• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
  • Oh! And I'm sure Geography is also a course in the class, especially for trainers so that they can read a map. Unless getting lost is a requirement for trainers.

Who says it isn't? XD

Actually, I'd always thought that most training-related things were best taught through experience instead of sitting in a class. I can understand a trainer going to school though. Which makes me wonder where Gale went to school, because he's obviously dragging up a bunch of Roman and Greek names for his Pokemon. (Laertes was taken from the Odyssey... did anyone catch that?)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Actually, I'd always thought that most training-related things were best taught through experience instead of sitting in a class.

Which is why I laugh after I defeat SchoolBoy Alan in GSC, cause he thinks he's so smart...just cause he went to Pokemon Academy. :/

But that chick with a Cubone in that one episode Astinus mentioned...she was pretty smart.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Meh. School would not necessarily be for learning about pokemon, except classes where animals are learned about anyways (i.e. biology). I can see lots of pokemon being useful in classes, though, such as fire and electric pokemon in chemistry and psychic pokemon in math (I can imagine people sneaking Abras into tests to try and read the smart people's minds).

Anyways, I will say that the pet training industry would be very, very, successful. Which is where the whole pokemon breeder thing comes in.

Oh btw...IV's and EV's and such could technically be covered in math classes in the pokemon realm. I'm sure they would have some type of device to measure such things, and the formulas to find them manually are tedius even for the mathematically inclined. Then there's advanced battle techniques, team building, advanced movesets...I could see all of this being covered in some type of academy. But I've never seen a fic go in that direction, so yeah.

borax12

gosh! i forgot my line
    Years
  • do i look like like a writer to you

:DI will be shortly starting a fan fic
    My protagonist shall be an oxymoron,and the plot shall be centered on this charachter who has dual personality and is the one who often helps things go right but also creates devastation and chaos.Do tell if the topic has already been taken up or i have to have my mind

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Do tell if the topic has already been taken up or i have to have my mind

Dissociative identity disorders with Jekyll-Hyde situations tend to be rarely touched in this fandom, but it's happened. (I've even tried one myself, but I assure you, I've failed miserably because my plot kept thinking this wasn't a Pokemon fic.)

However, be warned that DID isn't just Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde plot in different fandoms, and unfortunately, media often makes this mistake. It's really not realistic at all, starting with the fact that there's been very few (to none off the top of my head) cases in which the patient would only have two personalities. While more than fifteen tends to be rare in itself, two in media tends to be a sign that either the writer thinks that it is a Jekyll-Hyde disorder or that they didn't feel that more than two would be beneficial to the plot (when it really could add awesome complications to a story).

I would highly suggest reading about DID for ideas if that is the sort of angle (i.e. take a real disorder and put it in your fic) you want to go for. If you'd like something visual, one movie that did it close to accurately (although it still has its problems, from what I hear) is Sybil, which I'd recommend checking out either way.

Good luck.

borax12

gosh! i forgot my line
    Years
  • my plot's different

:) thanks jax it's really nice of you to give me this advice but i would like to tell you that my charachter doesn't suffer this disease in an accute manner .Though the "DID" has made him/her a complex charachter but he/she shall have to face challenges in a life surrounded by pokemon and thus go through a tough choice of opinions.The dual personality would often trouble him/her and thus affect the pokemon world in a no. of ways.Anyways that Jax for the comment and I'll try not to mess up on the DID bit too much(:disappoinsorry for the long post).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Well, Borax, I look foward to seeing your fan fic. ^^

And when in doubt, listen to Jax. :o Not even kidding.

Anyway, I like stories that revolve around dual personality. It's quite interesting to read, really.

Edit: How horrible is this? I'm doing my movie maker project...on fruit. O_o

But I definitely agree with you about the STDs thing. And condoms. Seriously. XD

The last thing we need to teach is Pokemon Sex Education. X.x

Well, in shipping fic cases, it'd be the first thing.

Also, to Silver, Venonat are indeed awesome.

Also to boot, I made a Venonat FanGirl License. It's on the back of my binder...in purple and magenta. And Venonat's holding a sign that says 'u liek me?' :3

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • :) thanks jax it's really nice of you to give me this advice but i would like to tell you that my charachter doesn't suffer this disease in an accute manner .Though the "DID" has made him/her a complex charachter but he/she shall have to face challenges in a life surrounded by pokemon and thus go through a tough choice of opinions.The dual personality would often trouble him/her and thus affect the pokemon world in a no. of ways.Anyways that Jax for the comment and I'll try not to mess up on the DID bit too much(:disappoinsorry for the long post).

