• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Eon Chronicles

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
Years
This fanfic is quite awesome. Certainly one of the best I've read in a long time. Being a huge Latias/Latios fan myself, I like having a fanfic where they're involved. :) Reading the first few chapters and the more recent ones, your skills have improved by quite a bit.

My one question is why Latias and Latios don't seem to interact with each other much. Being the same species, I would think they would be as close to each other as their respective partners.

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
This fanfic is quite awesome. Certainly one of the best I've read in a long time. Being a huge Latias/Latios fan myself, I like having a fanfic where they're involved. :) Reading the first few chapters and the more recent ones, your skills have improved by quite a bit.

My one question is why Latias and Latios don't seem to interact with each other much. Being the same species, I would think they would be as close to each other as their respective partners.

Thanks for reading, and my skills definitely have improved. As for the Latios/Latias thing, I actually noticed that myself. I intend to have them be more open with each other soon.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Swordplay is something that takes years to learn and become expert at, so I hope you don't have Ren or Kairn be too good of swordsmen too early. Things that make little logical sense get on my nerves more than anything else in an otherwise well-written story. How long was Ren training for?

Ren's been at it for roughly two months now, and Kairn nearly that amount of time. They actually really only know the basics of fighting at the moment: they haven't gotten into real swordfights yet. They can handle things that don't have weapons (Sneasels for example), but there's a bit more finesse to be had than hacking, slashing, and dodging when the opposition has a weapon as well. That said, I have some things planned swordfighting-wise. Let's just say that it has something to do with the mental connections between party members.

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
After a bit over two months of hard labor, I have finally finished the next chapter. I couldn't bring myself to take any longer. This chapter contains a lot of material, and I know questions will arise concerning some of it. I will say right now that I will probably not answer said questions, unless the answer comes in the form of an event or explanation in a later chapter. Anyways, here it is:

--------

Chapter Twenty-Three

"You saw Rayquaza!? And the king!?" Latios' normally calm disposition had been replaced by one of unbridled excitement when he heard the news.

"Yes," Latias answered, her initial wonderment having long worn off. She and Ren had circled around a few times after their first encounter with the head of royalty and his dragon, but they had given up the search when they could not locate the two again. Latias subsequently found her way back to the clearing using the signal emitting from the Eon Chronicles they possessed, and was now hovering low to the ground, much wearied from the journey, and munching a bite of jam and bread. "We accidentally flew through Rayquaza's aura; otherwise we may have never noticed them."

Latios' eyes widened, his excitement immediately changing to horror. "You flew through his aura? But Latias…that's an offense punishable by death!"

"What?" Kairn and Ren blurted out in unison, the latter boy's portion of bread stopping halfway in its travel to his mouth. Houndoom gave a low growl, his response to the shocking statement.

Latias seemed to be the only one among them that was unconcerned. "I'm sure it won't come to that, Latios," she thought-spoke to the other dragon. "It was unintentional, as I said, and I doubt the king would be so foolish as to destroy us to see the law upheld with such strictness." She glanced at Ren and Kairn then, who were staring back at her with utter confusion. "Yes?" she asked them, seeing their behavior as odd and gaining an equally puzzled expression.

"What law?" was all that Ren could manage.

"Don't you know?" Latias thought back, and was answered by the rattle of armor as heads were shaken all around. She recoiled, truly caught off-guard. "It is your own government and you don't…?" It was her turn to shake her head.

"No one may enter Rayquaza's aura without the permission of either himself or the king," Latios interjected, looking even more perturbed than before. "The aura is a safeguard, as it naturally repels many types of things, the least of which is weather. It easily deflects throwing knives and arrows, and has been known to withstand so much as trebuchet assaults and even lighting strikes. Within the aura, Rayquaza and the king are fully protected: the two could easily stride through a battlefield and be safe from harm." His voice dropped lower then, and he looked gravely at Latias. "If one were to set about assassinating the king, they would first have to get within the protective layer that Rayquaza provides. That is why it is forbidden, and it is no idle trespass."

"I think you worry too much," Latias chided.

"You aren't thinking at all, you fool! You may be killed for what you did!"

The words rang loudly in Latios' mind during the silence that followed, oddly painful. He didn't even need to see Latias looking as if he had physically struck her to know he had been much too harsh. "I'm sorry…I didn't mean…" he stammered, as surprised by his own outburst as the others. He had never been prone to unwarranted bouts of anger. What had this sudden fury stemmed from?

Latias tried, with no small level of difficulty, to bite down on the resentment she felt at the other dragon's initial comment. "I suppose we've all been under a great deal of stress lately," she put in after she had composed herself somewhat, going to great lengths to keep the edge out of her mind's voice. "I can understand how that could make you lose your temper."

Latios wasn't sure whether this was the true reason, but he had no better explanation readily available. In any case, it did not relieve the feeling that he had misstepped. "That's not an excuse," he thought back apologetically. "None of you have let our situation get the better of you, and we're all sharing the same load. It isn't fair for me to grow so angry...it will only put more strain on the rest of the company. I need to be stronger than that."

"You can't expect to be able to simply endure all of your troubles." Kairn's voice was an unanticipated addition to the conversation, and both dragons turned to him. "What was it you said to me, Latios? 'We are partnered for a reason, and that is to see each other through the great struggles that lie ahead. We could not do this alone. Do not feel like you must.' That applies to all of us, you included. So don't think about trying to keep all of your anxiety to yourself. That's what wouldn't be fair. Not that I think you were justified in shouting at Latias," the boy added, his tone changing to one of reproach. "That was uncalled for, to say the least. We're just going to have to find other ways to let off the pressure once in a while." The boy paused to think for a moment, and then his eyes took on a mischievous gleam. "I happen to know one that is readily available."

"And what would that be?" Latios asked, wondering if he truly wanted to hear the answer.

Kairn grinned. "Unbridled violence."

The setting sun blazed through a rift in the subsiding blizzard, glowing the color of heated steel. A castle, its walls of white stone tinged a rosy hue, perched on a cliff overlooking a pale-sanded beach that stretched endlessly to either side. Behind the fortress, the ocean lay calm and serene as a blue mirror: a sparkling red swath of reflected sunlight shone upon it, leading all the way from the burgundy horizon to the shoreline. To the four figures waiting on one of the many smooth-topped towers that made up parts of the castle walls, the glowing path resembled a trail of rubies formed by some sea-giant to connect the coast to the distant heavens.

"All the riches in all of the treasuries of men could not match nature in her artistry," one of the four commented, sitting and gazing seaward with eyes the color of a clear midday sky. A chilly onshore breeze whipped around his body, causing him to draw his heavy black cloak tighter about himself and making the white hair that normally extended to the small of his back flare out behind him. The movement disturbed an Umbreon that had been curled and asleep in his lap, another of the waiting four, and she stirred to regard him with vivid red eyes that seemed to ask why he had woken her. He gently stroked her long, rabbit-like ears in answer, and the ring-shaped yellow markings dotting the creature's predominantly black fur luminesced dully with contentment before she returned to her state of rest.

"Aye, you are right there, Darkrai," a third figure said: a young man. He was standing, the silver armor covering him from head to toe seeming to blaze in the waning light. A heavy white cape was clasped about his neck, and the biting wind caused it to snap and flutter behind him, much to the despair of a Dragonair whom it was buffeting in the muzzle. "And no device of war could compare to her ferocity, either," he added, stamping his feet and breathing into his hands before glancing upwards accusingly at the snow that yet fell. "I wish my father would hurry back."

The Dragonair, a serpentine pokemon with dark-blue scales and a cream-white underbelly, wrapped a few coils of his elongated body around his partner in an effort to keep him warm. He was nearly as cold as the surrounding winter air, however, and was pushed off almost immediately amidst a gasp of displeasure. Adopting a different technique, the creature stared at the foreboding sky with determination in his violet eyes, the blue orbs on his neck and tail beginning to glow with a curious light. Dragonair could control the weather: not for very long, but perhaps long enough to offer some relief from the elements. He forced the clouds to hold back the remainder of their icy payload, and then halted the freezing gusts of air that blew in from the ocean.

