• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

End Of The World???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Ok I was watching the History Channel today,
    And I saw that they predicted the end of the world.
    Not just in years but the exact date.
    The supposed Apocalypse is dated at December, 21 2012.
    Kinda soon don'tcha think?
    I really don't want to die that soon do you?
    Anyways The story is that some Oracles along with the Mayan Calander,
    Predicted many things that have come true.
    Such as: Katrina, That Huge Tsunami, The Twin Towers Being Bombed ect.
    Now they predicted the end of the world.
    What is supposed to happen is: The Sun, The Earth, And The Milkey Way,
    Are supposed to line up,
    And a newley discovered Black Hole in the Milkey Way,
    Is supposed to Shift the Earth in about a 45 degree angle.
    It is supposed to trigger many Huge Earthquakes.
    So do you belive it?
    NO Religious Argument Please!!!!!

B-Baller

My ballin' is br00tal
    Years
    No I don't believe it. People have predicted different dates for the end of the world through the centuries and have all been wrong. What makes this one different?

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I don't believe it. Many people predicted the end of the world to be 2000, others say last year, some say this year. I believe this is all fake. According to the Scientific theories the world is not supposed to end until billions of years from now.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    thats just the day the mayan calander ends, the calander is the most accurate one known so people think the mayans knew the world ended that day, my own opinion on that is i think they figured they would be gone by then and just stopped making it

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    Eh, I heard about the Mayan calendar predicting the end of the world around this time....never heard about a black hole that will shift our rotation o.0
    I know for a fact that there was a large meteor that was to hit us in 2010 that got diverted in 2004, but otherwise, yeah....we'll be around until global warming gets us o:

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Yeah I didn't think so.
    I talked with my father,
    And he said he's heard them say that over 20 times.
    I sure hope they're wrong!
    One thing is weird though.
    Princeton Has been doing studies on the Shift of Rotation thingo,
    And they have proof that it has happened before.
    But we survived it back then,
    So why can't we survive it now?
    Also they predicted a mild Nuclear war in 08-09.
    I believe that might be true seeing as almost all countries have Nuclear Weapons.
    Please give your thoughts on this matter.

Chibaymega12

Enemies of the Leaf Beware!
    Years
    first of all, when the Mayans lived hundreds of years ago, no one knew of black holes, and so on. Second of all, the only star close enough to effect us in the whole of the universe is the sun, and is a relatively new star, if you compare it to all the others. Scientists say the soonest it will burn out and create a black hole is two hundred thousand years from now, and thats at the soonest. You've got to remember that stars are burnt out and created every day, but none of them effect us right? And thats the only way black holes are truly created. No worries, secientifically, we'll be long gone before the end of the world. Of course, religiously, i wouldn't no.
    Also, i heard it said taht the world was supposed to end in 1796, 1800, 1802, 1937, the ever popular midnight of 2000, and the one that was most believed 6/06/06. Nope, the mayans had things on there calander everyday that was bad, and when bad things like Katrina and 9/11, it makes it believable when in reality more things don't happen than do, but no worries kid, when the world does end, i'm sure everyone that's living now will be long, long gone

Nuclear war... Actually, the only countries that have enough to do harm to the whole world is us and i think russia when they used to be the Soviet Union. Russia is a moral country, and the only way we'd launch any would be if Hilary Clinton got into office and decided that the U.S. should be the only living country, which is possible(lol). We hear talk of Korea having them, the reality in that is that they don't have the money or weaponry to get them any where, but i could see them blowing themselves up. Some asian countries like china have them, but not enough to do much harm, and they'd be afraid we'd retaliate. And while it is true that most have them, most of them don't have enough to do anything as i've stated before. Nope, i see a 1.5% chance in a nuclear war ending the world.

And dude, you shouldnt be afraid of dying, don't live out every day of your life in fear of dying, and keep yourself up so you know when it's gonna come. If it comes it comes, its the natural circle of life. I used to lie awake at night waiting for my death to come, and i'd know when it would happen, and i was coward about everything i did, because i was afraid of dying. That was about a year ago, and now i realise i wasted my time with that. You never know when your death is gonna come, there's no way of knowing, but it's best not to fear it.

