• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Eon Chronicles

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Lol at 13 chapters. It did take a while, didn't it? Ah well. The adventure did start slightly beforehand (what with the Murkrows and all), but most people would probably consider this to be the "starting point."

In other news, I finished a chapter the other day, and it was something around 3000 words. It's by FAR my best chapter to date, but you'll have to wait a bit for it :P

EDIT: As for this chapter blending into the next: it doesn't, to put it bluntly. You'll see why when I post it.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
New chapter. This one is long-ish (four pages in word). Anyways, enjoy, and as always, please comment!

--------

Chapter Fourteen

A Noctowl crooned as the moon rose to its full height, casting dark shadows through the trees onto the silvery snow below. Latias, Latios, Ren, Kairn, and Houndour had been traveling for the entire day and far into the night, following the trail of the Eon Chronicles they had set out to retrieve.

The two dragons floated ahead, weaving between trees as they searched for the Chronicles with their minds. Houndour trotted along with them, his body aglow with fire to keep them warm. The two humans fell behind as weariness took hold, their bodies becoming less and less inclined to obey their minds.

Despite the cold weather, Ren was sweating. Layers of armor and clothing trapped heat inside his body, making him miserable. Kairn fared a bit better; since Ren had the only suit of armor in Griffith's possession, Kairn had less weight to carry, and thus didn't have to work as hard. However, he still felt very tired, and was just about to call for a halt when Ren did it for him.

"I think this is far enough for now, Latias," Ren spoke to his partner. "Let's stop for tonight."

She turned her head to gaze back at him, golden eyes piercing the dark. "We're stopping anyways," she thought to the two humans. "The Chronicles are right here."

Despite their tiredness, Ren and Kairn hurried to catch up to the dragons, and then stopped, looking around. The books were nowhere in sight.

"What do you mean they're here?" Ren asked. "I don't see anything."

"They're here," Latios responded, and then looked down. "Beneath us."

Ren and Kairn followed the feathered creature's stare, their gaze sinking to the snow covered ground. They still saw nothing. They looked at each other, and then looked back at the dragons with confused expressions.

"Buried?" Kairn asked. "You mean they're buried?"

"So it would seem," Latios thought to him. "Although it is rather odd…" he trailed off.

Kairn thought for a moment, and then unsheathed his sword. "The only thing to do is to dig them up, then," he said. "Houndour! Could you clear away this snow?"

The dog-like pokemon nodded, and then intensified the fire playing over its body, becoming a living inferno. The remainder of the group moved back in an involuntary attempt to escape the intense heat. Soon, a wide circle of ground lay exposed and smoking. Houndour moved out of the way as Kairn came forward with his sword to dig at the ground. Ren soon joined the attempt, and then the three pokemon began to help by scooping away dirt with their claws.

"That's fairly pointless," a voice suddenly sounded. Ren and Kairn both stood quickly, swords at the ready. The two dragons floated from their places, eyes flashing in each direction as they searched for the owner of the voice. They did not even try to adopt disguises: they knew they had been seen.

"I'm right here," the voice continued. Each member of the group looked in a new direction, still not seeing anyone. "Here!" the voice said, growing agitated. When the company still could not find the owner of the voice, it grew very angry.

"Are you blind!?" the voice asked loudly. "I'm…right…here," it added with deliberate slowness. A barrel-chested man cloaked completely in black appeared right in the middle of the five friends amidst cries of shock.

"You do see me, yes?" the man said.

Latios, Latias, Ren, Kairn, and Houndour all nodded, gaping.

"Excellent," the man continued sarcastically. "As I was saying, digging won't do you any good. There's a solid metal plate about three feet beneath you. There's no way you can get through. Come along." With that, the man proceeded to walk away at a brisk pace.

The company followed hesitantly after exchanging glances. Then they all began to speak at once. "How did you--" "Where are we--" they started, but the man cut them short. "My name is Eli," he said before rapidly answering the questions the group had tried to ask. "I got so close to you without you noticing because you are all obviously not used to traveling in the dark. If you had been in danger, you would be dead right now." He flashed a stern gaze back at them. "As to where we are going, it is somewhere that we can escape this blasted cold," he finished tersely, continuing to walk.

There was silence as the party followed the mysterious man, not wishing to aggravate his obviously bad mood. They were worried that Eli was going to take them a very long distance, but they were soon relieved when they came to a small lean-to built under a large tree. Eli stooped inside, beckoning them to do the same.

The group crowded under the meager shelter, pressing against each other. This had the effect of making everyone completely uncomfortable. Kairn was about to complain just as Eli reached down and grasped a shining, metal ring seemingly bolted into the ground.

The ring was connected to a large door that led into the earth, which Eli now threw open. An orange glow shone out of the newly-revealed hole, illuminating the inside of the small shelter as a wave of heat emanated from the opening. The five friends looked on as the man swung himself into the doorway and grabbed hold of a ladder that led down a vertical shaft. They then began to follow after the man looked up into their orange-lit faces and beckoned impatiently.

