• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
    I think it's dumb for any forum to have a limit on how many characters can go in a post. I can understand having a shortness limit, but come on, long posts don't hurt anyone. If you can't bother to read a long post, you fail at life.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Breezy said:
    Why?! Why is Who Shot Brendan Birch? fanfic of the month?

Just... no Niko. ;o;

Er, other than that, hi guys. Here is my one post in two-hundred. :P
    Gah, how annoying. You DO realize that he saved us? 'Twas either that, or one of the others, or a N00B FIC! Be of good cheer! XD Anyways, congrats, and the humor pwns. XD

frostweaver said:
    Think it's 20000? I'm not sure...
    A little more, I think. My battle was 20,4something or somewhere around there.

Okay, it was 20,545 without spaces and 24,736 characters with spaces. Then there was the few humble words I placed at the top by way of introing the battle, so I think it's more. XD
    Did anyone notice two stories with complete identical name in PC Pokemon forum? :D (well ok fine... one got a exclaimation mark and the other doesn't)

What does this tell you about both of the story? :D

Titles are important people... do spend some time with it >>;
    Identical titles should NEVER happen.
    Well, P_B's 'T-E' is okay. The other one, though... XP XD
    Congratulation Breezy for Fanfic of the Month
    Yessss, the great Breezy strikes again. XD
    Breezy said:
    Oh I will. :) *FIND A NEW FIC MEANIE a.k.a LACKS SELF-ESTEEM TO REALIZE THAT SHE GOT FFOTM*
    Tsk, tsk, we'll hafta ask LilyPichu to glower at you for that. XD She doth not realize her worth, making her insecure, in need of MORE FFotM'S!
    Niko said:
    Yeah, it is too short. I tried asking people in the staff to take it off but they said that taking it off means that they need to take off the limit for the whole forum. So, sorry guys. I guess you have to bear with it...

I mean, I hate it, too especially when my older stories got cut off...

But it wasn't as bad as the censors. It's amazing ... when "crap" got censored, it destroyed my entire story... lol
    The censors I can understand, (although censoring 'crap' is a bit extreme) it's a kiddy forum, etc. But the character limit? I mean, pretty much the only people who are going to be posting extra-long posts are the ones who are saying something. SPAMmers don't generally go for quantity, so that's bogus. And you can't use the 'blocks of text' thing, because the people who would read two or three posts in a row wouldn't mind one big one, and it's a heckuva lot easier on the posters.

Ah, well, the rules are the rules, so we'll just hafta put up with it until it changes. Besides, I'm sure SOMEBODY has a reasonable explanation for keeping it so low. XD
    N-A said:
    If someone stole any of my story/chapter titles, I'll hunt 'em down (unless they have a good enough reason).
    Redundant. They ALWAYS find a reason. XP XD Besides, they wouldn't care, they're merely doing what they want. XD
    Kats said:
    Lucky they stole it >>;

Because that actually sounds like a decent title to me.
    Well, 'twas probably either that or 'n0 7i713 y37!121!!!11!'. XP XD

That says 'no title yet', for those who have taken the intelligent path of not learning 13375p34k. XD
    And thank you Frosty (I didn't see it before) and Katsuro. Even though there are better fics here. ._.
    There will always be a 'better fic'. XD For everybody. XD
    Iveechan said:
    I think it's dumb for any forum to have a limit on how many characters can go in a post. I can understand having a shortness limit, but come on, long posts don't hurt anyone. If you can't bother to read a long post, you fail at life.
    Nein, failure in life is not evinced by not reading long posts.

Actually, now that I think about it, there were some fics that put up obscenely long chapters(in excess of 15,000 characters) that screamed n00b. XP XD However, this FFForum is not like SPPF, where SPAM owns it. It's got a small base of talent, and n00b-pwning mods who don't have 30 new fics to look at each time they come on, but a manageable five, tops. XD

So, yeah. XD

Oh, yeah, you may now begin voting for the better battle in the FFBattle thread. ^^; I know Ima get pwned, but at least I got Negrek laughing. *coughLindseyisaguycough* XD lol XD

Question: What names for pok?dexes have you heard? I know of Dex and Dexter.

'Nuther question: When I say 'Fan Fiction', what pops into your head?

I think 'Endless possibilities'. XD

?SilverBlaze09?