"King Jethroe needs all the respite he can afford to take," Darkrai was saying, his voice low. "He has had much on his mind as of late, although I suppose you are more acutely aware of that than any of us." The man paused, letting out a small sigh as the last bit of sun sank below the horizon. "Miles, when your mother fell ill—"

"It's like he's running away," the prince interjected, turning to absentmindedly scratch around the single horn and feathery, wing-like ears that adorned Dragonair's head. The pokemon hummed in approval of the attention with a voice that resonated like vibrating crystal and leaned in to make it easier for Miles to reach. "He just flies off with his dragon when things get too much for him. I almost wish we had the same option…" he said the last sentence more to his companion. "But it's simply too cold this time of year to go any long distance, and unfortunately you can't control the weather for any substantial period of time." He stopped petting Dragonair, lost in thought, his hand coming to rest mid-stroke on the azure scales as his eyes focused on nothing in particular. The creature's tufted ears drooped in response to this, and he nudged the young man's hand in an attempt to set it in motion again.

Darkrai carefully moved Umbreon off of his lap and then stood and stretched, making the fine-as-silk array of soot-blackened chainmail he wore under his cloak tinkle like the pouring out of small coins. "I would daresay we all have our methods for dealing with our troubles. I, for one, spend as much time outside as I can." He looked directly at the prince then, his expression shrewd but not unkind. "Forgive me for speaking such, but do you not use your daily training as your own escape? There have been many occasions in which you've missed meals while sparring or completing trial courses and the like." When Miles remained silent at this, Darkrai continued. "I don't believe it is wholly fair to label your father as a deserter. We all have burdens to bear, and the king has the heaviest load of all. I would not begrudge him his time away…it may very well be all that preserves his continued good health."

The prince was, at this point, staring rather darkly at the ground directly in front of his feet with his arms crossed. He had stopped shivering, but the truth in the other's lecture was a new source of irritation. "Please don't take it so to heart," Darkrai said, smiling ever so slightly in spite of himself at Miles' forthright disposition. "There is truly no offense on your part. And go inside, if you will. I know it is cold, and I am quite certain that Umbreon and I can take up the watch alone."

The prince hesitated for a moment and seemed about to protest, but then nodded instead, grateful. "It's difficult to argue with your golden tongue," he said, grinning, and then strode over to a long and narrow sheath of oiled leather lying nearby. Underneath the protective layer of hide was a beautiful spear, strikingly crafted from a mirrored silver metal, unmarred albeit a single etched line that coiled into graceful patterns along its length. A blue, perfectly round stone was set into the base of the wide blade that served as the tip of the weapon. Miles hoisted the longsheath onto his shoulder with practiced ease, balancing it with one hand as he motioned for Dragonair to follow with the other. Bidding Darkrai farewell, they trudged and slithered to the edge of the tower, and then descended a wide set of steps built spiraling downward around the structure until they were out of sight.

Ren was pinned down behind one of the few scraggly trees dotted about the area, desperately scanning the skies. Where was Latias? If she didn't come to his aid soon, he would be finished. A quick glance around the trunk of the tree provided him no hint as to his enemies' locations, although it did invite a pair of sharp "thumps". Then came a moment of hasty deliberation: should he risk a run for it while the opposition was momentarily devoid of throwing weapons, or should he stand his ground and hope for a better moment of opportunity? His feathered armor was already covered in snow, which would give him away should he attempt to render himself invisible. Just the same, he dashed out from behind the tree, zigzagging in case he had misjudged how long it took for his foes to re-arm themselves. It was a good decision: a snowball hurtled harmlessly by moments later, the thrower's aim rendered useless by his quick movements.

"Missed!" he shouted tauntingly over his shoulder to an enraged looking Kairn, spying as he ran an icy fortification that Latios and the other boy had built. Then he looked upwards as a sleek red and white shape streaked through the sky. "There you are!" he thought-spoke to Latias. "They've piled up snow to protect themselves! Can you get at them?"

"Oh, I suppose," the other answered with mock-nonchalance, and then flew by and dumped the entire contents of a pack filled with slush on Kairn. She reeled away laughing as the boy shouted in shock, the cold bombardment instantly penetrating his metal armor. Ren took advantage of his friend's momentary incapacitation to rush the fort, scooping up and tossing snowballs as he ran. Latios met the onslaught with one of his potent roars: the blue sphere that emanated from his mouth turned Ren's snowy missiles into white puffs of ice and continued unhindered until it hit the ground right before the boy's feet. The impact tossed up a huge white plume that effectively covered Ren from head to toe, and he beat a hasty retreat while simultaneously trying to shake off the sensation-deadening powder.

The snowball fight raged on, with no clear victor even as the last of the sun dipped below the horizon. Once it became too dark to see, the skirmishing ground to a halt. Ren, Latias, Kairn, and Latios crumpled into a disordered heap, all thoroughly chilled and fighting to regain their breath. Houndoom sat idly by, perhaps the best off out of the entire group: his task had been to keep the dragons from becoming too cold by bathing them occasionally in a blast of fire. He did this now for good measure, torching all four of his friends with a stream of overwhelming heat. Feathers repelled flame all around, but Kairn and Ren were unaccustomed to this new immunity offered by their down-covered armor and both jumped up and fled a good distance away. The dragons roared with laughter.

"It's not that funny," Ren muttered under his breath as he and Kairn made their way back.

"Of course it is," Latias thought to him, overhearing the comment through their mental link. "Just look at yourself." A flash of light pulsed next to her as she created an image of the boy in midair: the semblance's face was contorted into a mask of absolute horror. The two dragons went into another bout of hysterics, and this time Kairn joined them. Ren coolly tossed a snowball into each of their faces, and order was quickly restored.

"It is growing late," Latios commented a few moments later, any trace of humor gone from his mind's voice. "We should probably rest. Tomorrow, we must return to Griffith and give him the two editions of the Chronicles we have collected. I would rather not fly while half-asleep."

There was a general response of agreement, and then Houndoom created a dry patch of ground for them to bed down on. Snores came quickly from Latios and Kairn's direction, but Ren kept Latias awake for a bit longer.

"Don't you think Latios may be correct in saying that we should be more cautious from now on?" the boy asked in the privacy of their minds. "A death penalty isn't exactly something I would care to trifle with."

"You, as well?" Latias gave an exasperated sigh. "I truly can't entertain the notion that there will be repercussions for what happened earlier today. If the worst should occur and we are arrested, we will simply say that our intrusion was not intentional and that we meant no harm. Seeing as the king is still alive and well, it will be difficult to argue. We may even go so far as to explain that we are being sought by an ancient and deadly evil, and that whoever wishes to oppose it would do best to stay out of our way. That would undoubtedly turn things in our favor."

"But suppose the king is not sympathetic to our position," Ren argued. "It is the law, after all, and we can't be sure how lax the king will be with it. Suppose he sees it as his utmost duty to have the law carried out with absolution, no matter what arguments there are to oppose it?" Latias did not interject, so Ren went on. "And imagine just how much time we could waste dealing with the government. If we are arrested and they do decide to release us, but not immediately, we would be allowing our enemies time: something which we must avoid as much as possible. I say we do as Latios wishes. Hiding from our previous foes was bad enough: now every person in every town, village, and city may be alerted to our presence. Please trust me when I say we should ere on the side of caution…if for no other reason, do it for me."

Latias took a deep breath, and then let it out slowly as she weighed her options and settled on a decision. "All right," she thought-spoke to her partner. "I will do as you ask. From now on, we will either remain disguised or invisible if there is any reason to fear being seen by unfriendly eyes. We will do so until we can discern how the king has reacted to our crossing of paths. Does this sound reasonable?" Ren nodded the affirmative response. "Good. Now I would like to ask something: just how knowledgeable are you about our system of government? The fact that you didn't know about the aura-trespass law concerns me greatly."

"Not much," Ren admitted. "My family did not have a great amount of direct involvement with authority, and I didn't pay attention on the rare occasions when they happened to talk about it. I do know that our town and a few others are overseen by one person…a lord, I think."

