• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    If 0.9 with the 9 repeating is assumed to be one, then 0.9 with 9 repeating infinitey, plus a 8 at the end, will be 1. This is because since 9 is infinite, the 8 will "never" get to show up. This number is exactly the same as 0.9 with the 9 repeating. In the theory of math, those two numbers are the same, but then again that defies logic because a 8 is there and you know that the numbers are different... lol. Because of this, you get a paradox where you know the 2 numbers are different, but you can't prove it mathematically because the 8 is infinitely away after the infinite chain of 9s.

k enough math... gah as if I'm not doing enough math through killing myself with math homework on top of a part-time job teaching math for 7.5 hours a week >>;

Either way, back to story telling/writing!

Frosty got a question for all. In any adventure stories, does a hero/heroine appear much more nobel, brave and admirable if he or she dies at the end of the story, making it a tragedy? When you read about an adventure story where the hero/heroine lives, and compare another story where the hero/heroine dies, do you regard the heroes who suffered a tragic death more highly than the heroes who lived by the end of the story?

Pete

<>PAWN CONTROL 1.0<>
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    Frosty got a question for all. In any adventure stories, does a hero/heroine appear much more nobel, brave and admirable if he or she dies at the end of the story, making it a tragedy? When you read about an adventure story where the hero/heroine lives, and compare another story where the hero/heroine dies, do you regard the heroes who suffered a tragic death more highly than the heroes who lived by the end of the story?

Depends if they are the main hero or heroine, or if they have a good personality.

Ajihad dying in Eldest was really sad and it made him look noble, only because he had an intruiging personality. He reminded me of Walsh in 24. But still, Roran was my most regarded character.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    I generally like characters more if they're dead or have at the very least almost died, actually. Either that or they kill/almost kill someone. Sadistic, aren't I?

But I'm not that much for this noble-sacrifice-death thing. I like it better if one of the heroes is actually captured and killed by the villain. It's nice if that provides other heroes with something they wouldn't otherwise have had or whatever, but I don't particularly like the hero taking on a mission knowing that they're going to die. Just a bit too noble to be real.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    well I was only asking if they just die, one way or another (noble cause vs villain's victory, whatever) ^^; I also agree that a character is immediately a lot more likable if they die or suffer in some horrible way, especially if they don't deserve it all while not wanting to suffer such a cruel fate at the same time.

Oh gosh we're evil...

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    those bas****s don't allow script... they assume they all resemble AIM conversations. On top of that, they delete everything reported without even so much as looking at the fic in question, so, in my somewhat biased opinion, no.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    Meh, I'm not very fond of the hero dying at the end of a story, because it's rarely done well. Like most other things. I don't see a problem with the main character surviving.

Personally, I like FF.net. QuickEdit is a beast, but at least you don't have to go through and edit in tags yourself. I've never had any problem with the report system, and you can get some decent concrit there.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    Haha, you can try "rebel fanfiction.net" a.k.a fictionised.net. Has anyone heard of that? They're staff went around reviewing stories to advertise their site. Of course they're Pok?mon section isn't the greatest (I think a few ff.net people tried to kick it off but failed, including me), so yeah. I don't even know why I brought it up. I just thought it was funny. ._.;

Years
    'ello all,
    I'm just dropping in for a quick say so. :D ff.net ain't bad. I've got a four stories on there and I (when I'm bored) sometimes go around and look into all the selection of fan fiction.
    BTW, I've never heard of a 'rebel fanfiction.net' before. Only ff.net.

Banov

Master of Kecleon
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 15, 2017
    Hello everybody! I'm a new fanfic auhtor here, and I have begun posting my fanfic 'Banov's Amazing Pokemon Adventure' as of today. It's quite popular on another forum, so hopefully you all can enjoy it as well!

My fanfic tells the story of a boy named Banov (*cough*), who goes on a quest to capture pokemon, until he one day uncovers a conspiracy. Before he knows it Banov is woven into a tale of good vs. evil, using everything he has to bring an end to the evil forces that reside in Hoen.

I'd really appreciate any and all comments, good or bad on it!

