• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Eon Chronicles

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
Overdue review here. Sorry again. I've been busy, and... ahem, lazy... but I didn't forget! :P

A few things to point out first:

"I have the designs for the armor memorized, so I don't need them at the moment."

I like this line, mostly because it informs the reader that Eli has been in the hands of that Weavile for quite awhile now, and that adds to his character. :P Don't know if that was the intention of it, but yeah. It's better than just blurting it out through text out of nowhere. Readers can actually infer.

Kairn searched through the rest of the pages in the book, and then continued on to the next book.

y use book twice. breaks flow.

"I've been thinking," Kairn whispered to Latios, still not quit able to converse with him through thought alone.

"quit" should be "quite"

"Oh, but they do." Latios answered.

Comma after "do", not the period. And... you used "answered" for Latios before and after this one. Mix it up a little, otherwise it gets too boring too fast.

There was more, but I don't think you want this whole thing to be grammar/spelling. XD

And, I noticed improvement in your description, though there was nothing wrong with it before. I especially liked the description after Weavile came back. That was nicely done... even though you killed him! ;_; However, everyone's reactions after that happened were kind of non-existent. It was simply a "he died, now what?" kind of thing. More could have been added.

Also, another cliffhanger..?! I'm always left with those. =( I think you'll do well with their escape, if Weavile really does have other servants waiting... :P

You also did a good job with incorporating the mystery of Ethra and Latias. I think something bad happened to her after... who knows? Guess we'll find out with Ren... :P Maybe.

Sorry for the lame/short review. XD Not much happened this chapter, really.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I think that the conversation between Eli and Weavile was kind of their closure with each other. Eli killed Weavile, and then pretty much moved on. He couldn't really be emotional, because the creature basically brutalized him for a long time. Although I could have added a bit about one of the characters pitying the creature for being so heartless, and in dying in such a way. That could be good.

As for Ethra and Latias, I believe I'll be doing quite a bit with them. It may turn out rather interesting, but I'll need some more plot development first.

EDIT: I see someone rated my fic one star. Mind telling me why? Or did you just think it would be funny?

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
I think that the conversation between Eli and Weavile was kind of their closure with each other. Eli killed Weavile, and then pretty much moved on. He couldn't really be emotional, because the creature basically brutalized him for a long time. Although I could have added a bit about one of the characters pitying the creature for being so heartless, and in dying in such a way. That could be good.

As for Ethra and Latias, I believe I'll be doing quite a bit with them. It may turn out rather interesting, but I'll need some more plot development first.

EDIT: I see someone rated my fic one star. Mind telling me why? Or did you just think it would be funny?

It was probably a stupid joke.

And, I wasn't expecting Eli to feel sorry for Weavile or anything, but I was kind of expecting a happy reaction from him. A feeling of finally being free or something.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Seeing as I haven't posted a new chapter in roughly half a month (whoops) I'll do that now. There are two more chapters after this one until the fic is caught up with my writing (I.E I will have to actually start writing more chapters at that point), so it may take me longer to post at that time. Anyways, enjoy!

--------

Chapter Eighteen

Ren swung up onto Latias' back, while Kairn jumped up onto Latios along with Houndour. Both of the boys were wearing their new armor, the feather-layered steel slightly luminous in the near-dark.

"We're ready," Ren said to Eli as he and Kairn drew their swords. The two blades shone dimly with their own inner light.

"Just one moment," Eli answered as he made his way to the back room. Torkoal followed him, using its fiery shell as a torch. Eli stepped over the bodies of the two Sneasels that had held him hostage up until recently, and then collected his editions of the Eon Chronicles from a shelf.

"That's odd," he muttered to himself as he stepped over the Sneasels once again. The creatures seemed to be dissolving into nothing: black steam rose from their crumpled forms, and they appeared to be mostly deteriorated. He paid them no more attention as he hurried back to the adjoining room.

"Take these," Eli said, handing one of the Chronicles to each of the boys. "They are yours' now. Keep them safe."

"We will," Kairn and Ren said in unison as they placed the books in leather bags strapped around their backs. The bags contained small amounts of food and water that Eli had rationed to them earlier, along with vials of Potion that Ren had concocted.

Eli grunted as he hefted a mighty broadsword with one hand, the blade still tainted blue from Weavile's blood. He had forged the sword after creating the boys' armor during the past week; all of his other weaponry had been taken long ago by his dark captor. Eli bent down to Torkoal, and whispered a few words. The creature retracted into its shell, and the man then wrapped a long metal chain around its carapace. This done, he hoisted the heavily-armored pokemon with his free arm, brandishing it as a shield.

"I don't know exactly what is waiting for us, but I doubt that we will get out of this situation easily," he intoned grimly, looking at each of his guests in turn. "If we are separated, do not come back for me. You are all much too important to risk your lives for my sake." He paused for a long time before speaking again in a low voice. "I hope one day you will forgive me for misleading you."

"We already have," Kairn said to him. Ren, Latios, and Latias all nodded in agreement. The man seemed to stand a bit taller after this.

"Let's be off, then," he said, tightening his grip on his sword. He looked around, and then nodded. "I've been in this place long enough."

Fear took an icy hold on Kairn's heart as Latios bore him upwards through the tunnel leading from Eli's home. What was about to happen? Would he and his friends make it through? He tried not to think as he tightened his hold on Houndour, more for his own reassurance than the pokemon's safety. The dog-like creature glanced up at him, and he forced a small smile.

"Don't worry," he said, taking a moment to scratch Houndour behind the ears. "We'll be fine," he added, feeling anything but.

They rose until Kairn's head was almost touching the metal door that topped the tunnel. Latias and Ren hovered just under them, and Eli brought up the rear. The man had threaded his broadsword through the chains on Torkoal's shell, freeing his sword hand for climbing the ladder.

Kairn took a deep breath, trying to stop himself from shaking. Then he raised his hand above his head, placed it flat against the door, and pushed with all of his might as Latios surged upwards. They roared above ground into the lean-to, and then flew out with Latias, Ren, Eli, and Torkoal close behind.

As Eli exited the lean-to on the run, he threw his left arm back, allowing Torkoal to torch the structure with a blast of flame. It burned quickly to the ground as screeches emitted from its depths, signifying that it was not as empty as it had appeared.

Suddenly, dark shapes seemed to grow out of the ground all around the group. "Don't stop!" Eli said as Torkoal began to toss strands of flame at their attackers.

Latias and Latios both put on bursts of speed as their partners readied themselves. Before them, countless black creatures seemed to form an impenetrable wall: glowing, white eyes shone back at them out of the gloom as they streaked forward like two glowing comets.

Time seemed to slow for Ren, as though everyone was moving through water. He saw Houndour spitting jets of flame from Latios' back, the streaks showing bright orange against the black of night. He saw Kairn yelling, brandishing his sword above his head, swinging the blade in slow circles. He saw Latias' breath coalesce like a cloud in front of her face, and then watched as it roiled away and upwards, left behind as they seemed to crawl through the air towards their opposition.

Then he looked forward. In front of him and a few yards off, he could make out the twisted forms of Sneasels as they ran to meet him. Behind them, there were things he could not identify; spider-like creatures as black as pitch, with red rings around their bodies and yellow, knobby legs.

Time quickened again as Ren swung his sword, slashing a Sneasel across the chest. Wretched, dark liquid splattered over him, and he fought to hold on to his stomach contents as he downed more and more of the dark forms. Under him, Latias used her claws, her beautiful feathers soon becoming stained with what seemed to be black blood.

The two quickly broke through the line of Sneasels, and were now confronted by the spider-like creatures. "Ariadoses!" Eli shouted from a ways back, noticing the dark, spindly shapes for the first time. "Beware the webs!"

Too late. Latias flew between two trees, and Ren just caught a glimpse of a silvery thread before it swept him cleanly off of his companion's back, knocking the wind from his lungs. Gasping for air, he stumbled to his feet, swinging blindly until he could recover. His blade met flesh a few times before he caught his breath, and as his vision cleared, he noticed that three Ariadoses lie writhing before him. More pressed in around him, their fangs dripping, and he fended them off as Latias circled back.

"Jump as high as you can!" the dragon thought-shouted to him she rushed to his position. He did so, and found that he landed on feathers and flesh instead of snow and dirt. He repositioned himself so that he was sitting on Latias' back as before, and then she pulled up, away from the eight-legged forms below them.

Nearby, Kairn had also been knocked free of his mount, and was now fighting alongside Houndour as they waited for Latios to return. Suddenly, a Sneasel reared up from the ground right before him, knocking his blade free in the same motion. The sword glinted as it spiraled lazily away, and then landed in the snow with a clang as Kairn threw himself to the side. A pair of claws whistled through the air where he had just been, and then he pivoted, using his momentum to turn and throw a punch into his attacker's face.

The Sneasel crumpled to the ground, but two more took its place instantly. Kairn yelled in frustration as he took a few steps backwards, and then shielded his eyes as the two black creatures burst into bright flames.

"Thanks," he said to Houndour, nodding once quickly. The pokemon nodded back, and then began to glow a brilliant white. Kairn gasped as Houndour began growing in size, his limbs becoming longer and more muscular, his muzzle becoming tapered, his tail lengthening until it ended in a bladed point. Two curling horns sprouted from his head, and a fire shone in his eyes.

"Houndoom," the pokemon growled deeply. Then he threw his head back, and howled.

Every single living thing within hearing distance froze. Kairn held his ears as the long, wailing note rose and fell, watching as the Sneasels and Ariadoses around him began to quake in fear. Then he looked on as Houndoom surged forward, grabbed a cowering Ariados around the throat with his jaws, and then simply erupted into a towering inferno.

When the flame died away, Houndoom and his victim where nowhere to be found. Instead, a huge, charred circle of earth was the only indication that they had been there at all. Kairn picked up his sword, casting his eyes wildly about for his companion. Instead, he spotted Latios as the dragon returned to him.

"Get on!" Latios thought, lowering his neck mid-flight.

Kairn began to run along with him, and then threw himself onto the dragon's back.
"Houndour just evolved!" he yelled to the feathered head in front of him. "Then he disappeared! I don't know where he--"

The boy cut himself short. Next to him, racing across the snow, was a black, flat shadow. He raised his sword defensively, and then dropped it to his side as Houndoom materialized from the dark patch, running parallel to Latios' path. In the creature's mouth were the charred remains of what had once been an Ariados.

"There you are!" Kairn shouted. The pokemon looked back at him, eyes ablaze. Then it dropped what was in its jaws, and howled a second time.

