• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    ...Can I see this when you're done? XD

Probably not...unless I find a way to save it from my school account. X.x

Oh yeah...it has Napoleon Dynamite sound clips. xD

Uh, Riolu can learn Blaze Kick. o_O It's an egg move.

Ohhh. Sorry. ;-; Well, someone who had reviewed it said that it couldn't. But, I think I read another one with a Close Combatant Riolu. O.o

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go teach Venonat Fire Blast.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    What do you think of fics where someone has changed movesets of a Pokemon? (ex. Venonat used Hydro Pump; Starly used Bone Rush; Natu used Body Slam)

As long as it's a move that can be learned by leveling, TM or an egg move, I'm fine with it. If the move is plausible (like an Electrike with Volt Tackle), then I'm still pretty okay with it. However, when it goes too far like a Venonat using Hydro Pump (and thank god I've never seen this), you've gone too far.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    ...and I think Riolu might learn Close Combat as well... not 100% sure, but Lucario can...

I'm also not found of made-up moves - I stick to the real ones. I personally think that is a 'canon' that should be changed... if someone did it well though, I wouldn't mind so much.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    However, when it goes too far like a Venonat using Hydro Pump (and thank god I've never seen this), you've gone too far.

I guess I should quit trying to teach VenVen how to spit water, then, right? ._.;;

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Probably not...unless I find a way to save it from my school account. X.x

Oh yeah...it has Napoleon Dynamite sound clips. xD

USB flash drive! =D

Should be enough if your movie isn't extremely huge, anyway. You can get a 2 GB flash drive for about the same amount as a game for the DS. Or at least, if I recall correctly, you could.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    USB flash drive! =D

Should be enough if your movie isn't extremely huge, anyway. You can get a 2 GB flash drive for about the same amount as a game for the DS. Or at least, if I recall correctly, you could.

To save my crappy movie? Eh, noooo. X.x

Oh yeah! I got a 55 on my math test! :D And we watched Bee Movie in biology! And...I cried in band and didn't play today! :DDDD

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    To save my crappy movie? Eh, noooo. X.x

Well, if it helps, you could always delete the stuff on the flash drive later and replace it with more stuff. (I ♥ USB flash drives. They're life savers.)

Oh yeah! I got a 55 on my math test! :D And we watched Bee Movie in biology! And...I cried in band and didn't play today! :DDDD

o.o Congratulations on the math test. (I say this because, as one who royally sucks at math, I've been conditioned to think anything above a 30 is awesome.) And is Bee Movie any good? I've been curious about it, mostly because they wouldn't stop showing adverts for it whenever I'd rather be watching something else.

As for crying... *hugs*

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    What do you think of fics where someone has changed movesets of a Pokemon? (ex. Venonat used Hydro Pump; Starly used Bone Rush; Natu used Body Slam)
    WITH TEH ACTION REPLAY ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE BWAHAHAHAHA!
    I remember that my brother sharked a Sandshrew with Ice Beam and Drill Peck to beat the 'baby Pokemon' cup in Stadium 2 o_O

Back on topic, I think that many Pokemon are capable of a "Tackle" like attack where they ram their body into their opponent. Most of the time when I have a Pokemon do that in a battle, I say the Pokemon "rammed" or "tackled" (note lack of capitalization) the target.

Most of the time, I'd stick with just the moves that the Pokemon can learn in the games. (The anime takes some very stupid liberties with moves, like Pikachu's infamous "AIM 4 TEH HORN!!111!!!" attack. I think it also had a Raticate with Jump Kick). Volt Tackle is an exception - is the move so special that only the franchise's mascot can learn it? I mean, honestly...

But if your Pokemon are pulling off unrealistic moves to pwn opponents that it would usually struggle against, the Sue/Stu alarms start ringing. As I told my brother, "There are reasons Sandshrew can't learn Ice Beam and Drill Peck!"

btw, if you want to see cats breathe fire, just feed TR's Meowth a Tamato Berry XD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    o.o Congratulations on the math test. (I say this because, as one who royally sucks at math, I've been conditioned to think anything above a 30 is awesome.) And is Bee Movie any good? I've been curious about it, mostly because they wouldn't stop showing adverts for it whenever I'd rather be watching something else.

As for crying... *hugs*

Well, it had ten questions...and it was all like '4 divivded by 5 plus the square root of 6' O_o And yes, that is a good movie. :D

-ish hugged- Shankies. :3

btw, if you want to see cats breathe fire, just feed TR's Meowth a Tamato Berry XD

-takes notes- Ummm...-grabs Venonat- Eat! :3

I'd love a fire breathing Venonat. ;D

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years

What?! Inconceivable! Why do that? Work with what the Pokemon is capable of learning.

Aside from that, one of the things I loved about PMD was the fact it let Pokemon have a "base" attack outside their pool of level string/TM/tutored moves.

