• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: [EM] Safe, fast and dynamic Pokemon Expansion

Years
This is from one of the emerald animation threads. So that means that we can't use 2 frame animations on expanded pokemon. Is there any way to change this?

These threads are years old, some stuff was not fully known yet. Now we have the game's source code, things like these are pretty simple. Check out my Pokemon Expansion in my signature, it has gen4 and some gen5 mons that animate with two frames(other mons don't because there is no sprite art done for them :P)

Supercookie07

uhhhhhhh
Years
These threads are years old, some stuff was not fully known yet. Now we have the game's source code, things like these are pretty simple. Check out my Pokemon Expansion in my signature, it has gen4 and some gen5 mons that animate with two frames(other mons don't because there is no sprite art done for them :P)

But could you maybe update this tool for people who want to only include certain pokemon like no gen 5 mons, or people who want to add brand new mons all together? Or make a new pokemon expansion tool all together?

Last edited:
Years
But could you maybe update this tool for people who want to only include certain pokemon like no gen 5 mons, or people who want to add brand new mons all together? Or make a new pokemon expansion tool all together?

I don't really understand what you're asking for here. Pokemon expansion is pretty simple to do in decomps, just a matter of changing a couple of defines here and there. If people want to include only a handful of new mons, then they either do it themselves or a resource that has all but don't use ones they don't want to.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 8, 2019
Is there an actual guide to doing so then cause I haven't really seen any solid direction for someone who has no idea how to modify things with a decomp. The Emerald expander is suppose to be fairly bug free and i manged to get bugs because i don't know what i'm doing.

Years
While compiling I got a missing dll error, libwinpthread-1. It isn't in the git and I tried reinstalling python 3.7.3 a couple times to check so I'm not sure where it's originated, any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

EDIT: Found the issue, I installed a limited version of devkitARM that didn't include the dll file while doing something else.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
This method doesn't seem to work to me.

It correctly expands the number of Pokedex entries (and Pokemons as well) in PGE, and in PGE they can be normally modified for everything.
Anyway, any Pokemon in Pokedex that exceeds the 386 doesn't appear in in-game Dex.

I've tried with a new game with a clean Rom, enabling National Dex with a script, and also with a .sav with an already enabled National Dex. In both cases, it doesn't show more than Deoxys.
What's the issue?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 11, 2022
Same issue here.
No new Dex entry appears after obtaining a new Pokemon. I didn't change anything in Python files downloaded on Github and I used a clean rom. to patch, correctly following the instructions, and it doesn't work at all.
Also thi method makes the Pokemon cries bugged for all Gen III, after the patch the cries are not listen anymore.
Please change the title of this topic. This method is Unsafe and Not dynamic.
People shouldn't use it.

Li Yun

"Does the truth exist or is it all a lie and the w
Years
This method doesn't seem to work to me.

It correctly expands the number of Pokedex entries (and Pokemons as well) in PGE, and in PGE they can be normally modified for everything.
Anyway, any Pokemon in Pokedex that exceeds the 386 doesn't appear in in-game Dex.

I've tried with a new game with a clean Rom, enabling National Dex with a script, and also with a .sav with an already enabled National Dex. In both cases, it doesn't show more than Deoxys.
What's the issue?

Same issue here.
No new Dex entry appears after obtaining a new Pokemon. I didn't change anything in Python files downloaded on Github and I used a clean rom. to patch, correctly following the instructions, and it doesn't work at all.
Also thi method makes the Pokemon cries bugged for all Gen III, after the patch the cries are not listen anymore.
Please change the title of this topic. This method is Unsafe and Not dynamic.
People shouldn't use it.

In the PGE, go to the circled area and assign a dex number to the Pokémon. By doing this, it will be registered correctly in the Pokédex. My Rom Base (in my signature) is proof that this segment is dynamic and functional. As for the cries, your table is expanded, so you'll have to adjust the indexes via HxD or through some other hexadecimal editor of your choice.
Example:
unknown.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 11, 2022
I repeat: it doesn't work.
Changing the dex number in pge doesn't change nothing, the patch do it itself anyway. In game, no new pokeentry appears after a catch or evolution.
Here I've found only fake guides. Farewell.

Years
  • Seen today
@ElvisDorian

Binary hacking Pokemon Emerald is practically not really a thing. Hacking Emerald is generally with the decompilation projects (pokeemerald), in which you edit the source directly instead of hex editing already compiled code. Nevertheless, as far as I know, this is one of the few (relatively) solid resources for binary hacking Emerald.

As a new member a bit more humbleness would be appropriate. I don't think it's yours to decide whether people should use this resource or not, if you barely have any clue what you're doing.

Li Yun

Years
I repeat: it doesn't work.
Changing the dex number in pge doesn't change nothing, the patch do it itself anyway. In game, no new pokeentry appears after a catch or evolution.
Here I've found only fake guides. Farewell.