Last edited:

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Basically, we're all too afraid to launch a nuclear war. By the time everyone is "ballsy" enough to randomly strike, I'll be long dead, luckily. We'll all be.

We can't get hung up bout the end of the world. It's all hoo-haa for now. As said, we'll be longg gone before we get eaten by a black hole, the sun implodes, we drift off course, we go into an ice age due to global warming (or nuclear winter), etc.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Basically, we're all too afraid to launch a nuclear war. By the time everyone is "ballsy" enough to randomly strike, I'll be long dead, luckily. We'll all be.

We can't get hung up bout the end of the world. It's all hoo-haa for now. As said, we'll be longg gone before we get eaten by a black hole, the sun implodes, we drift off course, we go into an ice age due to global warming (or nuclear winter), etc.

True very true.

Yeah I guess so.
    If It's not on the news in about 3 years then we'll all be fine.
    I figured it was just one of those stupid things.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    The only valid thing that might have proof for this end of the world deal would be global warming. That's the only thing that I see really COULD happen in our lifetimes...and I'm not too worried about getting hit by a hurricane the size of Africa, because whatever happens will happen, and that's that. I really doubt that'll happen any time soon though anyways.

The Mayans COULD be right, but I'm not going to sit here counting down the days. As others mentioned, many of these predictions have been incorrect, so yeah.

Chibaymega12

Enemies of the Leaf Beware!
    Years
    yeah, i think global warming is the only possibility of killing us, but not the end of the world. And i still think that's a long way off, maybe a hundred years, if not longer

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Nope, I can't say I believe it. All of those "predictions" are usually really vague, and every time something bad happens that could be interpreted as the prophecy somebody will say that it was the so-and-so prophecy that came true. I mean, there's always a chance that it will happen on that date I suppose, but I don't think it's going to happen like that.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Lol. No, just no.

Predictions? I stopped even listening to them when I heard about that famous guy that predicted huricanes would come and destroy the world the day after his prediction. They didn't.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I've never been one to believe in predictions, and especially not about the end of the world. Though due to the uncanny accuracy of the Mayan calender system, a part of me thinks that something bad will happen on that day. I don't think I believe it's going to be the end of the world just because that's the final day in their calender though.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I wonder why so many Mayan calender believers don't realize that maybe the guy who was chiseling it just got tired?

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    People say that the world is potenitally doomed every decade according to the Mayan Calander... its a load of BS.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    People say that the world is potenitally doomed every decade according to the Mayan Calander... its a load of BS.
    I can't recall anyone ever claiming an end to the world aside from 2012 thanks to the calender. In fact, I've heard the 2012 date since I was young. (why the schools thought that was appropriate for third graders, I will never know)

yellowparrot

Advanced Trainer
    Years
    A while back, I learned from an anonymous source that in the 2040's, Bin Laden's henchmen are going to bomb Jerusalem, and there will be a massive nuclear war on proportions that have never been encountered before. Here are some more predictions that I picked up:
    Los Angeles Earthquake - 2010
    Major Oil Crisis - 2016

EDIT: Also, the history channel has a series called Mega Distasters, which may relate to this apocalypse theory(in no way am I saying this is true!). Here's a few of the bigger one's.
    Asteroid Apocalypse
    Mega Freeze
    Yellowstone Eruption
    Mega Tsunami

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I can't recall anyone ever claiming an end to the world aside from 2012 thanks to the calender. In fact, I've heard the 2012 date since I was young. (why the schools thought that was appropriate for third graders, I will never know)

Apparently on the text of a carved calander, certain markings meant that their Gods would cause a catastrophe (or it was their birthdate)- and something would happen, which is why many assume that it predicted some modern day traumas. These were repeated every 7200 days or something.
    It's worth pointing out that there were A LOT of markings and for the majority, nothing ever happened. (Of course people tend to ignore this).

The 'end of the cycle' was in fact decided by an American 'New Age Spiritualist' during the 1980s; Jose Arguelles and his work is often unsupported by Mayan Scholars or historical evidence. More info.

Anyway I look forward to 21 December 2012, it'll be another normal day... and after the hype, the public will be slightly more skeptical about supstitions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back