• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    As far as trainers, do you prefer to see male or female protagonists, or a mix of the two?

Genderqueer. As in, yeah, both... in the same body. As in, yeah, they really don't care.

I tend to like writing about gender-bending protagonists, either really girly men or women who are often mistaken as being men. Oftentimes, these characters don't really realize that they are mistaken or leaning towards the opposite gender because, really, they just don't care. I really don't know why I like writing these characters. Maybe it's just to portray a certain attitude -- like a sense of general apathy that lends to them becoming reluctant heroes.

Reading about, however, I really don't care as long as they're not stereotypical, Ash Ketchum ripoffs, Mary Sues, or generally boring, undeveloped characters. Even regarding romance I don't care about putting one of each gender into a fic because, hey, if the protagonist and his/her companion are of the same gender, then there's always the option for homosexual relationships, which I'm completely cool with as long as they're done well. (The Pokemon fandom doesn't seem to touch this idea that often with original characters, which really is a shame.)

But really, it's whether or not they're developed characters that count. You could have a male or a female or whatever you prefer in a fic and still have it just not be as great as a fic with some other combination if you don't get the personalities down, you know?

What do you think of fics that take place in a school/academy?

It makes me want to write an Ouran High School Host Club/Pokemon crack crossover.

Seriously, though, I've seen a lot of high school "Ash and company go to school" AU fics (or worse -- "legendary Pokemon go to school" stories, and I'm not joking here) that just end badly, so I actually have a bias against them. If someone could show me one that's actually good, then I'll revise my opinion of them.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Seriously, though, I've seen a lot of high school "Ash and company go to school" AU fics (or worse -- "legendary Pokemon go to school" stories, and I'm not joking here) that just end badly, so I actually have a bias against them. If someone could show me one that's actually good, then I'll revise my opinion of them.

Wow. X.x That's...sad. I don't think I've seen one like that.

The worst I've come to is probably Pikachu Goes to School...and I don't remember where I saw it.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    It makes me want to write an Ouran High School Host Club/Pokemon crack crossover.

*coughcoughSeasonChampscoughcough*

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    *coughcoughSeasonChampscoughcough*

Might wanna get that cough checked out, eh Scytheteen? ;D

JR. TRAINER is about to use PIDGEY!

Will Satoshi change POKeMON?

YES

JR. TRAINER sent out PIDGEY!

Go! Daikenkai!

xD I love how they made it seem so dramatic.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    *coughcoughFanfictionAnnouncementThreadwouldbebetterforsuchdiscusssionscoughcough*

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Why would I read a fic about school when I'm counting down the days when I'm out of school?

-

Thank you everyone. Now I am reminded that I am plagued with a random cough that affects me when I sleep, so I only get two hours of sleep now.

*coughcoughFanfictionAnnouncementThreadwouldbebett erforsuchdiscusssionscoughcough*
    fanfictionannouncementthreadreallyisnttheplacefordiscussionsohewasactuallycorrectinpostinghereandimnotcapitalizinganythinginthissentencebecausemykeyboardishorriblybroken

What do you mean by 'space of five minutes'? :/
    "Hey! You're a girl!"

"Hey! You're a boy!"

"Let us make out and have babies even though we only met two seconds ago and we don't know each other that well yet!"

"...Okay!"

That's what I meant. I want build-up to the relationship that would give them a basis for romance. Like how my Pokemon couple actually knows each other for a year and a half before getting together...and their relationship is built up by being chased by axe murderers.

Somebody in my house is watching Rachel Ray.
    George Duran is better.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Not really my thing. After all:

There we were, sitting in Ms. Jones' AP Calculus class, beginning the lesson on the derivative of cosine and sine, when Johnny Johnson yells out, "This is boring! I challenge you to a battle, Mike Michaels! Go, Rattata! Go Spearow!"

I sighed. Johnny had tried the same thing during AP Chemistry. And Computer Science. And Economics. Can't he jut sit down and learn about trigonometric identities like the rest of us? How did he end up in an AP class, anyway?

And Pokemon related classes are just useless; you can jut Google everything you need to know (of course you can Google anything else you would learn in school, but the difference is, wannabe Pogeymon Masters will actually have the motivation to Google it.)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    And Pokemon related classes are just useless; you can jut Google everything you need to know (of course you can Google anything else you would learn in school, but the difference is, wannabe Pogeymon Masters will actually have the motivation to Google it.)

