drive people even more into the team mentality, which tends to give a bigger voice to the extremists on both sides and, as a result, drive more people to the extreme positions. And the fact that there are so many different people (a fair few with their own agendas) arguing so many different things contributes to a general sense of confusion; people on either side or on the outside don't see a nice, concise list of points and counter-points, they see a giant mess of cruel one-liners, over-the-top rhetoric, propaganda, and the occasional tl;dr post like this that tries to wade through some of the complexity and probably ends up failing to do so adequately.

The end result of this giant, mangled mess is that people on either side are going to rally behind incidents like the one I mentioned that showcase the worst bits of the other side. Journalists report on the more extreme incidents and viewpoints because they're more interesting and profitable; the kind of discussions we're having here aren't very interesting to your average reader. Eventually, people who stand to profit even more off the situation (journalists, politicians, lawyers, business owners) are going to smell blood and come running to support one side or another, cheered on by people too blind to see past the us-versus-them mentality, who are just happy to have another person in their corner and who all too eager to see those a-holes on the other side suffer the same way they made us suffer. In the end, we will get action, and probably plenty of it, it just won't be very good action. The change that we get might have a few good things that one side or the other likes, but it's also going to have a fair lot of stuff the extremists on either side wanted as well, as well as a lot of stuff that benefits those politicians/businesses/etc that decided to get themselves involved for their own benefit. As a whole, we'll all be largely worse off than we were before when there was the occasional incident where someone acted like a jerk now and then and usually got called on it.

For ideas on the kinds of things we might see, rather than a professional or even informal code of ethics that incorporates professionalism and fair behavior (as close to an ideal solution as I can come up with) while simultaneously protecting certain kinds of behavior, we might end up having some businesses that deliberately pay women more, other businesses that respond to this by capitalizing on the negative sentiment that this creates, maybe a new law that forbids salary renegotiation in the name of helping women, another law passed in the name of fighting "those darned liberals" that guarantees a company's right to deny employment to someone on the basis of sex, and tons of published articles from everyone and their mother evangelizing these actions from either side to their followers and demonizing the "other side" for doing the same sort of thing. Meanwhile, plenty of people are profiting off the whole situation at all of our expense. All the while, all that was probably needed to begin with was a bit of honest discussion, a more-or-less formal code of ethical behavior agreed to by moderates from both sides, and an assumption by people "on the streets" that, without evidence to the contrary, others are acting in good faith.

Re: workplace deaths, I think a feminist would say that more safety precaution and/or regulatory oversight would be helpful.
    Sure. Most rational people would say that. The point I was making was that looking at aggregate statistics and then deciding a course of action meant to "correct inequality" without investigating further is a bad idea. It was probably a bit inflammatory, but for all my whining about one-liners and over-simplifying things, I seem to be guilty of it, too.

I've heard (anecdotally) that in police forces it's men not women who instigate/exacerbate the overwhelming number of violent encounters while woman officers are much better at de-escalating potentially dangerous situations so I think a feminist would encourage the adoption and training of all officers in the methods/manners used by those successful women officers as a way of reducing violent encounters and consequently deaths of officers.
    I don't know whether that's the case, but I was thinking more about jobs in industry and such. I guess public service probably has more deaths, though; I'm sure being a police officer is probably one of the more dangerous lines of work. I do think many officers could stand to be trained better in deescalating situations. I don't know if that has anything to do with gender or not, though.

Years
  • Okay so Ben Carson's been moving up in the polls.

I have but one thing to say: will that man say anything to get conservatives to like him?

I mean, he is a neurosurgeon, so scholarly values should be important to him. At least he asserts that vaccinations have never caused autism.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years

I have but one thing to say: will that man say anything to get conservatives to like him?

I mean, he is a neurosurgeon, so scholarly values should be important to him. At least he asserts that vaccinations have never caused autism.

Fun fact: I have autism and I was NEVER vaccinated. People who believe that myth are either ignorant, uneducated, superstitious, or all of the above.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years

He's saying all the 'right things'(by conservative standards). And he's black, so that helps somehow. And he's not as crazy as Trump.

Years
  • I'm only 16, but I identify myself as a Republican. Actually, I'd say I'm pretty far to the right. But I can honestly say that I am not racist, and I do believe in equal pay for women. I'm not really sure why that's even still a problem?

I don't think there are any perfect choices out of the GOP side, but all in all (and I'm going to be in the minority here) I think Trump is my pick. He has said some pretty whacky things for sure, but that's to be expected from any candidate. One of the most common rumors about his is that he is racist - but personally, I don't think he is. He doesn't have anything against Mexicans, he has something against illegal immigrants. And I can bet you that nothing will be done about illegal immigrants unless Trump is elected. Also, Trump is an excellent businessman. He knows how to stretch a dollar, and he knows how to negotiate. I feel like he genuinely cares about America, but hey this is politics.

I'm not completely opposed to Sanders' idea of more affordable college, but that sounds like $$$ for us.

Also, please, PLEASE, don't vote for Hillary for the sole reason of her being a female. I have actually heard a couple people say that they want to see her win because they have always wanted to see a woman as president. It will happen eventually and that's fine, but gender shouldn't be a voting factor imo.