Kairn laughed wildly, bloodlust surging through his body as he, Latios, and Houndoom rushed towards what remained of their opposition. A few Sneasels had circled around Eli, and they made for that group now. The man noted them coming towards him, and slew a few of his attackers before waving them away with his sword.

"I told you not to come back for me!" he yelled. "I have this under control!"

"It doesn't look like it!" Kairn shouted back as he came to the first few Sneasels between them. He swung his sword as Houndoom leaped into the air and Latios' claws flashed. Three dark figures fell to the snow in unison. They had no chance against this sudden onslaught.

The trio kept going, Houndoom circling one way, Kairn and Latios the other, destroying every opponent in their path. When they met on the opposite side, only one Sneasel was still standing, which was the one Eli was currently fighting.

They watched as the Sneasel took a swipe at the man with its claws, only to have them neatly cleaved off as Eli used the blade of his sword to block. It howled in pain, but the cry was cut short as Eli bashed the Sneasel over the head with Torkoal's fiery shell. The dark creature dropped to the ground, and then lay still, its fur singed by the crushing attack.

Ren and Latias arrived then, noting how many black shapes littered the ground around their companions. Ren jumped off of his partner, and then looked around. There was not a living Sneasel or Ariados in sight.

"Well," he said, turning back to his friends. "I guess that's that."

--------

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
Years
Hey man, keep 'em coming, I'm sure people are reading this.
I'm a fan of this, but I don't find the need to reply because I don't really know how to criticize. I just take it as it is.

You've got 1,634 views if you have noticed. That's good eh?
Just because people don't reply, doesn't mean that no one's reading.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
True, true. Usually someone tosses in a word or two, but I guess that isn't really the only indicator that people are reading. I guess I'm surprised that no one pointed out grammar mistakes, or anything, for that matter, because that's a rare occurance. I usually make at least one mistake.

Ah well. Can't complain that people aren't finding fault ;)

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Mmmyep. Chapter time. The trend of "things start to pick up" continues with this one, and boy is it long. Really long. Anyways, this one also took me roughly four weeks to write, so it's probably a bit more worked-through than my other chapters. Enjoy!

--------

Chapter Nineteen

Eli did not share Ren's sentiments. He had manufactured weapons for too long to think that he and his guests were safe. He did not know where the weapons went when Weavile took them, but he did know that they were made for humans, and thus were probably given to some type of army.

One that had not appeared, strangely. Eli mulled over this, and then had a thought. While the Sneasels and Ariadoses where in their shadow forms, they moved more swiftly than any creature he had ever seen, save for Latias and Latios. Their dark forms seemed to ignore obstacles: they simply washed over them like any other shadow and continued on, unfaltering. If they were part of a larger force, they would be the first to arrive at any location.

The thought surged into his mind, bringing with it a wave of fear. If there was more to Weavile's army, it would have yet to arrive. The Sneasels and Ariadoses would have been ordered to hold the dragons and their partners up if Weavile failed in his capture attempt. They would have been ordered to act as decoys until the brunt of Weavile's forces could join and assist them. If this was the case, they had carried out those orders well.

"We need to move!" Eli said urgently to his guests. No sooner had he finished speaking than a silvery throwing knife glanced off of Torkoal's shell and spun past his face, leaving a cut across his jaw line. Ren and Kairn mounted Latias and Latios as a wave of black-clad men rushed out of the surrounding trees, along with a multitude of pokemon. Metal blades glinted wickedly here and there in the sparse moonlight, some complex, most simple, but all designed with the sole purpose of killing in mind. Eli knew that the weapons were all of his making, and cursed the irony of the situation.

"Leave me here and get to safety!" he roared as he ran towards what seemed to be the thinnest part of the circle of enemies. He fell upon the men with great intensity, hacking left and right as Torkoal came to life on his arm, throwing spurts of flame into the crowd.

Latias and Latios hesitated, not wanting to abandon Eli, but then Ren cried out as he took a throwing knife in the shoulder, where his armor was thin. The blade punched through the feathers and metal before stopping, embedded part-way in his flesh. They had lingered much too long. In a flurry of snow and a rush of air, the dragons took off as they and their partners made themselves invisible in the same instant. Below them, Houndoom reverted to his shadow form, and began to follow in their wake.

The five rushed out of the clearing, Latias and Latios flying over the heads of their attackers, Houndoom passing beneath their feet. A storm of throwing knives flashed about the friends, but since they could not be seen, their attackers' aim was far off. Once they were fairly out of danger, Ren pulled the shimmering throwing knife from his shoulder, winced, and pressed a hand to the injury. Blood began to trickle around his fingers and down the front of his armor, staining the feathered metal red as he looked back to see if Eli had escaped. All was chaos on the ground, however, and he could not spot the man. He feared the worst.

"We must go back for him!" he thought urgently to Latias. "There is no way he can fight out of that alone!"

"We can't risk it," came the swift reply. "You're injured, and we would be far outnumbered. Besides, he told us to leave him behind."

"I don't care!" Ren yelled aloud. He felt his self-control slip a notch. "We can't leave him to the fate he suffered before our arrival! Or death, if it comes to that!"

Latias responded with utter calm and a touch of sadness, speaking quietly into her partner's thoughts. "We have to. It was his intent to help us get away. It was foolish of him, but we can't help that now. We must make the best of the opportunity he gave us. To go back would be to erase the worth of his sacrifice, if he is indeed dead." She swerved, just barely whipping around a tree, skimming it with her hind claws.

"But if he isn't dead, we can save him!" Ren was still shouting. "We're strong enough! We could defeat all of those men! All of those creatures!"

"No, we can't," Latias thought to him. "The beings that just attacked us are much stronger than anything we have yet encountered. Did you see how they arrived without us noticing? How perfect their tactics were? Those knives where thrown with nothing short of a master's touch. If they had acted differently while flying, if they had strayed even a little, you would be…" she trailed off.

"Dead…" Ren breathed the word as his anger abated, subdued suddenly by a chilling understanding. He could feel Latias grow tense.

"Yes," she continued, her mind's voice a whisper. "And another thing. I managed to intercept the thoughts of a few of those men. Never before have I encountered such black hatred, not even in Weavile. They seemed driven by it, as though it was their source of power. And such power! I fear that these may be disciples of the Dark One."

Both lapsed into silence, contemplating what this could mean for them.

"It's getting too cold for me to fly," Latias announced finally to everyone present, mostly out of need, but partially to change the subject. "We need to land."

The dragons floated to the ground, and allowed Kairn and Ren to dismount. Then they continued on, trudging through the snow. Houndoom trotted before them, now back to his normal form, his body aglow with dancing fire. The five traveled in the warm silence for some time, the day's events repeating over and over in their heads.

Suddenly, Ren stumbled. He was losing a fair amount of blood, and his strength was waning. Latias put a forearm out to steady him, and caught him before he fell. Concern instantly registered on her face as Kairn, Latios, and Houndoom drew near.

"I'm fine," the boy said, looking sidelong at them. He straightened, walked a few more steps, and then stumbled again. Latias caught him once more.

"No, you're not," she thought to him, and then helped him walk to the shelter of a large oak tree, placing one of his arms around her neck for support. Once there, she lowered him to the ground, positioning him so that his back was resting against the bark. Kairn then knelt down beside the two, and very carefully unbuckled the leather straps that held Ren's armor in place. He lifted the metal plating away, and then closed his eyes as nausea overcame him.

The wound was not deep, but it looked terrible. The throwing knife had entered at an awkward angle, leaving a long, jagged cut that was deeper at one end and shallower at the other. Blood surrounded the injury, and continued still to trickle out.

Latios hovered over, and then came to rest next to Latias, bending down to examine Ren's shoulder. "We need water to cleanse this," he announced after a moment, turning his luminous maroon eyes to Kairn. He had seen how the boy reacted to Ren's injury, and he thought it best to excuse him for a while.

The boy nodded, and went into the surrounding darkness with Houndoom. Once he was a good way off, he turned away from his partner, fell to his hands and knees in the snow, and threw up, unable to help himself.

Images of creatures dead and dying cycled through his mind along with pictures of Ren's wound and morbid, unwanted thoughts of how Eli may have met his fate. He continued to retch even after his stomach was empty, making small gagging noises as more and more sickly memories flooded through his thoughts. This kept on until his innards felt as though they were on fire; as though his stomach and intestines had twisted tightly around each other. Houndoom respectfully kept his distance, waiting in silence with eyes half closed, not looking directly at his companion.

Once Kairn had gotten himself under control, he slowly got to his feet, his stomach still feeling raw and damaged. His hands shook, and sweat shone on his forehead.

"This is no way for a warrior to act," he chided himself. However, the words held little comfort for him. The terrible images remained in his head, seeming to jeer at him, each a symbol of the fear he felt so intensely. He shied away from the thoughts, trying to lock them away, thinking himself weak for doing so. He should be able to handle this.

Feeling dejected, he found a rock with a deep hollow on one side, and filled it with snow, which Houndoom then melted. Spurred on only by the dire need of his friend, Kairn worked his way slowly back to the rest of the group, taking care not to spill the water in the bowl-like rock he carried.

Once he arrived, he noticed that Ren seemed to be asleep. Latios took the bowl from him, and then began to clean Ren's wound with a strip of cloth he had cut from the boy's undershirt. When this was done, the dragon delicately pulled a vial of Potion from Ren's pack, allowing Kairn to remove the cork. Latios then spread the green liquid over his patient's shoulder, taking care not to touch the boy's laceration, lest he injure him further. Finally, he cleaned the strip of cloth in the now-red water, and then gave it to Kairn.

"The wound needs to be wrapped, and I can't tie knots," the dragon thought quietly to him. "I noticed earlier your reaction to the sight of Ren's injury, but you are the only one here that will be able to bandage him." Kairn's face went pale, but he continued to gaze levelly at Latios, whose eyes softened.

"Here's what I want you to do," the dragon continued. "Take this strip of cloth, and hold this end over the cut so that you don't have to look at it while you work. Then simply wrap the rest around Ren's shoulder."

Kairn did as he was instructed, working quickly. He managed to finish without going into another bout of vomiting, and exhaled shakily as he sat back in the snow.

"Good," Latios thought to him. Then the dragon placed a claw on the boy's shoulder.

"You have every right to feel the way you do now," he thought to his partner. Kairn looked up questioningly at him as he continued. "What we have been through in the past few days would be too much for most any creature." He turned his gaze to the sliver of moon hanging in the sky.