I actually... strongly support that Pokemon themselves can use some form of basic melee attacks (be it ramming, clawing, kicking, swatting things with their tails, punching, biting, guarding etc) when fighting. Especially when wild and uncaught since trainers are usually the one's able to bring out their full potential.

*Shrugs* But that's my outlook since I play too much fighting games and write Pokemon battles as if simulating one, preferably 2D (Or at in most cases, a SRW styled game).

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

Pretty lazy. If you're not smart enough to escape from a scenario or win a battle with the original moveset as your Pokèmon, it's really not good to read. The only type of fan fiction that the altering of movesets should occur is the type of fan fiction that slags people who hack their Pokèmon.

But, it is okay to bring instant inprovisation, like getting your Chimchar to jump onto a Geodude and punching it, as a sort of substitute move for Focus Punch or whatever, if you know what I mean.

Which brings me to another question:

In fan fics, if you're a proper reader, you will one day see the Ash Ketchum adventure with the hacked Pikachu, possible the most stories made out of the same plot ever. What are your thoughts on this hacked Pikachu in fan fics, or any hacked Pokèmon? Not talking about movesets alone here, more like an electric attack effecting a rock type Pokèmon and a Pokèmon you aquired as your starter in the first chapter that managed to defeat a team consisting of three Blastoise in the second chapter.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    In fan fics, if you're a proper reader, you will one day see the Ash Ketchum adventure with the hacked Pikachu, possible the most stories made out of the same plot ever. What are your thoughts on this hacked Pikachu in fan fics, or any hacked Pokèmon? Not talking about movesets alone here, more like an electric attack effecting a rock type Pokèmon and a Pokèmon you aquired as your starter in the first chapter that managed to defeat a team consisting of three Blastoise in the second chapter.

Actually, most rock types are part ground, which lets them resist electric. But pure rocks still get hit. But I get what you're trying to say, and personally I dislike it. It's just...creepy. O.o If it's not supposed to work, then it's not supposed to work.

As for the starter fighting Blastoise, that's when I hit the back button, or copy it, paste and quote it in the reply box, and reply with 'what the fudge.' Seriously, it's common sense. How is something like Charmander gonna beat three Blastoise? If I ever read something like that, I think I'll scream.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Actually, most rock types are part ground, which lets them resist electric. But pure rocks still get hit. But I get what you're trying to say, and personally I dislike it. It's just...creepy. O.o If it's not supposed to work, then it's not supposed to work.

And Oni is outsmarted once again. I really need to start playing my games again.

Complete leaving the topic, how's everyone's fan fiction challenge piece going?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    And Oni is outsmarted once again. I really need to start playing my games again.

Well, considering I failed a math test today, that makes me feel good. :D

I would do the FFC, it's just I wouldn't have time to keep up with it and my fic. But, I look foward to reading those who are doing the FFC this month. ^^

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years

Unless it's a parody fic where it's supposed to happen, I slowly back away and move on. Something written with such a lack of common sense as THAT is not worth even making fun of.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

Aside from what Silver's already pointed out, really, in the fanfiction field, we call characters who can do this "Mary Sues."

You can only imagine what a number of us call Ash Ketchum.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

In my fic, I don't typically allow the pokemon to use things that they can't learn normally. However, I've only actually named one move, and that was Ember near the start. So it could technically be said that what my pokemon use aren't "moves" at all, but abilities that I find match their anatomy or whatever.

Sometimes I break the rules a little bit, though. For instance, there's a Houndoom in my fic, and at one point he uses Crunch, Fire Spin, and Faint Attack all at once. He lunges forward, bites down on a foe, wraps the both of them in fire, and then disappears with the enemy still in his jaws. He then reappears elsewhere with the enemy burned to a crunchy crisp. I don't really follow the "exchange of attacks" formula in the game, but it still sounds like something that would happen.

Now, if someone had a Venonat using Hydro Pump without an insanely good explanation (it's a Mew in disguise!), then I would be rather put off. If it completely defies logic, then it pretty much blemishes the fic rather badly.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
    I don't like them :\
    I think there is so much you can do with the moves the pokemon know normally that there really isn't much of a reason to 'cheat':)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Well, my school has blocked almost every page of this thread. So, I have no idea of what's going on page 217. :/

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm leaving later today and I"ll be back on Tuesday. Try not to have too much fun without me! :D

-Silver

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011

I think it's pretty strange. Granted, I think a lot of pokémon can use moves they don't technically have in their 'official' move list. For instance, I think a Meowth could Tackle - heck, pretty much anything could tackle. And I think a fair few pokémon that don't "have" it could use Scratch and Growl, etc. to some extent. But the really outrageous ones (like a Magikarp with Razorleaf) boggles my mind. I'm sure, perhaps, there could be a way to pull it off... maybe, but I prefer to see moves that the pokémon would be expected to know.

This actually reminds me of a time in Red when I caught a Magnemite that knew Horn Drill. That was also the cartridge when my Eevee spontaneously evolved into Jolteon. Good times.

I do give some liberty with moves that would make sense if the pokémon had them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back