• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction of the Month (September): Who Shot Brendan Birch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArKiVe

Back In Black
Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Oct 30, 2006
    I've never read your stories before but this one is pretty great and I hope you write more. Props to you.

xantor

...:::...
    Years
  • Wow, this is so great. I've been kept guessing the whole way through. I really have no idea but I don't think it's May. But well you neva no.

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
  • Has it been a year already? I lost track around 234 days. :) To be honest, I can update any time I want since I still have a few chapters after the last one left. It's just the fact of proofreading and editing and copy pasting and...

I make it sound like it's so hard haha. I'm just sick of fanfiction, that's all. One day! I promise! =D Until then...

Years
  • ...Until then... we form an angry mob and attack Breezeh!
    Yeah!*angry Community pplz scream*
    Charge!*we kill Breezeh*
    ::badsmile::
    Okay we'll wait for more... *sigh*

Fury of Ninetales

I'm back!
    Years
  • this fanfic is so friggin sweet!!! i like it so much that it has inspired me to write a fanfic. i can't wait for the next chapter. i love all of the plot twists that are added frequently in each chapter. you should get these published XD

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
  • Well, I gotta wait until my computer works or when at least I don't get kicked off the internet every five minutes. Hehe. :P So you might have to wait a little bit longer until I post a chapter. Or you can somehow find the other unrevised chapters roaming around the internet.

Pokemon AD Fan

drawing quietly, me
    Years
  • Sorry~ though i'm here for who-knows-how-long already i'm still like a beginner... Breezy, if you don't mind, could you tell me all the cool ffs' you wrote so I can do some easy searching for them?

Breezy

Eee.
    Years
  • How come I get a whole lot of reviews AFTER updating weeks later lol? No that that's a bad thing of course. Good to know that people are still reading hehe. Enjoy.

Helpful Hints: (So . . . uh, I've decided to help you out with clues. Whether you chose to believe them or not is up to you. . . if you do choose to follow them, I could be leading you WAY off track or getting you closer to knowing who the suspect is. Your choice, not gonna pick for ya lol)

- Just because there are a few people on the main suspects list, it doesn't mean that there aren't other suspects after all

- Don't police officers hold guns?

Another thing about helpful hints is that they may help you later on in t3h ficcy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Chapter XIV:
    Brendan gasped in horror at the sight in front of him. From behind him, he heard May gasp as well. For what he saw was so terrifying, so hair-raising, so bloodcurdling, so . . .

Cute.

"It's disgusting!" Brendan shuddered in fright.

Sure enough, hundreds of Pokedolls lined to walls of the secret room, ranging from the smallest of an Azurill doll, to the largest of a Wailmer doll, to the brightest of a Torchic doll, to the dullest of a Duskull.

May had an opposite emotion from her boyfriend's. "I'm. In. Heaven!" she said excitedly as she rushed into the room. With her sapphire eyes sparkling with joy, May picked up a Skitty doll, only to have it crumble at her touch. "What the! Just when you think you're in heaven, you wind up in hell! NO!"

Brendan blinked twice and chose not to respond to his girlfriend's comment. "Where exactly are we?" he asked instead, flinching every now and then at the sight of the Pokedolls.

Max flashed out his PokeNav at the end of Brendan's question. Scanning the area and pressing a few buttons on the device, Max answered, "It's the old Devon Corporation. They were going to add this part of Devon to the new building, but construction isn't scheduled until next year so they can build up funds or something."

"And this has to do with these freaky Pokedolls how?" Brendan questioned, curious.

Max slapped his forehead in annoyance. "Well, Devon makes Pokemon-related merchandise and since Pokedolls are based off Pokemon . . . hmm. . . . I think you can figure this one out on your own don't ya think?"

"But what Pokemon just stare at you with their beady little eyes? If they're based off actual Pokemon, they wouldn't stare at you like that. Actual Pokemon don't do that!" Brendan argued.

The black-haired trainer sighed and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Anyways . . ."

"Ha, that's right!" Brendan smirked in triumph.

Meanwhile, both Drew and May were exploring the dark and crowded room.

"This place must be very old if the dolls break at our touch," May said, watching the another doll she touched crumble. "What exactly is this place, and why would you leave such cute Pokedolls here?"

Drew rolled his eyes and sat down at the edge of an old wooden table nearby. "It's probably an extra storage room for useless crap."

"And what's that suppose to mean?"

The Pokemon Coordinator only smirked in return and leaned on his hands. Rhis caused one of the wooden legs on the table to splinter in half. Drew fell roughly on the dirty concrete floor, the old Pokedolls piling and blowing up on him.

May giggled and helped pick Drew up. "Are you alright?" she finally asked after her fits of laughed died down.

Drew only grumbled and brushed the remains of Pokedolls off of him. "Hey, what's that?" he asked, pointing behind the girl trainer.