The shaft led into a spacious, perfectly square room. As Ren reached the bottom of the ladder and stood in its center, he noticed that the walls seemed to be uniformly plated with a burnished, orange-colored metal. He made way for the rest of his companions as they came down the ladder, and then watched as Eli made his way to a pokemon standing in one corner of the room.

"This is Torkoal," the man said, patting the creature's head affectionately. The pokemon had orange scales, as well as a shell the color and texture of charred wood. Openings in the shell revealed that it contained something very hot: fire and smoke drifted upwards from Torkoal's back.

The fiery creature turned its head slowly to gaze at the newcomers. It then snorted a puff of white smoke through its nostrils, which the party took as a greeting.

"Torkoal has been with me for a very long time," Eli said. "He keeps the house warm during winter, and helps me drive off intruders." The man looked directly at Kairn and Ren. "I don't like intruders," he said. "However, I'm making an exception just this once. Count yourselves lucky."

Ren and Kairn blanched. Latios and Latias felt extremely uncomfortable; Latias decided that this man had kept his intentions in the dark long enough.

"What do you want?" she asked him through his thoughts. "Why have you brought us here?"

The man seemed unsurprised by her method of communication. "Wait here," he said.

With that, the man disappeared into an adjoining room. He was gone for a very long time. Suddenly, Latias and Latios noticed that the Eon Chronicles seemed to be getting closer. Finally, Eli reappeared, holding two books.

Ren and Kairn looked sidelong at each other, wondering how this man had come across the Chronicles. Ren began to feel suspicious that this was the person that had taught Latios. He looked sidelong at the blue and white dragon floating beside him; however, no recognition showed in the creature's eyes.

Eli walked up to Kairn and handed him the editions of the Chronicles. "These books detail the lives of two pokemon named Latios and Latias," he said. "I assume they are you," he continued, looking from one dragon to the other. They inclined their heads in agreement.

"This is why I brought you here," Eli said. "I noticed your Houndour's flame from a long way off, and came to investigate. That's when I saw Latios and Latias, which these books say will hatch when a great evil is at hand. For this reason, I want to help you in any way I can."

The company visibly relaxed, no longer seeing the strange man as a threat. Eli then opened one of the books in Kairn's hands. "I am a blacksmith by trade," he said, stopping at a certain page, "and this segment of the book details how to make many things, namely weapons and armor. Now: each of these requires the touch of either a Latias or a Latios to function. This armor, for example, is layered in dragon feathers, which allows the wearer to alter his or her appearance and even become invisible, just like a Latias or Latios. Seeing as…" he hesitated, looking at Kairn.

The boy looked back until he realized that the man did not know his name. "Kairn," he said.

Eli nodded and continued. "Seeing as Kairn here does not have armor, I figured I would make some for him. If that's alright with you," he added quickly, glancing at Latios. He had noticed that the dragon owned a set of rather sharp claws, and did not want to make him angry. Plucking feathers was nothing short of excruciating, and he wanted permission first.

"I would do it," Latios thought to him, "if it meant Kairn would be safer."

"Of course" Eli said. "There would be steel plating under the feathers, which would be layered with leather to minimize sound. It would be by far the best armor that could be asked for. The wearer would be as unnoticeable as a ghost."

Latios nodded, convinced, and then steeled his nerves as he waited for Eli to pull feathers from his skin. The blacksmith worked swiftly; Latios felt points of quick, sharp pain for only a few moments as Eli removed one feather after the next. Torkoal worked alongside the man, sealing the wound that each feather left behind with a small jet of flame.

Soon, Eli had collected enough plumage to create the armor. He carefully moved the blue and white pile to a tablecloth before wrapping it inside. "That should be enough," he said. Then he turned to Latias. "Would you like me to add some of your feathers to his armor?" he asked, inclining his head towards Ren.

"Of course," she thought back to him. "His name is Ren, by the way."

"Ren," Eli muttered to himself, repeating the procedure he had used on Latios with Latias. He wrapped the small pile of white and red feathers he had collected in another tablecloth, and set it alongside the first. "Good," he said. "I'll start on the armor tomorrow. For now, though, you all look tired. Try to get some sleep."

Eli had no extra beds, so the party lay down on blankets on the floor. Ren stroked Latias' neck as she rested beside him; her thoughts revealed that, despite her outward bravery, she was in pain from having the feathers removed. "You didn't have to do that," he thought to her so as not to wake their companions. "I hate to see you like this…" he trailed off, not knowing what else to say.

His hand strayed too far down her neck and brushed a patch of raw skin. She flinched. Ren gasped and pulled his hand away. "I'm sorry!" he said aloud.

"I'm fine," Latias thought to him soothingly. "It just stings a little. I would rather suffer through this than have you injured; that armor sounds like it's worth it."

Ren relaxed somewhat, although his look of concern did not disappear. "Thank you," he said. "Only...it seems like you're always doing things for me, rather than the other way around. I wish I could do something for you for a change…"

"Rubbing my neck helped," Latias thought to him with a touch of humor. He began anew, being more careful to avoid the reddened areas of exposed skin.