"The task set before us will not be easy. In fact, it will be the most difficult thing anyone has experienced for nearly a thousand years. There will be trials that we cannot even imagine, foes that we could not describe even in our wildest nightmares. It is the test of a lifetime, Kairn, and we must be prepared to face our fears. Such as losing Eli. Or one of us being injured." He looked back to the boy.

"The only way we can face such fears is to help each other through them. Do not think that you are weak because you could not keep control over yours. You are not intended to. We are partnered for a reason, and that is to see each other through the great struggles that lie ahead. We could not do this alone. Do not feel like you must."

Kairn nodded slowly, taking comfort in his companion's words, his feelings of inferiority slipping away like sand through his fingertips. He sat quietly for a few moments, deep in thought. Then he asked: "Latios? Do you think that Eli and Torkoal will be alright?"

"I think they'll be fine," the dragon answered. "They seem to be able to take care of themselves."

"And Ren?"

"He'll be fine too, under our care."

Kairn grew silent again, trying to decide whether he shared his friend's optimism. He concluded that he did. Then he yawned. "We haven't slept for a while, have we?"

"No, we haven't," Latios chuckled. "Go ahead and try to get some rest. I'll take watch tonight."

The boy nodded once, and then sat down and leaned back against the tree. Latias was already asleep, curled up at Ren's side, and Houndour lay stretched between all of them, exuding a soft warmth.

Kairn dozed quietly for a time, watching Latios' dark form as he floated nearby, silhouetted by the moonlight, a silent sentinel against anything that could come their way. Then the boy fell into a deep slumber, one which comforted his tired body and mind.

In the clearing above Eli's former home, three figures in long black cloaks stood together in silence. Around them, the soldiers that were at their command huddled near fires to keep the biting cold away, wondering how their leaders could possibly stay warm in such frigid conditions. Presently, a fourth figure surfaced from the tunnel leading into Eli's underground house, and his companions watched quietly as he approached.

"Weavile is dead," the newcomer said simply. Four blades, two on each arm, ran down from where they were attached to his forearms by leather straps to where they ended at the tips of his fingers like metal hooks. As the man made his hands into fists, the blades stood out, forming two menacing claws.

"They will pay dearly for this," another of the group stated, polishing one of a pair of sickles. The insides of the blades were smooth and sharp, while the outsides were partially serrated. The blade he worked on was black, while the other was white.

"Ah, but we must find them first," said the third, a woman. She leaned against a long, slender javelin that bent very slightly under her subtle weight. One end of the weapon was topped with a skinny, needle-like blade. "It's a pity you let them escape, Venin," she continued with a slight edge to her voice.

"Did I?" the last figure asked, a man. He brushed his hand over one of two rows of long, heavy, razor sharp throwing knives strapped to his chest. When he drew his hand away, he held a blade hidden in his palm, balancing the tip on his middle finger. "According to my memory, you were the one that failed to stop Eli and his pet, Tira. You allowed them to distract me."

The two glared at each other until the second man, who was named Gail, put down the sickle he was working on. "Silence," he commanded with a low growl. "You are both beginning to wear on my patience. The only thing that matters now is that our quarry has escaped, and it is getting farther away as we speak. I will accompany you two to capture the dragons." He paused.

"Clave?" he looked to the first man, who gave him instant attention. "You will go after Eli and Torkoal. Take the rest of our soldiers with you. They will not be useful to us." The man bowed, and crossed his claws over his chest in a salute.

"Let us be off, then," Gail said finally. "We must be swift to overtake our prey."

At these words, an Absol appeared at his side, rising from his shadow. The black and white pokemon shook himself, liberating small bits of snow that clung to his fur. A black scythe grew from one side of his cat-like head, and his four legs ended in sharp, black claws. A mane of white fur wreathed his neck, and a black, blade-shaped tail swept back from his dog-like body.

In response to Absol's appearance, a Tyranitar rose beside Tira, while a Cacturne materialized next to Venin.

The first pokemon resembled a green, armored lizard. She stood on two legs, and rows of spines covered her back. She had a long, thick, powerful tail, and her sturdy limbs ended in massive blunt claws. Sharp, white teeth shone from her jaws, and her great weight caused her to sink deep in the snow. She stood nearly twice as tall as her partner.

The second creature resembled a human, but with a green, thickset, spiny body. He had a pointed, dark-green hat on his head, which concealed ominous black-and-yellow eyes. His mouth was held partially closed by a green skin-like material, and a dark-purple liquid oozed from enlarged spikes on his arms. Overall, the creature had the look of a scarecrow.

Gail sized up his and his partners' pokemon. All were nearly perfect specimens of their species, with bodies and minds honed from years of intense training. He grinned slightly under his hood, and then spoke one word. "Absol." The furred creature regarded him with sharp, clear eyes, cocking its head to one side to indicate that it was listening. "I need you to help me find something. Follow this scent," he finished, offering a feather to the pokemon. It was one of Latias'.

Absol sniffed the object for a few moments, and then began to trot away, holding his head in the air, turning it this way and that. Soon, he broke into a full run, and then became fully black as he lost consistency, whirled apart like a flurry of leaves, and blew into the forest as though caught up in a strong wind, allowing Latias' essence to flow through him as he followed her trail. His master followed closely behind, followed by Tira, Tyranitar, Venin, and Cacturne.

Clave looked on as his six companions left the clearing, and then rounded up the soldiers that waited nearby. He marched them in the opposite direction, towards where Eli had run off into the forest after killing six members of the regiment. The man glanced furtively towards the entrance to Eli's home, where his partner lay slain, as he passed. Then he continued on, following behind his army as designs for dark vengeance overcame his thoughts.

--------

I'm so glad it fit. I'm not sure what the post length maximum is here, but I really didn't want to break this one into pieces.

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I think it's about time for a new chapter. After I post this one, I'll actually have to write more, which may help wrench me out of the horrific case of writer's block I have right now. Anyways, here's the next installment, and it's another long, action-filled one (should be the last of the sort for a bit).

--------

Chapter Twenty

Something jostled Kairn's shoulder, and he pushed it away as he tried to keep himself from coming fully awake. The nudge came again, harder this time, and he slid sideways away from the tree and into the snow. Deciding that whatever was bothering him wasn't going to give up any time soon, he reluctantly opened his eyelids.

Houndoom stood over him, watching him with ebony eyes. The pokemon appeared agitated: he shifted his footing from time to time, and occasionally sniffed the air. "What is it?" Kairn asked, still not entirely awake. "And can't it wait until later?" he added, noticing that it was still nighttime.

"No," answered a deep voice in his mind.

Kairn glanced at Latios, wondering how the dragon had overheard what he said. However, his partner wasn't awake. The pokemon had been overcome by weariness during his night watch and lay asleep in the snow.

Kairn was confused. If Latios hadn't answered him, then who?

"Me," sounded the voice again, seeming to read his thoughts. Houndoom took a step forward. Kairn stared at him.

"You…can speak?" he asked slowly, visibly shocked.

"Some," Houndoom replied. The pokemon's voice was accompanied by a strange burning sensation, as though a small flame had bloomed in Kairn's thoughts.

"But…how?" Kairn wondered. He waited for an answer, but Houndoom seemed to be having trouble formulating words. The pokemon sent a few unintelligible sounds to the boy through his mind, and then seemed to grow annoyed; he was as of yet unused to human speech.

After a few more attempts, Houndoom decided to try a different method of communication, and began to concentrate. The burning sensation in Kairn's head intensified, although it did not reach an unpleasant level, and an image began to emerge in his thoughts. He saw Latias with one forearm on his brow and the other on Houndoom's, and recognized the scene as when Latias had allowed them to speak to one another while they were injured. The dragon seemed to be in pain, and her eyes were shining a vivid, molten-gold color.

Next, Ren came into view, and seemed to try to pull Latias away. A blinding light flashed as he touched her shoulder, and both of them fell to the ground, unconscious. Kairn remembered feeling a surge of energy during that time, and decided the flash must have been a result of it. Had that surge connected him with Houndoom in some way? And if that was the case, why hadn't the pokemon spoken to him before?

In answer, another image came into his thoughts. It showed Houndoom evolving from Houndour. Was that it? Had Houndoom needed to evolve in order to speak to Kairn's mind? Perhaps the ability had been instilled in him by Latias, but had remained dormant, only to surface when the creature made his miraculous change. Kairn looked at Houndoom, who nodded, as if to tell him that he was correct. Then the pokemon began to send more images to the boy.

First was a picture of a Sneasel, one Houndoom had faced during the battle earlier that night. However, it was not just an image. Also present was a scent: a rancid, biting smell that made Kairn blanch.

After a moment, the image faded to be replaced by the likeness of six beings: three human and three pokemon. The Sneasel's odor was apparent on them, as well, albeit much less prominent. Along with that scent were others: one resembled earth; a dry, dusty smell. One resembled fresh air cleansed by rain. The last resembled loam and wood: the scent of an autumn forest.

Kairn was amazed at what Houndoom was showing him, but he was also baffled. Why was the pokemon sharing these smells with him? Seemingly in response, the six figures he saw in his mind began to run towards him. Chasing him, it seemed. As they approached, their respective scents grew stronger, overpowering the boy. He cowered in fear as they reached him, but then the images and smells faded. In the silence that followed, he realized that he was breathing hard, and that his head hurt.

"Houndoom…are those six coming for us?" he asked, pressing his hands to his temples. The pokemon nodded. "You can smell them approaching?" Another nod.

Kairn exhaled slowly, collecting his thoughts. He had known that Houndoom's sense of smell was very developed from their years together, but had never imagined it to be this powerful. The pokemon had literally discovered these pursuers and then painted a mental picture of them purely by their scent. A good thing, too, or the group members would have never known they were in danger.

The boy shuddered to think what would have happened if he and his friends had been caught unaware, if Houndoom hadn't been with them. It may have been so, he thought, recalling the time he abandoned the pokemon. He had thought the creature to be worthless, all that time ago, and the memory made his mouth go dry. He would never make that mistake again.

"We need to move on tonight," he said to Houndoom. "Help me wake the others."

The two proceeded to rouse Latios, who came awake with a start. He seemed confused as to where he was, and then realized that he had fallen asleep during his watch. The dragon began to reprimand himself and apologize, but Kairn would hear none of it. He bade the dragon to be silent and not to worry, seeing as they were safe just the same, and then told him of his newfound connection to Houndoom.

Latios listened with enraptured interest, and then grew apprehensive when he heard that the party was being followed. He had expected their enemies to have a way of doing this, but didn't think they would be pursued so ruthlessly. Agreeing that they should not stay in one place, the dragon went to wake Latias, and repeated Kairn and Houndoom's story to her.

