• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
  • I don't really go by anime canon at all. I try to keep things more realistic. Humans often get hurt by pokemon, whether intentionally or accidentally. Getting blasted by flamethrower would probably result in death, or at least severe burning. Pokemon may die in battle as well, although this is rare.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Ratiosu said:
    That's exactly the attitude Shirosu the Charmeleon had in one of the RPGs I'm in =P That's the drawback. It kind of makes humans and legendary Pokemon more important than regular Pokemon. But the Pokemon will just have to accept that (man, now I sound heartless =P)
    What I'm saying is, why the hell would they accept it?

If the law told people to drink from the sewers, there's no way in hell anybody would follow it unless there were armed guards at every street corner making sure nobody drank anything else. That is not the case in Pok?mon. Therefore, that doesn't work as a reason for Pok?mon who don't want it to accept being trained.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
  • Dependance maybe? Some Pokemon need trainers to care for them I suppose, and when they do grow stronger, they may find it wrong to rebel and goes against their trainer. You don't attack your mother for taking care of you right (at least I hope not)?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • Negrek said:
    Pokemon may die in battle as well, although this is rare.

In registrated trainers' battle, I'm pretty sure that even the anime got a ruling against this. Over plenty of occassions, trainers often said that it's a trainer's responsibility to forfeit a match whenever their Pokemon reaches critical condition, and some battles automatically end because a Pokemon cannot fight anymore even if they want to.

Recall how judges always say "______ is unable to continue" and the match will end already.

Therefore, it's pretty fair to say that this feature is one that can seperate a registered League Pokemon Battle from say, Team (villain) Pokemon battle.

We also know that it's all fair for a Pokemon to obey and even attack trainers from the anime (but of course anime won't let Satoshi die from this.) We've seen more than Charizard who disobeys Satoshi. Did anyone remember little Chikorita? However, it seems that once a Pokeball has successfully captured a Pokemon, that red beam will always succeeds in recalling the Pokemon *if the beam connects.* Charizard and Chikorita have to dodge those red beams from the Pokeball quite a bit...

My guess is that Pokemon can always disobey, but they're always chained to the fatal red beam of the superior Pokeball. Humans have definite power over Pokemon through the means of force (Pokeball) but Pokemon does have methods to retaliate.

Dragonfree

Years
  • Recalling a Pokémon doesn't do any harm to it, though.

Therefore, it's still no reason for the Pokémon to battle. It might as well disobey and get recalled if it doesn't want to battle, even if it for some reason can not just stomp on the trainer and walk away.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    hey, I had a thought recently.... Satoshi Tajiri's original concept for Pocket Monsters was to recreate his childhood days of bug-catching. Catching for the sport, trading captures with other kids, and keeping captures for pets. Now animals are living creatures, and like us, they are capable of free-will, but for the most part, they're driven by instinct and much less intelligent than us. Because of this, they are treated as objects to an extent, and whether you like to admit it or not, when you go to the pet store (the concept of selling these creatures for profit being another key thing here), you're going because you want to add a doggy or a kitty to your possession (to say you want to make friends with a dog or cat would be incorrect, since you're still taking them into your custody).

Anyway, I think when Pocket Monsters was first made, they had this realistic concept of animals in mind. But, to take it one step further, Pokeballs were conceived to not only make the creatures portable, but as an added bonus, they brainwash (most, usually the weaker) Pokemon into being your loyal servants, servants which do the one thing you can do inside the boundaries of the game: battle. It was a simple program, there's no grooming the Pokemon, no interacting with them, nothing but getting involved in RPG-style fights. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if all Pokemon were meant to have about as much personality as Ash's Pidgeotto (or a disobediant dog in the case of those few that don't follow commands). Sure, at the end of the game, Oak comments on how you won the Pokemon League because you love your Pokemon, but this was probably meant on the same level that people show affections when they care for animals in real life (though, that probably makes it sound like your rival beats and abuses his monsters). And since Pokemon could be treated as mere possessions, there was emphasis on trading them with human friends (or even making new friends. Japan has a lot of people, after all), or collecting a large number of them (sure, "gotta catch 'em all" is the dated English catchphrase, but the Japanese catchphrase, which still exists today, is "get Pokemon". Not collect all of them, but just gather lots of them, regardless of whether they're first befriended or not. This is why in the early days of the anime, characters would often use their number of catches for bragging rights).

The idea of Pokemon with more in-depth personalities only started to appear in mediums like the manga and anime, much later than the games, let alone the original planning of the games, and these personalities started to make them seem more human than the animals they actually are. I guess I'm getting at two things here. 1) Pokebots aren't really as bad as they're made out to be. Not that I'd intend to use them, but given the franchise's origins, it seems perfectly fine to focus on the human characters alone and make Pokemon little more than tools (don't anyone give me that "it's titled 'Pokemon' or 'Pocket Monsters', not 'Pokemon Trainers'" excuse. The title was obviously made to represent the creatures that live in the world. Humans are still the main characters, which go out and explore this world, gaining experience in tamings its monsters. It's also worth nothing that on the Japanese boxes to Red and Green version, as well as Blue and Pikachu versions later, there's a big banner which reads "The Pocket Monster Trainer", a good sign that emphasis is put on them). 2) Since Pokeballs are an instrument of the original gameplay mechanic, I wouldn't question their abilities to recall a Pokemon that's acting disobediant, even going on a rampage. For that matter, there's probably little reason to try to explain how they work. It's like trying to explain how mushrooms can turn Mario about 10 times his size. Explaining in your story is optional, but people honestly wouldn't care if it's explained or not since they're already familiar with the mechanic from their favorite games.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Years
  • What you're saying is basically, "Let's ignore this portion of canon because this portion of canon doesn't say anything on the subject."