Suddenly he thought to her. "Latias?" he asked. "Do you think that Griffith has told my parents about us being gone yet?"

Latias gingerly turned her head to face him. "Probably," she answered.

"Will they be alright?"

"I'm sure they will be."

"Do you remember your parents?"

The question caught Latias completely off guard. She hesitated, uncertainty emanating from her mind. "I don't think so," she said falteringly. She couldn't remember if her parents had ever spoken with her or not, or if she even had parents for that matter. Ren sat up, looking at her with an expression of shock.

"You don't?" he asked. Latias shook her head.

Ren lay back. No family? He couldn't even conceive what that would be like. If he had never known his parents, or his brother for that matter…

His brother. Ren thought suddenly about Bron, about what he had been like during life. His brother had been strong and brave, always looking out for those around him. Just like…

Latias. Ren looked to the dragon, a new appreciation for her showing on his face. She didn't notice his gaze as he ran his hand over her soft feathers, a silent tear falling to the blanket on which he lay. Eventually, she began to breathe softly, indicating that her discomfort had been replaced with the quiet senselessness of sleep.

"Goodnight," Ren said, wrapping his arms carefully around Latias' neck. He hugged her gently as his mind followed hers into unawareness.

--------

Quick question: does that weird grammatical thing I did near the end work?

Last edited:

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
Quick question: does that weird grammatical thing I did near the end work?

What thing? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

A Noctowl crooned as the moon rose to its full height, casting dark shadows through the trees onto the silvery snow below.

I really liked this line, and it was the first one. XP Very descriptive to me.

"Of course" Eli said.

Comma after "course". Only real thing I saw.

Anyway, I noticed you used "very" an awful lot in this chapter. I mean, it's okay to use it once or twice, but after a while it is boring and better words can replace it, like "extremely" or "incredibly" and other things.

However, I also noticed that Eli has no personality whatsoever. Yeah, he apparently likes to help fight against evil, but that's about it. Give him a personality and make it clear; don't make him a robot. :O Though, the introduction to a new character was nice and I look forward to see other things he does in the story.

Nonetheless, this was a good chapter with great description (as always--don't be too surprised), and some character development for Latias as we learn a little about what she knows/doesn't know about her past. I hope more is revealed eventually.

Waiting for the next chapter, as always. :) Hopefully they'll get some Eon Chronicles now. Roar.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Yeah, about Eli...I did this kind of "thing", for lack of a better word. You'll understand when the next chapter comes around. It has to do with plot flow and atmosphere and stuff. I hope you'll see what I mean.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
And thank you for reading!

Trying to type up a new chapter right about now, which doesn't affect you all because I'm still a few chapters behind on these forums, but it's difficult. I worked on my last chapter EXTREMELY hard, so it's going to be a trick to top it. Fun.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
--------

Chapter Fifteen

Eli awoke in the middle of the night, bathed in a cold sweat. He lay still for a few moments, and then turned his head slowly to either side. Torkoal slept in one corner of the room, the fire in its shell burning low, giving off little light. The group that Eli had invited into his home that night slept on the floor next to him.

The man listened for a few moments to the sounds of breathing coming from around him, and then silently got up and made his way to the adjoining room. No one stirred as he tiptoed past. Once in the next room, Eli shut and locked the door. He then waited in utter darkness for what would happen next.

Two glowing eyes suddenly blinked open before him. They regarded him for a few moments, and then a voice like the howling of the wind reached his ears. "Why did you promise them armor?" the voice said. "It will make them that much harder to kill."

"I had to in order to make them trust me," Eli responded.

He could never quite keep the fear out of his voice while talking to Weavile. The creature had taken him prisoner years ago, forcing him to forge weapons and armor for an unknown purpose. Every day, Weavile would follow the man, concealed in his shadow, directing him to places where supplies would seemingly miraculously appear. Then Eli would carry the supplies back to his house, where Weavile would tell him what to make.

Each night, Weavile would disappear for a few hours, taking Eli's handiwork with it. It would leave behind two Sneasels to keep an eye on the man and make sure he did not escape. The first time Weavile left, Eli did not know this, and had tried to leave. The two creatures waited until he was about a mile from his house before detaching themselves from his shadow and attacking.

Eli had been so injured that he couldn't walk. The Sneasels dragged him back to his house, their hook-shaped claws digging into his flesh. The only reason Eli lived was that the creature's claws froze his body wherever they cut: he was literally held together by ice. Once home, he awaited Weavile's return, which came with even more punishment. Eli still bore scars from that ordeal, which he hid with his cloak. He never tried to escape again. Day after day, he toiled for the vicious pokemon holding him captive, all hope for release slowly fading away.

"It is of little importance, I suppose," Weavile began to speak again. "I could always dispatch of them at night, when they take their armor off for sleep. What matters is that they are here." the creature paused for a few moments. "It is a good thing we had to move such a large load of supplies yesterday, or we may never have seen them. Such luck! To think that I will be able to kill the humans and deliver up Latias and Latios myself! There would be no end to the reward!" Weavile seemed to shudder with delight.