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    I like FFNet, and I also back Fanfiction.net as a good place to put stories up. Really, if you do want to work hard in the field of fanfic writing, just post your story in any place that will accept your story under (if it's a Pokemon fanfic) the Pokemon section. Go sign up to the different forums, join FFNet and so on... the more places you post, the more likely you get known, and get reviews.

Again, I think we went through FFNet before regarding scriptfic... no reason to allow good scripfics to live for the sake of millions of eyes out there. People may end up upon the scriptfics with a probability of 199/200 that the scriptfic is bad.

As for Banov, welcome to the fanfic lounge where you see lazy and ignorant, self-centered people (mainly, ME) who live to complain. For starters, I am guessing that you haven't read the sticky in this forum regarding fanfic writing guide, which I strongly suggest you to do. From what you have posted here, I already see a suggestion of inexperienced writing.

(eg. "It starts out relatively bad but it will pick up!" A good writer will never say something like this, because a story of a good writer will be good all the way through. Why is the beginning worst than later parts of the story? Can't you make the beginning better? People can say something like this against you, and you will be left speechless in response to why this is happening to the story. We don't see professional authors say something like that on the back of their book.)

Yes, I'm very discouraging towards everyone, but do understand that you will benefit off of the toughness eventually. If you can and if you want to, please open fire back at me, because then it's a sign that people do know what they want to do, and know what they are doing ^_^

Banov

Master of Kecleon
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 15, 2017
    Oh no, the beginning isn't bad per say (did I say that?), but I'm saying that the story itself changes. I don't want to give too much away, though o_o

I totally don't mind your critisism though - I'm gonna need as much as I can get!

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Banov said:
    Oh no, the beginning isn't bad per say (did I say that?), but I'm saying that the story itself changes. I don't want to give too much away, though o_o

I totally don't mind your critisism though - I'm gonna need as much as I can get!

it begins as a regular trainer goes-on-journey-and-blablabla fanfic but it quickly changes into something very different.
    it's implied that the beginning will suck but the later parts will be awesome... be very careful about your diction (diction = word choice) because what you are saying literally may not be what you really mean. What the wordings are implying is a much stronger definition.

Really, typical OT-adventure stories have to show promising changes from the "standard Ash Ketchum start" very soon to catch readers' attentions...

Banov

Master of Kecleon
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 15, 2017
    Oh...

Well, hopefully people can look past the fact that the beginning has some stereotypes in it and enjoy the story. There are a lot of things that happen in the beginning that become pretty important in the future. I donn't want to change the beginning, because I'm afraid I'll omit something that I made important or mentioned later in the future o_o

I'm going to go back and edit that post though...

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Banov said:
    Hello everybody! I'm a new fanfic auhtor here, and I have begun posting my fanfic 'Banov's Amazing Pokemon Adventure' as of today. It's quite popular on another forum, so hopefully you all can enjoy it as well!

My fanfic tells the story of a boy named Banov (*cough*), who goes on a quest to capture pokemon, until he one day uncovers a conspiracy. Before he knows it Banov is woven into a tale of good vs. evil, using everything he has to bring an end to the evil forces that reside in Hoen.

I'd really appreciate any and all comments, good or bad on it!
    Sounds a bit cliche to me~ but we'll see.

And Frostweaver, I wouldn't assume that at all o_______o; But that's just me.

Banov

Master of Kecleon
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 15, 2017
    Errr...well seeing as everyone has some kind of 'clichephobia' I'll speed up the updates until the story deviates from the basic OT story. Then maybe SOMEONE will give it a chance...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Banov said:
    Errr...well seeing as everyone has some kind of 'clichephobia' I'll speed up the updates until the story deviates from the basic OT story. Then maybe SOMEONE will give it a chance...

Clich? is unliked, because an original sentence is copied so much to the extent that it is overused. When sentences are copied to this extent, it becomes clich?. Clich? is a negative term, so of course it's unwelcomed. Writing clich? sentences in your exam essay paper will surely make your mark suffer.

Don't have to worry too much about update speed. Just make sure that the quality is good and even an OT can live if its quality is good enough. The unfair edge against OT is that its standards are much higher from readers in comparison to other genres (darkfics have the lowest standards, I think.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back