• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
I agree with you, Bay. Certainly a lot of research is done in a lot of original fiction.

The Canon restriction is one I find to be interesting. It seems to act dually: the canon restriction acts as a safety net, allowing you a fully functional universe to operate with, but at the same time prevents you from writing anything monumental, despite the ability to write some really neat stuff.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
That's why I like my tweaks, I pull things from canon, but I add some spice and zest (yes I know they are basically the same thing). Perhaps I should write a parody one day... I remember I helped RP a parody of the first matrix, let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: Okay I found it. It contains some adult themes (despite the fact that I wrote it quite a few years ago, haha. So I'll post it on my blog here.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Of course, I imagine most fanfiction would have to involve tweaks (probably additions or justified modifications rather than removals) to canon. That way, even though it's fanfiction, the story can be more your own rather than a half-half effort by you and those who designed Pokémon. :)

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Yep, makes sense. Of course with the fanfiction though, people have to tread a little more carefully in respect with canon.

Of course this could go with OF too, as research would be crucial.

When I wrote my two fics so far, I watched a few anime episodes, both to do with aura and various characterizations and such. Thus one of the reasons I enjoyed writing the Zombie one. XD

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Yeah, I imagine there does reach a point where you can tear canon too far apart, but luckily the Pokémon universe is flexible enough to allow us to add our own Pokémon, regions, and various events. Just look at the number of fictions on here that don't follow the standard game-style pattern. :D It's quite incredible, really.

*hylian*sakura*

Rawr~ =3
Years
I prefer original fiction. Cus it just basically comes from my own mind. And I can develop my own worlds. AND I don't have to worry about getting critiqued on how well I do someone else's idea. Cus sometimes I get carried away and the characters could get changed... So original stuff is better for me.
But some people are just brilliant with fanfics! Just not me.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Lol indeed, though it is hard to tell which side has more, the ones that have the morning of getting a pokemon full with a complete breakfast (theeeeeeeeeey're great, sorry had to do that). Compared to the rest of the fics.

Plenty of those fics probably also being quite explict >.> Shipping...

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
I like original fanfiction the best. :D Basically where I take only the core aspects of what is Pokemon, the parts shared across all forms of canon, while disregarding anything else that is specific to any one single canon. If I couldn't use all my original concepts, well... I'd probably write even less than I do now. In some of what I write (I'm looking at you, TRINITY) the only linking point to Pokemon at all are the Pokemon themselves, with everything else being completely and radically different (TRINITY doesn't even have any battling or trainers in the traditional sense due to backstory reasons, for one). TFC on the other hand, while having many similarities to a more traditional Pokemon setting, ends up radically diverging with all the source energy (aka magic) and angel nonsense.

<Rambling>
Oh, and swords. They both have swords actually, and in both cases they make just as little sense. In TFC the bad guys use them because they hurt more, and the main character uses them because they literally appear out of thin air in his hands. Plus, he's a bad shot with a gun. In TRINITY they're rarely used at first, but later on become more common as they can bypass the hybrid shields that hunter drones use. (Energy-nanoblades, specifically. Think of a lightsaber with a solid core composed of nanites, or the Dragon's Tooth Sword from Deus Ex if you know what I mean. The combination of the kinetic motion of the blade itself plus the energy overloads conventional kinetic, energy, and hybrid shielding but not the more advanced phase shields) Tashima is also fond of fighting with them in the Cybernet but that's okay as who wouldn't want to try fighting with words in a virtual reality where your personal skill doesn't matter? But that all okay to me, and the rule of cool agrees. Do you get the idea that I like swords and the detail I've put into the TRINITY technology?
</Rambling>

So yeah, in short and without the rambling I don't think the magic, swords, cybernetic stuff, and spaceships in my fics exist in normal canon (Aura is close but not quite the same as what I have, and there have been a wide variety of airships but no true spaceships) so I'm sure some people would get in a fit over me calling my stuff fanfiction, but so long as I have Pokemon in them I'm pretty sure they're still fanfics by most standards.

Lash

Years
Well, I just posted my first fanfiction in awhile, first good one overall, here.

Before this, however, I was writing another fic that I'm sure would have been deemed good. I had the first and second chapters done, but I didn't post it at all. Out of this, comes a question.