May turned around quickly. "It's . . . it's another door," she answered as she walked over toward the other secret door, Drew following after her. "I guess those Pokedolls were hiding it. Brendan, Max, come here please."

"Well, how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" Brendan asked, sticking out his tongue soon afterward. "Yeah! Answer it captain . . . captain . . . uh . . . captain smartiedarts! You know everything else!"

Max stared dully at Brendan for a few seconds before turning toward his sister. "I don't know what you see in him sometimes."

May only shrugged, chose not to answer, and placed a hand on the rusted silver doorknob. "Think I should open the door?"

"Go for it!" Drew answered impatiently.

The blue-eyed trainer turned the knob and pushed the door open. Instantly, a fine layer of dust suffocated her. May coughed and blew the dust away before entering the room. Using the small crack of light that shone through a grimy window, May scanned the room with carefully. Her eyes rested on a figure lying in the middle of the room, bound by the arms and legs by rope. But what really caught her attention was his bright green hair . . .

"Wally!" she screamed as she ran down toward the figure and bent down on her knees.

Wally rolled over and groaned through the duct tape and gag in his mouth. His emerald-green eyes darted back and forth nervously as the other three boys rushed over.

"Who did this to you?" Brendan demanded as Drew and Max got on their knees with May to help untie the ropes that bound Wally together.

Wally's words were muffled until Brendan reached down and ripped the duct tape off of his mouth.

The green-haired trainer spat out the dirty old sock and glared at the white-haired trainer. "You didn't have to rip the tape off so hard!" he complained. "Latios, that hurt!"

Max untied the last knot and freed Wally from the ropes as Brendan stared at him impatiently. "So?" he questioned again. "Who did it?"

With the help of May, Wally sat up. Sighing and running a nervous hand through his light-green hair, he answered quietly, "I'm . . . I'm not sure actually. It was too dark to see and . . . I don't know!"

"How did you get taken in here then?" Brendan asked in a calmer voice.

Wally closed his eyes thoughtfully, thinking. "Well . . ." he began, re-opening his eyes. "When Drew ran away, I tried to follow after him, but somehow, an unseen force stopped me, though, later on, I realized I was just stepping on my shoelace," he rubbed the back of his neck at this, embarrassed, "but it was too late for me to run away, for someone took hold of me by the throat and dragged me in. I tried to get one of my Pokemon out, but the stranger took a hold of my hands as well. I guess I was rather hard to hold with me struggling and all so the strange dude knocked me unconscious, with what I don't know. I woke up later on and found myself here with my feet and arms bound together and a rather annoying headache I might add. Then you guys magically appeared and here I am, talking to you. Isn't life just plain grand?"

"Uh huh . . ." Brendan trailed off. "Why would someone want to kidnap you in the first place though?"

"Are you saying I'm not special like you to get kidnapped?" Wally snapped back.

The white-haired champion grinned innocently. "Not exactly . . ." he muttered, "but I mean, why? Why would someone want to kidnap you?"

Drew stood up and glared at the window. "Perhaps," he began, "perhaps someone lead us here to stall us. Perhaps they kidnapped Wally and tied and gagged him to keep us busy. . . . Perhaps we are here to make sure that whoever wants us gone is as far away as possible."

* * *​

Detective Tony and Officer Jacob quickly turned around and saw a groggy gym leader of Viridian City try to stand up, his dark-brown hair unkempt, his eyes weary. Trying to stand up was pointless though for soon, Green fell back down, too tired from falling through the roof to stand.

"Are you alright? Do you need to go see a doctor?" Detective Tony asked, a hint of distress in his voice for the young gym leader.

Green groaned something about why Ho-oh invented headaches before muttering, "Yeah, I'm fine, just dizzy that's all . . ."

"In that case . . ." Detective Tony trailed off, "what are you doing here, why are you here, why did you crash through our roof out of all the roofs in Rustboro and are you going to pay for the roof you left a gigantic hole in?"

Despite the fact that Green looked tired, he answered in a strong voice. "For starters, I'm here to give people some information, why I'm here is because this is the region where Brendan Birch got shot at earlier this morning, I crashed through your roof because your just unlucky like that and I might pay for the roof depending on how much it is. Hope you have insurance!"

The detective rolled his eyes and sat down on his desk. He stared at the gym leader and sighed. "Now, you said you have some information to give . . ."

Green nodded and relaxed in the dusty black couch. "I figure that whoever is running this case might need some help . . ."

"Are you calling us stupid?"

"Your words, not mine."

Officer Jacob had to hold Detective Tony back from advancing on the gym leader. "Anyway Green," the officer started. "You have new information correct?"

The gym leader shook his head. "Nope . . . well, sorta anyways," he answered, rubbing a hand behind his head. "Just gonna say that there might be new suspects that aren't exactly with us if you know what I mean . . ."