Latias was at least twice as surprised as he, since she had been the one to create the bond in the first place. The Eon Chronicles they possessed did not mention this ability anywhere, and she wondered if it had ever been discovered before.

After her initial shock wore off, Latios told her of their pursuers. She seemed unsurprised, if a bit worried, and decided without her friends' help that the group would need to keep running. She went to Ren's side, intending to tell him of their situation, but hesitated.

She did not want to wake him, as he needed his rest to heal, but she knew the group could not move quickly without the boy being awake. Latios suggested that they take turns carrying him, which would slow them somewhat, but still allow them to make a fairly hasty getaway. She agreed, and then proceeded to gently shake Ren from his sleep.

When the boy opened his eyes, Latias noticed that something was different. The dragon stared at him until he began to grow uncomfortable.

"What is it?" he asked, leaning back ever so slightly to lessen the impact of his partner's scrutiny.

"Your eyes…" Latias began, continuing to stare. "They seem to be turning…gold."

"What?" Ren asked, and then began searching for a mirrored surface. He found the throwing knife that had caused his injury, held it up to his face, and then angled it until his eyes were reflected in the flat of the blade. Just as Latias had said, his normally hazel irises were streaked with lighter, golden lines. On top of this, they gave forth a very slight glow of the same color. The boy stared at his reflection a moment longer, and then looked around at his companions, noticing for the first time how close they had gathered around him.

"What's wrong?" he asked, slightly unnerved. "Why did you wake me up?"

"We're being followed," his companions stated in unison. The boy's eyes widened momentarily as this information sank in, and then he groaned and placed a hand to his forehead. He was tired as it was, and the ideas of either running or fighting were extremely unappealing.

"Latios and I will carry you so you can rest," Latias thought to him with a chuckle, sensing his despair. "Go ahead and climb onto my back."

The boy nodded his thanks and stood slowly, slipping the throwing knife into the leather pack he wore on his back. He then tried to do as Latias instructed, but found it difficult to clamber onto the dragon's shoulders due to his injured arm. He finally succeeded with Kairn's help when the boy threaded his fingers together and used his hands as a makeshift foothold, giving Ren enough height to swing his leg over Latias' side. Once settled, he wrapped his good arm around the dragon's neck, and gave sign that he was ready.

The five friends set off at a quick pace, Houndoom leading the way to keep them warm. The pokemon sniffed the air from time to time, and seemed to hasten each time he did so. As a result of this, Kairn soon found it necessary to run to keep up with his companions. He kept on as best he could, but quickly began to feel himself growing tired.

To occupy his mind, he tried to work out why Ren's eyes were changing color. He assumed that the alteration was caused by the boy's link with Latias, but wondered why it had begun to occur now, of all times. He continued to ponder this question until Latios' voice interrupted his musings.

"Ren's eyes are changing because he has acquired an ability from Latias," the dragon stated, sensing his partner's thoughts. "It activated tonight, I believe."

"You mean that Ren has an ability like Ethra?" Kairn asked, recalling the entry in the Eon Chronicles about the woman with the burning touch.

"Yes, although it is much more subtle," the dragon answered. "So subtle, in fact, that I have not yet determined what it does. Ren doesn't seem to have noticed it, either, so it could be some time before we discover what his powers consist of. It will develop over time to become stronger, in any case, but for now we must wait."

Kairn furrowed his eyebrows, deep in thought. To read about these powers in the Chronicles was one thing, but knowing that his friend was actually developing such a power was quite another. He couldn't help trying to guess what the ability could be. Perhaps Ren would acquire greater strength, able to lift heavy objects with ease. Or perhaps it was an ability more in line with Ethra's. Regardless, he could hardly contain his anticipation.

Suddenly, Kairn noticed that Houndoom seemed to be growing frantic. The pokemon increased his pace, and scented the air more frequently. Then, a curious noise began to fill the air. It was a haunting, wavering sound; part howl, part scream, and part lullaby. As Kairn listened to the melody, he felt his skin begin to crawl. Instinctively, he tried to use his mind to render his armor invisible, but found that the song echoing around him was inhibiting his ability to concentrate.

"What is that?" he wondered aloud, putting a voice to the question in each company member's mind. At that instant, the tingling feeling on his skin intensified to feel like thousands of stabbing needles as the wailing rose to a nearly unbearable level. The sound seemed to echo inside his head, reverberating throughout his skull until he was sure it would crack. He stifled a yell, and then put on a burst of speed as his friends did the same.

"Cover your ears!" Latias screamed to each of her companion's minds over the din. They did so, Ren burying one side of his face in Latias' feathers and pressing the other against his shoulder, and found that the effect of the song was lessened. However, a new sound ensued; a grinding, crashing noise that spoke of a great upheaval following in their wake.

Kairn looked back over his shoulder, hands clapped to the sides of his head, and found a scene that was the essence of nightmares. The forest behind him was being literally torn apart. Trees fell in the group's wake, cut down by some unseen force, and slowly collapsed to the ground with an ominous groan. Clouds of disturbed snow flew into the air, and then rushed to overtake the group, as though caught up in a torrential wind. The squall reminded Kairn of a blizzard.

"Latios!" he shouted to the dragon. "Behind us!"

"I see it!" the dragon replied hastily, maneuvering closer to the boy. "Get on! We must risk the cold of flight to escape this!"

Kairn jumped onto Latios' broad back without slowing, and then leaned forward as much as possible to keep from being blown off as the pokemon accelerated. Next to them, Latias had also increased her speed, making Ren's struggle to stay with her much more difficult.

Suddenly, Kairn noticed that a strange shadow was creeping over the red and white dragon's body. It spread over her back, and then came to a stop as it covered Ren's weary form, securing the boy in place. A pair of shining black eyes peered out of the shadow, and Kairn identified them as belonging to Houndoom. He gave a quick nod to the dark form, and then glanced backwards again.

The snowstorm was gaining on them faster than ever, and Kairn was now able to spot glimpses of what appeared to be blades in the upsurge. The metal objects whirled, flashing, creating large vortexes of ice and wind as they seemed to cut through the very air.

Kairn returned his attention forward, and noticed that the company was headed for a clearing. As they entered it, the tempest behind them subsided somewhat from a lack of material, vaguely revealing four figures. At the forefront, a black-cloaked human with two sickles ran with inhuman speed, keeping stride with a white-and-black furred pokemon that Kairn could not identify. Two more darkly-clothed humans followed in the wake of the front runners, and Kairn noticed that they had exceptionally dark shadows. The black areas seemed to steal the light around them, creating the illusion of staring into an endless hole.

As the four figures appeared, the song echoing around the five friends amplified yet again, seeming to ignore the hands and claws clasped around their ears as it forced its way into their heads. Each member of the company began to experience anew the sensation of being pricked with countless needles, and collectively cringed against the pain. They also began to grow fatigued, as though the song were stealing their vitality. To make matters worse, the dragons' feathers were freezing as a result of frigid air blowing over their bodies. They began to slow, bringing themselves and their passengers precariously close to the intimidating figures rushing along in their wake.

A hail of throwing knives began to whip past them, and the dragons were forced to use what little strength they had left to weave out of harm's way. Knowing that this was a temporary solution, Kairn wrenched his sword from its sheath with one hand and yelled to Latios to fly behind Latias. As the dragon moved to do so, Kairn quickly released his hold on the creature's neck and turned around to face their opposition. He slid down most of Latios' back feet first, and then secured a new grip on one of the dragon's wings. From this position, he could brandish his sword without fear of injuring his partner.

Throwing knives arced toward and around the boy at regular intervals, and he did his best to hit each one away with his blade lest they find their mark. His skin raced with burning pain each time he moved, but he was still able to deflect many of the glittering missiles. At one point, one of the blades glanced off of his helm, startling him, but it did not cause any serious damage.

After a few minutes, the throwing knives ceased to appear, and Kairn decided that the cloaked figure wielding them had run out. However, he was now faced with a new problem. The leading figure chasing him and his friends had somehow managed to gather the remainder of the snowstorm into a pair of tight, vicious cyclones. Seeming to command the winds themselves, the man held his sickles to either side, a spiraling flurry of ice contained in the inner arc of each one. The cloaked figure let the tornadoes build for a few more moments, and then whipped his sickles forward in a blindingly-fast motion, sending the twin gales spinning towards the dragons.

Kairn squeezed his eyes shut as the twisters approached, bracing for impact. However, the impact never came. He felt Latios turn quickly, and opened his eyes to see what was happening. The dragon continued to fly, now backwards, and opened his mouth as a deep humming sound overshadowed all other noise. Suddenly, the pokemon whipped his head forward, and a glowing blue sphere pulsed from his jaws accompanied by a sharp report. The sphere impacted one of the cyclones and then burst, creating a small shockwave that knocked both of the dervishes off course. They spun lazily away from their path, tore a few small trees from their roots, and then continued on out of sight.

Latios sent more and more spheres hurtling from his mouth, aiming for their pursuers. None of the attacks hit their intended target, although they did force the cloaked figures to break their stride in order to evade, which slowed them just enough to allow the dragons to pull away. The pain-inducing song also ended, which Kairn deemed to have been coming from the white-and-black furred creature. Latios kept up his barrage until he and Latias had established a comfortable lead, and then returned his attention forward.

It was at this moment that Kairn noticed how much frost had accumulated on the dragon's feathers. The pokemon was literally coated with a thick layer of ice: so much so that the boy could see his reflection in one of the creature's triangle-shaped wings. If they did not stop soon or find a way to keep warm, Latios would freeze to death.

"Houndoom!" he yelled to the shadow wrapped around Latias. The creature's head materialized out of the gloom, peering back at him. "I need you to warm up Latios and Latias," he continued, sending a mental image to the pokemon. The image depicted fire swirling around the dragons, melting the frost that had accumulated on their bodies. It was a desperate tactic, as he and Ren would probably be burned, but this was a desperate situation.

Houndoom hesitated at first, but then sent a billowing jet of flame trailing behind him and into Latios' flight path. Kairn pressed against the dragon as much as possible to protect himself, and shuddered as the fire washed over him. To his surprise, he did not burn. The feathers on his armor seemed to repel the flame, keeping him safe while letting in just enough heat to warm him.

The ice on Latios' body soon melted, and droplets of water trailed behind him as he accelerated to catch up with Latias. Then, after Houndoom had repeated his fiery treatment on her, he took the lead, speeding into the night. The two quickly covered ground, soon leaving their now-enraged enemies far behind in the darkness.