Have you ever written a fic that you were confident of that never got posted? If so, why? Do you think you will ever get back to it?
Like I said, I already had two chapters in with the fic I was writing, and there was a couple of times I planned on posting it. But, somehow, it kept getting delayed up the ass. Recently, I called it quits.
I probably will get back to it one day when whatever projects I have going on now are finished.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
On the subject of restrictions, I'd like to note one thing. While I know original fiction is the more respected form of literature (and requires its own research and its own brand of creativity), it also comes with its own restriction: the element of disbelief. As in, your reader will follow you wherever you take them, but if you do something like violate the laws of physics, you'd better come up with a decent explanation that fits the world of your story. Otherwise, it just doesn't work. So, in a sense, original fiction is bound only by reality. Once you acknowledge that, you work with it to get over that and connect to the reader without sacrificing the tone of your story, if that makes sense.

Meanwhile, fanfiction has a pretty obvious restriction in that you can't violate canon (which is the reality of that franchise) without a good explanation. It's really more or less a lot like working with the reality barrier in original fiction, though, except you tend to work closer with it in fanfiction. Don't think of it like "this is canon, and I have to work around it to get my fic to work." Think of it like "this is canon, and I have to use it to get my fic to work." There's a subtle difference in that the first idea means you see canon as a barrier to which you add tweaks or which limits your creativity, whereas the second, you creatively use canon in order to suit your needs. For example:

- A bad author does not acknowledge canon, so his Professor Oak snaps at his grandson because the author doesn't understand that the canon character acts a certain way.
- A mediocre author acknowledges canon but sees it as a limitation or a crutch. Therefore, the only role Professor Oak serves in his story is as a Pokédex/starter Pokémon dispenser. Professor Oak is usually never seen again.
- A good author knows canon well enough to know how to play with it. Therefore, the fanfiction has Professor Oak as a main character, investigating ancient Pokémon in ruins recently found in Sinnoh that are not necessarily canonical. Professor Oak is accurately in character in this fanfic, and the location of the ruins (along with the species of the Pokémon in them) is believable enough to pass without making someone feel as if the writer is forcing something to be in a nonsensical location.

In other words, canon is there, and it may feel like a crutch, but really, it doesn't have to be. It's a lot like trying to write a story about your friends in a real city. You need to know both, yes, but creativity should really jump beyond that and build up from the foundation canon (and basic reality) provide, not fall back onto facts as a safety net, if that makes sense. You don't even necessarily need to create your own parts of the world or otherwise avoid canon characters or places in order to get creative. The principle works in fanfiction in franchises where there isn't as much flexibility as there is in Pokémon as well.

Point is, all too often, I see the "canon is a safety net" argument and the "canon restricts my creativity" one, but it's really not supposed to be like that unless you're not entirely confident in your use of canon. If you are, then you really can produce something that can be as good as or better than published original fiction because canon is nothing more than the same kind of reality obstacle that original fiction experiences. Knowing how to use it requires a brand of creativity that's slightly different from working with original fiction (where pulling sparkly vampires straight from your ass will get you loved by millions of angsty teens), but it's not like fanfiction is inherently a less creative or less possibly revolutionary venture than original.

(However, it does mean that the impact fanfiction makes on a population tends to be restricted only to the fans of that franchise. This is the only way fanfiction will never be as "monumental" as original.)

Sorry for the rant. I really do respect original fiction equally to fanfiction. Writing is writing for me, and there's such a thing as good and bad writing in both. Likewise, yes, original fiction allows you to establish your own laws, but, as I've said before, that can only happen if you take the time to clearly define those laws because otherwise, you really can't suspend the laws or facts that already exist in the real world.

That aside...

Have you ever written a fic that you were confident of that never got posted? If so, why? Do you think you will ever get back to it?

Oh yes. There's a number of them, some of which are actually recent. For example, there's supposed to be a sequel to Bloom about Bill's other sister (not Rose -- the one closer to Bill's age and the one who lives in Fuchsia) and how she felt growing up in his shadow, but the backstory felt like an angstbucket. I liked the main story, though, because it involved expanding Johto's mythology and because it had drama and character death and plot twists like whoa. But I never really finished it because of the blinking backstory. I might, however, after rewriting it for the umpteenth time, in part because I promised Astinus and half my LJ friends list I would.

For another, more recent example, there's a little fic that was basically a string of short scenes that portrayed five times Bill got angry (which, as far as I know, never happens in canon). I wrote up to the fifth time and then stopped because it was my 7Day7K, I failed, and I couldn't think of what else would get him pissed. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the other four times (especially the last one, which was so messed up it was all around fun to write), so I might push myself to figure something out and then post it later.

And for a third, I started writing an original trainer story (gasp, shock, horror!) in which a bubbly, happy-go-lucky kid gets involved with Missingno (not in the way that you think... and no, not in the gutter, either) and inadvertently is about to bring down destruction to the entire world (basically, the opposite of what every new trainer seems to do) because he's an idiot. Might go back to this one because I thought the idea was hilarious. (I was also half-asleep when I thought of it.)