What am I doing, I'm too young for this stuff. :x

twocows

Years
  • I'm only 16, but I identify myself as a Republican.
    You're pretty close to voting age, I wouldn't worry about it. Heck, I'd say everyone should be discussing these things at your age. Besides, what matters is the content of what you have to say. If you say something that doesn't make sense, someone will point it out. Being younger just means you're more likely to say something that lacks perspective or insight, but everyone says things like that occasionally. It's less important to always say something insightful and more important to discuss things honestly, consider other peoples' arguments, and be willing to sometimes reevaluate your position in light of new information.

Debate is supposed to be about people on both sides learning new things and better understanding the truths of a matter. It frequently brings out ideas or observations you might not have considered. Sometimes, both sides will even be able to reconcile their differences and reach a central truth or at least a decent compromise. But even when there are irreconcilable differences between two positions, good debate can make it so that the ideas each side puts forward are more meaningful and the solutions they propose more comprehensive.

So, in my opinion, it's always a good thing to talk about these sorts of things. You shouldn't be worried about discussing them because of your age; quite the opposite, the earlier you start talking about these things, the more perspective you'll have as you get older.

I do believe in equal pay for women. I'm not really sure why that's even still a problem?
    Most people, regardless of political affiliation, believe that sex and gender should not be a factor in pay unless it's actually relevant to an employee's ability to perform their job duties. The real issue is, are most employers currently fair about this, and if not, what should be done to correct this?

My belief is that most employers don't discriminate on this basis, and so obviously nothing needs to be done. I believe that those who think there is a "wage gap" are arriving at that conclusion based on a combination of false information, misleading information, and personal bias.

I think this section on the Men's Rights subreddit FAQ, which contains links to several sites, provides a pretty good argument against the existence of the "wage gap."

[Trump] has said some pretty whacky things for sure, but that's to be expected from any candidate.
    I don't think so. Most people expect a certain decorum from their politicians, especially from candidates for the POTUS. The President in particular has to interact with other world leaders on a daily basis. Trump seems to say whatever comes to mind whenever he wants to. That is not a positive attribute for someone in that position.

One of the most common rumors about his is that he is racist - but personally, I don't think he is. He doesn't have anything against Mexicans, he has something against illegal immigrants. And I can bet you that nothing will be done about illegal immigrants unless Trump is elected.
    I don't think he's racist. I don't think most people think he's racist.

Regarding his immigration policy, I think I've heard him argue against people who are here legally, which is ridiculous. Or maybe I just misunderstood him. Either way, I think his position on immigration is callous and short-sighted, to say the least. I'm fine with cracking down on illegal immigration, so long as the ways in which we do it are effective and not just a waste of money. However, I also think we need to make it easier and quicker for people to be able to immigrate legally. The current process is difficult and takes a long time; that encourages illegal immigration. It also makes a lot of people suffer unnecessarily. Make it easier for people to immigrate legally and I think illegal immigration will become less of a problem.

(As a side note, I don't think we should relax background and security checks for people seeking to come here; we need to look elsewhere to make the process easier and quicker)

Also, Trump is an excellent businessman. He knows how to stretch a dollar, and he knows how to negotiate.
    I don't know about that. I suspect he might be well-versed in one particular part of business. I don't think that qualifies him to be a politician, especially not the POTUS. Politics isn't just about "playing hardball," there are a lot of differences between government and business.
    I feel like he genuinely cares about America, but hey this is politics.
    Well, he sure says he does. But that doesn't really mean much. Like you said, this is politics.

I'm not completely opposed to Sanders' idea of more affordable college, but that sounds like $$$ for us.
    I haven't heard enough about Sanders' proposal to comment on it specifically, but I think any plans to make education more affordable need to address the core problems that make our system ridiculously expensive to begin with. Paying the costs of education might make it easier for kids to attend college, and that is definitely a good thing, but we're going to be paying a lot of money if we don't address the core problems driving rising college costs.

Also, please, PLEASE, don't vote for Hillary for the sole reason of her being a female. I have actually heard a couple people say that they want to see her win because they have always wanted to see a woman as president. It will happen eventually and that's fine, but gender shouldn't be a voting factor imo.
    Yeah, it's pretty pathetic that some people are seriously considering her solely on the basis of her being a woman. That shouldn't be a factor at all, or at the very least, it should be one small factor among many other more important ones. It's disheartening that there are people out there who don't care about how candidates are going to solve issues and are voting purely on the basis of sex or gender.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Personally I favor Hillary over Sanders. Hillary at least, I know. I also know she is less left leaning than Sanders is, which I think is good, she will make more progress that the Right-wing-nuts cant undo should they get back into office again.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Sanders will do! But I think it is the wrong time for him to take office. I expect that if the Republicans see Clinton as evil, then Sanders will be regarded as "Literally Satan" and they will cause more stupid problems with their temper tantrums if he begins to win it.