Well, yes, it's expected that your character would go through a set of challenges in a life surrounded by Pokemon. That's really expected from any fic in the Pokemon fandom. What I'm saying, though, is that:

1. Those challenges may end up being different compared to those that a character without DID would face. Applying the same set of challenges to a character with DID as you would to a character without would be a lot like fitting a round peg in a square hole. There's a different set of problems that certain people with different personality disorders would end up facing on a daily basis. While I don't mean you should overemphasize those problems, I'm just saying you'll need to actually take into account what the disorder does to the way a person thinks, rather than just add it because you think it's cool, which is unfortunately something that happens way too often in fanfiction. If that's what you're planning on doing, great. I'm just offering this as a reminder that you should be thinking about how your character's quirks will affect how they function.

2. Dissociative identity disorder is not just Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (with one good and one evil personality -- or two polar opposite personalities in general). Even if your character doesn't suffer "acute" symptoms, there's a difference between the way it actually works and the way media portrays it. (In fact, the media is almost always inaccurate when they attempt to pull off a portrayal of DID.) There's all sorts of smaller symptoms, and as I've said before, you really don't get just two personalities most of the time. (While the definition of DID states that you need two or more, most recorded cases that I know of have more than two.)

Even then, you'd need to develop each personality as if they're their own characters -- which they probably would be, in a sense. Just leaving it as the good personality versus the evil personality just sort of is all-around cliche, as it's happened all too often in media itself, ever since the publication of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Actually, if you'd like to find a visual representation, Sybil would be good, but so would Kagerou, particularly in later chapters when it's a bit clearer that the artist really did her homework. (And that's all it comes down to anyway. Homework. Yeah, it's a bit of extra work for you, but it's just something you'll need to do if you're looking to insert a disorder or disease into your fanfiction. Doing it without at least picking up a book almost guarantees that you'll end up portraying it the way media often does, and media often screws it up because they're just looking for a glamorized snapshot that only vaguely looks like the thing they're trying to represent for the sake of entertainment.)

In short, yeah, okay, your plot's different, but if you're going to put a character with DID (or any personality disorder) into a fanfic, you still have to do research on what you're trying to do and actually spend time figuring out whether or not you still want to go through with it, as the disorder would be extremely disruptive to the character's thought processes -- i.e. they won't be able to live and face the exact same sort of problems anyone else would face. If you're not up for it (as it would be pretty taxing to write about a character who has such disruptions in thought, which are really practically inevitable for real DID), then you might as well just put a psychologically healthy character into your story. =/

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • 2. Dissociative identity disorder is not just Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (with one good and one evil personality -- or two polar opposite personalities in general). Even if your character doesn't suffer "acute" symptoms, there's a difference between the way it actually works and the way media portrays it. (In fact, the media is almost always inaccurate when they attempt to pull off a portrayal of DID.) There's all sorts of smaller symptoms, and as I've said before, you really don't get just two personalities most of the time. (While the definition of DID states that you need two or more, most recorded cases that I know of have more than two.)

Come to think of it, I knew someone who had personality disorders. Actually, I knew him quite well...I dated him. :o

Based off experience around this person, I can tell you, Borax, that Jax is right. There are more than two. This guy had...well, I think I'll keep that information bestowed to myself, but I assure you it was more than two.

He was very moody, could never make up his mind, made up a lot of things about his past(that I'm still not sure of today), just...odd. Not the best person to date, really. The slightest thing could change his personality. My friend tore the back of his notebook off one day, and he just...got emo and depressed about it, and prior to that he was running around happily. It's just that quick. And getting him back to happy...no matter how hard I tried, he never seemed to. And I'd see him later and he'd already forgotten what had happened earlier.

Just some thoughts I think you need to take into consideration before you write you fan fic. :/

Basic training/survival skills could take the place of a Health class (though with so many fics featuring shipping, one of those classes BETTER cover STD's.)

