• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
    ^Don't know if there are any currently up, Orange Flaffy, but there are some I'm working on that will only be found here on PC. Biohazard, a PMD fic about an amnesiac buizel with a cryptic connection to a couple manmade monsters no other Pokemon knew existed until one appeared. Also coming, probably after that, is Feral Twilight, a story about a trainer who had it all then lost it to his little sister. Moving on in life, he goes to tour a private school for those interested in Pokemon science, but ends up getting involved with the head, her secret project, and a syndicate seeking to use it to gain total control of a legendary demon naturally capable of turning other pokemon into Shadow versions and permanently sealing their souls away.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't think it hurts anything to have a writing debate now and then :). In fact, I think I like talking about the in and outs of how everyone writes their characters just as much as reading and writing itself :).
    Yeah, it's fun and interesting to see how people write their characters. I like getting into the mind of the author. But when we're debating on how to handle characters "correctly", that's when it gets annoying. Every time someone mentions a Pokemon's personality in a fanfic, people always start clamoring to let their opinions be heard. The entire mess is something subjective, and the final decision should be left up to the author. Y'all can debate until the forums explode for all I care, but gods above, let me state that I hate reading this debate every time someone mentions a personality.

As for reviewing, I don't think that every review has to be a mini term paper or a one liner, balance is a good thing.
    But for some people, they review in-depth, no matter what. To me, it would be kind of rude to read a story and not point out the mistakes, the good parts, and actually make it seem like you care.

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
    no, Shin'ou is based off of Hokkaido. Kantou is, obviously, based off of its namesake, the Kantou region. As for the whole thing about regional borders, I don't really know about it myself. However, a quick look at Wiki suggests that these "regions" are only meant to define and separate large land masses within the country. The only thing that might be affected would be stuff like TV broadcasts, maybe some local laws, and other such things that're limited in area range. In a way, it's much like how the US can group together States as "New England" or "the Midwest" or whatever. There's nothing to suggest that, politically, the States within these groups are the same, but the areas can define a distinctive culture that the States share due to being close together.

Shows you how much I know. XD I didn't even know there was a real region called Kantou. :3 Cool.

As for the thing about regional borders, if you go by the logic that the pokeworld is based off Japan you could argue that--but I suppose you could also argue that the pokeworld isn't Japan and should have the right to be a unique nation in itself, in which case, for all we know, the regions could be administrative in nature.

But, meh, it was just a idea. ^^

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    For instance: all of the psychic pokemon in the shows can speak "human". You could argue that all pokemon are smart enough to comprehend language in this way.
    What? No, they don't. Jessie's Wobbufett doesn't, Sabrina's Alakazam doesn't, that Drowzee Butch and Cassidy used didn't, the weather-predicting Xatu didn't, the Spoink that lost its pearl didnt.

In fact, the only Pokémon who ever spoke human, other than a few Legendaries, are Meowth, that one Slowking from the movie (no other Slowking did) and...a Lapras, I think. I'm probably forgetting a few, but in the end no, most psychic never spoke English. XP

On the other hand, pokemon appear more or less the same as animals (duh) so you could say that they have the same intellect as said beasties (as for the question as to whether or not animals have vast intellects, that is for another time).
    Animals irl are obviously sentient, so they're intellogent to an extent, but not to much of an extent. Animals are mostly unable to form sentimental attachments (they mainly understand it as "mine), they don't really get the whole emotion thing (except maybe dogs), they can't create and most animals are generally nothing more than a bunch of instincts. They also can only learn basic commands and don't understand much English.

According to the show, however, Pokémon aren't just animals. Aside from the whole thing about attacks and abilities, we've seen that most are more intelligent than that (not to mention that they seem to understand English perfectly and can execute any attack on command). The Squirtle Squad ran around causing mischeif on their own accord (they had spray paint! o_o) and Ash's Chikorita...had a crush on him. Pikachu originally detested Ash, but, like with Charizard, later understood Ash and what he did and, on their own accord, warmed up to him.

Granted, there ARE some Pokémon who just seem completely animalistic, but I like to think that intelligence varies between species and trained Pokémon tend to be more...human-like in the intelligence department. Or something.

Truth be told, when I read a fic I don't focus on that stuff. Usually I'll take what the writer says as the way the world works; if they portray all trainers as being cruel and heartless humans, I'll just say "well, that's how the writer sees the world and that's how they want it to be. I'll just take that into account in my review." Unless what they do is incredibly outrageous I won't attack it, and I'll respect it. I'll probably add in my own opinion about the matter, but I don't aim to make the writer change the entire story just for me.