"That is correct." Latias nodded in approval. "There are eight lords, and each of them is tasked with protecting and keeping order inside their personal domain. There are, obviously, eight such domains. Now: these lords are appointed directly by the king, and it is his decision alone whom to choose. However, the king has a group of four trusted advisers, called the Elite Four, who can influence his choices. The king always has the final say, but these four can act as a kind of foil should he get out of line. If every member of the Elite Four is in agreement, they can revoke the king's title and appoint a new one…" She yawned widely. "That should be enough for now. I'm going to sleep. Goodnight."

Ren watched as the dragon closed her eyes, the two points of golden light giving way to sudden darkness. He then laid down himself, staring up at the scattering of stars that shone through the clouded sky. Latias' slow breathing lulled him to the edge of sleep, but then he jerked himself to full awareness when she made a strange whimpering noise. Looking quickly over, he found that she had grown restless and was tossing about. Concerned, he peered into her mind and found that she was having a nightmare: she was reliving the experience of drowning he had subjected her to earlier that day. "Oh no," he whispered to himself, and then crawled to his friend's side. Not knowing what else to do, he gently wrapped his arms around her neck and waited for her dream to end, guilt stabbing through him like a knife to the heart. Each moment stretched agonizingly long, but eventually Latias calmed under his touch after what seemed to be an eternity.

The incident was unsettling; Ren did not find rest easily afterwards. He held Latias close as the stars wheeled overhead, unknowns and fears consuming his troubled mind much as the dark filled the moonless night. The future appeared wholly uncertain then, more so than ever before. The world was seemingly against them, and it wasn't heartening odds. Five weary travelers against the multitudes of the land and a faceless, timeless evil…it was hard to comprehend how little hope they had.

Ren thought suddenly and quite unexpectedly how much he missed home. He could be comfortably asleep in his own bed with his parents just down the hall, confident in what tomorrow would bring. It was a tantalizing thought, and he dwelled upon it for a long, long time, homesickness filling him more and more with each passing moment. Then he looked at Latias, and hesitantly, reverentially, as though he was moving an object of utmost delicacy, pushed the thought back out of his mind. He could face all the uncertainty in the world, he decided slowly, and would do it gladly, as long as he could do so with her.

--------

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Either this chapter is shorter than normal, or I read too fast. x_x

Anyway: I like this chapter. Not to much happened. Except snow ball fight. That was fun, but would have been cooler if you showed more flinging. I like how you introduced the scene. Kept you guessing for a couple of line.

Unless things really pick up, I think this story is going to have a bunch of chapters. But I will read every one.

Sorry I'm not much of a help with grammar and such, but I was reading it too fast to notice any.

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
There probably will be a ton of chapters. And I think it will pick up at least somewhat now, but I seem to have a tendency to write a lot of slow scenes between fast ones. They are necessary, as my plot will only get more and more twisted and will require more and more detail, but that doesn't make it extremely fun to wade through a bunch of slow stuff. For the next few chapters, though, it shouldn't be too bad.

POKEMON_MASTER_0

caffeine 1mg/mL, 240 mL po q4h prn fatigue
Years
Interesting...I wonder what the point of the conversation between the Elite Four (I'm assuming) was. Sure, it tells us the king's mental state, but how does that tie into the story? Of course, I don't expect you to answer. (:

The snowball fight was funny. There weren't any grammar mistakes that caught my attention, but then again I wasn't actively looking for them.

Although not as action-packed as previous chapters, it was a solid addition. Other than that, I don't have much else to say. Good job.

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
Years
To use Pokemon_Master's word, it's a solid chapter. The first two parts develop the plot (I assume), adds to their peril, and deepens the mystery, while the last few paragraphs really show how Ren's relationship with Latias is developing. The snowball fight was pretty amusing, and I like how you made it seem like something more serious at first.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
To use Pokemon_Master's word, it's a solid chapter. The first two parts develop the plot (I assume), adds to their peril, and deepens the mystery, while the last few paragraphs really show how Ren's relationship with Latias is developing. The snowball fight was pretty amusing, and I like how you made it seem like something more serious at first.

Why thank you. It seems my poor characters are being slowly buried in dangerous circumstances. We'll see what comes of it. And I figured the snowball fight would catch a lot of people off guard, which is why I wrote it that way ;).

Also, sorry this is taking so long (once again -_-'), but I'll try to get to it ASAP. I've been really busy doing things like moving into college, so I haven't had much writing time lately. Cheers.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
What's this? I've actually been working on a chapter for the past six months?

I could give you a wide array of excuses as to why I'm so slow, but none of them are really viable. I apologize for taking so long (once again). Hopefully the quality of this chapter will make up for it, but that's up for you to decide.

Thanks to Pokemon_Master_0 for beta-ing.

--------

Chapter Twenty Four

It was well after midnight when Umbreon awoke. She glanced cursorily upward as her sleep-blurred vision sharpened, and noted that the sky was clear and moonless. Despite the dark, her ruby-colored eyes pierced her surroundings, allowing her to see as though it were daytime. After carefully extricating herself from Darkrai's lap, she yawned, stretched, and then padded soundlessly through the snow a few paces.

She proceeded to roll on the ground, considering that she must be insane for leaving her partner's warm and comfortable presence, but she needed to be alert if she was going to be helping him keep watch. The luminous rings decorating her fur went completely dim as the ice found its way to her skin, creating a palpable indication of her displeasure. Fully awake and equally cold, she trotted back to Darkrai, and took up station at his side.

It struck her that he was being unnaturally quiet. He hadn't so much as greeted her. She looked up at his face sidelong, and found that he was staring out at the city that surrounded the castle on every side except the one taken up by the sea cliffs. She did the same, taking in the breathtaking view: a sparse few torches and flickering starlight punctuated the otherwise shadowy city, throwing it into moody relief. "Altomare is beautiful tonight, isn't it?" Umbreon asked.

When Darkrai's only response was an impassive nod, she understood the reason for his detachedness. He appeared to simply be taking in the sights, but she knew from his demeanor and their many years together that he had retreated to somewhere deep within himself. It was a dark place, a graveyard of haunted thoughts, where a cold wind howled and the shadows seemed alive. It was a place he shouldn't be venturing into. "You're thinking about it again, aren't you?"

There was a moment of stillness, and then Umbreon's mind was filled with pale light as Darkrai's consciousness merged more fully with hers. "It seems you've been playing me for the fool," he responded. "I didn't realize that you were capable of reading minds as well."

"I'm not, and there's no need. Your expression tells me everything."

Speaking with Darkrai telepathically was an undeniably foreign experience, and although it wasn't at all unpleasant, it had taken over a year for Umbreon to get used to the process after they first met. Conversing mentally with another being hadn't been a daily occurrence before that point, to be certain. Telepaths were extraordinarily rare, and Darkrai was the only human known to have the trait.

"Is it truly that obvious?" Darkrai grinned. "Perhaps I should practice keeping my features inscrutable in front of a mirror."

Umbreon surmised that he was being humorous in an attempt to downplay the topic at hand, but that at least told her he hadn't withdrawn so deeply into himself as to be nearly unreachable. It had happened before, the result of which was Darkrai shutting her out, brooding silently over what was concealed within his mind. It was painful--and dangerous--for both of them.

"You know you can trust me, Darkrai." She rubbed her head against his armored shoulder. "There's no need to hide."

"From you, perhaps…" Darkrai was still staring out over the city. "But my past isn't one to be readily related to just anyone."

"And you risk that happening whenever you hold it in." Umbreon pressed her head against Darkrai's arm, and was still for a moment. "Your nightmares are getting worse." She looked searchingly into her companion's eyes, but he turned away. "Oh no you don't," she said with a reproachful tone. "You know that it's only a matter of time before one of your nightmares spills into someone's dreams besides mine. What if it's a resident of the city? Or one of the other Elites? Come on, get it over with."

Darkrai fidgeted. "You know I hate doing that."

"Can't be helped," Umbreon replied swiftly. "Now go on, before the anxiety kills me."

"We wouldn't want that." Darkrai laughed. It was an empty sound, obviously forced. "Fine then; I'll do it, but only if you promise to let me know if it's becoming too much for you."