They five friends knew that they had been very lucky to escape this encounter with their lives. In the future, they would not be caught off guard so easily.

--------

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Alright. This chapter took a while because I had a lot of things to do, including school, work and other things. Sorry in that regard.

This chapter is a bit different from my others in that it is very emotionally charged. I've had positive reviews so far from the other site that I post on, but I'm still holding my breath and waiting to see what people think of it. Keep that in mind as you read, and please tell me what you liked/did not like at the end. It will help me make sure I'm taking this in the right directions, if nothing else.

--------

Chapter Twenty-One

The dragons flew throughout the night, only pausing to allow Houndoom to melt the ice that gradually collected on their feathers. Despite their exhaustion, they were spurred on by the desire to put as much distance between themselves and their enemies as possible, and therefore pressed onward without a second thought. As they flew, the forest became less and less dense, until it disappeared altogether and was replaced by rolling, snow covered plains. After a time, dawn brought light to the dark and desolate landscape, painting the otherwise bleak horizon with a maelstrom of vivid colors. It was then that Latias and Latios decided that they desperately needed to rest, and thus the two glided into a small stand of scraggly trees near the base of one of the countless hills that surrounded them.

Once they had landed, Kairn wearily dismounted as Houndoom's shadow detached from Latias, pooling about her in the snow. The fiery pokemon returned to his normal shape and then allowed heat to radiate from his body, quickly creating a circle of dry earth for the company to sleep on. The five members bedded down, not even noticing how uncomfortable the hard ground was as they each fell into a deep slumber.

Around midday, Ren was awakened by snow falling onto his face. He opened his eyes to narrow slits, and noted that the sky was very dark and full of brooding clouds. Then a snowflake fell into one of his eyes, and he sat up quickly as he rubbed it out, gasping at the sudden irritation. Reacting to the movement, Houndoom also woke, his animal instincts bringing him to a state of instant alert. When the pokemon noticed that it was only Ren that had startled him, he relaxed and lay back down again.

As Ren allowed Houndoom a few moments to drift back to sleep, he looked back up at the sky, shielding his eyes with a hand lest another bit of snow find its way to them. The weather spoke of a coming storm, one that was already showing a taste of its power in the form of the white flurry that fell across the landscape. Ren decided that he and his friends would be safe as long as Houndoom was able to keep them warm, but he was slightly worried that this would be a test of the pokemon's abilities. He was especially worried about Latias and Latios, as they seemed to have trouble with the cold.

Then he remembered his injury. Hesitantly, he glanced at his shoulder, and noted that the bandage that covered his wound was deeply stained red by his blood. Curious, he lifted the bandage slightly with his other arm to check on the gash. It was coated in a layer of dry blood, and therefore was thankfully no longer bleeding. Despite its appearance, Ren decided that it could have been much worse, seeing as the knife could have done enough damage to cause him to lose functionality of the arm. He clenched his fist experimentally, and then shuddered at the thought of being bereaved of the use of a limb. He tried to imagine what it would be like and failed: he simply couldn't imagine losing something that was as much a part of him as the snow was a part of winter. Shaking his head, he made an attempt to turn his mind towards other things.

The first thought that came to him was Latios' explanation of why his eyes were changing color. The dragon had explained the previous night that his irises were becoming gold because he had begun to use an ability inherited from Latias: of what nature and form the ability was, however, the dragon seemed to have no idea. Unsatisfied, Ren had tried unsuccessfully to come to a conclusion about his new gift for the remainder of the night, right up until the point that he fell asleep that morning. Now, he dwelled on the puzzle again, determined to discover just what it was that he was capable of.

He pulled the gauntlet off of the hand of his uninjured arm and held it out in front of him, concentrating on the exposed skin. Then he imagined his hand bathed in an intense light, trying to replicate the ability that Ethra had described in the Eon Chronicles. Nothing happened, however, and he let his arm drop to his side. Then he stood to his feet and jumped straight up, imagining himself continuing upwards into the sky, flying like one of the dragons.

He decided as he landed again that he was probably expecting too much of his abilities. Latios had said that most of the powers inherited from the Eon Family were subtle at best, and still took a long time to develop even to that point. It would be better just to wait and see what came of this strange new gift, he concluded, and didn't worry about it any longer.

Instead, he turned his mind to more pressing matters, such as the fact that his stomach had begun to growl loudly and incessantly. He had not eaten since around noon the previous day, and found it to be no small wonder that he should be so hungry. Looking around, he quickly located his leather pack lying in the snow a few feet away where he had discarded it before falling asleep. He pulled it to him, and then began to rummage through its contents, looking for the provisions that Eli had thoughtfully placed inside. He took out two oval shaped loaves of bread, as well as a small earthenware jar of the jam that he and his friends had enjoyed so immensely with their first breakfast at their host's home. After cutting a slice from one of the loaves with the throwing knife that had struck him, he slathered it with a bit of the crimson spread from the jar and began to eat. Then he cut another slice and, after spreading it with jam, took it to Latias' sleeping form.

"Breakfast," he announced quietly to her mind. She stirred at first, and then lifted her head to eye the food he proffered. Next, she glanced up at him, seemingly surprised to see him up and about. She finally rose effortlessly from the ground, her body leaving a small area of compacted earth.

"Thank you," she thought back sleepily as she carefully plucked the food from his hand. As she ate, she studied the sky, seemingly noting just as Ren had how foreboding the weather had become. "We're in for quite a storm," she thought to her partner, the slightest hint of worry edging her mind's voice.

"I know," Ren responded.

Then he became confused. Latias had never seen a true winter storm before: she had only been hatched a little less than two months ago, and the worst weather she had seen was a heavy snowfall. How did she know that a dark, cloudy sky signified trouble? He asked her.

"Griffith did more than just teach me about the Eon Chronicles," she answered. "He told me a lot about the world, mostly using his own memories as examples, and storms were just one of the things he described." She paused for a few moments, deep in thought. "He also told me about something he called 'oceans'. He said they are huge bodies of water, even bigger than lakes, which stretch endlessly in front of you and to the sides if you stand on the shore. He said that he had visited only one in his life, but that he would never forget it. When I asked him why, he sent me a mental image of what he had seen." She closed her eyes, savoring the memory. "It was beautiful…"

"It sounds boring to me," Ren thought back after a moment, gazing off into the distance. Latias looked at him questioningly, her eyes betraying that she had taken offense at the comment.

"Boring?" She repeated the word, trying to work out why Ren would apply it to something that to her was so majestic. "Why boring?"

"Well, maybe not boring…but I…" Ren stammered, his face growing red. "I don't like water," he uttered quickly.

"You don't like water?" Latias tried to suppress a laugh, and failed. "But you drink it every day. What's not to like?"

"I don't mind drinking it, but…lakes and things…how can I put it?" he sighed, trying to decide what to say. "I almost drowned in a river once. I've never really gone near water since, or at least large amounts of it," he declared finally.

"You almost drowned?" Latias asked, turning to face him directly, making no effort to conceal her concern. "What happened?"

Ren hesitated, remembering the event. He thought about how he had fallen into the frozen river two years previous, and how his brother had come in after him. Should he tell Latias about Bron, or was it best he didn't say anything? He hadn't talked about his brother for almost the entirety of the two years since the incident of his death. It would be like raising him from the dead, and he wasn't sure if he could handle thinking about Bron for more than a few fleeting moments. He had tried so hard and for so long to bury his sadness: talking about his brother's passing would simply tear open old wounds.

"I was out hunting around two years ago," he started to answer. "I followed a game trail to a frozen river, and found that it went across the ice. To save time, I decided to cross on the ice as well, hoping to catch up with the game more quickly. When I got to the middle of the river, the ice cracked, and I fell through into the water."

"That's terrible!" Latias exclaimed. "How did you get out?"

"At first I was disoriented from the fall and the cold, but then I noticed the sunlight streaming through the hole my body had created," Ren said, breaking eye contact with his friend. "The current was very strong under the ice, and at first I though I wasn't going to make it, but I somehow managed to swim back to the surface and pull myself out."

He looked down at his hands, feeling utterly guilty for lying to avoid talking about his brother. This wasn't right. It was as if he had betrayed Bron somehow, as if refusing to talk about him did him a vast injustice. He imagined he could feel his brother's presence behind him, stare boring into his back, pained eyes radiating disapproval. He hadn't anticipated this feeling, but it nearly made him sick.

Latias detected Ren's inner turmoil without even needing to look into his mind. "What is it?" she asked.

"It's…nothing." he said, immediately feeling even worse. He knew he should just tell the truth; that Latias would probably understand. But if he thought this, then what was the problem? What was holding him back? He hesitated for a moment, completely lost.

Then, he realized the answer. When Bron died saving him, Ren had felt personally responsible for his brother's death. If he hadn't fallen through the ice, Bron would have never had to jump in and therefore would have never had to die. Ren felt that bringing up the subject of his brother's demise would be an admission of guilt: in describing how Bron had died, Ren would be condemning himself. But would keeping the event in secrecy help him, or would it be even more of an injustice to his brother? Shouldn't Latias know that he was to blame for the death of another? Ren's face took on the look of someone enduring great torture, which Latias immediately picked up on

"Ren?" she urged. "What—"

"I lied," Ren cut her off. He turned to look straight at her, his eyes dark and haunted, the gold streaks within them glowing softly in contrast. "I didn't pull myself out of the water. It was my brother…he was with me and he dove in after me," he finished quickly, desperate to just have the words out.

"You have a brother?" Latias interjected.

"Had," he said, his mind's voice seeming to come from elsewhere. "His name was Bron," he continued quietly. "After pulling me out of the river, he carried me home, which was a two day's journey through snow. We were both soaked to the bone from the river, which made the cold even worse. He carried me, keeping me warm and safe, but that made the journey even harder for him. He got sick…"

"I see," Latias said, filling in Ren's pause. She placed a claw on his shoulder, and simply allowed silence to ensue, her persona radiating sympathy.

She didn't pass judgment, Ren noticed. In fact, she did not even seem to think what he dreaded so acutely she would: that he had killed Bron. How could she not see it? He pondered the question, gazing unseeingly across the landscape. The snow had begun to fall more heavily, covering the world in a billowing, fluttering sheet of impenetrable white.

"I miss him," he thought to her finally, breaking the quiet in their minds. "He just…was always there. He always seemed to be around when I needed him. And he always seemed to care more about others than himself," Ren paused, feeling a painful lump form in his throat. "Me," he continued. "He cared more about me. Even when it was dangerous, he put me first." At this point, Ren's eyes began to water, and he hung his head. "And it killed him," he whispered. "It killed him!"

