• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    I'm the king of things I've always despised
    I'm the gingerbread man
    Who got eaten alive
    I'm half baked! I'm fake!
    But see I've got hotels on
    Park Place and Boardwalk
    And two hundred bucks
    I pass go but, oh! Life's taken it's toll
    Have I won monopoly to forfeit my soul?
    - Company Car, Switchfoot

Breezy your siggy lyrics are the foot-soldier bomb as always :) Don't change them xD :pokes her pic of Jon:

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    Niko- I did. ><; Sorry!

.........................word limit killer.

EDIT: Nothing related to topic, but, I found this avatar that reminded me of frostweaver strongly.

Fanfiction Lounge

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    Omgsh, wth?

Frosty, you came and went without me noticing and without saying hi!

Err.. That sucks. =((

Wth is that thing.... I can hardly read it: "I'm good enough I'm smart enough And gosh darn it People like me."

Avegaille

Misaka Mikoto > you.
    Years
    Hmm, what's been going on here lately? o_o;;;

Anyways, I just cant seem to update my fic since someone took the keyboard the other day! o_O;;;

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Ivan said:
    I have a question for you guys. How do humans and Pok?mon communicate in your fics?

Hiya, Ivan.

Well, there have been several ways of doing it.

My first fic(which has a rather long name)had the human characters learning Pokespeak via school. Of course, they could only speak with captured Pok?mon, but...

Whatever.

I've also seen the telepathy thing done(human gains 'powers' or Pok?mon is Psychic-type).

And then there's the Anim? version: wave your hands like crazy and pray they understand you.

?SilverBlaze09?

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    Well, in my fic, the Pokemon can talk human language in an alternative universe, but only in that universe unless you managed to keep the powers you gained there (which will go more into detail with the sequel).

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Can't help to wonder why there's so many fanfics who's crying over how to make the trainers communicate with their Pokemon, when there's a much writer-friendly second option to the problem...

They cannot communicate.

Strangely, such a simple idea is only dwelled on by one fanfic that I've read. The total miscommunication between the new trainer and the Pokemon makes the entire OT fanfic look good.

White_Winter_Wolf

Sasuke's Female Reincarnation!
    Years
    In my fics the trainers can always communicate, though in only one of them your actully know the exact words. Its played as a bond that trainers gain through freindship where they have spent so much time together they gain the abilty. But in If I Could Change the World you know exactly what pikachu's saying, but thats only because Ash used the crystal to gain the powers of a pikachu, those making them understand each other.

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
    Years
    In my fic the pokemon can't talk in any language humans can understand. It's more of a, 'been together long enough to get the drift' thing, with some guesswork thrown in. Pokemon do understand human speech, just not the other way around.

I haven't figured out the legendaries yet, but they'll probably be the same; except for psychic types, which will probably be able to communicate on a bigger level. The pokemon do talk quite regularly with each other, though, or to themselves.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    They cannot communicate.
    I love this idea more than any other, even if it seems very basic. But then, I like seeing pokemon act more animal like in the first place. If they are just humans running around in pokemon skin that sort of kills the story for me..

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    in the second chapter of PMC, I had Hiro point out that Pokemon could understand humans but humans can't understand Pokemon. Canon-wise, this makes sense. In the anime, Pokemon seem to have absolutely no trouble understanding humans, even if they were caught just a few seconds ago. However, if you ignore anime canon, like several people on the forum seem to do, you must admit, even in the games and manga and such, a brand new Pokemon on the team seems to have absolutely no problems interpretting the meaning of an attack command they likely never heard of before. Now, there are some slight spoilers coming up, but considering they're not extremely major plot points, they probably won't make a difference. Still, avoid the next paragraph if you're wary of that kind of stuff.

I came up with an explanation for why Pokemon can understand humans like they could. Basically, whenever humans, Pokemon, anything speaks, they emmit a special set of sound waves that Pokemon are capable of hearing. These sound waves have their own complex system of meanings, much like how dolphin sonar works (dolphins do work that way, don't they?). The Nyaasu (Meowth) in the anime gets a special cameo role in PMC. After uncovering the secrets to how to pronounce the human words to these meanings, he teaches it to other Pokemon within the Rocket Gang. Because his students didn't have to discover this technique from scratch like he did, they're capable of catching on much more easily, although, they still have to deal with adjusting their vocal cords and whatnot. However, when it comes to Pokemon that can't talk.... I guess it's just basic human/Pokemon interaction. Try to guess at the meaning of body movements and whatnot, get a grip on their emotions over time, etc.