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Grrness, whatever that girl one is called. I know it but I can't remember it. Yay.
    Is it like Dexterina or something? XD
    A ... fanfic? oo; Or do you mean something like word association? :P If so, I'd go with never ending too haha.
    Which fanfic?

^THAT'S what I mean. XD

'Never ending', lol. How about 'eternal'? Wait, that means fame and fortune... XD

?SilverBlaze09?

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    I don't have a "thing" for naming inanimate objects, and I've never read a 'fic that names pok?dexes, either. I might have to come up with a name for the one in my parody 'fic, though. Probably something rude...

When I see fanfiction, I think "diamonds in the rough." And that's all I'm sayin'.

But yes, please, do vote on the Fanfic Battle thread. SB and I worked hard to get it done.

Years
    Iveechan said:

Well, you didn't seem to have experienced Cas' kamikaze database crashers...

they put "kamikaze" as many times as possible in a single thread (since PC doesn't have a limit yet at that time), which caused the database to crash.

Thus we have the limiter...

:D

Be happy for it.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any problems with Pokemon battles (making them one-sided, etc).

Well, towards the end of chapter 4 of my fic, I used this:
    https://javascript.internet.com/games/dice-roller.html

I thought that since my battles are often seen as one-sided and mediorce, the above link would help with when to make secondary moves happen (paralysis from Thunder) and how often a move should hit (One hit KO moves = AWFUL accuracy).

However, it's been brought to me that it's a pretty awful idea since it makes the battles appear more unrealistic and one-sided than they already were. I mean, I've got the idea from RPG threads, and it seemed to stand out. There were some vital points (like too many rolls would be in favor of one character or the other), but still...

Should I save this dice system for emergencies (when I get REALLY stuck in a battle) or should I just dump it altogether?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Shouldn't the writer have the ability to decide when the paralysis activates from Thunder and the likes? Personally, as always, I'm in favor of the author being in absolute control over anything and everything. Every choice in a story contributes and matters, including when the freeze kicks in from ice beam in a battle.

Years
    Nekomajo Asunya said:
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any problems with Pokemon battles (making them one-sided, etc).

Well, towards the end of chapter 4 of my fic, I used this:
    https://javascript.internet.com/games/dice-roller.html

I thought that since my battles are often seen as one-sided and mediorce, the above link would help with when to make secondary moves happen (paralysis from Thunder) and how often a move should hit (One hit KO moves = AWFUL accuracy).

However, it's been brought to me that it's a pretty awful idea since it makes the battles appear more unrealistic and one-sided than they already were. I mean, I've got the idea from RPG threads, and it seemed to stand out. There were some vital points (like too many rolls would be in favor of one character or the other), but still...

Should I save this dice system for emergencies (when I get REALLY stuck in a battle) or should I just dump it altogether?
    Well, usually when making a plot, you decide who wins and you just make it fancy with a battle... well, that's what I used to do... though I think Frosty said something about liking that one certain battle scene in Call of Dragons... lol... you said it was excelent description, right? lol

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    Yay! I'm officially home... and finally a year older... xD

Anyway... I've had like 5 different fic ideas today, and one should be up soon.

I'm still trying to decide which pokemon to do for the Sincerely, Feebas sequel.

I'm thinking of eevee or vulpix, though.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    Shouldn't the writer have the ability to decide when the paralysis activates from Thunder and the likes?
    Yes, I know that, but whenever I try to do it, it ends up being cheap.

frostweaver said:
    Personally, as always, I'm in favor of the author being in absolute control over anything and everything. Every choice in a story contributes and matters, including when the freeze kicks in from ice beam in a battle.
    Well, "absolute control" must be hand-in-hand with "how the story is excuted", because it seems that no matter how much I try, I run into unrealistic situations.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Act said:
    Yay! I'm officially home... and finally a year older... xD

Anyway... I've had like 5 different fic ideas today, and one should be up soon.

I'm still trying to decide which pokemon to do for the Sincerely, Feebas sequel.

I'm thinking of eevee or vulpix, though.
    You're home, we party? XD Welcome back to doom. XD

Do either scyther or eevee. XD My votes. XD
    Negrek said:
    I don't have a "thing" for naming inanimate objects, and I've never read a 'fic that names pok?dexes, either. I might have to come up with a name for the one in my parody 'fic, though. Probably something rude...
    'Twasn't the point. I was wondering if you had heard of any. Like in the show, Ash's pok?dex is called 'Dexter'.
    When I see fanfiction, I think "diamonds in the rough." And that's all I'm sayin'.
    I understand. XD
    But yes, please, do vote on the Fanfic Battle thread. SB and I worked hard to get it done.
    Yes... Please... Now to PM CB(I'd better remember this time, or...)
    Niko said:
    Well, you didn't seem to have experienced Cas' kamikaze database crashers...

they put "kamikaze" as many times as possible in a single thread (since PC doesn't have a limit yet at that time), which caused the database to crash.

