• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Elemental Monkeys: Welcome addition or overkill? [ #16 ]

Your thoughts on them?

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I voted for both the first and second option, because my opinion is a mix of both.

I love Pansage and it's evo too.....but Pansear and Panpour seem too similar to me. Although Plusle and Minun didn't have much differences either.

I like the idea....and I do quite like these monkeys, however the designs could be a little bit better.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    I love the elemental monkeys in both design and concept. Their evolutions however are pretty weak (in terms of design), with the water monkey beign the ugliest!

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I do really like most of the pokemon....and it's probably becoming a bit cliche but I'm not mad about the water monkey's evo...

Something about....I think it's leg area with the dress (like a dress anyway) just seems a little......like that part was designed in a rush. I like it's head, but it's body seems off.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • They're interesting, and I do like the designs (except for the Fire one) and the concept, but in the end they're just another useless gimmicky thing. Ofc, out of all the crappy stats they could have had, 98 / 98 offenses and 101 speed is actually pretty amazing (Plusle and Minun wish they had these stats!). But with their crappy abilities and shallow movepool, they aren't very useful.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I love them! I used the fire monkey throughout my entire playthrough of white. I plan on using the water one on my next playthrough.

But I hate their English names.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I love the idea and concept, and the designs except for
    516.gif

I just dont like its design, everything else about it is good.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • → The idea is nice but I don't like the designs
    → I love pretty much everything about them

Basically this. I love the first-stages of these monkeys, but the evos are quite strange. >_> Especially the Water and Grass evos. The concept behind them is great, though it kind of seems more fitting if these guys were legendaries. Pretty cool that they gain access to the starter Pokemon abilities in the Dream World. I don't know if I'll go with those abilities or the Gluttony ones...

For some reason, I see "Aipom and Ambipom" as pseudo-members of the trio, to represent the lesser-seen fourth monkey Shikaru of the "do no evil" concept (their specialty does involve their extremities/arms, after all). And the Chimchar line is still the better fire monkey line. ;)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2011
    I love what they represent, but their designs could have been much better. I feel like the evos should have been more aggressive. Simisage could have been screaming to the sky, Simisear could have been hunched over clasping his hands against his ears as if a terrible sound was hurting him. I'm not sure about Simipour but they could have still done better. It has the worst design overall.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • My favorites out of the trio is Pansage/Simsage, but yeah I agree that the designs could have been much better overall.

Weber

Thats Farfetch'd
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2013
    i do not like them at all, i think they are highly overrated in my opinion, going to keep it as that so i dont steop on any toes.

Vindra

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I'm usually not a fan of monkeys, but I love these guys. I think their designs are really well done, and I love the evolutions as well. I don't like their English names too much, but that's not a big deal to me.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    The Elemental Monkeys concept is very cute. I love how they act like secondary starters too. Even the first Gym which uses them relates to your starter choice. I laughed at their Evolutions. Grass = Elvis, Fire = Spitfire from Air Gear, Water = Mimi from Digimon. XD

Loophoo

Heads will roll.
    Years
  • The concept behind them is really cute. The designs are ... absolutely terrible. The water one especially just looks like a stoned hobo with greasy hair. But yeah, I do like them generally. None of them will get into my party and after I defeat them I probably won't give them a second thought.

Back