• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

English vs Japanese?

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Personally, I prefer Japanese subbed Anime rather then English Anime. The English versions usually have terrible voice actors (Though sometimes it's the other way around, like in the Dragonball series), and the Japanese versions usually have a lot less censored parts, or are fully uncensored.

Plus, I've noticed that the English sub in Japanese Anime is usually a lot better translated then the text spoken in English versions....

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I'd prefer English dub if at all possible. I've never encountered a dubbed anime where I found the English voices as unbearable as some people would have you believe. XD

Years
    I usually prefer Japanese over English. I don't mind subtitles, as I can quickly read them and then see what's going on. The reason why, though, is because I usually get a much better feeling of emotion. To me, it seems that the Japanese voice actors put forth more effort than the English ones do. That's not to say they don't put forth any, though.

An example of this is Paprika. I watched both the Japanese version and the English version today, as a sort of comparison. I genuinely felt more emotion near the climax in the Japanese version than I did in the English version.

Although I do prefer English in some instances, mainly because the voices sound better to me. Two examples are Spirited Away and Paranoia Agent.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Every anime I've watched has been dubbed in English. I, for one, prefer some anime to be dubbed, and others to be subbed, especially ones with comedy in them, as comedy only works if the viewer understands the language in which the comedy is portrayed. I watched an episode of Bleach in English and Japanese, and I preferred the English episode over the Japanese one because of the translation of the subtitles. Maybe if I understood Japanese, I would understand the anime much better.

KejiBebi

aishiteru
    Years
    The only English dubbed anime's I've watched were Chobits, Elfen Lied, Death Note, and Code Geass. Everything else was in Japanese, I love the Japanese voices and I love reading and watching something at the same time. :3
    (the english ones I've watched are of course excluding Pokemon, Digimon..etc)

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I prefer watching everything in Japanese with English subtitles. In most cases I will watch a English dub if the Japanese version isn't good enough. I will still watch it both ways it just one is better than the other.

Like a few titles I can name that has a great English dub: FMA, Inuyasha, Hana Yori Dango, Dragonball Z, Pokemon, Fruits Basket, etc.

Those I won't mind watching them in English first. I will watch them in Japanese sometimes, but for the most part it is in English.

The other titles I will watch them in Japanese with subtitles.

MegaSlowBro.

泣かないで。
    Years
    I usually watch Japanese dubs because I prefer it in its original language. However, I'll tolerate English dubs only when I really want to watch that specific episode or if I can't find it any other way. But some English dubs are really good, you just need to look for them. xD Like Gurren Lagann or The Dragon Ball series.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    I use english dubs, but I never watch a translation or something I rather watch it in japanesse ithout dubs

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    Idon't know... one japanese dub i can't stand is DBZ, I really like Inu Yasha japanese dubbed the voices and the theme song are bothe better, I really like the voice acting for Spike on Cowboy Bebop though.

Last edited:

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    After Watching both Yu-Gi-Oh, Keroro Gunso and Fruits Basket in both, I would have to say I like to watch the japanese dubs with english subs. It fits more than the eng dubs do.

Chikorita1992

I love Chikorita ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2011
    I prefer to watch anime in Japanese with English subtitles. The Japanese voice actors are amazing.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Case-by-case.

If the dub is good, I'll use it as a fallback if I can't find the episode in Japanese (or, in some cases, if the Japanese original makes my EARS BLEED). However, I typically default to subs.

Illustration

ああああああああ
    Years
    Even though I'd rather hear the original voice actors of the anime, I trust the translation in official English dubs more than I trust the translation in English fansubs.

English dubs take the victory, for me.

HugSomebody

Trust me!~
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    I usually watch the first episode in both the Japanese and the English, and then pick accordingly.

Some English dubs are translated nicely, like Yu Yu Hakusho. =] And I prefer English dubs so I can watch the anime instead of having to read the subs and watch at the same time, but it just depends case by case, like Shanghai Alice said.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Even though I'd rather hear the original voice actors of the anime, I trust the translation in official English dubs more than I trust the translation in English fansubs.

Not to start an argument...

Okay, yeah, I'm in the mood to fight. Put 'em up.

However, to get around that problem, start sticking to circles. For example, I've watched an a.f.k. anime or two, and know that they are fairly good quality.

That's why circles "stamp" their work.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years

Then you are misinformed. Fansubbers, at least, don't stray far from the original. Localizations often take too many liberties, and you sometimes end up with something like the catastrophe my favorite series got stuck with. ;_;

Years
    Then you are misinformed. Fansubbers, at least, don't stray far from the original. Localizations often take too many liberties, and you sometimes end up with something like the catastrophe my favorite series got stuck with. ;_;
    Surely such a catastrophe as Cardcaptors hasn't happened in recent years. I mean, I'm not a fan of dubs and don't pay attention to them, but I can't imagine that fans would accept theirs shows if they were that heavily edited. Not anymore.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Surely such a catastrophe as Cardcaptors hasn't happened in recent years. I mean, I'm not a fan of dubs and don't pay attention to them, but I can't imagine that fans would accept theirs shows if they were that heavily edited. Not anymore.
    Maybe not that bad, but certainly dubs these days have been taking too many liberties. And I have been seeing an increasing apathy about this.

Back