-looks at my fic- Oooooh. :o

Siiiiiilver....ooooooo. -waggles finger-

Kidding, guys! ;D

Last edited:

borax12

gosh! i forgot my line
    Years
  • I love to discuss

Well, yes, it's expected that your character would go through a set of challenges in a life surrounded by Pokemon. That's really expected from any fic in the Pokemon fandom. What I'm saying, though, is that:

1. Those challenges may end up being different compared to those that a character without DID would face. Applying the same set of challenges to a character with DID as you would to a character without would be a lot like fitting a round peg in a square hole. There's a different set of problems that certain people with different personality disorders would end up facing on a daily basis. While I don't mean you should overemphasize those problems, I'm just saying you'll need to actually take into account what the disorder does to the way a person thinks, rather than just add it because you think it's cool, which is unfortunately something that happens way too often in fanfiction. If that's what you're planning on doing, great. I'm just offering this as a reminder that you should be thinking about how your character's quirks will affect how they function.

2. Dissociative identity disorder is not just Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (with one good and one evil personality -- or two polar opposite personalities in general). Even if your character doesn't suffer "acute" symptoms, there's a difference between the way it actually works and the way media portrays it. (In fact, the media is almost always inaccurate when they attempt to pull off a portrayal of DID.) There's all sorts of smaller symptoms, and as I've said before, you really don't get just two personalities most of the time. (While the definition of DID states that you need two or more, most recorded cases that I know of have more than two.)

Even then, you'd need to develop each personality as if they're their own characters -- which they probably would be, in a sense. Just leaving it as the good personality versus the evil personality just sort of is all-around cliche, as it's happened all too often in media itself, ever since the publication of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Actually, if you'd like to find a visual representation, Sybil would be good, but so would Kagerou, particularly in later chapters when it's a bit clearer that the artist really did her homework. (And that's all it comes down to anyway. Homework. Yeah, it's a bit of extra work for you, but it's just something you'll need to do if you're looking to insert a disorder or disease into your fanfiction. Doing it without at least picking up a book almost guarantees that you'll end up portraying it the way media often does, and media often screws it up because they're just looking for a glamorized snapshot that only vaguely looks like the thing they're trying to represent for the sake of entertainment.)

In short, yeah, okay, your plot's different, but if you're going to put a character with DID (or any personality disorder) into a fanfic, you still have to do research on what you're trying to do and actually spend time figuring out whether or not you still want to go through with it, as the disorder would be extremely disruptive to the character's thought processes -- i.e. they won't be able to live and face the exact same sort of problems anyone else would face. If you're not up for it (as it would be pretty taxing to write about a character who has such disruptions in thought, which are really practically inevitable for real DID), then you might as well just put a psychologically healthy character into your story. =/

thanks jax for the comment .i would like to add a note that though my charachter is facing DID but the challenges he faces are differrent.he puts himself/herself into situations where he has to go through a tough choice of opinions.His dual personality would be the factor of how the plot moves on.If the charchter's inner self is weak at the momment then the negative mind would wield the results but if his strenght overpowers his negativity then his actions would give him more reasons to believe in "the good".What his actions would be are also the factors on how the chaos around him are handled and how the chaos is further worsened.The DID forces him to evolve him/her into a charchter who desperately wants to help and is also the one who wants to kill the problem away(evilish ways you know).As Jax you have quoted that my protagonist has to face a different set of challenges .It's not true because he is living in a simmiliar enivironment where the others live and the circumstances would affect him as much as it would affect the pokemon and the other inhabbitants.

Regarding the two differnt charchter's persona.Ya it's not always like "Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde" .But the DID, i feel, often shows the patient two aspects of a problem.Herein my case, the charachter does see two different views in a sitiuation but the way he deals with it is altogether different.It's not a fight of "Sciene and Medicine" but it's a fight where my chrachter gains strength from the pokemon he befriends.On his journey he shall see more of his inner self and and would somehow find a way to communicate with both of his/her personality.Thus now it's handeled that my charachters are not two different beings but the same soul having two sides

My charachters would slowly develop on their journey where they see the true(hey it's a fabn fic)way a pokemon world is operated.And as they would progress they may become one being and somehow find a solution to this complexity.

As you stated that my protagonist would have to go through a disruptive thought process.That would only be the case when the degree of the DID is extremly high,hence i'll try to portray the charachter's past where he acquires a low form of DID and still form an integral part of the story

now regarding the homework you asked me to do.I am currently looking into books and research a bitAnd i hope my work pays off.And by the way did you know my story is a suspense fan fic.