Thus we have the limiter...

:D

Be happy for it.
    Ahhhh.
    frostweaver said:
    Shouldn't the writer have the ability to decide when the paralysis activates from Thunder and the likes? Personally, as always, I'm in favor of the author being in absolute control over anything and everything. Every choice in a story contributes and matters, including when the freeze kicks in from ice beam in a battle.
    And don't forget that some pogeys just can't be paralyzed by Thunder even with a good dice roll. *coughdiglettignoreselectricitycough*

Alright, I need some feedbacl: Does 'Screwing the Script' or 'Scrapping the Script' sound better? I honestly can't tell. 'Screwing' gives the impression of fun evilness, while 'Scrapping' sounds more businesslike.

?SilverBlaze09?

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    SilverBlaze09 said:
    And don't forget that some pogeys just can't be paralyzed by Thunder even with a good dice roll. *coughdiglettignoreselectricitycough*
    Don't worry. I know my type advantages/disadvantages/immunities very well. They can make or break a battle, you know.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    we'll have to hear the whole sentence silverblaze09. We don't know what kind of tone you want, and etc.

Btw, there's a tendency that unrealistic situation is forgiven if the bad guys are the ones who got all the luck. If the hero is the one to suffer, then those situations seem to be acceptable. It just forces the hero to think even harder on strategy in battles. In the end, a good Pokemon battle boils down to a good winning comeback that's strategical and believable.

(If you need ideas, visit "green website" and look under the Gale of Darkness battle CDs. Some of them are definitely tricky. I doubt if I can ever think of that Porygon2 trick with tackling yourself in a 2vs2 situation to work conversion2 to Porygon2's advantage, transforming Porygon2 into a steel type this way. Stuff like this, you know? Strategy that's clever will make most battles interesting.)

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    Yes, battling strategies are all important (and if you wanted to look at some you could go right over to the Fanfic Battling Thread about which I refuse to stop bugging you people). Clever usage of moves is a must, combos are nice (if they're not corny) and understanding of elemental weaknesses is crucial. I suggest brushing up on those before you get working on a battle. Remember to take into account abilities as well; they can make for some of the most interesting aspects of battle.

I personally like screwing the script, because that's more likely what I'd say, but without context I have no clue.

I look forward to the next pok?mon letter, Act. *roots for Eevee*

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    I'll keep that in mind.

But there's one thing that's always on my mind: Normal-types not being affected by Ghost-type moves.

Should I drop that in my fics (due to it not making sense) or keep it (since it's "game rules")?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    And megahorn dealing double damage towards psychic types make sense to you to begin with? 1/2 of the elemental table exist in some illogical manner because gamefreak underestimated the power of Pokemon back in RBGY days. They just threw stuff together in terms of balance. Dark types aren't meant to exist, but it's made because psychic is pure destruction in RBGY, and they can't see any way around it but to tweak with a new type that's designed to crush psychics. Sp.def is increased due to the extreme amnesia abuse, and so on.

I personally will vote to keep it. Of course, that doesn't mean a Gengar with shadow ball can't kill a lonely Rattata... just need to use/abuse your terrain a little... hehehe. Let's aim the shadow ball on the huge tree branch above Rattata's head instead of directly aiming it at the poor rat?

EDIT: Used the time to read 2 of the battle scenes from the Battle Fanfic thread. I read Negrek's battle and the first of Silverblaze's battle. I don't know what other things do I have to do (vote or something? Or am I suppose to choose which fanfic is better between all the paritcipants... someone explain)

Now there are some irritating parts of each battle, but those I'll mention later (tomorrow, maybe). However, there's a glaring mistake that shouldn't be made at all. It seems to be very common for all authors to abuse the terrain to his or her advantage.

Both the random stadium in Silverblaze's story and the fan in Negrek's story played quite an important role in the battles. Some attacks are tampered with in Negrek's story, and the originality of the newly improved attacks are very impressive. I guessed correctly regarding Sunny Day-Dusclops setup, but it definitely shocked me at how Future Sight released Surf attack on Tyranitar.