"As always, I promise. Now go on!"

Darkrai took a deep breath and placed a hand on the gleaming circle adorning Umbreon's forehead. She closed her eyes and shivered.

"You're afraid," he noted softly, dropping his hand to his side.

"This isn't exactly going to be enjoyable. But I'll get over it once we begin, like every other time."

"No…afraid for me."

So he knew. It wasn't surprising, with him being psychic, but that didn't make it any easier. In fact, it made it harder: now that he had gleaned a portion of the truth, she would have to tell him the rest of it. Umbreon opened her eyes, and tried to appear unruffled. "As I said, your nightmares are getting worse."

Darkrai waited expectantly.

"…Worse than they've been in a while," Umbreon added. Her companion remained unmollified. She sighed audibly. Darkrai wasn't going to give up: there was no sense in prolonging the conversation. "They're as bad as the time just before you…" She hesitated.

"Is that what you fear?" Moving unexpectedly, Darkrai gently pulled Umbreon close to him. "That I'll take up once again the guise I learned to hate?"

"…Yes."

Darkrai stared out over the city for a long moment, each breath lingering in the air as an apparition of white fog. Then he looked down at her, but she averted her gaze, hoping he hadn't seen her anxious expression. "Vee?"

The nickname caught her off guard, her thoughts instantly returning to the day Darkrai had given it to her; a small, frightened child mispronouncing the name of her first form, Eevee. A smile crossed her features. "Yes?"

"I need to ask a favor of you."

"Which would be?"

"I need you to have faith that I'll be fine. That we'll be fine. I need you to trust me. Can you do that?"

Umbreon appeared nonplussed. "I evolved for you," she answered.

"I know." Darkrai hugged her. "And I'm not questioning our friendship. I just need to hear it."

"Of course I'll trust you," Umbreon asserted. "What's gotten into you?" Darkrai broke eye contact, and Umbreon's stomach knotted. "You're afraid, as well."

"No, it's not that…I simply…" Darkrai paused, drew in a deep breath, and exhaled slowly. "Umbreon?"

Just then, a mighty roar sounded overhead. The two companions looked skyward, and Umbreon spotted Rayquaza's night-shrouded form descending swiftly towards them. Their conversation would have to wait: the castle was about to become a very busy place.

No sooner had Rayquaza landed than the king dismounted, his armored boots crushing snow and clacking sharply against the stone-topped tower. Darkrai and Umbreon immediately entered the great dragon's aura and took places at Jethroe's right and left sides, actively looking for trouble and never staring in one direction for too long. They kept mental contact with one another so that they could share what they were seeing and therefore be more prepared for any danger that might arise.

The group progressed to the edge of the tower, and then began descending the staircase built spiraling around it: the structure was wide enough to accommodate Rayquaza. There were no words exchanged, as all attention was being devoted to escorting the king safely inside. Darkrai kept a firm grip on the hilt of a katana belted to his waist, pulling the weapon out of its sheath only enough to expose a few inches of the blade, which was as white and curved as a crescent moon. If the man's reputation was not enough of a deterrent to any assassin, that of the blade would be: it was rumored to have been forged from moonlight and tempered by the icy fear it instilled in its victims.

As the four went, they were soon joined by others that came rushing to meet them. First came Miles and Dragonair, the prince easily sprinting up the steps two at a time and the pokémon gliding effortlessly on a gust of air behind him. As they took places in front of the king, two more arrived: a magnificent Skarmory with glittering feathers and, saddled atop her, a middle-aged man clad in plate armor and a billowing crimson cape. They began circling overhead, and the eight proceeded without stopping.

Once they had reached the bottom of the tower, it was only a few sparse yards to the throne room. The castle had been built so that the tower could act as a launching platform for members of Rayquaza's race: in times of need, the current dragon and king would need only exit through a doorway behind the throne to make a hasty escape. The escort now entered through here, and although it had been a routine procedure, there was a collective sigh of relief as Rayquaza shut the massive double-doors behind them.

King Jethroe took a moment to glance around the throne room, reacquainting himself with the place he spent the majority of his time as king. The space was built as a massive hall, with a ceiling far higher than could be illuminated by the many standing torches arranged about the floor. An emerald-colored carpet lead from the distant main entrance to the throne itself, which was intricately carved from jade and sat on a raised pedestal of white stone. Along either side of the carpet stood a battalion of humanlike Gallade, who where always prepared to defend the king with their retractable elbow blades and their lives.

The king looked finally at the long, tall walls enclosing both sides of the great hall. Unlike the rest of the room, which shone with polished white stone, the walls sparkled blue. Each was covered with a countless number of Bronzong: the metallic, bell-like pokémon were completely immobile for the time being.

Seeing that all was in order, King Jethroe turned to the others. "I'm going to see my wife," he stated. "Miles, you may join me if you so desire. Darkrai, Gawain: I am holding an emergency council as soon as I am done, so make ready if you would."

"Yes, sir," answered Gawain, who had been unbuckling his saddle from Skarmory. He clacked a gauntlet against the brow of his helm in a sharp salute.

With this, the king and prince departed, with Dragonair and Rayquaza close behind. The men and Dragonair made their way to a door set into the wall to the left of the throne, and went inside. Rayquaza stayed behind, as he was too large for the adjoining room, but his aura extended into the space beyond and continued to offer them protection.

The armored man riding Skarmory climbed down out of his saddle, and then approached Darkrai. "An emergency council…I wonder if something happened," he said in a low, rough voice.

"I can only imagine," Darkrai responded. He waved to a few of the Gallade standing guard, and they brought chairs for him and the other, as well as a cushion for Umbreon. Once they were seated, he added "We'll know soon enough."

"She hasn't improved."

King Jethroe's face was ashen as he knelt beside his wife's malnourished and bedridden form. He plucked one of her icy hands from underneath the covers, and gently massaged it between his own. "Have you identified the disease?"

"Not yet, your majesty," answered the woman standing by the king's side. She brushed a lock of golden hair out of her face, wrapping it behind her ear to keep it in place. It became the only organized part of her otherwise disheveled appearance. "She has a very peculiar sickness: whenever we think we've found a cure, it makes a comeback."

"Just keep trying, Aia. It's all that can be asked of you," the king said quietly. "Right now, however, go to the throne room. I will meet you and the rest of the Elite Four there momentarily." Noticing her drawn expression and wrinkled garments, he added "afterward, I'd like you to get some sleep. You look like you were awake the entire time I was absent."

"Thank you, sir…and I was," Aia chuckled weakly. She bowed, and then motioned towards a dark corner of the room. Two glowing, yellow eyes appeared in the midst of the gloom, and then a catlike Luxray emerged, his claws rapping lightly on the floor as he followed Aia out the door.

Jethroe turned to the bed, and stared at his wife's pale face. "I'm here, Elain," he whispered to her. "Come back to me, my love." When she didn't stir after a moment, he bowed his head, unsurprised and yet incapable of ignoring the sense of dejection that crept into his heart. "Perhaps tomorrow, then," he added, as he always did, and stood. "Cresselia?"

A yellow, crescent-shaped head adorned with a pink jewel and two quarter-moon crests rose from behind the other side of the bed. Cresselia regarded the king sleepily with her violet eyes, and yawned. "Your majesty?" She floated a few feet off the floor, revealing a rounded lavender body and short tail with a yellow underside, as well as three pink veils that adorned her figure. "Welcome home, sir." The pokémon spoke telepathically, so her voice seemed to come from within the king's mind.

"Thank you, and I'm sorry for waking you," Jethroe replied. "Would you be so kind as to watch over Elain tonight? I need to speak with the Elite Four about a matter that has suddenly come up, and Aia needs to rest."

"Certainly, dear king," Cresselia said, inclining her head in her interpretation of a bow. "I will alert you immediately if anything transpires."

Jethroe thanked her, allowed his gaze to linger on his wife's features a moment longer, and then stepped out the door.

Cresselia watched him leave, and then looked down at her companion. "Rest easy, my queen," she thought, pushing the words into the woman's tumultuous dreams. Then she took to sentinel-like stillness, shining gently as a full moon in the otherwise darkened room.