Come to think of it, I knew someone who had personality disorders. Actually, I knew him quite well...I dated him. :o

Based off experience around this person, I can tell you, Borax, that Jax is right. There are more than two. This guy had...well, I think I'll keep that information bestowed to myself, but I assure you it was more than two.

He was very moody, could never make up his mind, made up a lot of things about his past(that I'm still not sure of today), just...odd. Not the best person to date, really. The slightest thing could change his personality. My friend tore the back of his notebook off one day, and he just...got emo and depressed about it, and prior to that he was running around happily. It's just that quick. And getting him back to happy...no matter how hard I tried, he never seemed to. And I'd see him later and he'd already forgotten what had happened earlier.

Just some thoughts I think you need to take into consideration before you write you fan fic. :/

-looks at my fic- Oooooh. :o

Siiiiiilver....ooooooo. -waggles finger-

Kidding, guys! ;D

:)Thanks SiverSmeargleSplatter for giving this example.the reason yout friend was showing more than two personality is not surely a form of DID. As the environment he is in or the place he lives in gives him challenges which he may or may not be able to accept gives him room to feel depressed about and the tough choices may leave him frustrated and confused wheras my charchter lives in fantasy-created enviroment and the choices he faces are enitirely differnt .Anyways thanks for coerelating my chrachter's personality with a real life person

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • As Jax you have quoted that my protagonist has to face a different set of challenges .It's not true because he is living in a simmiliar enivironment where the others live and the circumstances would affect him as much as it would affect the pokemon and the other inhabbitants.

While, yes, a character may face the same, "Oh, this is the evil team, so I need to defeat it" challenge, you'll have to realize that there's going to be other problems on top of that because you choose to have a character with a disorder. Basically, what you're trying to go for right now is more or less the same as attempting to say that a wheelchair-bound character will be able to run the same as anyone else. There are restrictions that the disorder, regardless of the level of acuteness, will place on the character. DID tends to be an extreme disorder, so if your character has actual dissociated personalities, then your character will most likely face problems on top or within problems that you just can't ignore. The basic definition of DID, for example, would inflict depersonalization (the inability to acknowledge oneself or to feel "attached" to one's own body or self-consciousness -- sometimes to the point where, if shown a picture of one's own self, the patient would not be able to recognize the image), memory loss, and frequent time lapses, among other problems.

But the DID, i feel, often shows the patient two aspects of a problem.Herein my case, the charachter does see two different views in a sitiuation but the way he deals with it is altogether different.

...Either I've confused what you were trying to do, or you're confusing DID with another disorder. DID isn't a case of the patient being able to take on two different viewpoints of any one situation. It's a case of the patient's psyche existing in various identities or personalities that often work independently from one another (which is another problem a person with DID may face, even if he's aware that there are multiple personalities in his head). It's not only like having Bob and Tim in your head with you, either. It's like being a completely different person at times -- a completely different person. As in, there's shy and virginal you and loud and nymphomaniac you, with a distinct division between the two (as opposed to how healthy people operate, where they may display different aspects of their same personality, depending on company and situation -- like a difference between how one acts with their parents versus their group of friends). It is, simply put, the condition in which the patient literally thinks that they're more than one person. (This provides a simpler insight as to what that means, including articles.)

Thus now it's handeled that my charachters are not two different beings but the same soul having two sides

Uh, this isn't called DID. This is called "developed character." In other words, your character most likely isn't a mental patient.

Seriously, though, a developed character is essentially a character who's multifaceted and multidimensional. What that means is that you don't have one archetype. Your character simply acts the way anyone in real life would, and sometimes, people in real life do both good and bad things -- have good and bad moods that influence their actions. It doesn't mean that anyone is bipolar, schizophrenic, or a multiple. It just means that they're human, and I'm really starting to believe you're mistaking DID for an attempt to create a developed character (which, to be honest, would probably be better than attempting to pass off DID with only a very basic understanding of what it means).

As you stated that my protagonist would have to go through a disruptive thought process.That would only be the case when the degree of the DID is extremly high,

...Oh dear.

