• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ever encountered the Move "Struggle"?

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    When all the PP of all a Pokemon's moves run out, they have the option of using a move called Struggle, which inflicts damage on the foe, and also on the user by recoil.

I was trying to catch the HGSS Zapdos using a PokeBall and it got to a point where I had to stall as I had less than 20 PokeBalls (from 50) left and the Zapdos just wouldn't get in. After stalling with my really low level Bellsprout using Flash repeatedly causing the Zapdos to miss and then Growth for stalling until the Zapdos finally hit and it fainted, I switched back in my Traded level 100 Gengar who has hypnotise. All in all, the Zapdos didn't let up and it used Struggle, got recoil and fainted. I'd always wanted to know what would happen if a wild Pokemon ran out of all their moves, I was going to do this with the Ho-Oh but I ran out of PokeBalls so I just through a Love Ball.

Has you ever come across this move, whether with your own Pokemon or with a wild Pokemon you were facing?

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Happened to me once, a long time ago. I'm not sure which pokemon it was... perhaps my Umbreon or something. I had used all of its moves in a huge war against a foe who kept using healing moves on itself... it was quite annoying.

Years
    Sure I've seen Struggle before, numerous times. If I remember correctly, the first time was while using a Geodude with Tackle as its only move in Red version.
    The best was however a battle against a trainer's Metapod getting struggle because my Pokemon (I think it was a Nidoran f) ran out of all its non-status move PP.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    I have encountered this move about almost half the times I have fought a legendary Pokemon that I want to catch.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Only encountered it once in Emerald, battling Juan. I had just kept reviving my Pokemon after his Kingdra fainted them and let it waste all its PP.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I always see it when I'm trying to catch the Regi trio. They have a lot of low PP attacks. -_-

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
    I've had the same experience, though I knew of the move beforehand. I was using Timer Balls against a Groudon in Ruby and before I could capture it, the Groudon Struggled itself to death. Quite annoying.

nm legend

Years
    the only time i encountered? it was when i was in battle factory and i had a cradily...... it was the longest battle ever....i was goin against a skarmory and i couldnt toxic it, and it couldnt defeat my cradliy either......so my cradily commited seppuku* after struggling for so long.....

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2011
    This happened to me in Platinum, when I was trying to catch Giratina in a Cherish Ball. It always came out, and it was at 1 HP. It used Struggle and fainted. Good thing I saved before the battle, right?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    the only time i encountered? it was when i was in battle factory and i had a cradily...... it was the longest battle ever....i was goin against a skarmory and i couldnt toxic it, and it couldnt defeat my cradliy either......so my cradily commited seduku after struggling for so long.....

Seppuku*

I had a similar experience, but I won because Mirror Coat + Barrier have ridiculous amount of PP and Recover x 16 > any amount of Drill Peck.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    If I fail to catch a legendary Pokemon within a certain amount of turns, that's when it Struggles (the amount of turns depends on the total amount of PP the Pokemon has for its moves). Usually, the legend KOs itself, but I reset when that happens.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I knew about it from those silly Metapod v. Kakuna battles I was ever so fond of back when I played R/B. XD

Years
    Lol, I remember my first time seeing the move Struggle. I was trying to catch a Chansey in Pearl for AGES (I just couldn't catch the damn thing), and it eventually used Struggle and KO'd itself. T_T I had no idea that that move existed, so I was pretty confused. ._.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    Once in Silver I was fighting a wild Kakuna with my Cyndaquil, tackle had like 10 PP left and it missed all 10 times. So I was using leer for the rest of the battle and Kakuna used Harden. It was a long fight but I won thanks to my berry.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    Like Sydian, mainly with the Regi Trio. They're the only legendary Pokemon I ever want, so I stay in battle for a very long time with them. I had a Lairon use it once on my Cradily. Roar ran out thanks to Suction Cups, and I withstood Iron Tail (thank you Hyper Potions).
    Other than that, no.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    On one of the console games, I think, maybe PBR. I think the opponent used Torment on one of my brother's Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf so it would have to use Struggle every other turn until the Torment wore off.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    To those who have experienced it with their Pokemon, what does it look like? By this I mean how those it come up on your moves list?

Back