Depends on the class. Personally, I think battling classes are just odd, as you don't really learn how to use, for example, guns and swords in a normal school, so yeah, in that sense, Googling's probably your better bet. But Pokemology (i.e. Pokemon biology, psychology, whatever it is those researchers are studying) I'd imagine there'd be classes for, even regarding the basics, given that there's possible equivalent classes in real-world schools anyway. (Like cracking open a Politoed instead of a frog and poking around the insides in Pokemology 101.)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Agreeing with Jax here on the classes. Since I would like to think that children still have to get some basis of an education in the Pokemon world, they still go to school. And since I haven't been mentioning it enough already, my fic rises up again in the discussion.

My character still goes to school until the end of the school year, even when she turns ten. And she goes to school not to learn how to battle, though the students do still battle in their free time at school, but she goes there to learn basic skills and a little bit about Pokemon. In my version of the animeverse (it's getting to be known as a slight alternate universe, but I'm not sure on that), not everyone remains a trainer all their lives. So they learn the skills needed to get a normal job that doesn't just involve Pokemon. Because I'm sure that there's still a need for human doctors, bankers, and other jobs that don't focus on Pokemon. So people just aren't solely thinking Pokemon in school, but getting a good mix of things so they aren't lost and confused in the real world.

Personally, I think battling classes are just odd, as you don't really learn how to use, for example, guns and swords in a normal school, so yeah, in that sense, Googling's probably your better bet.
    That raises the question: Would battling basics, as in type-matching, be quickly covered in school, or would that best be left for the kids to learn on their own?

All I can think about is Earl's Pokemon Academy from G/S/C, where the focus was on battles, the Pokemon themselves, and the status inflictions. (Depending on either the Stadium 2 version, or the GameBoy version.) So in at least one form of canon, there is proof that there are some sort of battling classes in school, along with the "basic care" classes.

Bay

Years
    As far as trainers, do you prefer to see male or female protagonists, or a mix of the two?

Like everyone else, I basically don't care as long as the main character is developed and has a unique or realistic personality. On the other hand, I would like to see more female protagonists as there's not enough of them.

As far as mix goes...pretty much as long as the romance is starting from ground up and not going fast.

Well, I'm fine by them as long as there's an interesting plot going around or something along the lines line Ouran High School Host Club where wacky stuff happens. XD

On battling classes: I think it's pausable as maybe the kids can get first hand training on how really Pokemon battles are like. I think I remember at the very first episodes of the anime Ash and the gang stumbled upon a school and the students would use one of the school's Pokemon to battle.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Fair enough on the necessity of classes, though I'm trying to figure out how they would fit into a timespan equivalent to a K-5 program. Perhaps:
    "Pokemonology" (as Jax called it) would probably replace the "Science" course (IIRC in elementary school where I went we had a general "Science" course instead of separate ones called "Biology", "Chemistry", etc). Basic type matching could also be included, as some of it's based in Chemistry.

Basic training/survival skills could take the place of a Health class (though with so many fics featuring shipping, one of those classes BETTER cover STD's.)

Pokemon History replaces regular History; this is obvious.

Basic English/native language: Because trainers need to know how to read. The literature in this course can perhaps cover ancient Pokemon folklore and legends.

Basic Math: Some trainers might not use math besides to calculate how much 25 Potions, 15 Pokeballs, and 20 Antidotes cost, but they still need to learn enough math to do that much.

Physical Education: Because Pokemon training will tire a trainer out if they're not fit.

A Pokemon school doesn't really play a part in my fic since my character was schooled in the States. She ended up getting to be a trainer because she passed a written qualifying exam, which could potentially be a "high stakes test" to determine who gets a trainer's license. I've seen other fics where the rite of passage is determined by grades, and others where the final examination is a mock Pokemon battle. Neither really works in my case because of who my character is, but depending on the character's circumstances, they could very well be viable options.

I'd imagine there would be an "extended length" schooling option for kids who choose NOT to go the Pokemon training route. Perhaps an in-depth biology course for those who want to be Pokemon professors or medics, computer programming for those who program the Pokedex/Pokenav/other PokeGadget, as well as a slew of occupations that have nothing to do with Pokemon at all.

Still, I find it difficult to base an entire plotline around school. A few authors have pulled it off, though many such fics are merely shipping fics...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    On battling classes: I think it's pausable as maybe the kids can get first hand training on how really Pokemon battles are like. I think I remember at the very first episodes of the anime Ash and the gang stumbled upon a school and the students would use one of the school's Pokemon to battle.