I like to see other interprutations of canon, even if I strongly disagree with them. Since nothing in it is completely set in stone, playing around with it can be quite fun. ^^

~Psychic

Last edited:

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
    For some reason the world of the most common animal like pokemon, like the bird types, has always interested me :).
    Some people may call it boring, but then I even have my characters have to go to the bathroom, so I like very down to earth povs :).
    Besides the whole vampire thingie of course *lol* :)

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
    Okay, this is officially an urgent call for concrit reviewers. I have a story I want to enter in the new contest over at SPPf, only there's something wrong with it and I don't know what, and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure it out.

The contest ends the 15th of February, but I'd like at least a week to make any edits and such, so if anyone could give me some feedback before the 8th (which would hopefully be more than enough time :3 ) that would be brilliant.

The fic is called 'At What Cost' and the link is in my sig. Huge thanks to anyone who reviews it.

Bay

Years
    Okay, this is officially an urgent call for concrit reviewers. I have a story I want to enter in the new contest over at SPPf, only there's something wrong with it and I don't know what, and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure it out.

The contest ends the 15th of February, but I'd like at least a week to make any edits and such, so if anyone could give me some feedback before the 8th (which would hopefully be more than enough time :3 ) that would be brilliant.

The fic is called 'At What Cost' and the link is in my sig. Huge thanks to anyone who reviews it.

Hm, I'll review it, but wait until tomorrow. I'll get right to it after I get done with my finals. Going to try my best to help. ;)

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years

Heh, no problem. I'll read it...later. :) Yeah, maybe tonight or something. I've got a couple more reviews to do then as well, but I'll at least read it by then.

Sorry to everyone to whom I've promised reviews. I've been spending every bit of my spare time cramming the Harry Potter books (for the tenth time) for a big trivia contest I've got on Saturday, as well as working on the Blazing Dreams One-Shot. I haven't forgotten about you. :)

Lastly, I've just posted the last chapter of Legends of Sinnoh. It's not as good as I wanted it to be, but meh. Still got plenty of cliffhangers. :D The third saga, Blazing Dreams: The Eternal Night, will be up in a month or so. You really will need to read Legends of Sinnoh to understand it (well), so yeah.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    Hey guys. Sorry for the notpostnessornotupdateness on season champs, but I've had a lot of stuff going on these last few days. Don't worry though, I'm not giving up on it, but just so you know, chapter 5 might take a while to put up. Byez much~

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Hey, can someone comment my new chapter? ANYBODY!? Yeah, thanks.

It's kind of hard when your fic isn't getting as much attention as these "marquee" fics.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    At least your fic is actually getting views. =/ (I mean, last time I checked, 1135 isn't exactly an empty audience.)

Well, you're right about that. And people on Fic forums always say Views > Reviews. I just wish people would state their opinions about my fic. I want to get better. I guess it's because I like writing.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    And TurtleKing, Yamato-san is right. Nearly every time you post in this thread, you ask for a review. You do know that most of the reviewers on this board are bitter vindictive people that will not review a story for an author that begs for reviews, right? Plus, most of the reviewers here are busy. Off the top of my head, I know that Jax, Bay, DP479 and myself all have to deal with college finals. Others of us have military duty hanging over our heads. And then others of us have to work thirty hours a week. The last thing I want to do after working for six hours is come home and write a constructive review for a fanfic.

You know how long it took me to write that review for your first chapter? An hour and a half. But I took the time to show you where you made mistakes and how to improve them, because you want a review like that. I could easily take a minute to pound out a one-sentence review that says "Good fic" and nothing more. But does that tell you if I read it or not?

Seriously, I'm getting annoyed at people begging for reviews. Be patient, people. Reviews will be coming when real life business dies down.

Plus Scythekid is too lazy to review a story he read. xD. Anywayz, she's right (as always) so listen to her. Dududu~ Now I'll just dissapear into thin air for about three days and neglect to post chapter five because I'm a lazy arse.

Anyway, we need a new topic to talk about.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Seriously, I'm getting annoyed at people begging for reviews. Be patient, people. Reviews will be coming when real life business dies down.

Sorry.

Honestly, I really wasn't asking for a review (as far as grammar). I meant could anybody check out my fic to see if it was interesting, what they liked about, etc.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Sorry.

Honestly, I really wasn't asking for a review (as far as grammar). I meant could anybody check out my fic to see if it was interesting, what they liked about, etc.

