• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
  • Well, the problem with that is that most of us regulars joined between three months ago and present day.

On the last two pages; the only people who have been here more than a year are Bay, Jax, and Nergerk.

Hm. I feel like...ranting. Anyone else?

Yes, I got in a car wreck today. Some idiot backed into me, to make things worse. The idiot was my step dad.

Speaking of moderators, I think some of you are worrying too much over who the next moderator will be and the state of this section. Just because we have no mod at the moment that doesn't mean the fanfic place will be in chaos. All of us (and some of the other mod staffers) can take care of this place fine. ;)

Okay, okay. Sorry to bring it up, I was just wondering. I will now keep all wonderings to myself.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Wait, wait, wait.

about the Pokémon franchise being milked for all it is worth,

When hasn't it? XD

Also...

@ kcander: Ouch. Well, at least, no one was hurt. I assume.

Also also, because I'm currently preparing to cast out nets for betas (reluctant to post a request in the Beta Place right now and equally reluctant to attempt to corner someone who doesn't have time/isn't interested in the genre), two questions for the betas out there.

How long does it take you to go over someone's work?

Also:

What are your number one pet peeves (i.e., things you don't want people to do) when working with someone?

To answer my own questions (and to get the ball rolling), usually a week per chapter. Also, I can't stand it when people constantly ask when I'll get their work done (if it hasn't been more than a week), don't proofread to filter out simple mistakes before sending me their work, and blow me off (even when I explain things simply) for unexplained reasons. For the latter, while I understand that most of a beta's work are basically suggestions, I'm talking about blowing off the "For the love of God, don't use semicolons that way!" kind of blowing off.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • What are your number one pet peeves (i.e., things you don't want people to do) when working with someone?

Haven't betaed anything yet. xD But it would bother me if people tried to rush me.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • How long does it take you to go over someone's work?
    Usually 1-2 weeks, longer if situations arise (like earlier this month when I was without Internet)

What are your number one pet peeves (i.e., things you don't want people to do) when working with someone?
    Folks begging me to get my rear in gear (though fortunately that has been a non-issue with the three fics I currently beta.) I beta for grammar only (unless a plot problem is glaringly obvious; again, not an issue for the fics I currently look over) but I still want the authors to run spell-check in Word first, so I spend less time with silly typos and more time with sentence structure, punctuation, etc.

If you want more on my beta procedures, ask Bay XD

Buoysel

Years
  • @ kcander: Ouch. Well, at least, no one was hurt. I assume.

Everything is fine, NO damage to my car, chiped the paint on his.

The impact was enough to push my car a couple of inches, I was pushing on the brake pedal and on the middle of my steering wheel at the time of impact.

He got in his car stuck it in reverse and took off with out paying attention to what's behind him.

Anywhere form an hour to a couple of days.

Two things:

People who don't know how to put a space between their paragraphs;

And someone who things there fic is perfect, and refuses to accept your help.

Bay

Years
  • If you want more on my beta procedures, ask Bay XD

Yeah, he's my beta. XD Pretty much he does check over grammar during the beta process and then will point out other stuff in his reviews.

Speaking of betas DP, will give you Chapter Sixteen tonight or tomorrow. I'm still waiting for duncan to finish betaing Chapter Fifteen, but I think he'll be able to finish it by tonight (at least I hope so. XD)

Did check a couple works before. It would take me a day if I'm not busy, but that's only because I look into more things like character and pacing and not grammar. XD

If someone wants me to get the work done as soon as possible at a time I'm quite busy with other things. XD

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
    Years
  • How long does it take you to go over someone's work?

Well, I'm still getting use to looking over stories but usually between a few hours and a week.

The thing that bothers me the most is when the writers you review still do the exact things you fixed when you first reviewed. They just keep having the same errors, almost like they ignore your review in the first place.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • What are your number one pet peeves (i.e., things you don't want people to do) when working with someone?

My number one pet peeve is this: when I submit some corrections/suggestions and the writer lashes out at me for being hypercritical. Worse yet, a specific writer who did this also quoted me but typed my words herself to make me look like an idiot. Here's an example, I wrote "Start a new paragraph when you have speech," but the writer quoted me as saying "start a new paragraph at every talking sentence". I wish I was kidding. Fortunately, that author isn't still around to defile the forum with her work.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Mostly if they ignore what I've pointed out in my reviews, and do the same mistakes over and over again.
    In terms of beta-ing, I haven't had much wrong at all, although once I had done a rather long one, only for the person to never reply to my e-mails or whatnot - they just disappeared. Very annoying.

Which is why I'm calling him Bob.
    Exactly. I'm all for spelling it correctly, but in the end, I'm just going to call him "Bob." It's, uh, a French pronunciation.
    Hello? I'm the bob(andbill) around here! Come up with another name!

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaAAaAAAAAAAHHHHHHHhhhhhHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Five whole pages of Fuega chap 8...lost to the inquisitive hands of a little brother with a knack for erasing important files...-sob- My soul weeps ;_;...

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaAAaAAAAAAAHHHHHHHhhhhhHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Five whole pages of Fuega chap 8...lost to the inquisitive hands of a little brother with a knack for erasing important files...-sob- My soul weeps ;_;...
    Err... try the recycle bin? Or was he just malicous and intentionally deleted them from the Recycle bin too?

Buoysel

Years
  • AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaAAaAAAAAAAHHHHHHHhhhhhHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ouch, I lost all of my flies once thanks to a windows error. (freaking Microsoft.) I was saved because I recently backed up my fic on a jumpdrive. You might want to try that next time.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'll just keep calling him Rekhyt. I've come to like that name better than Oni Raichu, actually.

..Five whole pages of Fuega chap 8...lost to the inquisitive hands of a little brother with a knack for erasing important files...-sob- My soul weeps ;_;...

Wow. I'm sorry. D: That makes me so happy that I have my own laptop now...xD But seriously, I'm sorry. That has to suck.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    Err... try the recycle bin? Or was he just malicous and intentionally deleted them from the Recycle bin too?

Well...the thing is...I was in the middle of cleaning out unneccesary programs (this laptop has NO. MEMEROY. Srsly), and I only discovered that the Fuega file was missing AFTER I dumped the trash...rrrrrgh.

Buoysel

Years
  • Well...the thing is...I was in the middle of cleaning out unneccesary programs (this laptop has NO. MEMEROY. Srsly), and I only discovered that the Fuega file was missing AFTER I dumped the trash...rrrrrgh.

Ouch again, x10

down fall by your own hand, not good.

Try the jump drive thing. CD works too.

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
    Years
  • I'm really sorry Aqua, I have had that happen to me before, but it was more like, I was in the middle of writing and just about finished a chapter, get up to get something to drink and come back, someone had closed the file, without saving. I was furious. But I do apologize and hope you can remember the chapter =)

Bay

Years
  • (hugs Aqua)

Seriously, that sucks. I too had that happened to me with one of my stories. Chapter Five of NE was accidently deleted...by me. ^^; I was cleaning my computer,though. XD

Think of it this way: You have the chance to rewrite and make the chapter better. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back