• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fake Pokemon Fans.

Years
Is anyone here angry or have some negative feeling over people who have been playing Pokemon GO? For me I have this strange negative reaction to people who are suddenly into Pokemon and talk nonstop about it now because they play GO. Like they go ahead and act as if they've been into it and following it throughout its entire run as a franchise. Mind you I am not the type to feel that way about players since I enjoy when younger kids start no matter what generation they played first, be it Gen 1 or 6. I always welcome new players and understand that they were born later and later games would be their first, I know some people call them fake or so fans. I can't help feeling like that about Pokemon GO though. I honestly think it's just a craze and will die out eventually because honestly as a game it isn't all that great despite it being really fun.

One big thing about this that bothers me though is that people like me and some other friends I know are pokemon obsessed since Gen 1. Like honestly I've never stopped being into and fanboying over it since I was a kid. And one thing we're known for is pokemon. You say our names and instantly think of "yeah that dude is a huge pokemon fan". Now everyone is and it just makes people who are real fans drowned out in the craze and seem like we are riding the bandwagon too. I don't even have the freaking game and people at my work are telling me I'm wrong about stuff when I'm sitting around talking to my roommates who work there about the main games. I have people left and right telling me "no lucky egg does this" or "how do you know how many steps it takes to hatch a egg, you counted kilometers worth of steps?" I'm just like "seriously, have you even played pokemon? Stay out of my conversation please." It's things like that that get me mad. Maybe I'm making a big fuss and probably am, but I'm hoping someone knows what I'm feeling.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 14, 2018
I may be late from replying, but what I also get angry about is that nowadays, people who once played Pokemon GO before look down on players who are still playing Pokemon GO. The only benefit I can think of when this happens is that you can easily spot a fake pokemon fan. But overall, I don't like it when they suddenly look down upon Pokemon.

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
I may be late from replying, but what I also get angry about is that nowadays, people who once played Pokemon GO before look down on players who are still playing Pokemon GO. The only benefit I can think of when this happens is that you can easily spot a fake pokemon fan. But overall, I don't like it when they suddenly look down upon Pokemon.

It's definitely frustrating.
As one of many who has spent money and time on the franchise, to have someone lecture me on what Pok?mon is and how good they are at Pok?mon Go annoys the living hell outta' me.
This idea of "I played Pok?mon Go so now I know Pok?mon" will only be encouraged as more content is created to fuel this side of the fan base.... it's unhealthy for the franchise.

With the birth of games such as "Pok?mon, Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee" we can see that Nintendo is directing its focus away from the core series (the ones that fans play) and is attempting to attract as many new players as possible. This isn't bad as it is aimed at kids. However if we look at franchises such as My Little Pony.... Kids will definitely not be the only ones playing it seriously.....

Years
I want to give my perspective on Pokemon Go. I am totally new to the Pokemon franchise in the vain that most of you veteran members are. I certainly was aware the majority of my life what Pokemon wasand the premise of it, but never collected the cards or played the card game and still don?t. I decided not so long ago to binge watch every season of Pokemon and I am on that journey right now and enjoying it. I have also recently joined in playing Pokemon Go certainly not to lecture anyone on the finer points of Pokemon but just to have fun and enjoy the game.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
To me their's three types of people in this: The ones that have been in it since the beginning, The ones who are just now getting into it (either because of age or just now wanting to get in), and then there are the ones you wanna punch in the face because they jump on the band wagon and think they are cool until something else comes starts up.

The last group of people need to just go away. They are the ones who act like they've been in it the entire time yet couldn't name the gym leaders from Gen 1 if you were to ask them. They act like it's been cool this whole time yet would be the ones to harass and make fun of you in high school if you were to even mumble the word Pokemon. So yes I hate this type that have to jump in and play as if they were into it all along because we know the truth.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
To me their's three types of people in this: The ones that have been in it since the beginning, The ones who are just now getting into it (either because of age or just now wanting to get in), and then there are the ones you wanna punch in the face because they jump on the band wagon and think they are cool until something else comes starts up.