The attack that reflects a status attack back at the user is Magic Coat not Mirror Coat. Counter takes hit but returns the damage doubled at the opponent, while Mirror Coat deals with the identical but only for special attacks. Magic Coat will protect the user from the status change, and inflict it on the opponent instead.

So far, there's actually NO mention of any Pokemon traits yet, though there is a lot of room for abusing them in both author's story that I've read so far. Intimidate and most importantly, Tyranitar's sandstream (which I firmly believe to be a great abusive attack in a fanfic. Damage along with blinding your opponent by whipping a sandstorm? Deadly) are not mentioned in Negrek's story, but neither is Hariyama's Guts activated in SilverBlaze's story when Banette secretly used Will o Wisp. Not saying that either of those storys are bad because they aren't used, but I'm just a bit surprised that no trait is mentioned anywhere in any way.

(as a side note, you can actually tell which writer knows more about different Pokemon attacks from the fanfic battle thread. Either those writers read a lot about the gaming mechanisms, or they are perhaps netbattlers in their own right.)

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    A semi-review over the two battle fanfic stories in the Fanfic Battle Thread. Since the rules clearly stated that the choice is made on a subjective level, so will this brief review be written on a subjective level.

Negrek (Lindsey) vs. Silverblaze09 (Death)

First, a break down through Silverblaze's story.

-honestly, though 2vs2 is much more fast paced than 1vs1 as proven by the game, it's a bit rushed? I had a difficult time looking for Sableye, and it's sure to me that this story is much too fast paced. I know that there's a total of 3 ghosts, but I won't know that the 3rd ghost is a Sableye if I didn't read Negrek's story first.

-there seems to be a tendency that the opponent in your story relies on brute force without much strategy at all (or only, very basic ones.) Lanturn and Bellossom are key examples of this problem. They did nothing much but release random elemental attacks (solarbeam and thunderbolt/surf). Also as a side note, Bellossom is spelt incorrectly.

-the trainer had little role in the story, except giving commands. An excellent battle will involve the trainer on a much bigger role, as if the trainer is also fighting a war.

-Mightyena is just unreal and not realistic. It just charged in and destroyed everything with gamesharked stats. It's Pikachu junior. Literally, it just ran in, and end of the story... The mysterious attack that deflected Surf along with destroying Lindsey+Lanturn is also rather questionable.

-there are bits and parts where I'm not the most clearest about how the story is progressing. Those parts can probably work out better.

-diction isn't at its best usage as well. "Made of the stuff" is never too good of a phrase to use in your narration.

For Negrek's story:

-as mentioned already, there's that glaring magic coat and mirror coat mix-up

-it's very impressive that you've managed to add in some characterization, although the fanfic battle thread never demanded it. Not only is your own character developed, but the opponent shares equal amount of attention. Death's battling style, especially with the close range will o wisp attacks, is a nice addition for the story.

-there's also something that seriously annoyed me a lot. In the story, a part of it reads "... fiery fury." Alliteration is bad enough for such a serious battle, but to rhyme on top of it?

-It's a very enjoyable battle to read overall. There are some great strategy being used, great and small. The more simple strategies can range from the obvious destiny bond and the gust+toxic combination from Dustox, to the greater usages of Slugma's rock slide and Pidgeot's Sunny Day.

-Very nice to see that not only are attacks used to their maximum potentials, but pokedex entries are not forgotton as well. Dusclops's pokedex entry is turned against itself, and that is a very good explanation for the Sunny Day combination.

-Few of the tweaked attacks are effective on top of being believable. Sunny Day is often used, but never explained in such great depths in terms of its mechanics. Future Sight-Surf is a definite shock for all readers.

-I think that it has a better buildup in terms of battling than SilverBlaze's. There is just generally more description and better strategies being used. The battle took an ideal balance between gaming mechanics and real life situations.

My vote will be for Negrek this round ^_^

Keep up the good work, all writing-battlers! Hope that there's more battles coming.

Last edited:

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    -the trainer had little role in the story, except giving commands. An excellent battle will involve the trainer on a much bigger role, as if the trainer is also fighting a war.
    Uh... isn't the trainer supposed to be giving commands? It is a Pokemon battle, after all, so I doubt the trainer should get much attention.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back