• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Ever made it through diglett's cave without HM05?

Years
    On the gameboy pocket, I turned my contrast right up when I was playing yellow, I went in the cave and discovered that I could just barely see the outlines, so I wanted to see if it was even possible to make it though the cave before I got the HM.. Well I saved it when I was halfway (I was a very weak lvl for this cave) and went back the wrong way, once I found the entry, I went back again and made it all the way. It was a long time ago but as I remember the game was still playable but I think I had to come back and do things properly later.. Just wondering if anyone ever did this or something like it

Years
    I vaguely remember getting through with the help of a friend. With Red/Blue, you could change the color schemes with a certain key comb when booting up, so that could help.

ShadowDragon~

Dragon King Extra Ordinaire
    Years
    I did, i remember playing the game as a little kid, just walking around, not even knowing the aim, and just walking through the darkness with my team full of caterpies... (and of course starrter n pidgey) :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Pfeh, the cave is lit, Flash has no use in Diglett's Cave.
    Still, on my first time playing I went through Rock Tunnel without Flash (I was a bit too young to understand how the Machine worked).
    I've never gotten through the Seafoam Islands though.

FalseSwipe

Finish him with False Swipe!
    Years
    I never use flash. Too lazy to pick it up and find a slave.
    I always go in the dark

Maesic

It almost sounds like music..
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2013
    Yeah, I always thought flash was kinda useless. I only used it if I felt too lazy to figure out where the walls were. xD

Years
    I don't know, it only takes 5 seconds to teach it to a pokemon you're never gonna use anyways. Why not take those 5 seconds, because it will save you a lot more than that when you don't have to feel your way through a cave.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    To answer the title of the thread, yes i've made it through Diglett's Cave plenty of times without HM05.

Assuming you meant 'Rock Tunnel', then yeah that too. In fact nowadays I usually skip getting Flash altogether. I know my way around the tunnel well enough, I don't mind fighting trainers and so long as i've packed plenty of repels the Zubats aren't much of an annoyance.

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I never ever In my life have used Flash i like the challenge of Only seeing a little bit of the screen and never knowing where the trainers are

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Yes, Diglett's cave isn't very hard to get through without Flash - even if it's helpful to see where you're going.
    Most of the caves are reasonably easy to get through without Flash, except maybe Victory Road ones.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    I was once playing Gold on my Nintendo 64, using Pokemon Stadium 2, and, when I went into Dark Cave, it was completely lit because of the television settings. I found it funny and decided to use my Nintendo 64 whenever I wanted to get though Dark Cave on Gold.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I never use or have HM05. I always forget the HM and its not important to me... xD

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    HM05 is useless in Metal gen, since you can see the walls.. i just check every place, in leaf green i used flash

xsh4d0wx

lul
    Years
    I remember it the first time i went through, i had weak pokemon no HM05 and i had to kept leaving and re-entering because i had no idea where i was going to i battled alot of pokemon and trainers.

and to this day i never use HM05

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
    Years
    I was an impatient little kid when I first played through my Yellow version, and didn't want to catch extra Pokemon just so I could get Flash by the time I got to Rock Tunnel. I thought I'd be able to get through it okay without, but the impatience struck again as I was feeling around, and I restarted my game. XD;

Years
    I remember the first time I played... I didn't even know there was an Hm05 so I just went through the cave. I thought playing in the darkness was just part of the game.

Back