• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Elm's Togepi and the issue about Eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtPatches

i has a beard
Years
  • Boy, was I happy last night when my egg hatched into a Togepi and I realized it had Extrasensory as an egg move. That makes Togepi so much more usable. Although that could only happen if its father was a Hoothoot or Noctowl with Extrasensory.

Which begins to confuse me about Professor Elm. Professor Elm is just dumbstruck when he receives the egg, like "HERPA DERP WHAT'S THIS," when someone down the line who gave it to him must have somehow realized that breeding a male Hoothoot or Noctowl with a female Togetic or Togekiss would produce that result.

Which also furthers my amazement considering just a few towns over from New Bark Town, near Goldenrod, a couple has been breeding Pokemon.

Which forces me to ask the question:

"WHO THE HELL MADE SOMEONE LIKE ELM A PROFESSOR?"

I mean seriously, is it that hard to figure out what an egg is and how it's produced? He treats it as if he just found a statue of the Virgin Mary crying blood.

Years
  • LMFAO!!! Oh wow, I love you right now. You're just like me in that you think of things like this and question the logic of it in the game. Like with Falkner. You should go look at what I just said about Falkner in his topic. It's completely ridiculous how they put these things in the games and just expect us to not realize how much sense it does NOT make. And the sadder part? Most people DON'T think about this stuff. *sighs*

cystar

Favorite Pokemon is Politoed
    Years
  • Yes exectlly he thinks anything with an egg is amazing when according to the game timline you can do it i r/s/e witch is 3 years prior

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Yes exectlly he thinks anything with an egg is amazing when according to the game timline you can do it i r/s/e witch is 3 years prior

RSE takes place 2 years after HGSS. RGBY/FRLG takes place 3 years before HGSS.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Heh, I and a friend have also often wondered about Elm's stupidity. Although competent professors aren't always in supply - Oak is the shizz and Rowan is all right, but Birch gets harassed by a Poochyena/Zigzagoon. Well done, professor.

I'll add one other thing to Elm's problems with eggs (never mind him managing to get robbed) - he has a family with a kid. And he doesn't understand where eggs come from.

He has a kid...wdfhkfuhviujwefovip0ofd. =(

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    Well in Pokeverse Eggs seem to be created from the energy between 2 pokemon, not sexually, at least according to Cynthia's words from the Arceus event, so Arceus can Breed, only with hundreds of Unknown, ad the baby is neiter species of the parent.

Shiari Xero

Completely Original
    Years
  • You guys are looking at G/S/C, and yes back then he was stupid, but in the revamped HG/SS dialogue he says:

"This is an Egg...isnt it? This Egg may be something ive never seen..but still its just an Egg." and so on. Implying he has seen eggs, but just not the type that togepi is in.

:P

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    Of course, but the Kimono Girl who gave it to Mr.Pokemon, must've knew what it would be, so either they didn't tell Mr. Pokemon, or he's a jerk.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    I know the game is a remake but I wish they'd changed the dialogue a bit so that it at least made sense. This type of stuff really did bug me. -_-'

Of course, but the Kimono Girl who gave it to Mr.Pokemon, must've knew what it would be, so either they didn't tell Mr. Pokemon, or he's a jerk.

lmfao. Exactly.

ShiShi

Shorts! <3
    Years
  • Elm is the newbie of the Pokemon professors, so of course he's not all that edumacated about stuff like eggs and breeding. In fact, he's not actually a professor at all yet- he's just Prof. Oak's intern who likes to delude young Trainer's into thinking he is an actual professor.

At least, that's my theory. *nerdy glassespush*

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Just to drop a small hint, Professor Elm was originally in Gold/Silver/Crystal as the person who would research one of the first eggs to be found. But since FR/LG retroactively added eggs, they had to change the plot involving him, since in HeartGold/SoulSilver, eggs definitely existed. They obviously didn't try very hard to fix that plothole, since that part of the plot in HG/SS is rather awkward-sounding.

I look at HG/SS as if it took place back when G/S/C did. On the pokémon timeline.

So it would have been ok to keep the original dialogue... if they hadn't added eggs to FR/LG, perhaps.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    Just to drop a small hint, Professor Elm was originally in Gold/Silver/Crystal as the person who would research one of the first eggs to be found. But since FR/LG retroactively added eggs, they had to change the plot involving him... They obviously didn't try very hard to fix that plothole, since that part of the plot in HG/SS is rather awkward-sounding.

You're right, they didn't try hard enough to fix that. They tried to keep it the same way, instead of updating it.

I look at HG/SS as if it took place back when G/S/C did. On the pokémon timeline.

I think viewing these games that way is what CREATED this problem in the first place. It's what the developers did. These games should NOT BE remakes, in my opinion. They should be more of a "re-vist"

See, we had G/S/C and it centered around certain regions. But the other regions in the pokemon world existed too and they progressed. We didn't hear about G/S/C for a long time after that. But did Johto just exist in some kind of
    vacuum, it's own little world? No. It would've been in the background, learning about new things (like eggs) and upgrading technology wise.