Eli kept his face devoid of emotion, but inside he felt disgust. Weavile had been with him when he found the five friends that now slept in the adjoining room. The pokemon had forced him to interact with them; to trick them into coming with him. He had not wanted to obey, but resistance meant swift punishment.

So here the children were, unaware that death stalked them. Looking back now, Eli felt terrible. He should have disobeyed Weavile, should have resisted and tried to give the children a chance. He may have been killed for it, but it would be better than having the guilt of their deaths on his hands. Now their fate was sealed.

"I must gather more helpers in order to insure the safe capture of the dragons," Weavile was saying. "I will be back in a few days. In the meantime, you will build this armor." The creature paused and leaned in close. The stench of rotting flesh overpowered Eli's senses. "You will say nothing about me while I am gone. If my servants so much as suspect that you intend to tell the children of me, they will silence you without hesitation. Do you understand?" Eli nodded.

"Perfect," Weavile said. The creature closed its eyes, sealing away their deathly glow, and disappeared.

Kairn, Latios, Ren, Latias, and Houndour all woke simultaneously as Torkoal's shell flared to life. "Good morning," Eli said, greeting them cheerfully as they got up from their resting places. "I'm about to start the armor. It may get a bit loud in here, so I'm just warning you. There's breakfast made."

Kairn and Ren seated themselves at the table, while Latias and Latios floated on either side. They began to devour a meal of bread and berry jam hungrily as Eli started to work. The man first held plates of steel in Torkoal's shell until they were red-hot, and then began to pound them into shape on an anvil.

The forging job was so loud that the five friends were obliged to take their feast outside in the snow. Houndour cleared a place for them before they all sat down anew, eating together in silence as they watched the sun rise. Suddenly, Kairn laughed, pointing at Latios. The dragon had eaten so fast that he had gotten more jam on his face than in his mouth.

"You didn't do much better," Latios retorted, grinning slyly through the mess. "Have a look." He then changed his appearance to that of Kairn's, showing him that he was just as covered with the spread. The boy's shocked expression caused Latias and Ren to laugh so hard that their sides began to hurt.

Latios wiped his mouth clean with a fore claw as Houndour attempted to lick Kairn's face. The boy flailed helplessly as the dog-like pokemon clambered all over him, sending his companions into more bouts of laughter. Kairn finally managed to push Houndour away, and then stood scrubbing his face with his sleeve. He grinned.

"It's that funny, eh?" he asked. "Well then, let's see how you like it!" He picked up a jam-slathered slice of bread and tossed it at Ren, smacking him square in the chest. Everything went downhill from there. Ren and Kairn were soon throwing every speck of food they could get their hands on at each other.

The dragons stayed decidedly uninvolved at first, but when Ren tossed a bowl of jam over both of them, they decided to team up. The two Eon pokemon floated back to back, throwing food at the humans, who quickly ran for cover behind the trees. The dragons then separated, Latios going for Ren, Latias chasing after Kairn. The boys were soon routed; they cowered on their knees and held their heads in their hands as they were pelted mercilessly with food.

"Enough! Enough!" Ren shouted, laughing. "You win!" Latias and Latios tossed a few more clawfuls of food for good measure, and then backed off. Ren and Kairn stood, and then looked down at themselves. They were literally covered from head to toe with breadcrumbs and the red, sticky jam.

It was at that moment that Eli came topside. The five friends had been so loud that he could hear them over his smith work. "What's happening up here?" he asked, and then noticed the two boys. He tried to keep his face serious, but a smile spread across his features as he started back down without saying a word. He then nearly fell off of the ladder as he exploded into laughter.

After cleaning themselves using melted snow, the company decided that they would train while Eli worked. Ren sparred with Kairn, teaching him how to use his sword, while Latias flew with Latios, showing him various aerial maneuvers. After a while of this, the two dragons landed, and Ren climbed onto Latias' back. She had grown much larger since their first meeting, and Ren could now easily sit on her back while holding on with his legs.

As he did this, he noticed that Latias' feathers had grown back in overnight. He looked over at Latios, but found that patches of skin still showed through the pokemon's feathers. He wondered why this was for a few moments, but then thought no more of it as he told Kairn to mount up.

"We're going flying today," he said to the other boy. "Go ahead and climb up on Latios like I just did with Latias."

Latios flattened his body to the ground so that Kairn could get onto his back easily, and then patiently waited while the boy did so. Once Kairn was on board, Latios straightened, and then floated a few feet off of the ground. The boy steadied himself and closed his eyes as the dragon began to fly forward at a slow pace.

Ren regarded his friend for a few moments as Latios moved into the distance. Then he bent forward, wrapped an arm around Latias' neck for support, and whispered to her. "Let's go," he said. Latias looked back to find a peculiar gleam in her companion's eyes. Then their minds touched for a moment, and she knew why. "Alright," she thought to him. "Hold on."