This was it. There was no way that Latias could overlook the fact that he was responsible for his brother's death. Ren braced himself, preparing for however she would choose to confront him for what he had done. However, her answer threw him completely off guard.

"He loved you, Ren," she said, her eyes watering as well. "I can tell by what he did that he cared the world for you."

"And it killed him!" Ren shouted out loud, becoming angry at Latias' failure to see his shortcoming. Kairn, Latios, and Houndoom all awoke, startled by his sudden vocalization. "He cared for me, and look what it did to him!" he cried.

Latias shot a quick, stern glance at the other party members, who were all staring at Ren. They turned away, catching the meaning of her glare. It meant "This is a private conversation, and you're not invited."

Once she had deterred the others, Latias turned back to Ren. "We should talk elsewhere," she thought-spoke to him, and then floated low to the ground. Before Ren knew what was happening, she had swept sideways into his legs, causing him to fall across her back. She began to fly, slowly at first, until her passenger had secured his good arm around her neck. She then sealed them both in a layer of light created from the sparse luminescence filtering through the falling snow, and began to pick up speed. Finally, a blast of sound exploded around them and all became utterly silent.

--------

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Yep, this fic is finally back from the grave. It took me four months to write this chapter, but here it is regardless. Sorry for the wait.

--------

Chapter Twenty-Two

Light. It filled Latias' vision as she flew, blocking out all else. She felt as though she was floating perfectly still in a glowing void, although she knew she was flying at speeds she could only guess at. The bright layer she had summoned to protect herself from the cold and turbulent atmosphere worked in conjunction with the falling snow to create this bizarre illusion, which made her feel utterly isolated from the now-invisible world. This feeling was further heightened by the absolute silence that enshrouded her, causing her to question whether the world was truly there at all. It was as if she had strayed from the real into the unreal, from a place that could be sensed to a place devoid of sensation. To her, it was both soothing and slightly harrowing, as she was simultaneously comforted by the welcome lack of disruption but unsettled by the fact that she didn't know where she was going or what lay ahead.

At that moment, however, her destination was not her immediate concern. She had brought Ren with her into the sky so that they could talk freely and privately, but both of them had grown quiet. Their conversation had more or less ended the second they began to fly: the interruption had created a pause in their discussion, and the momentum behind their communication vanished as a result.

Thus, they flew in silence. Latias knew that this would not help Ren at all, but she wasn't sure what to do. She was aware that she would probably have to be the one to reengage the conversation, but every time she was about to speak, she thought better of the words she had chosen and withdrew her mind from Ren's. Nothing she could think of seemed sufficient or helpful enough to say. As the silence between them grew, she began to feel more and more awkward. She decided that she had been too hasty in bringing him up here: she had wanted to go somewhere where they both could converse confidentially and undisturbed, but if she didn't know how to help him, then what was the point? She had never lost a loved one, and therefore didn't even truly know how Ren felt. Her empathic connection with the boy gave her some idea, but it wasn't the same as if she had been in a similar situation.

She was considering simply turning around and flying back to the others when she sensed a glimmer of amusement emanate from Ren's mind. The boy had been despairing over the memory of his brother's loss; this had prevented him from speaking to her, but it hadn't prevented his feelings from seeping across their mental connection. Now it seemed that Ren had recalled a fonder memory, one that made him momentarily forget his darker recollections.

"What's so funny?" Latias asked him, her mind's voice sounding strange after such a long silence.

Ren seemed startled for a moment, obviously not expecting her to speak. "What?"

"Right. That's what I asked you," Latias teased, trying to lighten the mood. However, Ren didn't seem to understand, and his mind registered confusion at her statement. She sighed and rephrased the question. "What are you thinking about?"

"My brother, mostly," the boy replied. "…Why?" he added after a brief pause.

"I'm just curious," Latias answered. After a moment, she added, "Would you mind sharing with me?"

"You want to see what I'm thinking?" Her passenger sounded slightly surprised.

"If it isn't too much to ask," the dragon thought back quickly, suddenly worrying that Ren might be feeling pressured. He had already made himself very vulnerable by sharing with her about his brother. If he did not wish to continue revealing his personal thoughts, she didn't want to make him feel obligated to do so.

The boy considered her question for a long time before answering. "If you wish," he replied finally, if not slightly hesitantly. Then he widened the pathway between their minds, and allowed her to look in on his thoughts.

The first image that Latias was confronted with depicted Ren's brother, Bron. She could tell by the way the young man was smiling that he and Ren were engaged in a lighthearted conversation, although she could not discern what about. Their voices were indistinct at best, even becoming completely silent at times. This caused her to wonder if the memory was fading from Ren's mind, slowly being erased by the onslaught of time.

In any case, Bron had a similar appearance to Ren, except his auburn hair was much longer than his younger brother's, falling nearly all the way to his shoulders. His green and brown eyes were soft and mirthful in the image, but they had an intensity about them that hinted that he had seen harsh times. His face was drawn, and although he was smiling, his appearance suggested that he was always enduring a very subtle pain. It struck Latias then that Ren had possessed a similar air about him when they first met, as though he were harboring some inner burden. The look had lessened over time…or had she become accustomed to it? She was trying to decide when the image changed.

The new scene portrayed a time near the end of summer, the trees just beginning to change from vivid green to a brilliant orange. A few leaves dotted the lush grass, standing out like tongues of fire in the otherwise emerald landscape. Latias saw that Ren and Bron were languishing behind a pile of firewood, sharing a large chunk of honeycomb that they had apparently stolen from their parents' Combee hives. Their father suddenly called for them from a ways off, and they both tried not to laugh as they began to eat faster. Just as they finished, their father came around the side of the woodpile, and they gazed innocently at him as he eyed them suspiciously.

However, when their father did not stop staring, the brothers took on a look of guilt and averted their eyes from his incriminating scrutiny. Seeing their expressions, their father burst out laughing, and brought out something he had been holding behind his back: another piece of honeycomb. He broke the treat into three segments, keeping one for himself and offering the other two to his children. Ren glanced at Bron warily, obviously thinking that this must be some kind of trick: weren't they supposed to be in trouble? His brother was smirking, however, and simply shrugged as he accepted his portion of the honeycomb. Seeing this, Ren relaxed, and did the same. Then their father sat with them and they all began to eat, laughing and joking until the sun sank low.

This memory melted away as well, only to be replaced by another. It was mid-fall, and the world was filled with oranges and browns and yellows. The colors suggested warmth, but according to Ren's thoughts a chill wind was moving across the land, and Latias shivered despite the fact that she wasn't physically cold. She spied Ren and Bron once more, both younger than in the last memory, and saw that the latter was leaning over the former's shoulders and helping him hold a bow and arrow. They drew the string back in unison, much farther than either of them could have accomplished alone, until Latias could hear the wood of the bow creaking in protest. Bron spoke quietly to Ren for a few moments, both of them peering intently at some spot in the distance. Then they let the arrow fly, and it sped thorough the air for a few hundred yards before burying itself to the feathers in and through a small sapling. Ren ran after it, whooping and laughing as his brother followed with the bow, beaming with pride…

And then, suddenly, the memory disappeared into darkness, seeming to have been cut off. Startled, Latias took note of her surroundings, wondering why Ren had ceased to communicate with her. She had been so absorbed by Ren's past that she hadn't been paying attention to the present. Strangely, however, she couldn't tell the difference between the two. The air around her appeared to have been replaced with the landscape of Ren's last memory, as though the scene had come to life and she was a part of it.

"Ren…what happened?" she asked, looking in every direction and finding only amber-colored trees and swirling leaves. "Where are we?"

"We're still flying," the boy answered, his mind's voice sounding shaken. "Latias…you're doing this. It's an illusion."

The dragon was taken aback. "I'm…? But…how?" she pondered. Then she asked, "What makes you think I'm causing this?"

"Your eyes are glowing."

They both grew silent again, staring bewilderedly at the sight unfolding about them. It was a perfect replication of the memory Ren had sent Latias a moment before: not a thing was out of place. Latias felt she could very well reach out and grasp one of the leaves that occasionally drifted by.

It was then that Ren sent her another memory. As if on cue, the air around her came alive, colors swirling and blending into one another until a new scene had formed. Springtime, and Bron was giving Ren a knife throwing lesson. The wooden blade arced through Latias' view, and she turned her head just in time to see it embed itself in a circle carved into a tree trunk. Bron clapped Ren heartily on the back, and then they raced each other to retrieve the blade.

Memory after memory followed this, pouring through Latias' mind, each event being woven into the alternate reality that she was creating. She watched Ren's life play before her eyes, each scene bringing some remembered emotion or sensation. It was mostly fond memories, but after a time Ren seemed to slip on occasion and show Latias something he didn't intend. She only saw these kinds of memories for a brief moment before Ren caught himself, but the little she did see frightened her. She saw Ren being beaten by a group of older boys, their blows coming at her as though she was the one on the receiving end. She saw her companion lying in bed and starving, eyes clinched shut in an effort to ignore his aching stomach and fall asleep. Kairn shouting taunts at him as he ran away from an obviously unfair fight yet another time, the former bully and his Houndour attacking if he didn't run away.

Latias recoiled at some of the more violent memories, flinching away from the all-too-realistic scenes she was herself creating. She was even forced to close her eyes once or twice, such as when one of Ren's ribs was broken during an especially vile attack from his tormentors. The episode played on lucidly behind her eyelids, however, as Ren had not yet curbed the thought. She heard the sickening, muted snap of bone and watched as the boy crumpled to the ground amid a smattering of laughter.

She began crying after that incident, her tears running back across her face and instantly freezing as they streamed away from her light-protected body and into the frigid air. The images were becoming too intense, and although Latias wished she could take them on, she was eventually forced to ask Ren to stop. However, he did not do so. He seemed to have lost himself to his thoughts, reliving them almost in a trance without noticing the toll they were taking on her. She asked him once again to stop, this time more urgently, and afterwards yet again when he still did not cease.

Latias was contemplating landing to check on why Ren wasn't listening to her when the nightmare began. She suddenly found herself intensely cold and inexplicably without breath, which caused her to gasp in shock. That gasp drew an icy liquid into her mouth, which ran down her throat and into her lungs, causing her chest to burn with a stabbing frigidity. She began to cry harder, now due to sheer terror. It was as though she were drowning.