Years
  • Personally I favor Hillary over Sanders. Hillary at least, I know. I also know she is less left leaning than Sanders is, which I think is good, she will make more progress that the Right-wing-nuts cant undo should they get back into office again.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Sanders will do! But I think it is the wrong time for him to take office. I expect that if the Republicans see Clinton as evil, then Sanders will be regarded as "Literally Satan" and they will cause more stupid problems with their temper tantrums if he begins to win it.

I disagree. Firstly, because I'm not too sure will have much to give if he waits a few elections from now. Secondly, if he is elected, he will show the United States that there is a clear alternative to the status quo. Many Americans are dissatisfied with both mainstream parties, and many of those running in the election want to appeal to that, but Sanders seems to be of a different breed.

But I don't know what the President's role is for setting the agenda.

twocows

Years

I won't vote for her in the general election if she's the candidate, which seems likely. For a "moderate" candidate, she's done plenty to piss off moderates.

People keep saying Sanders has less of a chance in the general election but exactly how many independent votes do people really think she's going to win over, let alone any cross-party voters? People don't like her. She has the stink of corruption around her and her policy is awful.

Years
  • I won't vote for her in the general election if she's the candidate, which seems likely. For a "moderate" candidate, she's done plenty to piss off moderates.

People keep saying Sanders has less of a chance in the general election but exactly how many independent votes do people really think she's going to win over, let alone any cross-party voters? People don't like her. She has the stink of corruption around her and her policy is awful.

I don't think that matters. Right now she's presented as the frontrunner. If that's what everybody is saying, that's what everybody will believe. People will vote for her in the presidential elections if they like the Republicans less, and there are plenty of those, so I think she has a good chance at the presidency if she gets the nomination.

Wait, are you suggesting that it'll be more likely for there to be a Republican president if Clinton becomes the Democratic nominee?

twocows

Years
  • I don't think that matters. Right now she's presented as the frontrunner. If that's what everybody is saying, that's what everybody will believe. People will vote for her in the presidential elections if they like the Republicans less, and there are plenty of those, so I think she has a good chance at the presidency if she gets the nomination.

Wait, are you suggesting that it'll be more likely for there to be a Republican president if Clinton becomes the Democratic nominee?
    I've followed Sanders since 2009, long before he ran for President. He's nowhere near as radical as people suggest. But looking at this, it seems like it is people on both sides who keep referring to him as the "radical" choice. I'm no radical and have often rallied against people who I believe are. He doesn't seem like a radical to me, yet many people still call him that. I suspect it's because the media portrays him as a radical despite his pretty reasonable views. So the media is lying. Why?

I've talked to lots of people about the election, both online and offline, and far more people support Sanders than Hillary. Among Democrats and independents that lean left, support for Sanders is almost universal. Now, perhaps Grand Rapids is a lot less average of a city than I thought and perhaps the people I talk to online are a lot less average than I thought, but that doesn't strike me as likely. So in that case, perhaps the polling numbers are lying. Why?

The answer should be obvious. It is a reason that has influenced an increasing number of political decisions since the Citizens United ruling. The reason why Sanders is being slandered as a radical, the reason why Hillary is being advertised and projected as the "landslide victor" despite what seems like pretty huge support for Sanders... that reason is money. Hillary is the better choice for corporate America. Who do you think funds the media and the polling groups and the politicians? Who do you think they answer to? The answer, of course, is the rich elites that run major businesses and corporations, people that are able to influence events much more significantly than even massive groups of ordinary citizens.

I'm not trying to sound anti-corporate here or even anti-rich. Corporations are necessary and useful and having money isn't a bad thing, far from it. However, that doesn't mean that the ultra-rich should be allowed to subvert the democratic process. I'm not anti-corporate, I'm anti-corporatocracy, anti-plutocracy, pro-democracy. The small number of ultra-rich shouldn't have more of a voice in politics than the rest of the country combined... especially when they're doing such a bad job of choosing candidates.

To clarify, I don't think there's some vast conspiracy to subvert the American political system. It's much more mundane than that. It's a bunch of people with a lot of money and influence that share some goals and for whom certain politicians have promised to work toward those goals. I'm not trying to say they shouldn't have any influence, just that they shouldn't have any more influence than the rest of us. If there is some group of people who deserve more influence, it is experts, and they should only have more influence on topics on which they are experts. Having more money does not make you more qualified to make decisions that impact the rest of the country.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I still believe that Hillary has the front running. There Is probably not much you can do right now to change my mind. You say that she has terrible policy but you don't really have any evidence to back that up. Admittedly her platform has been a little bit vague but thats common of all presidential candidates in the beginning. With all that being said it is still only 2015 and there's plenty of chance for her to completely reveal herself as a fool or a tool. In such a case then I probably wouldn't have any problems voting for Bernie Sanders. I definitely can't stand any of the Republicans

Years
  • Nobody should be surprised that Hilary is "establishment" center-left and Bernie is left of center, lol. That being said, he can win, but he needs to hit Hilary hard on being "more of the same" and being business as usual, and he needs to get particular and articulate on his policy stances rancher than just saying that say, corporate greed is bad. (Which it is)

That being said, I will probe vote Sanders in the Dem primary in Ohio, but I will vote for whichever one gets the nomination in November over whichever asshat gets the GOP nod.

Back