• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Famicom aka. Nintendo Entertainment System (NES™) Discussion Thread

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    If so, on the NES (or FDS, rather) it is hard. If you play the All-Stars version (or 3DS VC with save states) then it is much more manageable because you can save and don't have to restart the entire game when you lose.
    Doesn't the start + A trick (the one that lets you just start the world you died in instead of the whole game) works on The Lost Levels? I've been pretty much abusing the save states so I wouldn't know.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Doesn't the start + A trick (the one that lets you just start the world you died in instead of the whole game) works on The Lost Levels? I've been pretty much abusing the save states so I wouldn't know.
    I actually wasn't familiar with that trick until a couple of weeks ago! XD

So, maybe? Does it save when you turn the console off? I think it might since it was FDS.

tigerBLADE

1000://PowHammers
    Years
  • So I started to play the game, and... it's quite troublesome to finish. XD A poison mushroom almost got me like, 5 times since it was quite tricky to jump where I want to. :x

That makes me think of a side question - Did you guys think that NES games are way harder than the later gen. games for systems like Nintendo Wii and Gamecube?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • That makes me think of a side question - Did you guys think that NES games are way harder than the later gen. games for systems like Nintendo Wii and Gamecube?

To be honest, I think it depends on the game. Most games back then were shorter at least, but also, you have to consider the time period. Now we have LPs, walkthroughs online, etc and back then it was just Nintendo Power essentially. So that being said, I think it felt harder back then because you knew there was no other way to figure out certain things in games. Now you can just look it up. If you don't give yourself that right however, then I think it's about the same.

As far as certain series go, I would say Kirby games got harder. They were relatively short back then and didn't have all these collectibles to get to unlock the real ending of the game (like Crystal Shards and Return to Dreamland, for example). So I think that makes it easier. Whereas with Mario games, I'd say it was harder back then since you're kind of given a billion extra lives nowadays, like in NSMBW. But in, say, SMB3, it was much more difficult to get ahold of them, as well as items throughout the stages.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I actually wasn't familiar with that trick until a couple of weeks ago! XD
    I actually only knew about it last december. It was mindblowing for me, haha, and I actually immediately booted up SMB to try it out. Made me consider a full playthrough without using warps.
    So I think that makes it easier. Whereas with Mario games, I'd say it was harder back then since you're kind of given a billion extra lives nowadays, like in NSMBW. But in, say, SMB3, it was much more difficult to get ahold of them, as well as items throughout the stages.
    I really don't think that's fair. The amount of lives doesn't really determine the difficulty since it's more of a level design thing for platformers in my opinion. Rayman Origins and Super Meat Boy don't even have lives (Origins even got checkpoints all over) but they're much harder than the original SMB because the level designs are more trial and error focused compared to SMB being streamlined. Granted I haven't played SMB3 as I mentioned before, but NSMB U is probably the most challenging Mario game I've played and I had well over 60 lives. OK, Lost Levels and Sunshine (where lives weren't even important) are obviously harder, but you get my point.

The lives system and lives being sparse is just an archaic system back in the day that replaced proper difficulty and re playability due to the lack of better technology, like RPGs with random encounters. (Can you BELIEVE some RPGs still got this? *coughpokemoncough*) It wasn't hard, it was just annoying. That's why I'm glad that games that still uses lives like DKCR (which is also pretty challenging) and NSMB always give you a ton of them anyway. Also, for the sake of another example, Wario Land 1 is the only Wario platformer with lives and it's the easiest. (You can't even DIE in some of them, like WL2)

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Games are more refined now. How archaic some games were back then lead to their difficulty, but that's like... artificially difficult. Bad game design. Developers know better now for the most part

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Honestly, I was playing the Megaman games for the NES, and I found them to be more difficult than the future Megaman titles (like the one for Playstation). So, I at least think that while the NES games may be shorter in length, some of them do make up for in difficulty... to an extent. That's what I thought anyway.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
    Years
  • Well I've never played with an actual NES myself (only emulators and the Ambassador Program ones), but I definitely think that older games are harder than games of this generation. Though like TRIFORCE has said, in a lot of cases the games are more difficult because of a design flaw or limitations.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • What kinds of music from the NES games did you guys enjoy the most?