"A Latias, you say?"

"There was no mistaking her." Jethroe gazed at each member of the Elite Four in turn, recognizing various levels of shock in their faces. Even the pokémon were visibly surprised. "She and a rider flew through Rayquaza's aura earlier today. Nearly stunned me out of my saddle, too: they were going faster than I could have imagined possible."

"Extraordinary," Aia breathed.

"You said they entered Rayquaza's aura?" Gawain had a dark look on his face. "Your majesty, I know I need not remind you that doing so bears a death sentence."

"Nonsense," retorted Darkrai. "It sounds like a simple mistake. And I know I need not remind you, Gawain, of the stories surrounding the Eon Dragons. Of the wondrous powers they hold. The day we decide to execute a member of that glorious race would be a dark one, indeed."

"But what if that Latias is being controlled by evil?" Gawain argued. "We can't rule that out as an option."

"She didn't attack the king, even though she had an opportune chance," Darkrai asserted. "Besides, you try hanging a Latias, and you'll be the laughing stock of the entire kingdom. They can fly, you know."

Everyone laughed at that, except Gawain, who glared at his boots. He counted himself lucky that his helmet concealed his reddening face.

"Alright, enough of this," the king said, silencing the others. "I have already decided that the Latias I saw is not a threat, but I would like to bring her and her rider in just the same. I wish to speak with her, and to offer her protection: now that we know of her presence, we can't simply stand by and do nothing, whether we like it or not. The Dark One will rise to claim her eventually, and I'd rather she were under our wing than alone and unguarded. There's no telling what evils would be committed if her power fell into the wrong hands, so the more support she has from us, the better. Agreed?"

There were general murmurs of consent from the Elites, the strongest coming from Darkrai's direction and the weakest from Gawain's. King Jethroe thanked and dismissed them, and then walked behind the throne to a makeshift sleeping area consisting of a small rug, a nightstand, and a cot. He lay down on this after removing his golden armor, and then Rayquaza coiled his serpentine body around the entire setup, creating an impregnable wall of scales and aura.

"Goodnight, my friend," the king said, patting the scaly hide closest to his resting place affectionately. "And thank you for flying with me." Then he thought of Latias, and added "Perhaps the world will be a bit brighter from now on."

Rayquaza answered with a deep, nearly-inaudible rumble. The sound resonated within the bell-like bodies of the countless Bronzong covering the walls, and slowly died away as a muted chime while the Gallade guard put out the torch-stands and cast the hall into darkness.

Once they were in their private quarters, Umbreon focused her thoughts, letting Darkrai know she wished to speak with him. He extended his mind to hers, and she asked: "what was it you were about to tell me before the king arrived?"

The man hesitated in the midst of unbuckling his sword belt from his waist. "I can't remember," he answered after a moment, placing his weapon on a nearby stand. "The excitement seems to have driven it from my mind."

Umbreon gazed skeptically at the back of Darkrai's head as he began removing his chainmail, wondering if her companion had lapsed into being evasive again. However, even if her gut told her that he was, she didn't pursue the matter. There were more pressing things at hand. "Well, I hope you haven't forgotten that we're going to need to synchronize tonight."

"No, I haven't," Darkrai sighed. "Do you want to start now?"

"Waiting won't make it any better, so whenever you're ready," Umbreon responded, grimacing.

"I'm never ready for this." Darkrai sat down in front of his friend, and placed his hand on her head. "…Umbreon?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you for putting up with this. I know that it isn't easy, and I just want to make sure that you understand how much I appreciate it. If there were any other way--"

"You know I hate it when you get sentimental." Umbreon grinned, and her eyes took on a mirthful glint. Then her face hardened, and she took a deep breath to steel herself. "Alright…go."

--------

Last edited:

POKEMON_MASTER_0

caffeine 1mg/mL, 240 mL po q4h prn fatigue
Years
As before, this is a well-done chapter. However, I couldn't find anything major wrong.

I think that most dramatic change you made for me personally was by saying (rather indirectly) that the castle is in Altomare. I don't think we knew that detail before. It really gets me thinking, too. Did the Latios and the Latias in the story originate from Altomare? On the other hand, being that we are in medieval times, perhaps the Latias and Latios in this story will lay the foundation for Latiases and Latioses that will live in Altomare in the future. Or, I could just be overthinking this. (:

Anyhow, I guess I found it interesting how I could read over this fairly quickly, and then suddenly find a part that had been added or removed. I also thought that the new ending wrapped up the chapter more effectively, by leaving off with Umbreon and Darkrai.

So overall, another great chapter.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
As before, this is a well-done chapter. However, I couldn't find anything major wrong.

I think that most dramatic change you made for me personally was by saying (rather indirectly) that the castle is in Altomare. I don't think we knew that detail before. It really gets me thinking, too. Did the Latios and the Latias in the story originate from Altomare? On the other hand, being that we are in medieval times, perhaps the Latias and Latios in this story will lay the foundation for Latiases and Latioses that will live in Altomare in the future. Or, I could just be overthinking this. (:

Anyhow, I guess I found it interesting how I could read over this fairly quickly, and then suddenly find a part that had been added or removed. I also thought that the new ending wrapped up the chapter more effectively, by leaving off with Umbreon and Darkrai.

So overall, another great chapter.

As always, thanks for reading. I know I forced you to read it twice, but it's good to see that you enjoyed what I changed. And man, oh man, if you only knew how difficult it is to keep from spewing a bunch of spoilers about Altomare. You're going to need to hire a professional to remove the knots I'm going to tie in your mind when you get to certain points.

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
Years
Yay for the introduction of half a dozen new characters! :D I can tell you have some great plot developments in mind, I can only hope that you'll get this story done before you lose interest entirely.

So, did Jethroe call the council because of him seeing the Latis? Or was he just going to call it anyways? I'm assuming he was just traveling because he wanted to see his wife.

Questions aside, another +1 chapter, very foreboding and plot-developing. Hopefully you're still writing...

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Yay for the introduction of half a dozen new characters! :D I can tell you have some great plot developments in mind, I can only hope that you'll get this story done before you lose interest entirely.

So, did Jethroe call the council because of him seeing the Latis? Or was he just going to call it anyways? I'm assuming he was just traveling because he wanted to see his wife.

Questions aside, another +1 chapter, very foreboding and plot-developing. Hopefully you're still writing...
Jethroe was traveling in order to take a break from his ridiculously stressful life, actually. And him calling counsel is protocol when he returns from such ventures: the Elites fill him in on any pressing matters or happenings.

And no, I haven't entirely lost interest. I've been picking away at the next chapter, but it's not really going well. Lots of dialogue again, which takes me a long time.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Well would you look at this. An actual, real-life chapter. Wow. It's been...almost a year. I don't really know why it took so long...school, work, general disinterest, a lack of creativity, and a lack of motivation were probably the major factors.

I won't say this is my best chapter yet, because I don't think it is. However, it should be pretty good, and it answers a lot of questions, directly or otherwise. It went onto the 12th page in Word, and therefore I do believe it is my longest chapter yet. I hope to be more active in the near future, as some of the old spark seems to be back, but it will remain to be seen.

On that note, I don't really have major plans for events immediately after this chapter. I'm hoping that lack of constraint will give me some wiggle room, which may be conducive to writing, but again, we'll see. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this. Constructive criticism is appreciated, as always.

--------

Chapter Twenty Five

The tinny clinking of metal sounded overly-loud in the relative silence of night. Wincing, Eli took more care to be quiet as he crouched next to a rawst berry bush, unwrapping the chains securing Torkoal to his arm. The skin underneath was red and blistered, injured by countless burns from Torkoal's fiery body and rubbed raw by his rough shell. After setting his partner on the ground, the blacksmith pulled a few of the green, seed-covered rawst berries off of the bush to eat, and then crushed one between his fingers before rubbing the juice on his arm. He hissed as the pulp came in stinging contact with his burns, and then watched as the blisters subsided and the flesh returned to a normal, healthy color. Satisfied, he fed a few more of the berries to Torkoal, and then packed some into his pockets. Then he re-secured his partner to his arm, and moved on.