The hardest thing, actually, would be to upgrade the tech. But HG/SS has show us that they DID upgrade their tech. They got an amazing Global Trading Center that could NOT have existed in the original game's timeline without throwing off the timeline of the other games which had the GTC first!

So for them to have gotten great, new tech without LEARNING about things like eggs is LUDICROUS to me. Knowledge is basically free and it spreads rapidly. They have TVs and reporters and a radio tower and apparently the internet! Come on, they would know about everything that we all know about the pokemon world, even the things they don't have in their region. (like pokemon contests) Because they HAVEN'T existed in a vacuum.

I like the new features, like the GTC. I'd hate for them to be left out. But I am disappointed that the developers only went halfway with it. If they wanted to make it a real remake then it should've been exactly the same game with better graphics--that way it COULD replace G/S/C on the timeline without messing things up. But since they chose to update PARTS of the game, they should've gone all out by changing the whole story.

...Don'tcha think?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Elm isn't an idiot.

He could instantly tell Notchi (my Notch-Eared Pichu) had travelled through time, without me even telling him than old man told me that.

He also has a brilliant memory. He remembered all that stuff Oak said about Celebi and Time Travel off by heart? He's brilliant.

Whoever mocked Birch, remember this: he gives you a pokemon! show him some love.
    Also, by the appearance of it (although in Emerald it's worse, Zigzagoon isn't threatening, Poochyena is sort of threatening) that he left his bag to wander into the grass exploring, and got jumped. Who knows, it may have clawed his back for all we know?!

Anyway, Togepi is meant to be one of the first eggs found. The Kimono Girl probably just threw Extrasensory in for a nice surprise...maybe Mr. Pokemon had liked her Noctowl and Togetic?(I'm sure she must have Togetic).

And, do you understand how eggs are formed, guys? Any of you? Other than Arceus being able to make one if enough Unown surround him? And the Dialga/Palkia/Giratina egg isn't normal, it has a soft shell going by the image, and is just a vessel to transport a deity from wherever it is he stuck it when he was bored.

I don't see Pikachus with breasts or (*what you see when Bart is naked in the Simpsons Movie*) running around Yellow and Viridian Forests, do you?

Give him some lovin'

Rowan's the failure if you ask me. But he's not really a failure, he just screws up in that he doesn't appear to have family. So I feel sorry for him.

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
  • Elm isn't an idiot.

He could instantly tell Notchi (my Notch-Eared Pichu) had travelled through time, without me even telling him than old man told me that.

He also has a brilliant memory. He remembered all that stuff Oak said about Celebi and Time Travel off by heart? He's brilliant.

Whoever mocked Birch, remember this: he gives you a pokemon! show him some love.
    Also, by the appearance of it (although in Emerald it's worse, Zigzagoon isn't threatening, Poochyena is sort of threatening) that he left his bag to wander into the grass exploring, and got jumped. Who knows, it may have clawed his back for all we know?!

Anyway, Togepi is meant to be one of the first eggs found. The Kimono Girl probably just threw Extrasensory in for a nice surprise...maybe Mr. Pokemon had liked her Noctowl and Togetic?(I'm sure she must have Togetic).

And, do you understand how eggs are formed, guys? Any of you? Other than Arceus being able to make one if enough Unown surround him? And the Dialga/Palkia/Giratina egg isn't normal, it has a soft shell going by the image, and is just a vessel to transport a deity from wherever it is he stuck it when he was bored.

I don't see Pikachus with breasts or (*what you see when Bart is naked in the Simpsons Movie*) running around Yellow and Viridian Forests, do you?

Give him some lovin'

Rowan's the failure if you ask me. But he's not really a failure, he just screws up in that he doesn't appear to have family. So I feel sorry for him.

I think it's beneficial to be a professor without a family. Professor Oak has grandchildren and still asks you his grandson's name.

Years
  • Lol.

True.

If anything, Prof. Oak's an old duffer (Although he doesn't think it's odd Blue/Green doesn't have any parents around? Maybe they're dead or something...).

But I suppose lack of family means Prof. Rowan will be able to dedicate more time for research (and perve on Dawn/Lucas, xD)

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • That brings into question whether they ever thought about putting the professors labs in a more accessible place instead of a town no one's heard of and has a total of like 4 inhabitants.
    Ok i just called prof elm right now
    elm: there are so many different ways that pokemon evolve aren't there!?

me: bill nye the science guy would make a better professor than you

elm: Certain pokemon don't even evolve unless they meet certain conditions first!

me: this explains why your aid's daughter still has a marrill -.-

elm: How do i end a call again... do i press this but- click....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back