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    Agreed, I always got the impression from canon that it was one-sided, with the human doing guesswork and the pokemon having little problem interpreting.

Years
    ok i jsu twant to know what people think of the storyline this is only bullet points it dosent go deep so can you tell me what you think of the points for the 1st couple of chapters and tell me if i should write them or wether i should adapt on the points and if so how so .
    so heres the points for the 1st 2 chapters and please tell me what you think

Chapter points

Chapter one points
    1. Jamie gets home to pallet town after competing in indigo league.
    2. Jamie leaves his Golduck Nidoking and raichu at oaks but keeps Cyndaquil, Charmeleon and Pidgeotto with him.
    3. Jamie gets new cloths and Pokedex and leaves for hoen.
    4. On the bout he meets a girl called Julie and a boy called Leon who are brother and sister and are going to hoen to get their 1st Pokemon.
    5. As the bout gets attacked by team rocket Jamie saves Julie from team rocket and sends them flying with the combined power of his Pokemon.

Chapter two points
    1. The bout ports in hoen and they all get off.
    2. On his way to professor birches lab like professor oak told him to he hears a girl scream in the woods and investigates.
    3. He finds Julie and Leon being chased by a wild Scyther.
    4. After saving them from the bug Pokemon they all continue on there way to professor birches lab together
    5. When they arrive Jamie and the others are given a warm welcome by professor birch and Julie and Leon get their 1st Pokemon.
    6. Then more members of team rocket who steal some Pokemon attack the lab and Julie and Leon save the Pokemon with their new friends.
    7. Julie and Leon ask Jamie if they could travel with him since they are not experts at Pokemon yet and would like to hang around with him a bit, and he agrees.

thankyou

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    Hun, do get a very good, patient beta reader as well as a grasp of the English language.

Advice: If English isn't your first language, write in your own first, as English is emtremely complex, with many exceptions to every rule.

You're making it to be a generic OT badfic... which, you can probably gather, isn't good. Do ahve a plot.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
    It's not what you write so much as how you write it.

Without seeing your writing style in real story form I can't truly say what I think of it.

So, throw out the bullet lists and just go for it (with a good spell checker that is).

Years
    ok so if i write like the 1st chapter and it will be longer than all of this but could you tell me please where i can get somone to go through it and correct the grammer and stuff please cos i am kinda disletsic a bit :embarrass :embarrass

so is there someone here who after i write it could go through it and fix the grammer and spelling please ??

:embarrass :embarrass

Flatulus

God of Wind
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Nov 17, 2005
    I believe it has been quite some time since any of you lot have heard from me. I hope some of you remember how I said I was going to rewrite the first chapter of my fic, Destiny of Understanding, but I kept on delaying it.

Good news: It has finally been rewritten and my update schedule is no longer about once a month. I?ll be now producing chapters at least twice a week till I finish the fic. I hope this will get more readers, as the lack of support often makes me slow to update because I?m not motivated enough.

Bad News: The modifications only made things clearer and fixed a few major issues. The basic plot remains the same. Sorry if this means it is not to the liking of anyone.

Will someone now review it so I can know whether I have managed to produce even an average fic?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Orange is right regarding fanfic writing. It's about how you write, not what you write. The better you write, the more original an overused idea will become. Good writing skills will cover it up quite nicely ^^

Just look at Harry Potter... 1 dimensional characters (one is smart, one is stupid, the last being the in-between. The obviously bad guy *cough*Snape*cough* is actually the good guy! The archetypal mentor- Dumbledore, always there to assist the heros in their quest for whateve.r Surprise surprise!), yet sales go through the roof.

(somehow that Snape thing manages to "surprise" people so many times... even though it's kinda obvious how a trend started after the 3rd book regarding Snape...)

Excellent writing skills can disguise poor ideas into world-breaking ones.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back