• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Exclusively "current Gen" team?

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Something I've done on my first playthrough with every Pokemon game since Ruby/Sapphire is have a team made up exclusively of Pokemon from that Generation.
    For example, I only use Gen 3 Pokemon on Ruby/Sapphire, Gen 4 Pokemon on Diamond/Pearl, etc.
    Does anyone else do this? I find it's a great way to get to know and appreciate the generation more. It's alot more exciting to use all fresh Pokemon than to just catch all old ones because that's your comfort zone. Even if I'm tempted by one of my favourite Pokemon from a previous Generation, I refuse to put it in my team, but from my 2nd playthrough onwards I will mix generations.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    I do the same thing for the same reason! I'm sure a bunch of people do as well. If I get both versions, like X and Y, I'll play the first one with a team of guys I think look cool. Then Y I'll wait to see who's really powerful and try to find them, but all exclusive guys. Then after I've beaten both versions, I'll usually keep one to fill up the pokedex and replay the other with a mixture of pokemon from different generations.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I don't do exclusively all new Pokemon, but I certainly lean that way when teambuilding for the first playthrough.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I always say I will, but if someone hands me a gift pokemon from another generation I'll probably use it.

Years
    Most of the games I played often had me using older Pokemon alongside the new ones, while I mainly try to have new ones present on the team. For Sun & Moon I might actually plan to use a team of only the new Pokemon for a change.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    I try to keep my Pokemon all of that region/generation, but if there just are not enough I may use older gen Pokemon. Just aslong as I never reuse them :) Meaning I could use the treeko line three times, each would just stay one of the three evolutions.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    I do this too. When a new gen comes out, I want to use the new pokemon of course. On any later playthoughs I usually have a mixed team though.

The only exception was gen 2 back in the day. Since there were only 100 new ones and all the gen 1 and 2 pokemon were mixed together, especially on the earlier routes.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    I do the same on my second run, enjoying all the new Pokemon.
    On my first run I use my most favorite Pokemon.

Back