"As in not actually here or not here in the region or as in they're dead and are trying to kill Brendan for revenge kind of way?" Detective Tony remarked, smirking.

Green blinked twice before answered. "As in the 'they weren't here in the region' type of way. Supposedly anyways . . ."

"What do you mean by that?" Officer Jacob inquired. "You mean someone from like Kanto, Johto, or anywhere else could of come and shot Brendan?"

"Its possible isn't it?" Green replied, resting his hands at the back of his head. "For example, Red. He's the one that told me about Brendan one day about how he was on Team Magma and yada yada yada ya. You know how Red dislikes those evil organization and whatnot."

"Are you saying that Red did it?"

"No, just bringing up the fact that someone out of Hoenn might of tried to kill Brendan. There's Lance too of course. Why he would want to kill Brendan, I don't know." Green shrugged. "Anyways though, what suspects are on the top of your list anyways? Steven, May, Wally, what?"

"How do you know them?"

"Well, May is the new understudy of the Hoenn Pokemon League," Green started. "Steven is the last defense for the Elite 4, and Wally is known for being the rival of Brendan. All the rivals of the famous Pokemon Champions are always known for some strange reason." The gym leader shrugged again and stared outside of the window, flecks of gold lighting up his eyes.

"And do you think they did it?" Detective Tony questioned.

"Well for sure I know it's not Steven," Green answered. "He was busy helping us for what use to be the Pokemon Master's brunch thing. He left at like . . . three-ish, and it takes awhile to get from Evergrande to Littleroot. Wally and May could of, yeah, but where the hell would they get a gun anyways?"

"What about Norman, gym leader of Petalburg?"

"It's possible. He does have a gun after all."

The detective looked a bit skeptical at this, wondering how Green knew such personal information for someone he doesn't know in such a limited time. "Sorry if this is random but have you met Brendan or May before?" Detective Tony questioned curiously.

Green, puzzled by the question, answered, "Not personally, no. I know of them of course, and I saw them at the finals for the Hoenn League."

Detective Tony nodded and got up. Walking over to the officer - who was preoccupied in counting the tiles of what was left of the ceiling - he whispered in his ear, "I believe I know who tried to kill Brendan last night."

Officer Jacob scratched his head, confused. "Who?" he asked.

"He's in this room right now."

* * *​

"Have you seen my wife around Norman?" Professor Birch asked as he strode into the Rustboro Pokemon Center. "I've looked all around town and even flew back to Littleroot but haven't found her."

Norman shrugged and took a sip of his coffee. "She's probably gone shopping with my wife in Slateport or Mauville," he answered, placing his mug on a nearby table. He picked up the daily newspaper and began to read. "Nothing to worry about really."

Professor Birch collapsed in the seat in front of Norman's and drummed his fingers on the table. After a few moments of silence, he brought up, "What do you think of this entire . . . case Norman? It's kind of . . . out of proportion isn't it?"

Norman raised an eyebrow from behind his newspaper. "Well, your son was almost killed earlier this morning plus the small fact that he did become Pokemon Master just yesterday night," he replied with a hint of sarcasm. "Honestly Professor, if a kid that's saved the world, became a Hoenn Pokemon Champion, and has a pretty famous father to begin with, I'm damn sure that he would be televised if he got shot in the shoulder."

"I know that," Professor Birch retaliated with a sharp tongue. "I know that Brendan is a famous kid now. It's just . . . well . . . So many people could of tried to kill him last night, but we keep bringing in the wrong suspects."

"Oh?" Norman lowered his newspaper and looked the professor straight in the eye. "What do you mean by that . . . professor?"

Professor Birch raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean by that . . . Norman?"

Norman only shook his head and raised his newspaper up again. "Nothing. It's just makes me curious as to why you said we keep bringing in the wrong suspects. Does that mean you know who tried to murder Brendan this morning?"

"No!" the professor answered rather too quickly. "I don't! It just seems that the suspects that Detective Tony well, suspects, seem wrong. Everyone of those suspects are close to Brendan and well . . . I don't know!"

"Well maybe they were trying to get closer to Brendan in order to stab him in the back," Norman replied absentmindedly. "Who really does know anyways?"

"Apparently you do," Professor Birch replied cooly. "What do you mean by that last statement?"

"That who really knows part?"

"No, before that."

"The stab him in the back part?"

"Yeah. What exactly does that mean?"

"Exactly what it says." Norman placed the newspaper on the table and took another sip of coffee. "People are deceitful, there is no doubt about that. People build up trust only to have that trust crash down upon their heads when they're not looking. And with that, I shall get back to my reading." The gym leader put down his cup and picked up his newspaper.

From in front of the paper though, Norman didn't see Professor Birch's look of suspicion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Blah, sucky ending lol.

LaTeR dAyZ! Breezy thanks you for reviewing! ^_____^

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back