You most likely did something wrong during setup.
This Dynamic expansion works Perfectly.
My base rom is an example.
Want other examples?
Theta Emerald, Hyper Emerald, Flora Sky Rebirth, etc.
All these 3 rom hacks have expanded Pokémon thanks to this Dynamic Expansion available in this post.
Review all the settings you made and compile again.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 11, 2022
probably you enjoy teasing others, unfortunately for you it'is clear that you simply don't know what to answer to solve these bugs

I have ALREADY followed all the github directions:
python 3.5 installed with add to path checked
the whole devkitpro installed to be sure, not only devkitarm
set the expansion.py file as explained: free space at f60000 as it is in rom. true was indicated at the build code, 335 instead of the X in new pokes as it is written in the file itself. no other setting of that file have to be changed, unless the tutorial on github is incomplete. i've tried both true and false at clear repoint data to be sure also
renamed rom.gba and put in same folder
cause build code is true, as shown in tutorial, just executed python scripts//expansion.py in command prompt
let it complete all with no errors
generated new rom and ini for PGE
used it to set evolutions to test in game, in PGE all is shown as it could work perfectly

then, ingame:

NOT.
WORKING.

inserting true at clear repoint data, dex glitches and become completely empty and doesn't show anything. if dex doesn't glitch this way inserting false at clear repoint data, it doesn't show any new entry in game

so or the tutorial is wrong, or more likely is the system that is bugged, and who expanded dex used other ways not really showed here
stop defend this without effective arguments

Years
  • Seen today
@ElvisDorian

What is a more convincing argument that this resource has been put to good use, other than actually naming several (completed) ROM hacks that already made use of this (like Li Yun does)? I can't think of any.

It's really more likely that you made a mistake during set-up. Although you don't seem like you want to hear that...

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 11, 2022
already explained in previous post my setup following the github guide
still no one explained in previous posts where my setup is wrong
i'll wait

Li Yun

Years
already explained in previous post my setup following the github guide
still no one explained in previous posts where my setup is wrong
i'll wait

What version of devkitpro is currently installed on your windows? As this dynamic expansion is old, errors will occur during compilation
of this segment if your devkit, or more precisely, if the files in the folder C:\devkitPro\devkitARM are the most current.
For best compatibility, you should use an older version of the devkitARM folder.
If I don't have an older version of the devkitARM folder, I can share the download link.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Dec 11, 2022
Last version on github, 3.0.3
On guide there's no indication about the version to use, except about python... if this is the reason about possible bugs, it could be better to update the page and also tools links
Anyway I'll try with an older version, depends which is needed

Li Yun

Years
Last version on github, 3.0.3
On guide there's no indication about the version to use, except about python... if this is the reason about possible bugs, it could be better to update the page and also tools links
Anyway I'll try with an older version, depends which is needed

Go to the devkitpro folder and delete the Devkitarm folder, back it up if you feel more comfortable.
Then download the file from the link below.
After downloading, extract the file into the devkitpro folder.
At the end of extraction a new folder "devkitarm" will appear.
After that, compile this segment again in the rom and check if the error persists.
I think it will solve your problem.

The post is old, so it hasn't been edited to add new information for a long time, so it's normal that it doesn't have information about the correct version of the devkit, but I vaguely remember that Chacha Dinosaur mentions about the correct version of the devkit, only I don't know if it was in this post, in the comments or elsewhere.
Anyway, good luck compiling and hope this solves your problem.
Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NMUpInTjq9fqLSpf4IzKIhr2YfN8aGVz/view?usp=sharing

Jakob99

Worlds greatest trainer.
Years
probably you enjoy teasing others, unfortunately for you it'is clear that you simply don't know what to answer to solve these bugs

I have ALREADY followed all the github directions:
python 3.5 installed with add to path checked
the whole devkitpro installed to be sure, not only devkitarm
set the expansion.py file as explained: free space at f60000 as it is in rom. true was indicated at the build code, 335 instead of the X in new pokes as it is written in the file itself. no other setting of that file have to be changed, unless the tutorial on github is incomplete. i've tried both true and false at clear repoint data to be sure also
renamed rom.gba and put in same folder
cause build code is true, as shown in tutorial, just executed python scripts//expansion.py in command prompt
let it complete all with no errors
generated new rom and ini for PGE
used it to set evolutions to test in game, in PGE all is shown as it could work perfectly

then, ingame:

NOT.
WORKING.

inserting true at clear repoint data, dex glitches and become completely empty and doesn't show anything. if dex doesn't glitch this way inserting false at clear repoint data, it doesn't show any new entry in game

so or the tutorial is wrong, or more likely is the system that is bugged, and who expanded dex used other ways not really showed here
stop defend this without effective arguments

I've used this tool in the past and I've not had any issues so far. Going to use it on a clean Emerald Rom ripped straight from the GBA cart and will report back how it goes. Anyways, please ensure you have the following setup:

Python 3.5: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-350/ Grab it here and ensure Add to path is checked when setting it up, otherwise you have to add it manually through the Environment Variables through the Advanced system settings accessed most commonly by right clicking Computer and clicking Properties (Windows 10 and earlier). If you aren't sure whether it is added to path, just uninstall it and reinstall it ensuring Add to path is checkmarked.

DevkitPro: https://github.com/devkitPro/installer/releases/tag/v3.0.3 Grab Devkitpro from here and install it. Ensure all consoles (such as GBA, Switch, Wii, etc are checked)

DevkitArmv45: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5o96uiwk86s95e2/devkitARM_r45.zip Once you have set it up, download this and then navigate to C:\devkitpro and find the DevkitArm folder. Delete it and replace it with the DevkitArm folder from the zip.

For the Emerald rom, any should work, but I highly recommend an Emerald Rom ripped straight from the cartridge. Doing this required an R4 card with GBA Backup Tool loaded on it along with an oldschool DS (Pre-DSI) with GBA slot. Pop in the R4 cart and Emerald cart, load up the GBA Backup Tool and find the option to create the GBA file (usually New GBA File Create or something like that). Let it create and then shut down when done. Pop the R4 SD into the computer and copy the rom file out of the GBA Backup folder (not GBA Backup Tool as that contains the files needed for the app itself to work. GBA Backup is where all your roms and saves get stored).

I hope these help with your problem.

Back