Drowning. Latias' eyes widened, and she fought desperately against her tears to see what was happening around her. She saw that a ghostly light was falling about her in wavering shafts, revealing that she seemed to be underwater. She looked up and saw the sun, a freakish white color, staring down at her through the dark water as though it were some disembodied eye. The pain in her lungs increased, and a dread-filled and agonized roar erupted from her throat, although it was borne on liquid instead of air.

"Stop Ren!" she screamed in her head, only to once again find that he didn't answer. Horror stricken, she wondered if this wasn't another of his memories. Perhaps this was reality; the situation felt much more genuine than what Ren had been showing her up to this point. Had she accidentally landed in a river or lake? It would be too costly to assume otherwise, so she mustered her strength and began struggling towards the surface. She made some headway, but her strength was almost immediately depleted by the glacial water and her lack of air. In a different approach, she tried to gather what little light was around her into a protective barrier, but there simply wasn't enough to be effective.

She realized after a few moments of panicked deliberation that she didn't have any other methods of escape, and as a creeping numbness began to course through her body, she sank into despair. There was no way out of this situation, and she was going to die. Not quite ready to accept what was happening to her, she looked around her with what little consciousness she had left in an attempt to spot Ren. The boy was nowhere to be found, however, so she dejectedly turned her eyes upwards and tried to come to grips with her unexpected and devastating fate. How could this have happened? She thought she had been flying at a safe altitude…was it even possible that she had strayed this far off course? It happened so fast; there had been no warning, no sign to show her the danger.

Sensing that her end was near, Latias couldn't help but reflect on what could have…no…should have been. After all, was she not being cut down before her life had truly even begun? She thought forlornly that the burden of finding the Eon Chronicles would fall solely on the remainder of the group, and that they would have a more difficult time opposing the evil spreading across the land. The five friends had already been given a taste of the dark powers at work in the world: Latias couldn't imagine the responsibility being heaped upon the others should she die. That responsibility was her creed, as much a part of her as her ancient lineage. To fail in her duty would make her life effectively forfeit.

Aside from all that, what about experiencing the richness of the world? Namely, what about her friends? She had developed a profound and personal relationship with her four companions, but she didn't think for a second that they had already become as close as was possible. They had just begun to develop a deep-rooted bond, and already she was being torn from them. The thought left her with a burning sense of injustice. What kind of fate was this, to give her a taste of life and then take it away so soon? She recalled with no minor sorrow that she had not even seen the ocean yet.

"I'm not done!" she shouted in defiance of the darkness threatening to overcome her vision, imagining that she must be delirious for doing so and choking back a sob. "I need more time…"

As if in answer, a shadow moved abruptly across the sun, and something landed in the water above her. The object sent the surface into violent unrest and shattered the sunlight as though it were glass. She sensed the object…no…the being move near her in the water, and then felt arms wrap around her body. The touch sent the sensation of needle pricks running across her feathered hide, shocking her if only momentarily back into a fragile state of awareness. Whatever had come for her then began to move purposefully upward, bearing her swiftly towards the surface in a strong embrace. Once she was free of the water, she automatically tried to breath, sluggish though her mind was. Nevertheless, she realized she couldn't force the water from her lungs, and then found that whatever was carrying her was beginning to tighten its grip. She writhed in protest, feeling as though her chest were being crushed, but then suddenly retched up a copious amount of water and found that chilly air was entering her lungs. She took a few short, ragged breaths, and then coughed out more liquid as her lungs began to empty themselves on their own.

"Don't be afraid," her rescuer said soothingly after she had taken a few more gulps of air. "You'll be alright."

Latias went rigid at the words, momentarily forgetting in her stunned state her present situation and that she needed to breathe. The way the phrase was said...the exact tone of voice…it matched something deep within her; something that she had not known was there. It was a single, short memory, one that contained those words exactly as they had been uttered. Along with the phrase was something else; a fleeting image of blue and white, textured as though comprised of feathers. She knew instantly what the memory depicted, but found it nearly impossible to believe. And yet…

Fighting against her weariness and her doubt, she formed a single word in her mind, and then pushed it questioningly at the being that now held her. "Father?"

Kairn sat cross-legged in the middle of the clearing the party had slept on the previous night, holding his sides and staring dully at the area in front of him. He had decided a while back, along with Latios and Houndoom, that an explanation for Latias and Ren's strange behavior and departure would be provided upon their return. Once this conclusion had been reached, the three had grown silent, stalled in their travels until the others returned.

This silence proved hostile to Kairn, who remembered soon the horrors of the previous day and night. The thoughts brought him great distress, so much that he felt ill as he had during the previous evening. He felt cold although the area was relatively warm due to Houndoom's influence, and was trying very hard to dwell on something besides the visions of carnage that played through his mind.

Latios noticed the boy's discomfort, and mercifully hovered over to engage his attention. "Are you hungry?" the dragon asked, quickly trying to turn Kairn's thoughts to something as mundane as possible. The boy shook his head indicating the negative, so Latios landed facing him and gave his best effort to appear relaxed. The gesture had a visible impact on Kairn, whose anxiety began to disappear in no subtle way upon seeing his friend in a state of calm.

"What were those blue orbs?" the boy asked suddenly. "The ones you used to counter the whirlwinds last night?"

Latios pondered the question for a moment. He hadn't really thought while using the technique: he had simply known that his body was capable of the ability, and had used it as the circumstances required. It was no different than using his claws or his teeth to fight, although looking back at the situation he deemed that it was indeed strange.

"It was more or less a roar I suppose," he said after a few more moments of reflection. "Although it required a great deal more air and I had to expel it all at once. I also contained it with a small amount of light, which must have given it that blue glow you noticed." The dragon grew silent and appeared deep in thought, until finally he nodded as though he had tested his words and found them to be a satisfactory explanation. "Now I have a question," he added. "You mentioned yesterday that you believe Latias formed the mental connection you share with Houndoom." He glanced at the black and orange pokemon, who was curled up and asleep nearby. "You said she was linking your minds so that you could communicate with each other, as you had been injured to the point of unconciousness. What exactly happened to you?"

Kairn knew that Latios was only concerned for his well being, but he couldn't help but fear answering the dragon's question. How could he explain that he had abandoned Houndoom while the pokemon had still been a Houndour, the result of which had been both of them nearly dying? What would that do to Latios' opinion of him? He hesitated, wanting to be truthful, but also wondering if it would be wiser to lie about what had happened. The anxiety he had felt before returned, and he felt paralyzed as Latios studied his face, looking at him more and more inquisitively as awkward seconds passed.

Abruptly, images began to flood into his thoughts, and the familiar burning sensation that represented Houndoom's telepathic link with him grew strong. Latios' expression changed to one of surprise as the images also came to him, and they both waited silently as Houndoom sent them a visual representation of the events in question. The pokemon began with being lost in the forest, skipping his abandonment by Kairn entirely. He showed himself wandering through the trees, near exhaustion, trying to find food in order to keep up his strength. Then he showed Kairn elsewhere in the forest, equally lost, calling out his name and desperately trying to locate him. Houndoom then advanced the story until he arrived at Griffith's home, and continued ahead until Kairn also made it to the old man's cottage. He depicted how they had been rendered unconscious by their lack of strength, and how they had lost their will to live, thinking they would never see each other again. In conclusion, he illustrated how Latias had bridged their minds in order to show them that they were indeed together, and exemplified their recovery process from that point.

In this version of telling, Kairn knew he was depicted as a compassionate friend, and felt he hardly deserved it. He looked at Houndoom with shame and remorse in his eyes, but the other stared back with nothing short of devotion.

"Thank you," he mouthed to the pokemon, partly for his intervention in the conversation but mostly for the undying sense of loyalty the creature expressed. Kairn decided he would repay Houndoom by making good use of the second chance he had been given; he would strive for betterment, using the best of his abilities to prove that he was worth the risk.

Love was a funny thing. It had a way of overlooking even the greatest of wrongs, while simultaneously turning the wrongdoer from his actions.

No response came after Latias inquired as to her rescuer's identity, so she opened one of her eyes to a slit and glanced at him. She noticed instantly that the being was not her father, as he was not in fact a Latios, but a human. The young man had long red hair, and as Latias glanced up at his face from her position cradled under one of his arms, she noticed that he had hazel colored eyes. Recognition instantly registered in her mind: it was Bron.

But of course it would be Bron. Latias began to feel foolish, realizing that she was still being subjected to one of Ren's memories. So this had been the illusion she was creating all along, realistic as it had seemed.

"Ren," she tried to say, but her mind's voice came across almost inaudibly. She was still recovering from the simulated fatigue that the boy's memory had imparted to her, and she gave herself a few moments to recuperate before trying again.

The second time she hailed him, Ren ceased sending her his memory, and the illusion that Latias was creating from it faded away. She sighed in relief. "Yes?" the boy asked, sounding as though he had just been shaken from sleep.

"Next time, please answer me when I ask you to stop." She couldn't quite keep the exhaustion out of her tone.

"You asked me to…?" Ren's mind radiated bewilderment at Latias' statement, as he had not heard her before. Then he realized what he had been thinking about, and what Latias had been doing with those thoughts. "Oh lord…you don't mean…?"

"I do mean," Latias answered bluntly, unable to call forth the mental stamina for a longer answer. "But don't worry about it," she gently added when she noticed that Ren was dismayed with her response. "I'll be fine."

"No, you won't be fine!" The intensity and resolve in Ren's mental voice took Latias aback.

"I am quite sure I will be," she responded, sounding anything but.

"You don't understand, do you?" Ren asked enigmatically, somehow managing to sound condescending and sensitive simultaneously. "How can you not see it? I did it to my brother, and now I'm doing it to you…Latias, I'm hurting you."

"That's absurd," Latias retorted, although she was beginning to understand at last how the boy viewed his brother's death. He thought himself personally responsible, and the thought had twisted his mind. Ren now felt that his mere presence brought pain to others.

"Think about it," Ren was saying. "You allowed Eli to pull your feathers so that he could create the armor I'm wearing. You had to rescue me last night when I was knocked off of your back by that Ariados' web, thereby placing yourself in danger when you could have simply escaped had I not been there. And just now I subjected you to what I hold to be the worst experiences I've ever had. You always put up with my shortcomings, and always try to help me. You're so much like him…" The boy trailed off, but Latias knew he was thinking of Bron. "I'm afraid that I'm going to have the same effect on you as I did on him," he finished quietly. Latias could feel him trembling, painfully denoting the sincerity of his words.

