• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Elite 4 Strategy (first time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormerEcho

Battle Worthy
Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    Hey people! I'm about to go to the Elite 4 for the first time and I'm pretty nervous since I don't remember anything from it. I was wondering if you people have any suggestions for it. Here's my Party as of now.

Lvl 45 Ho-oh
    lvl 42 Entei
    lvl 38 Maganium
    lvl 37 Kangaskan
    lvl 37 Gyrados
    and maybe a lvl 55 Dragonite?
    All of them by the time I will be 40+.
    Have any strategies?

Gooner_Tyzack

Where's The Frigging Ditto?
    Years
  • I think you'll have a hard time.... I use a lvl 70 typhlosion and then 35+ pokemon and i can't beat lance....You need a good ice pokemon around 50. Preferably with an Hypnosis or something...
    But if i was you just try it... You'll find out what you need to work on from it. :D

StormerEcho

Battle Worthy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    Yeah well my Gyrados knows Ice Fang while my Kangaskan knows outrage and avalanche they both can hit pretty hard.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Just average your team out.

I beat Lance, although Aerodactyl haxxed me to death w flinch/paralysis

My team:

Typhlosion
    Politoed
    Marowak
    Dialga
    Lugia
    Pikachu-Coloured-Pichu

Averaged around lv.45, I think Politoed was 47 and Dialga only 42.

Pichu was lv.37, used for "free" recovery

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Just wing it, you'll have fun ;)

Although I suggest bringing about 10-15 revives, and about the same for full restores.

AssumingRain

pokemon veteran
    Years
  • You need stronger pokemon than that! Go into victory road and fight whatever you see, until you get to atleast 46. Lance will dominate you otherwise.

My stragety was this:

All my pokemon were around 45 or so. I bought around 35 hyperpotions, 15 elixers; 5 full restores; 20 full heals; and I had 3 max revives for last resorts in a battle.

Will was difficult. his xatu came at me with a rough start, and I really had difficulty keeping up with it. I beat him though, maxing out on hyper potions, and the only thing that really gave me trouble was his slowbro, since its defenses were so high after he raised them. The next two took no stragety. The poison guy used alot of bugs, which my pidgeot dominated. Bruno, once again, was dominated by my pidgeot. The fourth one really gave me trouble though, since she was dark. I kept strong and finished her off though. Lance was a beast, as expected. I took out his areodactyl and his charizard with ease. his gyarados and his 3 dragonites...not so much. For the next bit, I sent out lugia and kept using areoblast. when I ran out, I'd use an elixer, when he was low on health, I'd use a hyper potion.

My strategy, overall, was to stock up on medicine, get my pokemon up to the 45s and to OD them on meds when the going got tough lol.If you do that, you should be fine. Also, a thunder or an Ice beam will really help you.

Last edited:

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    I do suggest like, everybody has said, to have your pokemon at around level 45-ish. It will be still be hard but you'll have a much better chance than with what you have now.

Gooner_Tyzack

Where's The Frigging Ditto?
    Years
  • Where do you find Elixirs? I can't seem to find them at stores and my typhosions moves run out quickly :/

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    First off, get a good well-rounded team. It was fairly easy for me with the team in my signature plus one to save you (switch in to heal up and revive then let it faint then switch in whatever you revived to sweep). Next, get your team to a reasonable level (I went in at level 47, but 45 should be the least). Then teach something a good ice typed move. (I taught Politoed a traded over Ice Beam TM). Then go in. With a good well-rounded team each with well rounded movesets, you should make it. Just know the opponents team and each of their team members weaknesses. If you have STAB, use that Pokemon. If you don't, use a Pokemon with a strong move that will be effective. If you do things right, you should get through fairly easily. Before Lance give your ice move user all your rare candies (or so it will be around level 51). Then go in and do the same thing against Lance with what you did with the others, and use your level 51 ice user to hit the Dragonites.

Here is my strategy I typed out for reference:

Will

Xatu vs. Ampharos OHKO
    Jynx vs. Typhlosion OHKO
    Xatu vs. Ampharos OHKO
    Slowbro vs. Bellossom
    Exeggutor vs. Ampharos OHKO
    Koga

Ariados vs. Typhlosion OHKO
    Forretress vs. Typhlosion OHKO
    Venomoth vs. Typhlosion OHKO
    Muk vs. Typhlosion 2HKO
    Crobat vs. Ampharos OHKO
    Bruno

Hitmontop vs. Togekiss 2HKO
    Hitmonlee vs. Ampharos 2HKO
    Onix vs. Politoed OHKO
    Hitmonchan vs. Togekiss and Typhlosion
    Machamp vs. Ampharos, Politoed and Typhlosion
    Karen

Umbreon vs. Togekiss
    Gengar vs. Typhlosion
    Houndoom vs. Politoed 2HKO
    Murkrow vs. Ampharos OHKO
    Vileplume vs. Typhlosion OHKO
    Lance

Gyrados vs. Ampharos
    Charizard vs. Ampharos and Politoed
    Dragonite vs. Politoed and Ampharos
    Aerodactyl vs. Politoed and Ampharos

Electric, Ice, Rock, Ghost, Dark (Xatu)
    Fire, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Dark, Steel (Jynx)
    Electric, Grass, Bug, Ghost, Dark (Slowbro)
    Fire, Ice, Poison, Flying, Bug, Ghost, Dark (Exeggutor)