Yeah, that comment I made a couple of pages back in which I said Bill was featured in about 90% of my fanfiction? Wasn't kidding.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Do you prefer to write fanfiction or original fiction? Why?

Fanfiction, hands down.

For whatever reason, it's just easier for me to come up with decent ideas, characters, plots, and what have ye is I have a base of sorts to leap off of. I can twist and skew the original-fiction worlds however I want to, but sometimes I find it a lot easier to do something with an already-established series: go more in-depth to something unexplained, write a continuation, or just write a good old-fashioned Trainer story. Whatever it is, it's a lot easier to come up with when it's in Pokémon form because I have something to branch off of. This makes coming up with good ideas that much easier, and the only original fiction plot I've come up with is really not that good. xD

Bay

Years
The original version of "Nothing, Everything." There were a lot of ideas in that fic that I loved, like this whole Ho-Oh/Mew debate (this was before much of D/P news came out), one Absol that stalks on some people, clues the dead person wrote, the development of this one weird couple, etc. However, I stopped because there wasn't too much character development, the story is getting to be too much like Da Vinci Code, and wasn't sure where I'm going with the middle of the story. However, I managed to get back to it (and even finish it) after playing D/P and reading the description of the plates. I just went back to the drawing board and came up with new characters and a new situation (although I brought back some ideas from the original NE ^^; ). I love the changes I did, although I wish I had incorporated some old ideas somehow. XD

Another fic is "Through the Lenses," which is basically about a Pokemon photographer (think Todd Snap from the anime) who managed to take a picture of a legendary Pokemon, but then after that many things happened. Stopped writing it because the characters didn't developed much and hadn't thought too much of the plot beforehand. I might actually go back and write it as a one shot, though. Heck, I might even have Todd Snap as the main character of the one shot since I love that guy a lot. XD

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
I... really wouldn't say I prefer either. I mean, when I write today it is generally fanfiction rather than original fiction, but I do not feel this is because I actually inherently like fanfiction better; in fact, I like to think that the kind of fanfiction I write (i.e. original characters involved in original plots in the canon universe) is really only trivially different from original fiction. The fanfiction slant in my writing lately is primarily for three reasons:

1) In (Pokémon) fanfiction, I actually have an audience that will read my work.
2) I am already writing a couple of ongoing pieces of fanfiction which I already have an idea of where are going next and thus it is generally easier to continue with them than thinking up new stories.
3) These ongoing pieces of fanfiction are something I constantly think about in my free time, allowing me to develop my plot ideas. Though I have original fiction ideas as well, those are less developed and thus I spend less time thinking about them. Essentially it's a vicious cycle that keeps me writing my fanfiction: it's already developed enough for me to seriously think about the plot, and that allows me to develop it further.

Thus, I have basically only seriously written one piece of original fiction in years ('Rebirth', a short story for my writing class, which I think I posted here but I'm not sure), but that's not because I actually prefer to write fanfiction. As I said, I don't even think of them as being fundamentally different enough for there to be any such thing as a preference for me.

(I do know that I prefer not to write traditional fanfiction, i.e. fanfiction about canon characters from a work of fiction - I have a really hard time satisfying myself that I've gotten each character's voice down right. The only canon character I've published any sort of writing about is Ash, and in both cases he was aged, giving me an excuse to let his voice have changed in the intervening years.)

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Yay so I'm back. Instead of working in my thesis, I've spent two long nights jolting down to ODF a flurry of ideas.

On the topics so far...

I have. It's from the times I was into the Saint Seiya fad (believe it!). I don't know why I never got back to it, but most probably I never will. The Pokémon and Final Fantasy fandoms consume most of my creative time.

Speaking of which, there's a Pokémon work I wrote some time ago that I recently felt like revising. I've said this before, but one of the reasons I write "hidden" (wsith a penname and such) is because of the bad image some of my favourite fandoms have where I live. Particularly Pokémon. But what am I to do... Thus I spent some time writing for "no one" and it's kinda difficult to justify that I spend so much time planning times that never "seem" to see the light.

But, to make things short, yes I do write things that never see the light despite how confident I am with them. And I intend to get back to them. Some day.

Well, being specific, I've never wrote something that is strictly categorized as "original fiction". I love fanfiction because it allows me to expand on the things that I feel about the canon, and to try and explain myself and others why I do like or do not like certain elements instead of just sticking with a "it's the way it is". Rather than a restriction such as the painted edges in a sports field, I tend to see canon as the giant bulbs that light up the stadium and the stands. The field, the world of a fandom X, has these rules that may be very obvious or covert, but as long as there are basic principles that I can follow to derive and interpolate information, I feel I can move safely in that universe.

