• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[EM] Levels Above 100

BluRose

blu rass
Years
  • i can see the trailers now...
    "Giving new meaning to INSANE level curve!
    With the level capped at 250, you have to grind 30 WHOLE LEVELS per Gym!! You need to be Level 100 BY THE FOURTH GYM--at the LEAST!
    Isn't that just GREAT?
    We have an estimated play time of about 200 HOURS! We didn't want to go through this terrible thing, though, so good luck to you, compadre.
    A reminder that the highest level wild Pokémon will ever achieve is 60--in the post game, of course. 45 in the main story."

this is nice~ will help some people out with their multi-regional dream games and such, will be interesting to see what comes of this...

EDIT: not bashing, just foretelling what will likely happen with it ahaha

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
  • Hello.
    As the title says, this code expands the level limit to 255. That goes for both AI(or wild) and player Pokemon.
    How to install:
    Spoiler:

Screenshots:
    Spoiler:

Notes:
    - four-digit HP, Sp.Atk, Sp.Def and SPD stats aren't correctly disapled
    - I gave Erratic group a new formula past lv. 100 due to it being made with only 100 levels in mind
    - In the bytereplacement file you can specify the max lvl a player's pokemon can grow to. Set to 255 as default.
    - Keep in mind the damage formula favours the attacking stats at higher levels.
    - If you find a bug, please report it.

Hope it gives birth to new difficulty hacks. {XD}

Dizzy you need to learn how to use the screenshot function on VBA hahahaha!

On a serious note, that's great work. That being said though, have you rejigged the exp formula a bit? Because I imagine grinding on exp from 100 - 150 would be ridiculously hard. So I think Blurose has a good point about how games will resort to ridiculous grinding as a form of difficulty instead of say using EVs and IVs with trainer pokemon.

BluRose

blu rass
    Years
  • Dizzy you need to learn how to use the screenshot function on VBA hahahaha!

On a serious note, that's great work. That being said though, have you rejigged the exp formula a bit? Because I imagine grinding on exp from 100 - 150 would be ridiculously hard. So I think Blurose has a good point about how games will resort to ridiculous grinding as a form of difficulty instead of say using EVs and IVs with trainer pokemon.
    well, it really shouldn't be much of a problem as long as the wild/trainer level curve matches/is a little below expected level curve
    the only reason training to lvl 100 is semi-considered a feat at all is because the max exp-giving level found in any game is like 80-something from red's pikachu in hgss, with wilds always capping at like 50-60 in victory road/post-game exclusive areas. if higher levels were available, lvl 100 would be easier
    nevertheless, i see this being abused XD

Years
  • Dizzy you need to learn how to use the screenshot function on VBA hahahaha!

LOL, I'm a moron.

Why not both? :D And yeah, grinding is not gonna be fun, exp required at levels above 150 is ridiculously huge.

well, it really shouldn't be much of a problem as long as the wild/trainer level curve matches/is a little below expected level curve
    the only reason training to lvl 100 is semi-considered a feat at all is because the max exp-giving level found in any game is like 80-something from red's pikachu in hgss, with wilds always capping at like 50-60 in victory road/post-game exclusive areas. if higher levels were available, lvl 100 would be easier
    nevertheless, i see this being abused XD

I actually want to see it being abused. Can't wait for first hack with Pokemon on 100 lvl in FOURTH GYM XD.

For this patch, shouldn't there be a rewrite of the base EXP system to go above 255?

It's not a patch, please don't use that word, patches are cancer.
    Maybe there should, my only intention was to enable going above level 100. The rest, I entrust to a hacker. Though, I may come up with something if it'll be wanted. :P

Years
  • Whoa~who will be able to attempt to make soo big hack....I guess gamefreak could also could something like this in future,and you really made this feature earlier I guess so...
    anyway,its really fancy to know something like this.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I have been waiting years for this!
    Is it possible this can be retooled for FireRed?

Years
  • okay another question then what if i patch it to the emerald 650 patch or a similar patch will it overwrite the new moves and abilities that exist in that hack?

Not likely. But if there will be a problem, contact me and I'll see what I can do.

Years
  • Not likely. But if there will be a problem, contact me and I'll see what I can do.

So I patched the 650 patch and installed your battle engine and level 255 code.
    I´m facing a problem, that when I make wild Pokemon above level 100, the game freezes.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I've managed to find and change (with a little help from Dizzy) most of the offsets for 'bytereplacements' and 'hooks' to work with FireRed, as well as 'expbarupdate.s' and 'pokemonmake.s' in the src folder.

Unfortunately I won't be able to continue working on this, so I'm leaving it as a resource for anyone who would like to continue it. You'll know which offsets I have changed because they will be appended with #Firered.

Attachments

• FR-LVL-EXT-Master.zip
      1.8 KB · Views: 27
    Last edited:
    Years
  • Is there a way that I could use this but change the level limit as the game progresses? Say could I do it so that the max level for the player is badges * 40. (Just an example, I would want to do something different, but kinda like that)

Bonnox

Time (wasting) Lord
    Years
  • pokegods and glitch confirmed! haha great work!
    Sorry not to post anything which add information (but it's complete, how could I?), but I wanted to ask you: did you have to replace a lot of stock's function? is it doable on ruby? thanks

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2021
    I didn't get a pokemon location file when I downloaded the game, actually didn't get any extra files at all. Can someone upload the files??

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I apologize for the bump, but how hasn't this gotten more attention? And I see talk about expanding the level cap further than 255?!?! I assume you'd need to do some serious changes to the code for that one correct?

Back