Fire, Flying, Psychic, Rock (Ariados)
    Fire (Forretress)
    Fire, Flying, Psychic, Rock (Venomoth)
    Ground, Psychic (Muk)
    Electric, Ice, Psychic, Rock (Crobat)

Flying, Psychic (Hitmontop)
    Flying, Psychic (Hitmonlee)
    Water, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Ground, Steel (Onix)
    Flying, Psychic (Hitmonchan)
    Flying, Psychic (Machamp)

Fighting, Bug (Umbreon)
    Ground, Psychic, Ghost, Dark (Gengar)
    Water, Fighting, Ground, Rock (Houndoom)
    Electric, Ice, Rock (Murkrow)
    Fire, Ice, Flying, Psychic (Vileplume)

Electric, Rock (Gyrados)
    Water, Electric, Rock (Charizard)
    Ice, Dragon (Dragonite)
    Water, Electric, Ice, Rock, Steel (Aerodactyl)
    Ice, Dragon (Dragonite)
    Ice, Dragon (Dragonite)

Bold means 4x affective, normal type means 2x affective, everything else is either 1x, .5x, .25x, or 0x affective.

Where do you find Elixirs? I can't seem to find them at stores and my typhosions moves run out quickly :/

You have to find elixers in the wild. Just go through every route picking things up that you didn't the first time through.

Last edited:

StormerEcho

Battle Worthy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    Wow thanks for all the replies but the money seems really hard to get even after I took it from my mom. Training will be devious but it'll be worth it. Also should I bring in a Jolteon or something else? Since I have 2 ice attacks and one of them has outrage it'll be easier against lance (MY Kangaskan and Gyrados) Since my Gyrados beat Claire at lv 31-33 it could take Lance at like lvl 45+?

SethOmega

I'm hiding in your hat.
    Years
  • One thing that is a problem for ANY Pokemon League is PP. From the start, you should start storing any PPups or Ethers or Elixers in the PC, and now is the time to take them out. Try to use moves that have under 8 PP only when needed. Good Luck!

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    To be honest, my toughest battle against Lance were Gyarados and the outraging Dragonite, so just go prepared and do what you can to give yourself the advantage (legit). If you need to trade your pokemon to sinnoh and train them over there, do it, or if you need to drop a member for a much better member, do it as well. This is the Elite 4 and they are brutal (especially Karen and Lance).

StormerEcho

Battle Worthy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    Or I could 'cheat' by trading my good pokemon over from my Jap SS lol but that's a last resort! >:(

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Or I could 'cheat' by trading my good pokemon over from my Jap SS lol but that's a last resort! >:(

I traded over a golem and a totodile to help me out. hahaha Do whatever you feel like doing.

StormerEcho

Battle Worthy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    Ok lol that just took out some guilt if I did that!
    Thanks everyone keep on Suggesting I want to beat them on my FIRST try! And I know you all are good at strategies!

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • [ My elite four strategy ] get a yanma, now.

Wow thanks for all the replies but the money seems really hard to get even after I took it from my mom. Training will be devious but it'll be worth it. Also should I bring in a Jolteon or something else? Since I have 2 ice attacks and one of them has outrage it'll be easier against lance (MY Kangaskan and Gyrados) Since my Gyrados beat Claire at lv 31-33 it could take Lance at like lvl 45+?
    Yes about Gyarados and Jolteon. I used Raikou (lv 47) and Gyarados (lv 46) and they were great. Lance was a challenge for me simply because I refuse to use healing items in the game. XD;

StormerEcho

Battle Worthy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    [ My elite four strategy ] get a yanma, now.

Yes about Gyarados and Jolteon. I used Raikou (lv 47) and Gyarados (lv 46) and they were great. Lance was a challenge for me simply because I refuse to use healing items in the game. XD;

I was trying to catch Raikou actually for it but I can't seem to do it, Oh well I'll trade it from my SS and use it instead of Jolteon, I'll make my Eevee an Espeon!

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
  • For money, Set your clock to Tuesday, Go to the Lighthouse, and call Gentlemen Alfred, and keep rebattling him, And use an Amulet coin if you can. He has a lvl 36 Noctowl, that will give you around 1000 exp per battle, and 7k Money, And 14k money with amulet coin, and you can just keep calling him and battling him, at least 30 times a day.
    You will end up getting like 300-400k by the time your done, I did this only two days, (Spent about 30minutes each), And got like 100 ultra balls,100 Full restores,80 Hyper Potions,60 Full heals, 50 Escape ropes,100 max repels. and a ton of other stuff.
    And for the e4, just get 1-3 pokes with good types/stats at around lvl 45-50 and your good.
    I beat the e4 with a lvl 48-52 Alakazam, and lvl 45-48 Scizor.

StormerEcho

Battle Worthy
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    Yeah I would try to get a Sizor but I don't have Scyther (bug catching contest today) or Metal Coat (have no clue on getting it)!!!

Sudeki

Can you feel it?
    Years
  • For the Metal coat just get 2500 points on friday at the pokeathalon, If you want I can trade you an Adamant Scyther with Technician ability, holding a Metal coat for free if you want?

I can get like 800 points a run at the pokeatholon, which only takes like 5minutes.
    Since I get around 500points from the events, then a Bonus 300 since I do the "Supreme Cup" ones.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back