We know it in GSC as Earl's Pokemon Academy, that doesn't teach you anything...except status problems. O_o

Notice there's always an academy in the game? RBY didn't have an 'acedemy', but in the room you get Eevee there's a chalkboard...with status conditions.

Oh my gosh. Everyone, this is my new favorite Pokemon:

Fanfiction Lounge

:3

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    We know it in GSC as Earl's Pokemon Academy, that doesn't teach you anything...except status problems. O_o
    Bay was talking about the Pokemon Academy mentioned in the ninth episode of the first season called "School of Hard Knocks!" It was the episode with Giselle, Joe, and where Pikachu beat Cubone without using any electric attacks. Plus, it was pretty much the only time where Ash swooned over a member of the female species.

I've seen other fics where the rite of passage is determined by grades, and others where the final examination is a mock Pokemon battle.
    My fic has the kids being sent out into the world by law. They have to travel for at least a year before they can decide to stop training and live a normal life. I just couldn't really decide in the planning stages how to explain my character leaving in the middle of winter for her trainer's quest/test, so I came up with the whole end of school year thing (which would put her leaving around the beginning of the summer months, or the better months for traveling) and the law.

RBY didn't have an 'acedemy', but in the room you get Eevee there's a chalkboard...with status conditions.
    R/B/Y also had the house in Viridian City which is a Pokemon school.

And that's why I said Earl's Academy differs depending on either the GameBoy version or the Stadium 2 version. I remember sitting in my living room for hours getting through Earl's Academy on S2 and learning about more than just status conditions.

Oh! And I'm sure Geography is also a course in the class, especially for trainers so that they can read a map. Unless getting lost is a requirement for trainers.

(though with so many fics featuring shipping, one of those classes BETTER cover STD's.)
    This = win

speedhost101

Electric pokemon master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2008
    I have a question.Would the fanfic area be appropriate to post a series of sprite comics?

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years

I don't like ones that actually take place at a school or an academy persay because they tend to be too much like soap operas (staged...and badly!). Though, I am doing a fic that has parts that involve bizarre experimentation at one of my fake region's supposedly top schools.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Note on the term Pokemology: I'm pretty sure it was actually mentioned in the anime. At least, Westwood V referred to Pokemon researchers as "Pokemologists" in his explanation of the Pokemon Symposium. I think. Man, it's been forever since I've seen that episode.

Also, to DarkPersian, science could also cover basics unrelated to Pokemon as well. While, yeah, the Pokemon world pivots on Pokemon in ways the real world just doesn't with animals, I don't think that elementary school (unless specifically centered around Pokemon, such as Pokemon Tech or the various Pokemon Academies) would exclude any other use for any subject other than skills needed for being a trainer, if that makes sense. What I mean is that in science, you tend to learn about a lot of different things at once (even physics), so I'd imagine the same would go with science in the Pokemon world, where Pokemology probably wouldn't so much as replace science as it would be added to it.

But I definitely agree with you about the STDs thing. And condoms. Seriously. XD

And as for the others, yeah, pretty much. History, for example, just can't be anything but replaced by Pokemon world history because apparently, the Pokemon world is an AU anyway.

As for a plot centering around Pokemon, as I've said before, Ouran High/Pokemon crossover. That's how I imagine a good academy fic would end up. XD (Yes, yes, Scytheteen, I will eventually read your fic.)

Also, to Silver, Venonat are indeed awesome.

Lastly:

I have a question.Would the fanfic area be appropriate to post a series of sprite comics?

I'd try Pixel Projects instead. We're more of a writing forum over here, whereas comics tend to be more of an art form.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Bay was talking about the Pokemon Academy mentioned in the ninth episode of the first season called "School of Hard Knocks!" It was the episode with Giselle, Joe, and where Pikachu beat Cubone without using any electric attacks. Plus, it was pretty much the only time where Ash swooned over a member of the female species.

I remember that episode. But I quit watching a million years ago...but, suprisingly, I still have ideas of what's going on. :o (not 'those' kinda ideas)

Not to mention there could be a music class (where younger kids could learn to play the Pokeflute, as well as a band/orchestra/choir for older kids)

Too bad...I don't like the flute. I play it, but hate it. I'm more of a...PokeTenorSax person. O.o

And that's why I said Earl's Academy differs depending on either the GameBoy version or the Stadium 2 version. I remember sitting in my living room for hours getting through Earl's Academy on S2 and learning about more than just status conditions.

I passed all the tests...right after I got the game. X.x

But...I was in my own room. -solitude-

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back