Latias began to glow softly as she turned her mind to her feathers, causing them to lay flat against her body. Suddenly, Ren found himself to be enveloped in that same glow, which had the peculiar effect of shutting out the cold air. The light pulsed slightly as Latias floated upwards off of the ground, and then held steady as she began to pick up speed.

The two quickly accelerated, and then angled upwards as they neared Kairn and Latios. Their companions watched with open mouths as they shot into the open sky, and then flinched as a blast of sound washed over them.

--------

This is the second chapter I wrote after coming to these forums; the first, obviously, being Fourteen. Not much to say about this chapter, except there's a lot of stuff happening in a short amount of time. The food fight was fun to do, needless to say, and it's one of my favorite scenes thus far.

Slight heads up: I may change the ages of Ren and Kairn to 13 and 15, respectively. I feel that their current ages (11 and 13) is just a little too young for things they will be doing soon. The reason I say "may" is because I'm waiting for opinions on another site.

In the meantime, I'd like to hear from you all if you think that the age change should happen. Would it fit all that has occured thus far? I think it does, but I'd like to hear some others agree or disagree first.

Last edited:

GalladeIceMan

Friend of Pokemon
Years
I am a big fan of this, I printed it up, took it to school, and skipped lunch time and recess it was so good! I think that you should change it in the 17th chapter. Because if you did it in the 16th, that would mean that Weavile was either slaughtered, or that he hasnt come back yet. That would lose a lot of details. If you did it in the 13-15th chapters, that would have meant that they didnt find any chronicles yet. You could have done that in those chapters, though that would cut out a lot of details.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
That's awesome that you read it at school! I never thought someone would do that. It makes me want to write more!

Anyways, I'm not really sure what you meant after that. Were you asking about the age change? If so, I meant that I would literally revise my descriptions in chapter one so that Ren and Kairn would be older. I wouldn't suddenly say "they're 13 and 15 now and this is what has been happening for 2 years".

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
Years
I've just spent a couple of hours reading all the chapters, and I must admit, I'm hooked on this! hehe. It's got a lot of mystery into it, that's what I like most about it.
I get the feeling that Eli will soon attempt to escape again and warn the children about the danger they face. :P

I noticed that you sometimes write Poke'mon, well if you want to type it correctly (Pokémon), just press: "Alt + 130" You will get "é". It's a very useful shortcut :)

You should definitely make the characters older since all this action is a bit too much for an 11 year old.

Anyway, you've got my support, keep up the good work!

*Goes to rest his brain from all the reading :D:P

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Wow. All at once? I might not even be able to do that lol!

It's nice to have someone around my age reading this. Most of my readers are around 14 or 15, which isn't a bad thing, but it's cool to know I'm reaching a broader audience.

Anyways, more to come in a little less than a week, and the age change is occuring just about...now.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
Sorry. I've been incredibly lazy to review anything and everything, and even now I'm not in the mood to do so, but I will for you anyway. :x yaya.

Anyway, I was kind of suspecting him as a bad guy already, even though you gave absolutely no hints at it (none I remember, anyway). The only thing that didn't seem to be explained was -why- Weavile took Eli as a prisoner in general, and why him? It could have been anyone. I think the history of those two could have been expanded on. Sneasel/Weavile are awesome pokemon, by the way. ;)

Also, you did not describe Weavile in one bit. Sneasel, yeah: just the hook-shaped claws, though. You have to pretend we don't know what these pokemon look like, and describe them.

But, the interaction between the characters with the little food fight and everything was pretty realistic and sweet to read. However, more emotional stuff could have been put in for Eli: what's it like, watching them so happy, when he knows their fate already, secretly?

Andd, I think the ages should be changed. I didn't even realize they were so young. O_o *stupid reader* But, yeah, it should be raised. Ren doesn't act too much like an eleven year old anyway..

"It is of little importance, I suppose," Weavile began to speak again.

This would have worked better if the second part of the sentence was put at the beginning, and then the comma turning into a period, with the second quotation mark removed.

the creature paused for a few moments.

"the" should be capitalized.

Looking forward to the next chapter, as always. I'll try not to procrastinate next time.. xd

txteclipse

The Last
Years
--------

Chapter Sixteen

As Latias began to fly so fast that the ground became a blur beneath her, the sound of the wind howling around Ren grew to a nearly unbearable level. While the light surrounding him kept the chill air away, the shrill noise still came to his ears. He cringed against the pain as he tightened his grip on Latias' neck. The two had never flown this fast before.

Suddenly, a huge explosion rent the air, and then the boy noticed that the wind had stopped. Not only that, but there seemed to be no noise at all. His world had become absolutely silent, and he started to grow frightened. "What's happening?" he tried to ask, but his voice did not come. At this point, his fear mounted. He tried to talk again and again, but his words simply refused to form.

Latias sensed his panic, and then thought-spoke to him, her words coming like a salve to his emotions. "Your voice will not come while we are flying this fast," she said. "I'm not quite sure why, but you can still use your mind to talk to me."