Those last two are now really hard to tell apart. You could just be coming into the Pokemon series with the current gen after playing some other franchises such as Final Fantasy and Zelda, and yet you've been gaming for a long time. The problem is the bad timing of SM with how it basically rode on GO's success and made the list as one of the best-selling 3DS titles because of it. It's now really hard to tell whether you're legit getting into the Pokemon series because you wanted to try it, or you're just riding on the bandwagon. I got a comment on one of my YouTube videos which can show just how bad this bandwagon can get:
HeroLinik you must be 12, and your first game was sun and moon, not like the real fans who grew up with gen 1.
This may just be written off as genwunner pandering, but it can be pretty scary to face because of the heavy likelihood that you got in through GO and wanted to try out the main series. After being shut up by another commenter, he deleted the comment and pretended that nothing had happened. As for the whole "GO players vs Pokemon megafans" thing, I did once encounter a young chap who was playing GO with his mother, and we had a good discussion about what our best CPs were and so on...until I pointed out that I was planning on evolving my Magneton and Piloswine. Here's how the convo played out:

Me: Oh wow, are you on Pokemon GO?
Young chap: Yeah I am, these are my highest CP mons!
Me: Ooooh, that Piloswine though! I'm planning to evolve mine!
Young chap: Dude, are you stupid? Piloswine doesn't evolve!

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I actually like it when someone is really into GO despite not having played the normal games. Especially the older crowd, if they play Go a lot, I'll talk to them about it. I mean it's perfectly accessible to play as a stand alone game, and it's enjoyable enough! So I can't begrudge people of that. Also it's free, and not everyone can afford the main games so like *shrugs*

I also like that Go has gotten more ppl into the other games.

What I do dislike, is when people pretend to play the other games, and you ask them questions and they awk af about it. Lol

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
It might be annoying to try and talk real competitive battling with someone who's only ever known Go, but as a whole, it doesn't bother me.

Pokemon really isn't that big of a thing for me, personally. It's just a fun RPG I like playing with, that I find a lot of like-minded adults play as well.

So, I can't really say I value the 'sanctity' of the series. The only part of the franchise I care at all about are the games and am utterly embarrassed by the rest of it.

And to be honest, I don't really like the games that much either; not from a story or character point, just strictly for the gameplay.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Fake fans annoy me. In the thankfully long gone days of the 2016 GO fad when it was spammed all over the internet and social media, a former acquaintance would boast and lecture me on Pokemon, which was funny because I'm the pokemon dork. He'd brag about catching all the original 151. And he didn't even know any past that number. I also remember some cringy kids not even old enough to have been around the OS, playing the 4kids OS theme song out loud. It may sound pathetically arrogant and elitist of me to complain about fake fans of a children's game but hey I think it's completely justified.

Luckily the fad is dead and I doubt it'll come back for Let's GO on the Switch because the reason why the fad was so disgustingly strong was cause it was a free phone app. I doubt those same millions of players will fork over 400-500+ dollars for the game, a Switch and some dumb accessories. Hopefully Let's GO doesn't become a fad and is milked excessively on top of everything else pokemon related.

Last edited:

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
As "day one" players, we shoudn't be reacting negatively to people who are new to the franchise. So what if they found a love for Pokemon through Pokemon GO? It was a huge hit at the time, and drew in a bunch of kids and adults alike who probably never played the main series, but that doesn't make them fake fans.

In the same way that someone who loves the anime but doesn't play the games is not a fake / bad fan. People can enjoy Pokemon in any way they wish, and that's all that matters.

We can't go back in time, and it seems like you're being quite exclusionary to people who found a love for Pokemon through a different means than you did. Gen 1 is done and dusted as an entry point for new players.

I think this thread is really quite mean, honestly.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
I understand a lot of the posts in this thread. While I will not hate on the 'fake fans', it does feel a little disheartening to think people who just like Pokemon to be 'cool' will try to lecture long time, TRUE pokemon lovers a little....at the same time, though, its nice to think all kinds of people are enjoying Pokemon now, even if its not as much in their hearts as it is in the heart of me or someone else on this forum.

That said, I was personally never someone who liked Pokemon cuz it was a 'cool' or 'popular' thing. In fact, during the Pokemon Craze in 1999, I was quite the opposite of that: I couldn't stand the big fuss everyone was making over the series and was just despritely hoping it would end already. To think people say i'm being 'cool' or 'popular' or 'normal' *cringe* because I liked 'girly' things too really does piss me off. I never cared about being 'normal', at least not to too much an extent. Regardless of the fact I was ALWAYS a 'girly girl' (unlike a lot of other people i seem to meet...). I liked doing things my own way. Stereo typing me would only show just how little people understand me and my autism and my obsessions. I'm not 'normal' at all. I'm JUST ME! (*and i have autism -_-*) God....

It hurt when I thought i couldn't like pokemon in the past cuz of how 'girly' I am, and wanted to stay, FOR MY OWN REASONS, too, so thats part of why i'll tollerate 'fake' pokemon go fans. A lot of them could be all kinds of people; including very 'girly' girls like me.

Cuz Pokemon, in the end, really IS for EVERYONE :) And fake fans probably serve a good purpose overall too...

(sorry if this post was confusing)

Last edited:
Back