The man hadn't eaten or slept since his encounter the previous night with the black-clad soldiers. They had been pursuing him endlessly since then, swift and yet uncannily stealthy: Eli had twice made the mistake of thinking they had given up. At first, he had fought back, laying ambushes and traps when he had opportunities to do so. He aimed to incapacitate, not to kill, and succeeded in crippling a dozen or so of his pursuers. He had been expecting the rest of the men to carry their wounded brethren, thus impeding their progress, but to his astonishment and mortification the injured were cruelly left behind.

Eli had realized at noon the previous day that he would need to devote all of his remaining strength to fleeing if he wished to live. He imagined that if he could make it to a village or city, the soldiers would not follow him in for fear of revealing the existence of their organization. Therefore, he made for Wootz Town, the closest settlement he knew of.

As frail morning light began to breathe color into the world, two things happened. Eli saw Wootz Town off in the distance, perched at the edge of the thinning forest, its night-lanterns still shining forth crisply against the twilit landscape. At the same instant, there came the sound of metal scraping against wood from behind the blacksmith. He turned to find a hooded and cloaked figure clinging to the side of a tree with a pair of blades that extended claw-like from the top of his forearm. Eli recognized the weapons. They belonged to Weavile's former partner, Clave.

The soldier dropped to the snow with a muffled crunch, and then stood to his full height. The hood obscured his features in inky blackness. "You murdered Weavile," he said, very low. Incredible rage burned behind his deceptively quiet words.

"He left me little choice, Clave," Eli responded flatly, pulling his broadsword from where he had strung it across his back with a rope. There had been no time to make a conventional sheath for the weapon. "Perhaps if he had been more civil and less of a cold-blooded fiend, he would have lived. Then again," Eli added with a smile, "I suppose all Weavile are cold-blooded."

"And what makes you think you deserve anything resembling civility?" Clave's tone and stare were glacial. "Your wife and daughter were murdered and your home robbed while you lay on the floor of a tavern in a drunken stupor, and instead of facing your plight and the scorn of your hometown with what little dignity you had left, you fled in shame."

The soldier's words had a visible impact on Eli. His sword tip dropped a few inches and his face lowered to become dark and inscrutable.

"No one wanted anything to do with you," Clave continued. "Everyone hated the coward you had proven yourself to be. You drifted away from society, seeking refuge from your disgrace in your solitude. When we found you months later, half-alive in these woods, I imagined that anyone else would have slit your throat out of pity. But we didn't: we saw your worth as a blacksmith, and allowed you to work for us. We gave you a home. Fed you. Clothed you. Presented you with tasks to keep your shaking, drunkard hands busy. We saved you, Eli, gave you purpose again."

"You enslaved me, you mean." Eli's words were flowing with bitterness.

"Is that what you call our generosity?" Clave's voice was very low. "Don't feign naïveté, Eli. If it weren't for us, you would be nothing but a rotten corpse, bidden good riddance by the world long ago. And now, after all these years, you betray us. Is this how you repay your debt?" Eli remained silent. "Tell me," Clave inquired. "What is it that could make a man turn against those to which he owes his life? What made you bite the hand that feeds?"

"I owe you nothing but the edge of a sharp blade," Eli said vehemently. "If not for the years of misery you put me through, then to bring your contemptible organization to justice."

"Ah, so it is some misguided sense of righteousness that leads you to commit such foolhardy acts. Do we perhaps desire redemption from past actions?" Clave smiled.

Eli's face was stone. "I wish to cease living in guilt and fear, and to have enough courage to follow for once the path that is right."

"Why? To gain favor with a world that cast you out?" The soldier's grin evaporated. "Do you really think that your actions now will somehow erase your past and allow you to return to society with dignity?" The soldier looked into the distance at Wootz Town. "That is where you are making for, is it not? You shouldn't bother. If there is one thing this life has taught me, Eli, it is to accept things for what they are. You would do well to learn the same. You're a proven coward who has been creating weapons for years, which I can personally assure you have been used against what you would call innocent people. No amount of goodwill is going to change what you've done, or blot out who you've become."

"Whether that be the case or not, my decision is final," Eli retorted. "I will oppose you and your fellows until my last breath."

"So be it," Clave sighed. "Honestly, I wished that you would answer as such. I am not so stupid that I would kill such an important asset outright, but now that I know you will not return to us, I can seek proper revenge." The soldier threw open his cloak, holding his claw-blades at the ready. "For Weavile!"

The soldier sprinted forward, and then vaulted into a twirling jump. The maneuver was so fast that Eli had trouble following it; he had only enough time to dive out of the way, and still he felt a sudden, sharp pain as two blades raked his shoulder. He rolled as he hit the ground, and then sprang onto his feet in one smooth motion. Too slow. Clave was already next to him and slashing rapidly even as he stood, and he was forced to crouch, swinging his broadsword over his head to parry the blows.

The blade was weak, a quick forging job created from materials Eli had on hand in his home. The superior craftsmanship and metals that had gone into Clave's claw-blades began to show immediately as chips and nicks started appearing all over the broadsword. Grunting, Eli swung the weapon as hard as he could, forcing his opponent back and using the momentum to stand upright and spin away.

Clave leapt for him again almost immediately: a poor decision. Eli brought Torkoal up to bear, and shook his arm gently. The tortoise pokémon responded by venting a torrent of flame from every opening in his shell, enveloping the soldier in a wall of fire. Eli stepped back from the intense heat, watching solemnly as his opponent fell to the ground with a scream and began thrashing about, attempting to extinguish himself in the snow. The blacksmith hesitated for a moment, torn between letting the man burn in atonement for the torment he had caused and putting him out of his misery. Eli stepped forward with his blade raised, but then lowered it and took a handful of rawst berries out of his pocket. Enemy or no, he couldn't stand to see someone endure such pain.

Eli crushed the berries, and was about to administer the salve when Clave slapped his hand away. He saw through the steam and smoke rising from the man's body that his face was streaming with tears. As the last tongues of flame eating at Clave's flesh went out, the soldier spoke.

"I met Weavile as a Sneasel when I was very young," the soldier said, his voice rasping. "We shared childhood together, got into all kinds of mischief. One time, we stole ten pies from a local bakery. Ten! We made ourselves sick eating all of them. Those were good days." Clave smiled, but then a cough racked his body and he grimaced, squeezing his eyes shut. "But now he's gone, isn't he?" Eli wasn't sure if he should respond, until the soldier continued. "All we wanted back then was adventure and excitement. I thought The Devoted could provide us with those things, so I convinced Sneasel that we should join. Needless to say, it wasn't quite what we expected." Clave coughed again, and black liquid began trickling from the corner of his mouth. "Everything was wonderful at the beginning. Our responsibilities, usually stealing something, always provided a thrill. Soon, though, we were tasked with more…brutal chores. It all culminated when we were given the order to kill someone. We should have bowed out at that point."

Clave clutched a hand to his chest, obviously in pain. His breathing bubbled wetly. "Let me give this to you," Eli pressed, offering the rawst berry salve once more.

The soldier shook his head. "With the state I'm in, it won't amount to anything," he said with finality. Another coughing fit splattered his face and the snow with black flecks. He groaned. "Weavile evolved just after we carried out the assassination. He was still covered in blood, and kept trying to scrub it off, shivering and moaning the whole time." Clave's body involuntarily shuddered, in spite of his injuries. "He fell ill, and remained locked in a room for a week. When he came out, he was…different. He didn't laugh anymore, and hardly spoke at all. We were given more orders: he carried them out with silent ruthlessness. The adventuresome companion I had once known was gone." Clave's expression managed to portray even more anguish than before. "And now he's dead!" he cried. "My partner, companion, and only friend is dead! I myself am on death's doorstep! I have nothing left! Eli, look and see what this world has done to me, the same world you would ask for forgiveness!" Clave's voice gave out as he went into another bout of coughing. When he continued, he was barely whispering. "No, that's wrong. I have done this to myself. To Weavile, as well. Eli, I honestly envy your desire for redemption, and would share that desire, if it were any more than an illusion. I am beyond hope for such a thing now."