Ren hesitantly thought a few words to Latias, and when she indicated that she had heard, his intensely pounding heart began to slow back down to its normal rate. He exhaled shakily, and then looked around. The world was rushing quietly by at a speed he could not believe. When he tried to focus his eyes on an item of interest, it would flash by before he could do so. The effect nearly made him sick.

Suddenly, Latias began to increase the height of her flight. She rose until the trees below became an indistinguishable, shadowy mass of white and grey. From this vantage point, Ren could see for many miles in every direction. This muted his sense of speed, and he began to feel better as he admired the world below him.

His view was breathtaking. The land in all directions was blanketed in white snow, except where the occasional river or lake would stand out a shining, brilliant blue. Slate-colored clouds drifted by below and to the sides as he and Latias flew in utter silence. Every so often, they would pass straight through one of the insubstantial forms, and Ren would look back to see it twist and contort in their wake. Before them, the clouds formed a sort of half-tunnel that was painted gold by the sun, which hung motionless at the end. The top of the tunnel was open to the bright-blue infinity of the sky above.

Latias and Ren now flew through this tunnel, the dragon's feathers catching the sunlight and taking on the same color as the billowing walls that surrounded them. Ren shaded his eyes with a hand as Latias became so illuminated that he could hardly see. Suddenly, they dropped down through the bottom of the cloud-tunnel and pierced through the other side, leaving a wide hole behind them that allowed sunlight to stream through.

As the two descended towards earth in the golden illumination falling around them, Ren's heart started to race wildly. He began to shout with excitement as Latias pulled out of her dive, wheeling this way and that at incomprehensible speeds. Each time they turned, Latias would tilt to the side, and Ren would find himself being pushed against her by the force of the maneuver.

They flew down to skim just over a frozen lake, and then back up again at a nearly straight angle, the force of their ascent pushing their breath down into their lungs. Latias began to slow as she reached the crest of her incline, and then crawled to a stop for a few harrowing, weightless seconds as a second blast of noise overcame her and her passenger.

Then, slowly and ever so subtly, Latias began to tilt backwards from her vertical position as the wind streamed around her body, creating a quiet whistling noise. She continued to tilt as she began to fall, looping backwards as she picked up speed. At first, Ren was suspended completely upside down. He held on with all of his might and narrowed his eyelids to slits as Latias continued her backwards roll; the wind howled around them at an ever increasing intensity as they quickly picked up speed.

Finally, Latias completed her flip and was once again plummeting head-first towards earth. At that time, Ren realized that his lungs were aching. He had not taken a breath during the entirety of Latias' last maneuver, and began to gasp for air. He shuddered as adrenaline coursed through his body, his limbs tingling with excitement.

"Unbelievable!" he thought to his companion. "Is this how you always feel when you fly!?"

"Most of the time," Latias replied, laughing. She began to slow, pulling out of her dive before she turned her feathered head back to regard him with a single golden eye. "It's much more fun than the speeds we normally go," she thought-spoke to him.

"So it is," Ren said to himself, smiling. He had been holding Latias back; whenever they had flown before, he had been too afraid to go so fast. Now that he had overcome that fear, he couldn't understand where it stemmed from in the first place.

Latias leveled out, and then began to accelerate once again. The familiar blast of sound soon followed, and then both she and Ren were left in utter silence. Suddenly Latias had an idea. "I want you to try something," she thought to Ren. "Let go of my neck."

"What?" Ren hesitated. "Won't I fall?" he asked, involuntarily glancing at the ground as it moved swiftly below them.

"Of course not," Latias answered. "Go ahead. And close your eyes, as well."

Ren did as Latias asked, and loosened his grip around her neck. He noted that the light surrounding him seemed to be keeping him steady, and then he closed his eyes.

"Now spread your arms out," Latias continued. "That's right," she added as he did so. Ren could not imagine what Latias was up to, but he obeyed nonetheless. She paused before speaking again. "It's all right to open your eyes now."

Ren obliged, and then gasped. Latias was no longer holding him aloft; he was alone. Underneath him, the ground passed at breakneck speed. He glanced quickly in every direction. He still saw no sign of his companion, and began to panic.

"Latias!" he called out with his mind.

"Yes?" she answered. Ren sensed that she was very close.

"Where are you!?" he started to shout. "What are…!?" he trailed off as Latias' shape flickered once beneath him, and then reverted back to clarity. The motion was subtle, but it made Ren realize that the dragon was still carrying him. His eyes grew wide, and then he laughed. Of course she was still there. He would have fallen were she not.

Latias began to fly so close to the ground that she left a wake of disturbed snow surging behind her. Ren turned his attention forward, allowing the full sense of their speed to reach his senses. A confident smile turned up one corner of his mouth as they rushed headlong through the forest, dodging so close to trees that the smaller ones bent away as they passed.

"So this is what flying is really like," Ren thought to himself.

--------

Ah. I love the ability to use italics. That last sentence just felt so bland on the other site I post at.

In other news, I see what you mean, DP. I really do need a bit more description about Weavile and the Sneasels...

It's funny, because in a later chapter I describe some pokes with about a paragraph each worth of text. I don't know what got into me here...