I'm sorry, but we're going to have to go back and define what DID actually is. DID symptoms, off the top of my head:

1. Multiple distinct personalities or identities. As in, yes, they will be separate from the frontrunner, or the "main" personality. Completely. That's what the word "dissociative" means.
    2. Depersonalization, the inability to feel connected with one's own body or thought processes, which means that the person will most likely be unable to recognize his own work, his own image, or anything else he's probably done.
    2a. Yes, this also means that the patient would be unable to recall personal details.
    3. Memory loss, time lapses, or a distorted perception of time.
    4. Any of various other psychological problems or symptoms, including hallucinations, depression, and seizures.

There are, of course, more than these. These are just the common ones, the ones that everyone or almost everyone quotes.

In other words, yes, your character will most likely be facing some serious mental difficulties. All of this is disruptive, even on a mild level. While the frontrunner could possibly function when he's active, it will be virtually impossible to go through an entire serial without his disorder disrupting him unless you want him to go through self-help, a therapist, or something else that would indicate to the reader that, yes, this would be a big part of his life. Psychological disorders usually are because they are, one way or another, a disruption to the way a human being would normally think. (Given that thinking is a vital asset to daily life, yes, this would be a problem.)

I'll have to apologize if any of this seems biting. I've always had an interest in abnormal psychology (because, really, who hasn't?), and I know from both observation and experience that personality disorders (even ones milder than a complete identity dissociation or at least delusion that your identity is dissociation) can be incredibly difficult and disruptive to everyday life -- or at least to the point where you have to consciously make an effort to check yourself, and even then, you most likely will find that things tend to be harder than they are for other people because the way you think is getting in your way. So, to see a psychological disorder be portrayed badly in fanfiction because the author is unfamiliar with how it works but still wants to push it into their fanfic because it would be cool just never floated my boat. Not to say that you would definitely do that, but a common problem with fanfic authors and personality disorders is that the author really doesn't ask themselves whether or not they actually:

A. Want to do the work involved with researching the disorder and portraying it accurately, with the character reacting appropriately, based on how the disorder would alter their decision-making processes and perception (of themselves, other characters, the world around them).
    B. Fully understand it enough to pull A off.
    C. Would be better off just telling the story without the disorder. Because, really, most of the time, you're just better off leaving out the disorder. Your readers won't care either way, and the people with either the disorder itself or enough of an interest to research it would actually be happier if they didn't end up reading about a character born from either the Hollywood version of the disorder or a general lack of understanding of what it is.

That isn't to say that you shouldn't do it. If you can do enough research to understand how DID works, good on you. I'm just saying you really need to sit down and think hard about who your character is, what the disorder is, and what the disorder does to your character because right now, I'm really thinking you're confusing DID with something that should happen with a normal character.

Last edited:

borax12

gosh! i forgot my line
    Years
  • hey jax that was quite informative i now understand that my charchter doesn't face DID but instead is a developed charachter.I've understood it's not the mental problems he faces but instead has problem in decision making but still i want to keep a certain level of complexity in the charachter therefore i want to ask you
    Does the DID affect a patient severly always or can it affect in lower degree because all i want is a charachter who understands life but has problems in perceiving the decisions in solid form .I am very sorry i troubled you so much but i only need some advice

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • No need to apologize. Sorry for getting a little opinionated there.

Does the DID affect a patient severly always or can it affect in lower degree

Personally, I think that DID can really only be severe, as it indicates either an extremely delusional state (as in, you're crazy enough to think that there's multiple people in your head) or an extremely unstable mind (as in, you suffer from blackouts or time lapses because you have another personality in you), depending on which professional you ask. If you take the delusional standpoint, then that's a problem in itself because, well, your character is batcrap insane. If you take the unstable mindset (which I personally tend to go with), then that means your character will most likely experience those time lapses and blackouts -- switches into another personality or identity -- at any given moment.

There's other personality disorders, though, that you could look into, many of which aren't quite as severe. It really depends, then, on what problems in perceiving decisions you want. If you want a disregard to human life, then try antisocial personality disorder (better known as sociopathy). A general detachment could possibly be represented by autism (although there's other quirks along with that, and you may want to be careful with autism because there's a chance one of your readers might actually be autistic). Classic paranoia, bipolar, maybe even clinical depression -- all of those disorders affect the way people perceive decisions and the world in general without going as far as to rip apart their personalities into different identities. I'd suggest checking out them and other disorders to see which one would not only fit but be comfortable to write about.

borax12

gosh! i forgot my line
    Years
  • thanks for opening my eyes

No need to apologize. Sorry for getting a little opinionated there.