"Perhaps you can attain some level of peace in knowing that you addressed your ways before the end," Eli suggested. "That is at least worth something."

"The end? Oh no, Eli, you misunderstand. This is not the end for me." The soldier closed his eyes, and brought what was left of one of his hands to his chest. Something in his grasp glowed red.

Eli brandished his broadsword, sensing danger. Suddenly, the lower half of the blade was shorn from the rest of the weapon and went sailing into the boughs of a nearby tree. The blacksmith stood in dumfounded astonishment: one of Clave's arms was extended, the claw-blade strapped to it still ringing from the impact. He hadn't even seen the soldier move.

"I said before that life has taught me to accept things for what they are," Clave declared. "By my own hand, I have shaped my fate. As a result, all has been stripped from me. I have nothing left to my name. I am nothing, just as darkness is nothing. In that regard, the man known as "Clave" has also been stripped away, leaving only darkness behind. This I understand, and this I accept: I have become darkness itself."

The man lifted high the arm he had been clutching to his chest. Red light pooled on the surrounding snow like blood, cast by a large crimson orb he held in his grasp. Black liquid began to pour from the object, giving off an inky smoke as it made contact with the ground. Horrified, Eli watched as a figure formed out of the liquid, and then rose from the earth, pitch-black droplets falling from its body. It was Weavile.

"I'm sorry, but I need your Fear," the man who was once Clave said to the apparition. It turned to him with unseeing eyes, and gave a silent hiss. The man reached out to touch the figure, and then was enveloped in a murky cloud of smoke as it returned to liquid form and instantly gushed over his body, enveloping his skin.

Eli started to run, his mouth dry with terror. This was beyond his expertise.

Something tickled Latias' face, and she woke up sneezing. The sun had not yet risen, and the surrounding landscape appeared as an inky silhouette; however, the soft white light emanating from the dragon's feathers was enough to see what had roused her from slumber. Her eyes grew wide, and she floated upward, staring at the ground.

"Ren, wake up," she hissed into the boy's mind. He groaned, and then slowly got to his feet, his eyes still closed.

"What is it?" Ren asked.

"Did we fall asleep in a patch of grass?"

Ren opened his eyes just enough to see, and found himself standing at the exact center of a perfect circle of plants. "I don't remember," he replied. Something told him in his half-awake state that this situation was rather peculiar, but he wasn't sure why.

"Perhaps because it's winter, and the grass would have had to be growing under a foot of snow before we arrived," Latias offered.

"You're right, that doesn't make sense," Ren said groggily. Then he realized what was so odd, and came fully awake. "This grew overnight," he realized aloud.

"In a perfect circle, as well," Latias added.

The pair stared down at the circle of grass. It grew imperceptibly slowly up at them. Ren finally stooped down, pulled off a gauntlet, and ran a hand through the lush green blades.

"Well, it's definitely real grass," he said, plucking a piece and rolling it between his fingers. "I've never seen or heard of anything like this."

"It may have something to do with your new ability," Latias mused, regarding Ren's gently glowing eyes with her own. He looked up at her.

"So my ability is to grow grass? Exciting," he said, without feeling particularly excited.

Latias nodded noncommittally: she appeared lost in thought. Suddenly she asked, "Ren, how does your arm feel?"

The boy looked at the shoulder which had been struck by the throwing knife. "Fine," he answered. "It doesn't hurt, at least."

"Take off the bandage."

Ren gave the dragon a puzzled look, but pulled off the strip of cloth just the same. The skin underneath displayed a conspicuous lack of injury. There wasn't so much as a scar.

"What…"

"That's it!" Latias exclaimed. "Ren, your ability must promote healing. Growth. Regeneration in general. How else do you explain your arm healing and the grass growing so quickly? Also, your eyes started glowing just after you were injured the other night. The ability must have manifested in response to that."

"That all sounds reasonable," Ren replied. "It seems to affect a limited area, as well," he added, noting the size of the green patch he was kneeling in. It was about the size of his room at home, he thought before he could catch himself.

He had decided the previous night that accompanying Latias and their friends in the search for the Chronicles was more important than the promise of a warm bed, food, and the love of his parents, but that didn't mean he didn't feel homesick. If anything, he felt worse now that he had made up his mind: until that point, the thought that he could return home if he so desired was at least some comfort.

Latias sensed his thoughts. "Since we'll be nearby when we visit Griffith, it would most likely be acceptable to check in on your parents as long as we remain invisible. We can't interact with them, but you can at least assure yourself that everything is in order."

"Can we really!?" Ren's entire being radiated excitement. Latios stirred nearby, and he clapped a hand to his mouth. "I'd like that," he thought to Latias, regaining some of his composure. "I'd like that a lot."

Latias smiled. "I would, too." She grew silent for a moment, then, "what is it like, to have a home? To have a family?"

At first, Ren didn't know what to say. He had always lived with his father, mother, and brother in the same house. Their existence seemed a given, a fact of life. He had never seriously considered what it would be like without his family or a place to call home. He realized abruptly that he was the only one within the group to have such a background. For all intents and purposes, Latias, Latios, Kairn, and Houndoom were orphans.

Latias watched him expectantly, waiting for an answer. "It's difficult to describe," he began at last. "I suppose we're something like a family," he said, motioning to indicate the group. "We live together, work together, eat together, sleep together…families are basically like that."

"So you are friends with your family?" Latias asked.

"Well, yes," Ren responded. "But our relationship is a bit different from friendship. Even if we didn't get along with each other, we'd still be related. We'd still be a family. Does that make sense?"

"I think so," Latias answered. "Do you feel differently about your family than your friends?"

"You shouldn't ask me such hard questions so early in the morning," Ren moaned, and rubbed a hand across his face. He thought for a long time before speaking again. "It's a similar feeling, but…deeper. More basic. Because no matter what, we'll always share a connection that can't be broken. In the end, your family will always be your family. It does make you feel somewhat differently towards them than other people, but I'm not sure how to describe it."

"I believe I know what you mean," Latias ventured. "When I remembered my father yesterday, I somehow knew it was him. I didn't recognize him, but I knew who he was. That's why I asked. So he's my family, then. According to the Chronicles, though, if an Eon Dragon hatches only once every thousand years, that memory must be just as old. I don't think members of our race live that long, which means…" She hesitated. "Ren?"

"Yes?"

"Is there a way for friends to become family? What I mean is, when all of this is over, would it be possible for me to…join yours?"

At that moment, Kairn yawned loudly, stood up, and stretched. Noticing that the two were awake, he strode over, saying "you always seem to be up while the rest of us are asleep. It's as though we're in some story in which you two are main characters, and you're being given the chance to hold private conversations while the rest of us minor characters are out of the way."

"That's ridiculous," Ren said while Latias mumbled something about sure knowing story structure for someone who couldn't read well. "Did you hit your head last night?"

"Not that I know of," Kairn answered, pressing against his forehead experimentally with his fingertips.

"Actually, I suppose this will all be part of the Eon Chronicles someday, when I get a chance to write it down," Ren said. "And don't think so little of yourself, Kairn. You're playing a major role in all of this, too."

"You think so? Well, make sure you put me in a good light when you write about me. Refresh my memory: how many dark creatures did I slay the other night? I think it was around ten thousand."

"I seem to recall around ten total," Ren replied snidely. "In any case, when I do write our edition of the Chronicles, I'll try to be as accurate as possible."

"Before you get to that," Latias jumped in, "we still need to find the editions that have already been written. To that end, our next stop is Griffith's, and the sooner we get there, the better. Now someone wake up Latios and Houndoom so we can be on our way."

Later that day, the group of friends stood in silent mortification before the crumbled remains of what had once been Griffith's home. One side of the structure was completely reduced to rubble, and the other half looked as though it might collapse at any moment.

"Griffith!" Latias shouted, broadcasting her thoughts as loud as she could. Before anyone could react, she flew up to the devastated building and disappeared inside the part that still stood.

"Wait, Latias!" Ren ran after her, followed closely by the others. "It's not safe!"