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Absolutely no replies? That's odd. Ah well, my last chapter was slightly filler-ish (much as I hate to say that word; all my chapters are important in at least some way).

I could post my next chapter a little early, but then you all would be catching up to my writing a bit too fast. You have about three chapters to go until I run out of ones I've already written. After that time, it will probably take longer for each chapter to arrive, which isn't very fun for you all, so I want to postpone that situation as long as possible (if that makes any sense).

Twinx

Years
Can't really say much about this chapter, it's nice that you're not rushing into things though. I'd say it's a filler, but I guess it's necessary.
I'm not a good reviewer really, I'm just reading for the joy of it :)

I wasn't going to post a useless reply, but just wanted to let you know that we're still reading. I think you should post another chapter now, but that's completely up to you.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
This is where things begin to pick up. Enjoy!

--------

Chapter Seventeen

As Latias and Ren returned to the clearing surrounding Eli's house, they noticed that Latios and Kairn had already finished their flying lesson. The two were eating a dinner of roasted fowl-meat in the small patch of dry ground that Houndour had created that morning. The dog-like pokemon stood near them, also eating.

Kairn set his food down on a stone slab he was using like a plate as Ren and Latias landed nearby. "That was incredible!" he said, face beaming. "Will we get to do that again? Will Latios and I ever go as fast as you two?"

"Probably," Latias thought to him, answering both of his questions at once. She suppressed a smile at his enthusiasm.

"For right now, though, let's stick to the basics…like not letting go," Latios added with a laugh.

Kairn's face grew red as he returned to eating. His flying lesson had gone perfectly fine until he tried to balance on Latios' back with no hands. He had not warned his companion beforehand, and the dragon had accelerated at exactly that instant. The result had been Kairn rolling down a rather large, snow-covered hill.

Latias and Ren joined their companions in the meal, and then they all began to talk of the days events. Sharp, resounding clashes of metal from below denoted that Eli was still working. Suddenly, the clamor stopped. The five friends looked to the entrance of the man's underground house as he came topside.

"I thought you might like to read these while you eat," he said, producing his two volumes of the Eon Chronicles. "I have the designs for the armor memorized, so I don't need them at the moment."

Kairn accepted the books and then returned to his seat as Eli went back down the ladder. He held them awkwardly in his hands before cracking the top one open to the first page. Ren, Latios, Latias, and Houndour crowded around him as he began to read falteringly.

'Herein are recorded the findings of Ethra and Latias, being the eighth generation of the Eon Family since the Union. Year 8002 Post Darkness, month May, day Tuesday the 14th.

On this day I was sparring with Aen when I noticed a strange sensation in my fingers. I looked down to find that my hands were glowing with a vibrant, white light. When I brought my fingers closer to my face to examine them, I noticed that they were very hot.

This, needless to say, was puzzling. My hands began to cool as I stood still, but when I returned to swordplay, my fingers once again shone forth brightly. I even singed Aen on accident when we had locked swords and my knuckles brushed his. He is rather wary of me now.

I spoke with Latias about the incident, but she was also unsure as to the cause. I have decided to investigate this matter further tomorrow. For now, I must sleep.'

Kairn paused as his friends leaned in closer, and then looked around at them. "That's it," he said after a moment. "The next few pages detail the armor that Eli is making."

"How can that be all?" Ren asked. "Keep going. Maybe she continued writing later."

Kairn searched through the rest of the pages in the book, and then continued on to the next book. However, Ethra's writings did not continue.

"Strange," thought Latias. "Are there any more mentions if this occurrence?"

Kairn thumbed through the books again. "No, none," he said. "Here's a segment on dressing wounds, one on sword techniques, but nothing like what I just read."

Everyone mused for a few moments as the already-low sun began to sink under the horizon, tinting the trees and clouds a mixture of gold, purple, and pink.

"We've had a long day," Latios thought finally, yawning with a muted roar. "And apparently, there's not much more we can discover with these books. I propose that we rest now and search for the answers later, when we have more of the Chronicles in our possession."

The dragon's yawn quickly carried around the group as they all nodded their heads in agreement. The five companions made their way back to the entrance of Eli's house, and then climbed down the ladder. Once inside, they announced their intentions to sleep, and Eli stopped hammering.

"That's fine," he said. "I'm rather tired, as well." He set down his hammer, and then laid the steel plate he had been working on beside it.

The companions all set up blankets like they had the night before and bedded down for the night. Torkoal's flame dimmed to a low level, allowing the room to be overcome by darkness. Soon, everyone was asleep, except for Latios and Kairn.

"I've been thinking," Kairn whispered to Latios, still not quit able to converse with him through thought alone. "About this armor that Eli is building. He says that I will be able to use it to change my appearance, just like you." He paused. "How will that work?"

Latios turned a red eye to his companion, his feathers glowing dimly in the dark. "While you are near me, you are influenced by me," he said. "You haven't noticed yet, but subtle changes are happening inside your mind and body. Essentially, you are inheriting some of my traits, but they may manifest themselves in unexpected ways. Take the armor for instance. When you use it, you will be able to control the flow of light around you, just like me. However, you may also be able to do other things; things neither of us may expect."