"You're afraid for me?" The dragon's words made her sound incredulous. She would have laughed under any brighter circumstances. "I should be the one worrying about you! Why do you think you need that armor in the first place? Why do you think those creatures attacked yesterday? Ren, you aren't the source of my problems…I am. The evil growing in the world seeks me, not you. I do what I do for you because you have chosen to accompany me as I complete the task that is my birthright. I don't have the option of quitting: you always do. Whenever I help you, or do something for you, it is my attempt to thank you for your decision to stay with me despite the dangers we will face. It's the least I can offer in return for your friendship. Don't you understand?" she turned his own question against him.

Ren became silent, thinking about what Latias had told him. She allowed him to do so, continuing on with other matters. "Now then. We should probably take the Eon Chronicles that Eli gave us to Griffith," she said, more to herself than to her passenger. "I would imagine he has finished the saddles he was making for us by now, which should prove useful. It's a bit difficult for you to fight and for me to fly when you have to hold on to me with one arm. After that, we would obviously continue searching for the rest of the Chronicles."

Right around the time she finished this statement, she found that she was no longer flying through a snowstorm, but through open air. The change in atmosphere lasted only about as long as she could blink, as she was back in the blizzard almost instantly. However, her eyes had detected what she had flown through and the image stayed etched in her vision. She had been inside a sphere of pure air, which was housing a creature with an elongated green body, white claws on short forearms, and red fangs set in a reptilian head. Four spines swept back from that head, and a pair of black and yellow eyes had stared briefly at her as she rushed past.

She was amazed at the sight, and recalled the creature from a story that Griffith had taught her while she was still in the egg. The being was a Rayquaza, an ancient ouroboros that dwelled in the sky. Riding atop the Rayquaza, she had seen a human in shining golden armor. According to the legends, a member of the ouroboros race would only allow one very specific individual to ride it.

The king.

--------

ProtrainerEon

Ultimate Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2021
Hey! I remember reading this in my early days at PC.

At first I thought it was before I joined and that was why the memory is so faint, but after checking the post and my join date, I'm not so sure. X_X

Anyway, it's obvious what attracted me to this fic in the first place.

Also, when I went to the first post, I recognized that first chapter and it activated an old memory somewhere in the back of my head.

More to the point...

I wish you luck on this. I may check back in and read to the current chapter.

So, yeah. Bye.

Note: Reading part of the latest post reminded me of Eragon. :P

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Note: Reading part of the latest post reminded me of Eragon. :P

...Really? Wow. I've read Eragon, and I actually wrote the chapter and I can't for the life of me think of any similar elements.

Anyways, glad to have you possibly reading again! You're my first responder in about six months, lol.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
wow i love this so far. i have not read all of the chapters yet. i am going to print them off and read them tonight. i SUCK at English, so don't count on me for advice on grammar.

Buoysel

Years
Before I start my message I would like to take the time to say that I am a horrible speller. I use spell check but it cannot help me with names, and some other words, so sorry it something is misspelled in advanced.
--------
Ok so I have read it all, it took all night, literally I got no sleep last night. Hehe I need to learn to manage my time better.

First thing I would like to say is that you are a good writer. I like the story form what I have read. I simply can't wait until you post the next chapter. I am going to tell you a few short things I that I have found myself pondering. You do not have to change things. It is simply my option of how the story could be better.

The first thing I noticed is that when Latias is hatched I did not see a size description of her. Later, in chapter seven you say "she [FONT=&quot]was already nearly as tall as he." But this only made me wonder even more how big she was when she hatched. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While on the subject of Latias, I like how in the first part of the story you said: "You can keep eating," she continued confused, not noticing Ren's reason for dropping the fruit. "I already ate my fill."". I like this bit because it shows that the Pokèmon sees extremes differently than we do.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I would like to see more of all of the charters personality. I am going to use Eragon as an example. In Eargon, Shaparia has a since of humor that is displayed by her actions. When Eragon asks Shaparia if that if Eragon is all she can say. She replies, "yes". Then when Eargon tells Shaparia to Keep Bruam safe, she littler kidnaps him sort of. When Eragon burst into the scene Shaparia nearly takes his head off, and she apologies by saying ops.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This one kind of ties into the last paragraph but I am putting it separate. We do not get to know Latios very well. Right now I am not sure of some of his intentions, is he a good guy? Is it meant to be that way?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is something else but I can't remember at this time so I will post it when I think of it. I like your story a lot, thanks for posting it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

txteclipse

The Last
Years
wow i love this so far. i have not read all of the chapters yet. i am going to print them off and read them tonight. i SUCK at English, so don't count on me for advice on grammar.

Glad you're liking it so far! And don't worry too much about the English thing...writing is so much more than getting words together correctly, although that is a big part of it. I noted in your second post that you're more concerned with character development and plot, which is actually a very good thing for me. Most of my critiques have been about grammar; very few have been about the plot or character development. For that reason, I think you're going to be an invaluable reader.

I worry sometimes that what I'm saying isn't coming across right or well, and I'm not talking about sentence structure or word use or any of that. What I mean is that I want people to be absorbed by my writing and get as excited about it as I do. I want you all to understand my characters and sympathize with them, to share in their struggles and triumphs, to truly know them. I want my imagery to be detailed and vibrant, giving you a clear and stunning image of the world I'm trying to create, making you feel as though you've been transported there. And I want to blend fantasy and reality into the events in my book, allowing you to correlate your daily life with what happens and yet still be awestruck by the sheer impossibility and wonder of it all.

To put it plainly, writing is nothing if the reader takes nothing from it. You can have the greatest grammar skills in the world, but if there's no soul, the work is dead. Writing is an engine to express ideas and feelings, to portray the world your own personal way and show how you see things. If you can write by that code, by pouring a bit of yourself into your work, then you've done your job as a writer. I can only hope I'm living up to that; it's up to you all to tell me if I'm hitting the mark.

Buoysel

Years
*notices new post and rushes to thread, realizes its not a new chapter and gets disappointed*

I think you're going to be an invaluable reader.

Wow me invaluable reader?!?!? *blushes* ah shuckses

tell me if I'm hitting the mark.

You hit the bull eyes in the dead center, you could not have gotten closer. It took me five hours to read all the chapters, I forgot to sleep that night.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
Yet another reply where I just want to say wow, Astinus, disable the limit for me!;;

Around 5 o' clock, here I am, PC has fallen asleep for the most part outside of Other Trivia... Just turned on some relaxing music, reading your reply on another fic to find that lovely banner in your signature. Seeing as I've recently been diving into fan fictions here at PokéCommunity, I thought "Well, PC is silent as a leaf anywho, let's give it a go!"

I've only read four chapters so far, and I have to say this is top on my "Make sure you read this fic" list. o_o At first, when I saw the date of the thread, I thought "oh dang, with my luck it'll be outdated D:" and was about to leave, but as my eyes locked onto the first paragraph... wow. And I was pretty happy when I saw the 4 pages and that this isn't just another incredible fic lost into the abyss of PC. (Database eats people like that too)

So anyway, I'm caught txteclipse, you've reeled me in. =D I'm also quite appauled this has so little replies, probably just speechless, or can't handle walls of text? XD Text (Yes, your new name from me) I love your fic. I can't really give constructive advise here, as I find your imagery, storyline, and everything overall just great. You can bet I'll reply to every chapter here on out. Though maybe you're almost done? I wouldn't know yet, but keep it up. So far; in the first four chapters, I have to say, my favourite part was when Latias flew through the forrest to then unleash the sonic boom. That was simply awesome. I know this isn't much help, and sorry if this seems too bland and unhelpful, but I'm really enjoying this. Another point I liked, is that I was never lost, seems you made sure that you didn't lose your reader. Well, you're having great success with staying on track then, from I've read so far. ;D Thank you, Text, well done. I'm looking forward to reading your other chapt--- *goes back to reading*

[/HA ASTINUS EAT THAT FOR CONSTRUCTIVE CRITS] >8D

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
So anyway, I'm caught txteclipse, you've reeled me in. =D

Haha! Now you shall never escape >:D I mean umm...

XD Text (Yes, your new name from me) I love your fic.

Well that's awesome. I enjoy having people enjoy my writing, which I enjoy writing. I'm also constantly liking my screen name more...it hints that I like to write, although the "txt" part amazingly doesn't stand for "text". Or maybe it does...it's the name of a spaceship in a game I like, and they never really say what the "txt" means. Hmmm.

You can bet I'll reply to every chapter here on out. Though maybe you're almost done?

Sweet. I'll try to devise a method to alert you and others when I get chapters out. And no: I am nowhere even nearly remotely close to anything resembling even part-way done. Long long long way to go. And there's at least one book after this one.

So far; in the first four chapters, I have to say, my favourite part was when Latias flew through the forrest to then unleash the sonic boom.

That's one of my favorite scenes, as well. Although there's one later that beats it...I won't spoil it, even though it's technically already out.

Another point I liked, is that I was never lost, seems you made sure that you didn't lose your reader.

It gets slightly convoluted later on, although I hope not too bad. It reverts back to straightforwardness fairly quickly.

So yeah. I'm going to start pounding out the next chapter, which must be out before the 24th, or bad things will occur (I go on vacation for like three weeks on that day). Must...finish...in...a...timely...manner...

Last edited:

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
Haha! Now you shall never escape >:D I mean umm...

Well that's awesome. I enjoy having people enjoy my writing, which I enjoy writing. I'm also constantly liking my screen name more...it hints that I like to write, although the "txt" part amazingly doesn't stand for "text". Or maybe it does...it's the name of a spaceship in a game I like, and they never really say what the "txt" means. Hmmm.

Well, that nickname sticks with you from here... onward. >:D

Text said:
Sweet. I'll try to devise a method to alert you and others when I get chapters out. And no: I am nowhere even nearly remotely close to anything resembling even part-way done. Long long long way to go. And there's at least one book after this one.

Okay, great, that's a relief. :D And how about visitor message? Should be pretty easy to alert us on profiles. ;)

Text said:
That's one of my favorite scenes, as well. Although there's one later that beats it...I won't spoil it, even though it's technically already out.

Awesome, looking forward to it. ;D I may have already read it? I'm already up to the part where they're about to journey out and look for the missing pages. And up to that point, the main interesting part has to be when the Murkrow and such were wiped clean from the snow. And how Latios obtained the Eon knowledge. o_o Very interesting. And those eyes that followed them, many thoughts running through my mind on the possible sources.

Another thing, Ren only seems to injure something when he is forced to protect. Such as the family food, or the group with Murkrow. Makes me wonder whether this could be a weakness in the future? Hmm. And ah, Kairn is a good guy... now. I was expecting him to use Latios in a bad way, turn Eon on Eon. XD Haha.

Keep it up, Text! :D

Back