Personally, I think that DID can really only be severe, as it indicates either an extremely delusional state (as in, you're crazy enough to think that there's multiple people in your head) or an extremely unstable mind (as in, you suffer from blackouts or time lapses because you have another personality in you), depending on which professional you ask. If you take the delusional standpoint, then that's a problem in itself because, well, your character is batcrap insane. If you take the unstable mindset (which I personally tend to go with), then that means your character will most likely experience those time lapses and blackouts -- switches into another personality or identity -- at any given moment.

There's other personality disorders, though, that you could look into, many of which aren't quite as severe. It really depends, then, on what problems in perceiving decisions you want. If you want a disregard to human life, then try antisocial personality disorder (better known as sociopathy). A general detachment could possibly be represented by autism (although there's other quirks along with that, and you may want to be careful with autism because there's a chance one of your readers might actually be autistic). Classic paranoia, bipolar, maybe even clinical depression -- all of those disorders affect the way people perceive decisions and the world in general without going as far as to rip apart their personalities into different identities. I'd suggest checking out them and other disorders to see which one would not only fit but be comfortable to write about.

I see that you have great knowledge on this topic and hence please advice meon the charachter
    what i want is-
    1.he should view or have two diiferent opinions on a sitiuation
    2.he shouldn't be mentally freak
    3.he gets to battle his choice of opinion in his inner self

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
  • As far as trainers, do you prefer to see male or female protagonists, or a mix of the two?
    A mix of the two, with the main character being female. Since I am a girl myself, and all those years before Crystal built up a still remembered history of Little-High-School-aged-Flaaffy-wished-to-have-a-Pokemon-Trainer- Rolemodel-ness. I can't really put it into any other words. Sure, there were Misty and Jessie in the anime, but nether of them got to do the true pokemon catching of season one Ash (for more than a single episode or two anyway) :P

What do you think of fics that take place in a school/academy?
    I have not read one I've truly liked yet :P. Mostly because it seems like most of them to act as if the school is set in our world rather than the pokemon one and only put in pokemon as an afterthought :(.

Honestly, if your fic could still be told without any pokemon or pokemon related studies it just does not seem like a real pokemon fanfic to me.

After all, I read fanfic for the things that make that fandom one of a kind, not to feel as if I am reliving those same awful drama filled years of the authors high school/jr high over and over again, with only the character names changing :( .

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • what i want is-
    1.he should view or have two diiferent opinions on a sitiuation
    2.he shouldn't be mentally freak
    3.he gets to battle his choice of opinion in his inner self

You could do this without giving your character any sort of personality disorder, actually. It would be an internal conflict (completely normal for the various basic types of conflict in a story), the sort a lot of developed characters go through when faced with a difficult decision.

So, yeah, if you just want to go with that, I think you'd find it to be easier to just go with a psychologically healthy character. You should really only touch psychological disorders if you intend on adding more problems to the character's daily life (problems that a normal person wouldn't face).

borax12

gosh! i forgot my line
    Years
  • THANKS

You could do this without giving your character any sort of personality disorder, actually. It would be an internal conflict (completely normal for the various basic types of conflict in a story), the sort a lot of developed characters go through when faced with a difficult decision.

So, yeah, if you just want to go with that, I think you'd find it to be easier to just go with a psychologically healthy character. You should really only touch psychological disorders if you intend on adding more problems to the character's daily life (problems that a normal person wouldn't face).

:DHey thanks jax for all the help you have given me .Finally i have decided that the FF shall be centered around a more "psychologically healthy" charachter and i shall try to portray more of the inner conflicts that the protagonists faces.Now, i have a more developed charachter in my head ,who wishes to be right but usually ends up messing the already chaotic pokemon world(It's the way i percieve it).Thanks the DID could have made my plot a bit confusing but now, i feel i am on the right track(credits to you jax).Anyways thanks a lot.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh, wow. My movie makers project is...fruity. :o

Anyway, Borax, you can just call me Silver; it's much easier.