There is nothing in game canon that indicates whether Pokémon are intelligent creatures with personalities or not, or whether Pokéballs 'brainwash'. Sure, the way the games are, you can interpret it like that. You can ALSO interpret it the other way. If it were a contradiction between game canon and animé canon, sure, you could go ahead and choose to follow the game canon instead, but the thing is that that is not the case. The only canon we have on the subject is the animé and manga, and thus we should follow that canon.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    perhaps, but do remember that the anime was kinda like this at once, and maybe the manga as well. Pokemon would be obedient, despite having never met the trainer in question before being weakened and put into a ball, with an occasional high-level Pokemon that's out of control. Notice how I used Ash's Pidgeotto as an example. Aside from being a loyalist, do you see any personality in that thing? How about Misty's Staryu and Starmie? For that matter, I don't think any canon has done much to indulge on how a Pokeball works at this point.

And no, I'm not saying to ignore that type of canon. I'm just saying that to do so shouldn't seem incorrect. And I thought fanfiction followed all types of canon.

Dragonfree

Years
  • Ash's Pidgeotto never got used much in my experience. Ash never seemed to send it out except when he needed a handy Whirlwind to blow away Weezing's smoke. Not much opportunity to develop its personality at all, so it's really no wonder.

Consider Pikachu, too - the first Pokémon character that appeared in the animé, and it doesn't even have a Pokéball. Bunch of personality right there from the start. Didn't like Ash until Ash showed he cared, but did after that. Pikachu's behaviour has never seemed the least bit brainwashed or instinct-driven. And take the episode Island of the Giant Pokémon, where Pikachu, Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Ekans and Koffing speak with subtitles. It's a very early episode, but don't try to tell me the Pokémon act the least bit unintelligent in it.

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    point. But game canon or no game canon, these writing tutorials seem to give the impression that Pokebots are a bad thing regardless, so I still feel that's worth correcting to some extent.

Oh, and for the record, Pidgeotto was used quite a bit.... before those starters came around and whored all the spotlight. It also appeared with said starters in that winter special, where they're trapped on a mountain, and yes, in its departure episode, there was quite a bit of focus on it. Yet, in all those times, it never seemed to showed much personality outside of a loyal subordinate.

Last edited:

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • How come no one mentioned the possible idea that since Ash "defeated" Pidgeotto, Pidgeotto is willing to "submit" to Ash because he has proven his strength?

Charmeleon and Charizard are kept in a Pokeball, and obviously the "brain wash" mechanism failed miserably in that regards until Charizard relives the experience of Ash's care. Only then did Charizard succeed in transforming itself into the 10000 hp tank that it is for Ash to squeeze through a lot of the upcoming battles.

(oh and since Lily will be away for a couple of days in the future, I'll temporaily look over this place for her =x And also, since I won't have anyone to chat with anymore, I can squeeze in a few reviews again)

Last edited:

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
  • Frostweaver said:
    (oh and since Lily will be away for a couple of days in the future, I'll temporaily look over this place for her =x And also, since I won't have anyone to chat with anymore, I can squeeze in a few reviews again)
    I was wondering what the heck has been keeping the reviews...
    It was his girlfriend the whole time. :P

Dragonfree

Years
  • How come no one mentioned the possible idea that since Ash "defeated" Pidgeotto, Pidgeotto is willing to "submit" to Ash because he has proven his strength?
    That's more or less my idea. :P

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • OH

MY

GOODNESS

Is it possible...?

Frostweaver got a review and dusted off his Writing Academy since November!

*pokes the Strawberry since she said that she doesn't want PM*

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • I'm disappointed; Mr. Frosty, I said to make at least 583 reviews...could you not have done that between a span of three days for Lily?

Anyway, I'm back. =X

~Zero~

Pokemon Roleplayer
    Years
  • Okay. I'm a pretty new writer here, and i posted a Fullmetal Alchenmist fan fiction. one of my goals is to become a famous writer, so please help me to do so by reading and reviewing. Thank you.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Chronicles of the Thunder alchemist
    The first Fullmetal Alchemist fan fic i ever wrote. Lieutenant Shane Mustang has alot on his plate (balancing work, and older brother who seems to love testing the patence of his superiors, trying to keep secret feelings he has for a co-worker/ friend) but now theres something more for him to worry about. Everyone remembers Barry the Butcher, the insane killer who almost killed young Edward, right? Well now theres a similar situation, but its more thasn that as Shane, with the help of Ed and his friends, begin to uncover many mysteries and startling facts about what went on in Labratory five.
    ((May contain spoliers towrd the end of the fan fic))

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62094

(P.S. In the fairness of Equivelent Exchange, i will be more than happy to read and review other fan fics as well)

Last edited:

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
  • What-EVER

*walks in yawning, freezes in place when he spots the FF forums* Whoa. It's... Bigger... Did I miss something? XD

Niko's a Super Mod, Lily Pichu's a Mod, I feel like the guy who left his hometown and joined the Army, then returned to find his hometown had grown into a homecity. XD

*looks around the FF lounge* D000d, this place is HEEE-EEWWJE! Ima explore for awhile. Good ta see y'all again! *waves and disappears back into r4nd0mivi7y*

SilverBlaze09

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back