• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script: [Essentials v17] Following Pokemon v 1.4.1

Snooper16

The Bionic Man
Years
  • Getting a strange occurrence after healing my Pokemon at the Pokemon Center, though it doesn't necessarily crash the game. When the nurse returns my Pokemon, two of them begin to follow me (when I technically should only have one), and I can't (as far as I know) interact with the one closest to my character. For reference, my situation is I have a lone Mimikyu in my party. It is the only Pokemon in my party. After healing it at a Pokemon Center, a "clone" will appear along with the intended one, appearing behind the first Mimikyu that spawned. As stated before, I cannot interact with these Mimikyu, and the party says I still only have one.

Page 1 of the event. There are two instances of the script references used. One of them is highlighted, and the other is repeated shortly afterwards in the next part of the conditional branch.
    Page 2 of the event. The script reference is only in the highlighted part in this one.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2023
    Pokemon Following by Mej71 question.

So in my Pokemon game, I need Pikachu to follow the player. I tried using a partner Pokemon but it doesn't work with surfing and flying. I want to have classic HMs and not make alternate options for it. So is there a way to get Mej71's script and change it to make specifically one Pokemon follow you so you can surf and do normal stuff?

I really need some way to fix it, thank you!

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    So in my Pokemon game, I need Pikachu to follow the player. I tried using a partner Pokemon but it doesn't work with surfing and flying. I want to have classic HMs and not make alternate options for it. So is there a way to get Mej71's script and change it to make specifically one Pokemon follow you so you can surf and do normal stuff?

I really need some way to fix it, thank you!

I've merged your question into the Following Pokémon thread. Please ask questions about resources in the threads that already exist. :)

Years
  • I had a compatibility problem with the multi-player system. When the second protagonist catches the Pokémon this error occurs:

BCbRvT7.jpg

I created a fix for this problem, and here is my suggestion:

Look for line 1559 of Following_Pokemon, it should be this one:

5DJb2RL.jpg

Add in the line just above the term begin, and in the line just below the term rescue, and just below rescue put an end, as in the image:

XkDWQtM.jpg

The code:

Code:
          if Input.trigger?(Input::C) # try to talk to pokemon
            begin
              $PokemonTemp.dependentEvents.talk_to_pokemon
            rescue
              # Nothing happens if the protagonist 
              # doesn't have a dependent yet but has already 
              # activated the switch
            end
          end

The comment is not necessary, but I put it to explain the reason for this try/catch in this function.

Hope this helps.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Surrouding something with a try/catch, or (begin/rescue in Ruby) is not a solution. It's a workaround. I assume that in this case, that means not being able to talk with the follower.

Years
  • Yes, this is a workaround. To correct this case, you would have to validate if there is more than one protagonist and if that protagonist took the no partner. But in any case, this try / catch does not prevent talking to the partner, what happens is that in case the first protagonist has already caught the addict, when the second protagonist will get the code, he understands that we are trying to talk to the partner who we already had before, so I used try / catch. This has no effect on the functioning of the addict, only the error that stops showing.

Sorry my english, I don't speak this language.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2021
    Hi guys, i need help.
    When i run my game it crashes and says:

Script 'Following Pokemon' line 1431: Name Error occurred.
    undefined method 'pbSwitch' for class 'PokemonPartyScreen'

I have Pokemon Essentials 17.2.
    Thanks for the attention.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2022
    Hi guys, i need help.
    When i run my game it crashes and says:

Script 'Following Pokemon' line 1431: Name Error occurred.
    undefined method 'pbSwitch' for class 'PokemonPartyScreen'

I have Pokemon Essentials 17.2.
    Thanks for the attention.

Rename all the 'PokemonPartyScreen' to 'PokemonScreen' in the Following Pokemon Script.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2021
    Hey, when I press F to use a key item while having a Pokémon with a field move in my party, I get this:
    ---------------------------
    Error
    Script 'Follower' line 1083: ArgumentError occurred.

wrong number of arguments(2 for 3)

from 'Follower' line 1083 in `triggerCanUseMove'
    from 'Follower' line 1083 in `pbCanUseHiddenMove?'
    from 'PScreen_ReadyMenu' line 310 in `pbUseKeyItem'
    from 'PScreen_ReadyMenu' line 307 in `each'
    from 'PScreen_ReadyMenu' line 307 in `pbUseKeyItem'
    from 'PScreen_ReadyMenu' line 304 in `each'
    from 'PScreen_ReadyMenu' line 304 in `pbUseKeyItem'
    from 'Scene_Map' line 219 in `follow_update'
    from 'Follower' line 1551 in `update'
    from 'Scene_Map' line 234 in `main'
    from 'Scene_Map' line 231 in `loop'
    from 'Scene_Map' line 236 in `main'
    OK

any fixes?

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2021
    I have a problem, the pokemon follows me and I can see the animations when I talk to him, but when using the command: $PokemonTemp.dependentEvents.refresh_sprite
    this error appears:

prntscr. com/t8q6vu

I had to separate the. com because the forum won't let me post links.

WolfPP

Spriter/ Pixel Artist
    Years
  • I have a problem, the pokemon follows me and I can see the animations when I talk to him, but when using the command: $PokemonTemp.dependentEvents.refresh_sprite
    this error appears:

prntscr. com/t8q6vu

I had to separate the. com because the forum won't let me post links.

Read your error buddy. What is 'isDeltap'? Do you have it in your game (delta pokémon)? If not, just use CTRL SHIFT F and delete all codes that use 'isDeltap?', if you have it, you need to define it inside 'def change_sprite' IIRC.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2021
    Spoiler:

This always happens when I return the pokemon to the pokeball, either with the Ctrl key, or in the pokemon center.

Years
  • I'm getting this over and over every time I blacked out
    I updated the script and I'm using 17.2

Exception: NoMethodError

Follow:247:in `refresh_sprite'

Follow:1800:in `transfer_player'

Follow:1906:in `pbStartOver'

PField_Battles:432

PField_Battles:409:in `call'

EventHandlers:54:in `trigger'

EventHandlers:49:in `each'

EventHandlers:49:in `trigger'

PField_Battles:406:in `pbAfterBattle'

PField_Battles:100:in `pbWildBattle_ebs'

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2023
    Is there a way for me to go into the scripts and make it only allow one Pokémon to follow you, regardless of if they're first or not? Maybe something like a partner Pokémon, but not, because if you try to surf or fly it won't work.

Any help would be nice, thanks!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2022
    Got 2 questions:

1. when the first Pokémon in my party faints, the Overworld Shadow still persists and keeps following me - can I either make the Overworld Shadow disappear or still let fainted Pokémon follow me?

2. when I walk near water or through puddles, there's a reflection of my player but not my following Pokémon - can I either make it reflect my following Pokémon too or disable the player reflection?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2022
    Got 2 questions:

1. when the first Pokémon in my party faints, the Overworld Shadow still persists and keeps following me - can I either make the Overworld Shadow disappear or still let fainted Pokémon follow me?

2. when I walk near water or through puddles, there's a reflection of my player but not my following Pokémon - can I either make it reflect my following Pokémon too or disable the player reflection?

I think we've solved these problems in this post or in the script posts (Overworld Shadow and Water Reflection)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2022
    Sadly I couldn't find anything by searching for them, guess I'll have to read through all those threads then (yikes) but good to know they've been solved, thanks for the answer! :)

Back