• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Frost said:

*PC History Lesson Time!*

About the thread deleting idea... there is a reason to it due to PC's history.

this is because of an incident about three years ago. By that time, only Lightning (if we exclude Kwesi and Steve who are the first admins) out of all the people who are still active now witnessed it in person. Basically, back then PC is a lot smaller but there's a lot more activities per poster on average. OC is active now, and it was active back then as well. One day, over some unknown arguement that I can't find out exactly (I know some of it, but not all), the thread starter of Daily Chit Chat was mad and deleted the entire Daily Chit Chat, resulting in massive post number decrease on almost all members in PC. Around that similar era, an art subforum mod was at a total breakout against other members in PC. Both sides tell a completely different version of the same story regarding who started some extreme flaming/discrimination, and the crowd is slowly taking the opposite side as the art mod. As response, the art mod deleted a lot of threads, including art contests, and again the entire PC fumed at that art mod along with the staffs at that time. After one year (so then a lot of the current staff joined by now, including me) DCC got deleted by the thread starter again due to some MSN arguements against PC. Since then, threads cannot be deleted by normal members anymore, and mods can only "hide" a topic from the forum (so if the deleting is unjust, a higher staff can reverse the damage) instead of actually deleting it. Since the last day I was a mod, no staffs, except for one arguement between the first praetor and an admin, have ever deleted anything. They only hide threads now.
    Wait... was that the Cas incident?

Frost said:
    Therefore, if you want to change the title of your story, you will need to ask Niko to do it for you through a PM, which is within their job responsibility (in theory, at least, but Niko is a good mod unless he enters his anti-emo mode and you happen to be an emo at that unlucky hour). Send them a PM about the title change, and they'll do it for you. It's not hard.
    Yeah, what he said... Just ask me and I'll do it...

Banov

Master of Kecleon
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 15, 2017
    Oh, alright. Well I want to think of a hgood title I can stick to before i ask you to change the title of my fic, because I don't want to bug you about it more than once o.o"

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    frostweaver said:
    that'll depend on what country you're in o.o;;; every country sets them differently, so it's not the most accurate thing out there.

FFNet took an international guide, but no one knows about it or how to read it, so it's equally inaccurate/ineffective.

Therefore, the best thing is to simply know that it has to be suitable for teenagers (no adults-only material). If it obeys that, then you're guaranteed to be allowed to post it.

I know I'm keeping it suitable for teens, I was just asking if there's such a rating or if I should have it changed to PG-13 to better fit the rating system that fics have.... but, if what you say about the rating system is true, it probably shouldn't matter anyway so long as they know the suitable age. And you know, I did first make that rating, not with PG-13 movies in mind, but with TV-14 shows like what you can find on Adult Swim. Maybe I should leave it as is.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I remember the DCC getting deleted .____________.;

Back then I was a whiny n00b so I PMed Kwesi to get my 150 posts back XD

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Since no one posted here for such a long time (*GASP*), let's start something.

It's definite that some form of Christmas stories will be coming up when the holiday season arrive. Some Christmas fanfic writers who are serious and determined to make it good will start around now. Most likely, most of us here have read one or few Pokemon Christmas fanfics.

What parts of Pokemon Christmas fanfic is the most overdone (to a sickening point) in your opinion? What should belong in a Pokemon Christmas fanfic in order to make the celebrational fanfic good/worth reading?

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    Speaking of holiday-oriented fanfics, I would be very grateful if anybody would take a moment to check out my Halloween one-shot, [url='https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54564"]Significance[/url]. Guess I was bound to cave and post a story here sometime, huh?

Anyway, I've never actually read a Christmas Pokémon fanfic. Mainly because the ones that I started reading made my eyes bleed. Therefore, I can't speak for overly-done things in them.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Christmas fics? Ah, mistletoe and people getting stuck under it. *nods as she thinks of the bajillion Ash/Misty fics she's seen like that* Yep. That's certainly used a lot. Also, getting the 'perfect' gift for someone to tell them you love them. That's all I can think of.

As for the good things... I'd like to see maybe a fic about what pokemon do for Christmas. Maybe the pokemon version of Santa Claus if they had one. Also, a pokemon-style "It's a Wonderful Life" would be kinda cool if it were done right. Maybe it could be about Brock; I'd be dissatisfied with my life if all I ever did was cook for whiny kids. >.<

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    Who'd Brock be married to if he were what's his face in It's a Wonderful Life? :P

Of course, maybe that's why he wanted to jump too...

<3 that movie.

Anyways...

When developing your characters, do you base your characters off some type of moral development theory or just thrown in whatever you think will work for your fic? I try to have at least one character based off every stage in Kohlburg's theory, but most of 'em turn out to be level 5's. Ew.

Dumb question, I know. But it's better than having a dead fanfic lounge. *pokes it with a stick*

Edit: I don't get really get the point of having a writer's lounge lol. All of our questions are asked here anyways. =3

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    By the way, what's the point of a subforum with only one major thread most of the time? XD;

Guess it'll take awhile to slowly fill up this subforum, but when holiday comes (or days with LESS and more EASY CALCULUS homework) then i can do more reviews like last year.

If any nice people want to lend a hand against evil calculus questions, PM Frosty =D

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Easy calculus: "Find the velocity out of the following distance equation." =D

Hard calculus: "A window is made from a rectangle, with a semicircle directly placed on top. If the perimeter of the window is 20cm, what should the dimensions of the rectangular portion of the window be in order to maximize the window's size?" ;_;

Casual Billy

Wargreymon: Miracle Mega
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    I see your point.

EDIT: Since when do we have a Writer's Lounge? This is kinda neat.

EDIT x 2: Then you have your dimensions!

EDIT x 3: whoa. The second equation should be 2x + y + piy = 20. Then you have y = (20 - 2x)/(1+pi) and you substitute that into xy + (pi/2)y^2 = A. Then you maximize the equation (20 - 2x)/(1+pi)y + (pi/2)y^2 = A. Okay. That's it. I'm sure.

Last edited:

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
    Math = gross. That's the only equation that you need to know.

We had a writer's lounge for about... 2 hours now Billeh. :P I don't really think it's needed though since we've all grown so accustom to asking questions here anyways.

Years
    Yeah but now I can move those plot posts here instead of marring the forum with closed threads... >>

I just moved all of the fanfiction of the month fics into the "Fanfiction Archive" subforum... therefore, the people who complained back then could read those things now... and I also asked Jorge to make them visible even though they're over a month old...

Casual Billy

Wargreymon: Miracle Mega
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2006
    I think it's cool. It's kinda like Serebii's author's cafe, but only one thread. Wait, can we make other threads in the Writer's lounge? What would they be about, though, since we discuss just about everything...even calculus...in this thread?

EDIT: Up there i said the second equation without saying the first.

xy + (pi/2)y^2 = A

2x + y + piy = 20 [solved for y] y = (20 - 2x)/(1 + pi)

together: (20 - piy)/(2)y + (pi/2)y^2 = A

derivative = 0 = critical points

Last edited:
    Years
    Well, this thread is for being off topic. Kinda like the DCC only for this forum. Yeah you can make more threads outside of this.

Just remember that this is just for being off topic... =D

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Oh we can start threads... we can play games that involve writing abilities =D I'll re-revive the old grammar game from last year here tomorrow XD;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back