What do you think of fics where someone has changed movesets of a Pokemon? (ex. Venonat used Hydro Pump; Starly used Bone Rush; Natu used Body Slam)

Bothers me. I read one where a Riolu had Blaze Kick. O.o Odd? It just irks me when people change the moveset of somebody for the better of the fic...but, really, it...doesn't work...in my case, anyway. It's almost as if you're ruining the Pokemon, and someone who really likes it would hate you for it. And even if it seems as if they could learn it, I still don't think it should happen. Blaze Kick is a kick, yes, and Riolu has feet, but then again, it can't make fire. Pikachu has a mouth, but are we saying that it can shoot fire? No.

If I read a story where Venonat got Flamethrower, you can bet I'll be after that person. Cool as it may seem, it's wrong.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • @ Borax: No problem. Good luck with it.

Oh, wow. My movie makers project is...fruity. :o

...Can I see this when you're done? XD

What do you think of fics where someone has changed movesets of a Pokemon? (ex. Venonat used Hydro Pump; Starly used Bone Rush; Natu used Body Slam)

Bothers me too, mostly because it's a sign that the author isn't creative enough to work within the boundaries that his own Pokemon actually has to solve the problems he's created for a character. For example (and the example that led to me calling every instance of this an Exploding Charizard), I once read a fic where the author gave his self-insertion Gary Stu a Charizard and sent him off to battle an evil team in order to rescue Jirachi. Part of this entailed fighting a number of Pokemon at once, including several Haunter. So, what does he do? Doesn't use Blast Burn or Flamethrower to sweep across the enemies. No, he uses Explosion to take out every Pokemon (including the Haunter) in one go. Never mind the fact that the Haunter should have laughed at this and that the trainer would have logically been annihilated too in a blast that big, but seriously, Explosion?

And his reasoning? "It's fanfiction, so I can do whatever I want!" Uh, no. That explanation bothers me too because, yeah, if you're writing fanfiction, chances are, you actually want to remotely respect the canon you're working with.

With less absurd examples (like one where a writer gave his Scizor Crabhammer), I still tend to be uncomfortable with it because it feels like the writer is trying to find easy ways out of problems. Part of writing fanfiction itself (or writing in general) isn't to just blast open doors where there aren't any. It's finding doors and figuring out logical solutions to the problems you've already given your characters. It makes your characters look more developed and intelligent if they work their way through using what they actually have, rather than whatever in the fandom's world you feel like giving them, you know? Yes, Scizor has claws, but that still doesn't mean it can learn Crabhammer if you want it to. It's like saying every single Pokemon with feet can learn a kick move. Some things just don't work, even in this fandom.

And if you have to do it, I'd like to see a good reason within the story for it. And I don't mean "it can learn it because it has the body part for it" or "it can learn it because I said so." I mean "it can learn it because of this elaborate side story that eventually led to it learning this move through a very logical means and heavy training that went against its typical inability to learn this move." And even then, I'd still feel like hitting the back button.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Uh, Riolu can learn Blaze Kick. o_O It's an egg move. See for yourself.

Anyway, my general opinion on most issues of modifying canon: handle it the same way as you would modifying the real world in original fiction that's set in the real world. Seeing somebody randomly make a Scizor able to use Crabhammer should weird you out exactly as much as an otherwise realistic story that randomly decides cats are able to breathe fire without this having any actual relevance to the plot. You can set a story in an alternate universe in which Scizor can use Crabhammer, sure, but readers ought to find that just as ridiculous as they would find it if you wrote an original fiction set in an alternate universe in which cats can breathe fire purely for the sake of having one cat breathe fire at one point in the story.

In other words, when you make yourself an alternate universe, you should do so very, very deliberately - not as an 'oh, I'd like this cat to breathe fire at this point, so I'll just make it possible in this world!' thing, but as an 'okay, what would happen if cats could breathe fire?' thing. This applies to fanfiction just as it applies to original fiction. Creating an alternate universe is fine, but you should do so with the intention of creating an alternate universe, not with the intention of making some random thing you want possible. Of course, it's rather ridiculous in general to create an alternate universe to specifically wonder about some random Pokémon hypothetically being able to learn some move. Maybe you could create an alternate universe in which a whole bunch of Pokémon can learn a whole bunch of attacks they can't already learn. I could accept that. But if it's only there so the main character's starter will always have a super-effective move to use while the opponent conveniently never has the same advantage, it's just a cheap way out.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back