• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Electric Terrain in the competitive Sun And Moon Meta?!?

GiaQuando

Banned
Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2020
    So before I start writing down why I believe this will happen,let's see what electric terrain does :

Electric Terrain creates terrain that envelops the field and replaces the background environment and any other terrain that is already in effect. The terrain fades after five turns.
    This terrain has the following effects on Pokémon that are on the ground and not in the semi-invulnerable turn of a move.
    It prevents affected Pokémon from being afflicted by sleep or Yawn.
    If an affected Pokémon is already drowsy due to Yawn, it is prevented from falling asleep.
    Rest will fail if used by an affected Pokémon.
    It increases the damage done by Electric-type moves used by affected Pokémon by 50% (regardless of whether the target of the move is affected by Electric Terrain).
    If Electric Terrain is in effect, Nature Power becomes Thunderbolt, Secret Power uses the animation of Thunder Shock and may cause paralysis, and Camouflage causes the user to become Electric-type. Natural objects disappear and cannot be destroyed while Electric Terrain is in effect.
    Electric Terrain also activates the Ability Surge Surfer.(When the battlefield is under the effects of Electric Terrain, Surge Surfer doubles the Speed of Pokémon with this Ability.)

From what we see here while electric terrain wasn't really used during ORAS since the only thing it did was boost electric type moves(when the ORAS meta focuses on not only have strong pokemon but fast too).
    Using electric terrain just to boost your pokemon electric attacks was kind of a waste of turn.
    But with the ability Surge Surfer during electric terrain we don't have only a boost in Attack but in Speed too!That could be extremely useful in doubles where you could have a pokemon do electric terrain while Raichu is using Protect to ensure you will be at full HP to get the boosts.
    After that we can easily say Raichu would be a considerable threat if used correctly especially if we take in account the Z-Moves too.
    So what are your thoughts about it?I certainly think it will be one of the most used pokemon at least in the beggining if not during the whole meta of the game!​

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • In terms of Doubles, I think that a Tapu Koko + Raichu combo is an excellent hard counter to rain, since Surge Surfer gives Raichu the fastest Fake Out
    of anything we currently know of (assuming it keeps its 100+ base speed).

However, even within Alola, Marowak hard counters this combo, so it would take some crafty team building to justify the two electric types.

Also, having auto-terrain will be really nice against spore amd Dark Void.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I think Electric Terrain gaining usefulness will depend on how useful Tapu Koko/Alolan Raichu turn out to be.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It seems likely Tapu Koko will be allowed in VGC (since it's not classified with Solgaleo and Lunala under "Legendary") so as long as the stats are good I can see it gaining some use. But then again, weather's major nerf in gen 6 made it so that it only saw use in 2016 alongside Groudon and Kyogre. So unless for some reason Electric Surge has Electric Terrain last the entire battle, Tapu Koko and Alola Raichu/whatever else benefits from Electric Terrain would have to be extremely viable for Electric Terrain to gain major popularity. But to be fair, with the advent of Electric Surge, I can imagine it will develop a niche, at the very least.

Years
  • We likely won't know any stats of new Pokemon and Alola Forms until release, but what does interest me here is that the Electric Terrain synergy between Alolan Raichu and Tapu Koko thanks to their abilities revolving around the move.

That makes me believe we could get more new abilities focused around terrain moves, since we also have Grassy Terrain and Misty Terrain, and it would suck if they got overlooked because Electric Terrain is already getting abilities based around it so it would make sense the other terrains got their own abilities as well.

demifiend700

Creator of Pokemon Nova
    Years
  • Unfortunately, the only mons that can actually abuse Electric Terrain are Electric types, which might be a problem with things like Lando-T and Garchomp running around.
    I can see it as more of a gimmick than anything, unless nintendo introduces more mons or abilities that abuse it.

GiaQuando

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2020
    Terrains haven't been really used and I see a lot of potential in those moves so I am highly positive we will see some developement in there!
    But I guess we will have to wait and see :D

Back