A wall gave way, and the roof above groaned before partially collapsing into the space below. Latias flew out again from the other side of the house, her original entrance blocked. She was crying. "Griffith!" she shouted again. "Griffith!"

"Is he still inside?" Latios asked anxiously. "Maybe he made it out safe. I don't sense him nearby."

"That might mean he's dead!" Latias cried. "I didn't see him, but I couldn't check every room—"

And then there was Gengar, hanging in the air before all of them. He flashed his wicked smile as they all jumped in fright simultaneously: Latias just barely resisted blasting him with a ray of sunlight. Still smiling, the apparition reached into his mouth, and pulled out an envelope that was somehow perfectly dry.

"What's this?" Ren asked, stepping forward and accepting the folded paper from the ghostly pokémon. "To Ren, Kairn, Latias, Latios, and Houndoom. From Griffith," he added, and then exchanged glances with the group. He opened the letter.

"I have instructed Gengar to give you this letter upon your return," the neat, bold writing began. "I realized that it was unwise for me to stay here after the Murkrow spotted us together, if they were indeed under the influence of our enemy. Therefore, after informing your parents of your situation, we all moved to a secret location far from here, where we should be safe." At this point, Latias appeared extremely relieved. "I have hidden the Chronicles in a location that only Gengar knows, along with a few supplies and your finished saddles. He will lead you there. Instructions on how to use the saddles are included at the end of this letter. Ren, your parents also wished to say a few things to you, so I allowed them to dictate. The next segment of this letter will be their words."

Ren read the next part to himself.

Dear Ren,

Where to begin. We are proud, excited, and afraid all at once. Proud to call you our son, excited to see how you've grown in undertaking this task, and afraid for your safety. We are still trying to come to grips with what you've gotten yourself into!

Griffith tells us that you have made some good new friends: please take care of each other, and please don't take any unnecessary risks. We want you to come home after all of this is over. Remember what we've taught you over the years, and you should do fine. Also, don't worry about us. We are in good health, and Griffith is taking good care of us. He seems very knowledgeable.

We want you to remember that we love you, and will always be thinking of you, even if we won't be able to be with you in the days ahead. Our best wishes and hopes go with you, Ren

The boy folded up the letter and put it in his pack as Gengar began to lead the group away from Griffith's ruined home. He walked silently as a mixture of emotions welled up inside him.

"Are you alright?" Latias asked, floating alongside him.

"Yes, I think I am," Ren replied. "My parents say they're doing well, and they wish us the best of luck." He smiled.

Latias smiled back, and placed a paw on his shoulder. "You'll have to introduce me to them when all this is over. They sound like good people."

Ren nodded. "They are. Oh, and about your earlier question," he added, remembering back to their conversation that morning. "There's something called adoption, in which a family brings in an outside individual as one of their own. I don't know if it works for pokémon, but we could figure something out. I think that would make you my sister, which is strange to consider."

"That is odd," Latias agreed, "but I'd be willing to try it." She paused for a moment, staring at the backs of the rest of the group, who were walking in front. "What about them? Do you think they'd want to be adopted?"

Ren nearly tripped. "I…I could ask, I suppose," he stammered. "I don't know what my parents would say about having that many extra mouths to feed, though. We're not exactly wealthy."

"We'll probably be able to take care of ourselves for the most part," Latias said. "Although I don't know: between Latios and Kairn, the entire region may be out of food by the time we find the Chronicles." They both laughed.

"What are you two up to back there?" Kairn asked from up ahead.

Ren explained the conversation they had been having. "And we were wondering if you might want to join my family, as well."

Kairn stopped walking. "A place to live?" he said quietly. "A warm bed and food every day?" He remembered back to the start of winter, to time spent wandering the streets and seeing all of the candlelit windows lining each one. He would often try to imagine what it must be like inside in order to keep his mind off of how cold the weather was becoming. "Yes," he answered simply and resolutely.

The group walked quietly for a moment. "Well, if you all are going to do this, I don't see why I wouldn't join you," Latios reasoned.

"It's settled then," Latias said, grinning widely. "Pending your parents' approval, of course," she added hastily to Ren.

"I think they'll be fine with it," he responded. "They may take a little coaxing, but I don't think they'd refuse."

Latias nodded, still grinning. "I don't know why, but I'm excited about this. Brothers." She giggled at how foreign the word sounded when referring to her friends.

The group pressed on for a good amount of time after that, until Gengar finally halted. He pulled a large key out of his mouth, causing the others to wonder what else he kept in there. Then he cleared away a patch of snow with a blast of murky energy, revealing a door made of orange metal.

"That looks like the metal that Eli's house was plated with," Latios noted. "Interesting."

Genger turned his key in the lock with a click, and then pulled the door open amidst a long groan from the hinges. He disappeared inside the dark space underneath for a minute or two, and then came back carrying a large sack.

Within the sack was a smaller one filled with dry rations and some honey from Ren's parents, along with Griffith's editions of the Eon Chronicles and what appeared to be two heaps of leather strips. These turned out to be the saddles: they boasted no obvious seats, but each had a pair of curious metal plates worked into their intricate design.

Ren consulted the letter from Griffith, which stated that the plates could hold onto he and Kairn's armor without the use of buckles or knots. All they had to do was place the metal armor on their legs against the plates, and they would be stuck fast. Ren held one of the plates to his leg experimentally: it jumped the remaining distance with a clang and refused to be pried off. Referring back to the letter, Ren learned that he had to twist his leg in just such a way in order to be released: he held the plate tight in his hands and executed the movement, and the plate fell away.

"Well that's certainly different," Latias said. "I wonder how they work."

"Must be some form of magic," Latios suggested. "Anyway, let's put them on and get moving. I don't want to stay around here longer than necessary."

It took the entire group to puzzle out how the complex saddles fit over their respective wearers. Finally, Kairn tightened one last buckle around Latios' neck, and then stepped back. The devices were extremely light, and designed in such a way as to not hamper movement. They were simple, yet elegant: both of the dragons approved.

"It looks good on you," Latios told Latias.

"You too," she laughed.

Ren and Kairn climbed up onto the dragons' backs, their leg armor clicking into place. Everyone rendered him or herself invisible, with Houndoom adopting his shadow form to wrap unobtrusively around Kairn. "Shall we?" Ren asked while taking hold of one of the straps around Latias' neck.

"Let's," the dragon replied, and surged off towards the signal of the closest Eon Chronicles.

--------

Last edited:

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
At that moment, Kairn yawned loudly, stood up, and stretched. Noticing that the two were awake, he strode over, saying "you always seem to be up while the rest of us are asleep. It's as though we're in some story in which you two are main characters, and you're being given the chance to hold private conversations while the rest of us minor characters are out of the way."

"That's ridiculous," Ren said while Latias mumbled something about sure knowing story structure for someone who couldn't read well. "Did you hit your head last night?"

"Not that I know of," Kairn answered, pressing against his forehead experimentally with his fingertips.

"Actually, I suppose this will all be part of the Eon Chronicles someday, when I get a chance to write it down," Ren said. "And don't think so little of yourself, Kairn. You're playing a major role in all of this, too."

"You think so? Well, make sure you put me in a good light when you write about me. Refresh my memory: how many dark creatures did I slay the other night? I think it was around ten thousand."

"I seem to recall around ten total," Ren replied snidely. "In any case, when I do write our edition of the Chronicles, I'll try to be as accurate as possible."

Hmm, VERY inserting. Some foreshadowing I presume?

Years
This is a well-written story, txteclipse. Thinking back on how you've written it, I'm surprised I didn't notice it when I first joined back in 2007. I especially liked the description of Rayquaza, it was superbly done. I hope you continue this, because I'd liked to be on a PM List if you don't mind.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
This is a well-written story, txteclipse. Thinking back on how you've written it, I'm surprised I didn't notice it when I first joined back in 2007. I especially liked the description of Rayquaza, it was superbly done. I hope you continue this, because I'd liked to be on a PM List if you don't mind.

Yeah, I'm still writing it. I'll add you to the "notify list" I have going, haha. Anyway, thanks for reading! Glad you like it!

Back