"Like Ethra?" Kairn asked, regarding the women he had read about earlier in the Chronicles. "I'm assuming her ability came from her partnership with Latias."

"It is possible," Latios answered, nodding his head once. "However, unlike her power, which was very pronounced, most are subtle. Some aren't even discovered until many years after a dragon's union with a human. Some probably aren't even discovered at all."

Kairn frowned, looking perplexed. "How do you know this?" he asked. "The Eon Chronicles don't say anything like that."

"Oh, but they do." Latios answered. "The ones I was taught from did, anyways."

"The ones you were taught from?" Kairn's frown deepened. "What do you mean? Weren't you taught the same things as Latias?"

"No," the dragon answered. "I was taught from a different set of the Chronicles, and therefore I know different things. Latias and I already have spoken about this, and have exchanged most of our knowledge with each other. I decided to teach you about her set of the books before we delved into mine."

"All right," Kairn said, his look of confusion lessening somewhat. Then he had a thought. "Latios, who was your teacher?" he asked.

The dragon hesitated for a moment before answering. "I don't know," he thought to his companion finally. "I can never seem to remember. It's very strange…" he trailed off. "I do remember some type of light, however." He thought for a few moments more, and then shook his head. "It's no use. I just can't remember."

"It's fine," Kairn said. "I'm sure you will recall sometime." He yawned. "Let's go to sleep now, though. I'm so tired I can hardly keep my eyes open."

"I know how you feel," Latios thought to him. He closed his maroon eyes as his feathers began to glow more softly. "Goodnight."

The two drifted into slumber, the questions in their minds slowly fading away.

Weavile returned exactly a week after his departure from Eli's house. He slipped undetected as a shadow across the ground while a cluster of similar shadows followed behind. When he arrived at the entrance to his captive's home he materialized into his normal form, and held up a glistening, icy claw. The shadows behind him stopped moving, wavering slightly in the moonlight.

The dark creature made his way into the lean-to covering the door leading to Eli's house, and then bent low to the ground as he returned to his shadow form. He covered the door, and then began to seep noiselessly through the small cracks surrounding it.

Once inside, he rematerialized before making his way to the center of the living room, where he regarded his surroundings with haunting, glowing eyes. The two boys slept on the floor on blankets, their dragons beside them. Eli and Torkoal were in the corner of the room, also asleep. On the wall, two suits of finished armor were hung; one was layered with blue and white feathers, the other with red and white. Weavile grinned, revealing rows of twisted, sharp teeth. He made his way to Ren as he noiselessly extended his claws.

He stood before the boy, listening to him breath easily in his sleep. Such innocence. Such weakness. This was no warrior. Latias would be so very under-utilized if allowed to stay with him. Weavile could not let that stand. He lashed out suddenly, his claw whistling shrilly towards the boy's heart.

Unexpectedly, his claws did not penetrate. They simply stopped just above the boy's chest as a loud, resounding "clang" echoed throughout the room. Weavile's face had just enough time to register shock before many things happened at once. The two dragons sleeping alongside the boys wavered, distorting until just Latios was left. On the wall, the hanging armor also began to change shape, and then was revealed to be Latias in disguise. Under Weavile's claw, feathered armor faded into existence. It had protected his victim from harm.

Suddenly, Weavile roared in pain as the tip of a blade seemingly appeared out of his chest. He gasped, looking down at the shining metal, and then convulsed again as Ren snapped his eyes open and plunged his own sword through the creature's abdomen.

"How--!?" he hissed to Eli, who was standing behind him. His eyes were wide.

"I defeated your servants with the help of Ren and Kairn here," the man said through gritted teeth. "You should have considered that before you left them alone with us. Then it was simply a matter of staying up every night, waiting. I am done serving you. I will not follow blindly any longer, nor will I allow you to slay these two."

"You wish to save them?" Weavile asked, regarding the boys. "You fool! I have many more servants waiting just outside. If I do not go out to them soon, they have orders to attack. You should have done as I commanded. Instead, you disobeyed! Now you will all die in vain!" he spat.

"Then I shall die with a clear conscience," Eli replied tersely. He sharply twisted his blade, and then wrenched it free of Weavile's body. Freezing, dark-blue liquid spattered the ground as Ren did the same with his own sword. Weavile fell flat on his face, his eyes dimming as the ground around him turned icy from his blood. "My betters will not be denied their prize," he whispered weakly. Then death overcame him.

"What do we do now?" Ren asked, wiping frost from his sword with one of the blankets. Kairn, Latios, Latias, and Houndour all crowded around him.

"We run," Eli said flatly.

--------

Twinx

Years
"...they all began to talk of the day's events."
That's the only mistake I have found.

Anyway, this was a nice chapter, this is getting better and better!
I'm very suspicious about that Latios though.
Can't wait to know how they will manage to escape from Weavile's servants.

Back