Personally, I love the dungeon theme from the NES Legend of Zelda, because of it's notsalgic, dark feel to it:

Stages 1&6 from Batman: Return of the Joker also deserves a mention; because I do love the rhythm:

tabor62

Years
  • Some of my favorite music comes from the Castlevania series:

Castlevania - Vampire Killer
    Spoiler:

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
    Spoiler:

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - Beginning
    Spoiler:

Years
  • All those songs are classics! I adore the music in Castlevania and Punchout! That Batman track was pretty cool too. Some of my personal favorites.

Legend of Kage- Main Theme (I couldn't find the Nes Version as a stand alone song so silent gameplay was the next best thing.)

Spoiler:

Megaman II-Dr. Wily's Castle Stage 1

Spoiler:

Years
  • I'm sitting here thinking about music I've remembered from NES games, and what comes to mind firstly is...Mega Man games. Or maybe some Zelda music (from the second game, mostly. Go go castle theme?), but mostly Mega Man music. Especially if they're from the 2nd or 3rd games, since those struck a chord most with me when I was younger. I never got a chance to play the other games until some years later, so the tunes haven't stuck with me as much.

I mean, Mario and Zelda music and the like are nice, but a lot didn't have the same...action, I suppose? as some of those pieces. So they're classics and I like them, but...they're not the songs getting stuck in my head randomly even to this day. :D

Megaman II-Dr. Wily's Castle Stage 1
    ^^^ LIKE THIS ONE. So much love.

Or another favorite of mine from the second game, Wood Man's Theme:
    Spoiler:

(Now I'm gonna want to go listening to all the music again thanks to that.)

Years
  • . Or maybe some Zelda music (from the second game, mostly. Go go castle theme?)

I totally forgot about the Temple Theme, How could I have forgotten about the temple theme....>_>

Spoiler:

or the stage select music for Megaman II...got me pumped every...single...time

Spoiler:

or the Dragon Quest Main Theme, so amazing, it hasn't changed in...ever!

Spoiler:

Years
  • Blaster Master - Area 1
    Spoiler:

Contra - Stage 8
    Spoiler:

And the best I've heard of all time:
    Kick Master - Final Part 1
    Spoiler:

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
    Years
  • Music from nes. Well my favourites are these:
    Ninja gaiden I-III Couldnt choose any particular songs.
    Contra stage 5. And Contra Force boss.
    Castlevania I-III many tracks again.
    Super Mario Bros III Airship.

tabor62

Years
  • Does anyone own the first Final Fantasy on the NES and have beaten it? I want to try it out on a real console sometime, but I don't know anyone with an NES ;.;

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I tried it, but I was too young to really play it, so I didn't get far. Maybe I'll try again some day.

On the topic of NES music, I have to say that MegaMan 2 probably has the soundtrack that sticks with me. I find myself randomly singing FlashMan's theme, and BubbleMan's theme is excellent. And that opening theme as the camera rises over the city. (Guess what game I just got done playing! Which amuses me because the game takes place in the year 200X.)

And I have to give a nod to ElecMan's theme from the first MegaMan. Ain't nothing like a Journey reference!

Ragetendo

The Angry Italian
    Years
  • Does anyone own the first Final Fantasy on the NES and have beaten it? I want to try it out on a real console sometime, but I don't know anyone with an NES ;.;

If you want a NES try looking for them in thrift stores/goodwill/swapmeet(flear market).I found all my stuff from there since my original consoles were stolen as a kid...bad neighborhoods lol But i sure did enjoy the old stuff, maybe one day i will beat mike tyson or beat ninja gaiden lol

Back