That tends to be just as time-consuming as a grammar review because whereas a grammar review is pretty straightforward (the only difficult part being sitting down to explain it... and possibly to go through a particularly English-abusive fic), with a content review (i.e. one focused on characters, description, plot, et cetera), you actually have to sit down and pick out points of the story and state why they do and don't work. This, unfortunately, takes a bit of meditation so that you can weed out superficial opinion (e.g. "I don't like Ash, so therefore, I didn't like this story because it stars him." or "I don't like the concept for an undefined reason.") and find a way to describe why it works or doesn't work.

In other words, just because it's not a grammar review doesn't mean it isn't as time-consuming for a reviewer. Be patient.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    That tends to be just as time-consuming as a grammar review because whereas a grammar review is pretty straightforward (the only difficult part being sitting down to explain it... and possibly to go through a particularly English-abusive fic), with a content review (i.e. one focused on characters, description, plot, et cetera), you actually have to sit down and pick out points of the story and state why they do and don't work. This, unfortunately, takes a bit of meditation so that you can weed out superficial opinion (e.g. "I don't like Ash, so therefore, I didn't like this story because it stars him." or "I don't like the concept for an undefined reason.") and find a way to describe why it works or doesn't work.

In other words, just because it's not a grammar review doesn't mean it isn't as time-consuming for a reviewer. Be patient.

Ok, thanks. Sorry if I've sounded like a pest. I'm just new to the fanfiction business, but that's not an excuse.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Didn't you read my post that came somewhere... right here?

And TurtleKing, Yamato-san is right. Nearly every time you post in this thread, you ask for a review. You do know that most of the reviewers on this board are bitter vindictive people that will not review a story for an author that begs for reviews, right? Plus, most of the reviewers here are busy. Off the top of my head, I know that Jax, Bay, DP479 and myself all have to deal with college finals. Others of us have military duty hanging over our heads. And then others of us have to work thirty hours a week. The last thing I want to do after working for six hours is come home and write a constructive review for a fanfic.

You know how long it took me to write that review for your first chapter? An hour and a half. But I took the time to show you where you made mistakes and how to improve them, because you want a review like that. I could easily take a minute to pound out a one-sentence review that says "Good fic" and nothing more. But does that tell you if I read it or not?

This might make me sound harsh, but I'm getting sick and tired of your attitude. Your spamming up this thread with your begging, and never answering any of the topics that we're talking about. Yes, you can ask for a review here, but not every five minutes. How about only once when you post a new chapter.

I know you want reviews, but seriously... *gestures to quoted post* We're busy. I'm done with school in two days ( ;~; ) and I can catch up with reviewing. (And let me just add that you shouldn't be surprised when you look at your profile.)

Views are considered to be good on the forums, since it makes you feel like that many people have clicked on your fic and read a portion of it. Periodically, I've seen fanfics that force guests to register on the forums so they can leave a review. So it is good to know that how ever many people have clicked on your thread and took a look. The amount of times that the fic has been seen is more than it would have ever have sitting on your computer or floor.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Didn't you read my post that came somewhere... right here?

This might make me sound harsh, but I'm getting sick and tired of your attitude. Your spamming up this thread with your begging, and never answering any of the topics that we're talking about. Yes, you can ask for a review here, but not every five minutes. How about only once when you post a new chapter.

I know you want reviews, but seriously... *gestures to quoted post* We're busy. I'm done with school in two days ( ;~; ) and I can catch up with reviewing. (And let me just add that you shouldn't be surprised when you look at your profile.)

Views are considered to be good on the forums, since it makes you feel like that many people have clicked on your fic and read a portion of it. Periodically, I've seen fanfics that force guests to register on the forums so they can leave a review. So it is good to know that how ever many people have clicked on your thread and took a look. The amount of times that the fic has been seen is more than it would have ever have sitting on your computer or floor.

Yes, that was "harsh". I've never had an attitude with anyone.

And how am I not staying on topic??? Just want to know.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    Yes, that was "harsh". I've never had an attitude with anyone.

And how am I not staying on topic??? Just want to know.

Stop making it worse than it already is. BTW Hanako, You made an error in your long post.

You're spamming up this thread with your begging

I thought you were a grammar extrodinaire (SP?)... *Shifty eyes*

Anyway, before this gets anymore offtopic, we need a topic to discuss.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Okay, a new topic I shall bring:

Name brands? In your fic, do you use existing name brands, make up your own, or just go with what canon states (the Silph/Devon/Poketch Company/etc...)?

As for me, I make heavy use of existing name brands in mine, as well as numerous references to the real world. It just makes the world of my fic seem a little more realistic and connected to ours.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back