Knowledge and capability-wise, I think I stand somewhere in what Valentine calls the "mediocre author". I know my stuff, and if I don't then I know how to do my research (such as here) which is one of the good things people say I have. I know at the same time, however, that unless my mind goes on a craze while I am doing something else, I am actually unable to do something interesting with whatever research I may have done. Which is a pity because one does not plan these stuff...

Then I can sit and write some things, but my mind still goes on expanding on what is currently my greatest problem -- because of my thinking mechanism, most of the things I end up working in are actually backstory. And if I don't somehow get them out of my head I feel like I just can't continue.

But even through they stall me beyond belief, I also feel these sudden bursts of creation actually help me because they force me to think back and try to straighten things up by revising where did this strange idea X come from?

Such is the kind of thing that happened recently. I was trying to tidy up a backstory that was left hanging in the back of my head, then after an interesting discussion a couple of pages ago in the Lounge, and thanks to help from Valentine, Giratinasaur, and others I may be forgetting, I spent the two nights of fast-paced writing and came up with this. A piece of work I've called "Sixth" about a Pokémon recovered from a fossil. The announcement is here. Again, thanks to Valentine et al for their collaboration.

And yeah, I just Shamelessly Promoted Myself. Hey, I take the chances I have.

And, unlike the other things I've wrote so far, I expect this to be "original" enough in the "fanfiction" category while most other things I write kinda follow more closely what the games/series anon provides. Such as my Final Fantasy fics which are essentially retellings of the middle part of the games, or Elusive Goals where I'm essentially revisiting the Indigo Conference Tournament. or the Saint Seiya fic I talked about either, which was simply a why the Sagittarius Cloth changed shapes... Lame, isn't it?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
[Fanfiction vs. original fiction question]

I actually haven't seriously written any original fiction, except maybe a school assignment here or there. So I guess my answer is fanfiction. It's not that I don't think I could write original fiction, it's just that I haven't tried yet. XD

...Dangit, now I kind of want to. Hello backlog, my old friend. *jots down note*

A few. They're generally unfinished though, so that probably helped with me not posting them. I've got a Suicune story called Master's Touch that I like a lot, and it really only needs a bit of polish and maybe a page's worth of writing, but I just never got around to completing it.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Okay so I am bored :P

When creating your main character, what part of that character (might) resemble you the most? (looks, personality, life experience etc)

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
When I create my main character, I try to take a part of myself, and another part that is antithetical to my personality. That way, I have an interesting character who is a challenge to write, but one I as the author don't get detached from. :)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Yay so I'm back. Instead of working in my thesis,

Lulz, that sounds familiar. *high fives for procrastination*

If I may, let me take the time to just clarify something about that mediocre writer business. Mediocre writers can't write backstory because they cling to canon like an octopus because they're too afraid to think of canon as anything other than the very core of their fanfiction, rather than a series of facts to help build the story. In other words, doing things like making up backstory is pretty much seeing canon as a jumping off point, rather than just a safety net or a wall.

So, yes.

Bad writer = "lol wut cannon?"
Mediocre writer = "I can't violate canon. Therefore, canon is my crutch and a serious limitation to my creativity."
Good writer = "I can't violate canon, but it's totally okay to go beyond it because it's only my jumping off point, not the entire lifeblood to my fanfiction. Therefore, WHEE!"

Also, your fic ad on the other thread is shiny, so therefore, I've added it to my long list of Things I Will Eventually Get To.

When creating your main character, what part of that character (might) resemble you the most? (looks, personality, life experience etc)

It's usually personality, if anything at all. For example, Viola of MKD (*pokes it repeatedly with a stick*) is shy, sheltered, somewhat gullible, and has her bursts of temper and monotone boredom. Like me in real life, pretty much. Veronica is a bossy pervert, Sebastian is just bossy, and the Trio are a bunch of sick egotists.

But generally, I try to avoid basing characters off myself, partly because it doesn't feel right to me and partly because in reality I'm a rather boring person to write about.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
by the by if anyone can get over 87% on a research essay, having completing it 3 hours before it was due (with research already complete), then please contact me, and I will give you praise!

As to answer my own question, I think if anything, my characters would usually have the same colour hair, and sometimes too be a bit shy.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
by the by if anyone can get over 87% on a research essay, having completing it 3 hours before it was due (with research already complete), then please contact me, and I will give you praise!

You won't learn if we do your work. You can pull it off on your own, trust me. First and foremost, though, you should probably stay away from the lounge, and the internet in general for that matter.

Ugh, I sound like a parent.

[Self-insert question]

I give all of my characters at least one of my characteristics. Helps me relate to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back